PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tracysev
Mon, Oct-15-01, 13:16
I noticed that "hard" alcohol (gin, vodka, etc.) contains no carbs. Is it safe during induction?? Pre maintenance??

The reason I ask is that I have a party to go to this weekend, and although I am sure I can keep it under control - it would be nice to have a beverage of the alcoholic kind.

I know Dr. Atkins mentioned something in the book about it, but I wanted to get everyone's opion on it.

Thanks!!! :)

Jenna
Mon, Oct-15-01, 18:28
I know that hard liquor has some carbo content in it. I think it is like 2 or 3 carbs per shot or something. I usually stick to Miller Lite, it has the lowest carbs, with only 3.4. I occasionally drink vodka and diet coke, but usually stick to the Lite. Hope I am of some help.

Natrushka
Mon, Oct-15-01, 18:37
Hard liquor like gin, vodka etc have 0 carbs. Dry wines and light beers have a few carbs per serving. Atkins says no to alcohol during Induction but I'm pretty sure that afterward it's ok. PP permits alcohol in limited quantities. What you have to look out for with alcohol is twofold: Your body would rather burn alcohol than carbs or fat. It will use the alcohol you give it before it goes after carbs and before it goes after stored fat (and it will use them in just that order, alcohol, carbs, fat) So by drinking you're missing out on fat buring. Alcohol will not throw you out of ketosis, btw. Your body takes it and turns it into ketones for fuel. The second danger with alcohol is that it lowers inhibitions; making it more likely you'll make poor decisions when it come to what you're going to eat ;)

Don't forget also that it will dehydate you, so drink plenty of water if you do indulge.

Nat