PDA

View Full Version : Lunch at your desk ideas?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

goldie
Mon, Oct-15-01, 14:59
How about some interesting suggestions for lunch at your desk. What do you LCers take to work. I'm only on day 6 of induction, but I've run out of ideas. (Actually, I haven't tried very hard. I've taken tuna and cucumbers every day. How about snacks at work?

:confused: Goldie

wangeci
Mon, Oct-15-01, 15:29
I am not sure if you have a microwave or fridge available at your work, but if you do, left overs from supper are always good, whether it be fried chicken, baked chicken, left over pork chops, or hamburgers. One of my faves is hamb, seasoned with taco seasoning, then a slice of melted cheese on it. 1 lb of hamburger makes 4 burgers, I eat 2 for supper and 2 for lunch the next day. Also, on Sundays, I generally by Romaine or leaf lettuce and wash it, cut it and spin it dry, store it in a covered bowl and I always boil at least 1 dozen eggs each Sunday. Then I have salads for lunch, with Lettuce, a tiny bit of tomato (very tiny) 2 boiled eggs sliced, a tiny bit of onion and shredded cheese and sunflower seeds with my favorite dressing. Sometimes I will slice up some boneless chicken breast on Sunday, season it with cajun seasoning and fry it, then I separate that chicken into about 5 little baggies. I will bring a baggy of chicken to work with my salad and put the baggy in the microwave for about 45 seconds and add it to my salad for cajun chicken salad. It is really yummy. A lot of this sounds like work , but just a tiny bit of time on Sunday is taken and you can have a whole weeks worth of food almost prepared.
Good luck.
Cindy

rlh
Mon, Oct-15-01, 16:53
i like taking cheese strings as a snack, along with some nuts and sometimes dill pickles (devilled eggs sometimes too) . for meals, i ususally make stuff ahead of time and freeze it in those ziploc containers - most of the time, i make a curry and heat it up at lunchtime.

because my shifts are 12 hours long, that usually means that i'm there for breakfast, lunch and dinner, so planning ahead is really the only thing that works for me (you should see the looks i get when i head into work with my bacon and eggs in the morning....lol ......somewhere between concern and envy....:)) for dinner, tho, i usually cave and buy a couple of wendy's burgers and toss the bun (again, i get some weird looks for that one too, but oh well!)

Ruth
Mon, Oct-15-01, 23:01
2 of my current faves:

Spinach salad: 2 cups spinach, 2 tbsp Kraft 3 cheese ranch (in a tiny tupperware) 1 h/b egg & 1-2 slices crisp bacon. I assemble the salad just before eating. Very satisfying (for me).

Taco salad: Romaine lettuce, cukes, sweet pepper, cauliflower, avocado, whatever lc veg you want, 4 oz ground beef cooked with taco seasoning, 1 oz grated cheese. Sometimes I warm the meat in the microwave before adding to the salad, it melts the cheese a bit. Add any kind of dressing you want to this but you won't need much.

Chicken caesar salad is another fave: self explanatory, I think.

Bottom line: leftovers. When I cook, which isn't every night, I plan to have enough to use for lunches for 1 or 2 days later in the week. Cindy prepares on Sunday, I just do extra whenever I'm cooking.

Ruth