PDA

View Full Version : Another new Low-carber (NZ)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

snookie
Sun, Feb-20-05, 15:02
Hello all you lovely people! Dare I say I am a 'failed weightwatcher 'of many years!!!!I am 46 and desperately need to lose about 6 stone!!!Seems an awful lot but am determined to get back to what I was before I married my lovely man!This is my second day doing low carbs......is any one able to point me to a list of no carb vegies or very low carb vegies please.Would love to find out how many carbs in pumpkin........i know bread pasta and rice and potatoes and kumera are out!I am really excited about some of the recipes different people have shared.It is really important I think to have a variety of dishes to make it more exciting and keep you on track. Good food is wonderful!!!!!!But even better when one is painlessly shedding those unwanted kilos. Good luck everyone

kiwigal
Mon, Feb-21-05, 00:22
Hi there fellow Kiwi!!!
Welcome to the forum :wave: ..hey be brave and open a journal..come and visit mine and I can share some tried and true recipes in yours..lots of the recipes here that look REALLY good have ingredients in that we can't get!
The good thing being that we are left with REAL food..meat , veg and dairy!!
Day 2 and you're on a roll!..looking forward to hearing from you!

kiwigal
Mon, Feb-21-05, 01:44
This may help..from the Atkins board:
Vegetables
You can have two to three cups per day of:
•alfalfa sprouts
•daikon
•mushrooms
•arugula
•endive
•parsley
•bok choy
•escarole
•peppers
•celery
•fennel
•radicchio
•chicory
•jicama
•radishes
•chives
•lettuce
•romaine lettuce
•cucumber
•mâche
•sorrel

These salad vegetables are high in phytonutrients and provide a good source of fiber.
Other Vegetables
You can have one cup per day of these veggies if salad does not exceed two cups. The following vegetables are slightly higher in carbohydrate content than the salad vegetables:
•artichoke
•celery root
•pumpkin
•artichoke hearts
•rhubarb
•asparagus
•chard
•sauerkraut
•bamboo shoots
•collard greens
•scallions
•dandelion
•snow peas
•bean sprouts
•dandelion greens
•spaghetti squash
•beet greens
•eggplant
•spinach
•broccoli
•hearts of palm
•string or wax beans
•broccoli rabe
•kale
•summer squash
•brussels
•kohlrabi
•tomato
•bean sprouts
•leeks
•turnips
•cabbage
•okra
•water chestnuts
•cauliflower
•onion
•zucchini

If a vegetable, such as spinach or tomato, cooks down significantly, it must be measured raw so as not to underestimate its carb count.
The Rules of Induction
This phase of the Atkins Nutritional Approach™ must be followed precisely to achieve success. If you do it at all incorrectly you may prevent weight loss and end up saying, "Here is another weight-loss plan that didn't work." Also, check out "Extra Cautions," below.
Memorize the following rules as though your life depends upon it. In fact, it does.
1.Eat either three regular-size meals a day or four or five smaller meals. Do not skip meals or go more than six waking hours without eating.
2.Eat liberally of combinations of fat and protein in the form of poultry, fish, shellfish, eggs and red meat, as well as pure, natural fat in the form of butter, mayonnaise, olive oil, safflower, sunflower and other vegetable oils (preferably expeller-pressed or cold-pressed).
3.Eat no more than 20 grams a day of carbohydrate, most of which must come in the form of salad greens and other vegetables. You can eat approximately three loosely packed cups of salad, or two cups of salad plus one cup of other vegetables (see Acceptable Foods).
4.Eat absolutely no fruit, bread, pasta, grains, starchy vegetables or dairy products other than cheese, cream or butter. Do not eat nuts or seeds in the first two weeks. Foods that combine protein and carbohydrates, such as chickpeas, kidney beans and other legumes, are not permitted at this time.
5.Eat nothing that isn't on the Acceptable Foods list. And that means absolutely nothing. Your "just this one taste won't hurt" rationalization is the kiss of failure during this phase of Atkins.
6.Adjust the quantity you eat to suit your appetite, especially as it decreases. When you're hungry, eat the amount that makes you feel satisfied, but not stuffed. When you're not hungry, eat a small controlled carbohydrate snack to accompany your nutritional supplements.
7.Don't assume any food is low in carbohydrate—instead, read labels. Check the carb count (it's on every package) or use a carbohydrate gram counter.
8.Eat out as often as you wish but be on guard for hidden carbs in gravies, sauces and dressings. Gravy is often made with flour or cornstarch, and sugar is sometimes an ingredient in salad dressing.
9.Use sucralose or saccharin as a sweetener. Be sure to count each packet of any of these as 1 gram of carbs.
10.Avoid coffee, tea and soft drinks that contain caffeine. Excessive caffeine has been shown to cause low blood sugar, which can make you crave sugar.
11.Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water each day to hydrate your body, avoid constipation and flush out the by-products of burning fat.
12.If you are constipated, mix a tablespoon or more of psyllium husks in a cup or more of water and drink daily. Or mix ground flaxseed into a shake or sprinkle wheat bran on a salad or vegetables.
13.At a minimum, take a good daily multivitamin with minerals, including potassium, magnesium and calcium, but without iron.
Extra Cautions
•Stay away from diet products unless they specifically state "no carbohydrates." Most such foods are for low-fat diets, not controlled carbohydrate plans.
•The words sugarless, sugar-free or "no sugar added" are not sufficient. The label must state the carbohydrate content; that's what you must go by.
•Many products you do not normally think of as foods, such as chewing gum, breath mints, cough syrups and cough drops, are filled with sugar or other caloric sweeteners. They must be avoided.
•Be wary of prepared salads at salad bars or deli counters. For example, cole slaw or even tuna-fish salad may have been prepared with sugar.