PDA

View Full Version : breastfeeding and low carb

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

4babies
Sat, Feb-19-05, 03:12
I have 4 children my youngest is 3 months old next in line is 20 months old. After having my 20 month old I went back to LC and lost my pregnancy weight quickly. This time I've gone LC but I'm still breastfeeding and I havn't lost an ounce since comming home from the hospital. Is there any evidence that although you go LC you won't loose weight if you are breastfeeding? Any advice?

smittnkitn
Thu, Mar-03-05, 22:37
Hi 4 Babies!,

I haven't heard or read anything about not losing on LC while breastfeeding, only lots of stuff about how breastfeeding helps take off pregnancy weight. Which, BTW, is not working for me...Still nursing an 8 mo. old 3-5 times a day, eating a maintenance level LC diet and my weight has simply stabilized at prepregnancy weight. Anyway milk supply started to dwindle on its own after 6 mo. so I started Lc maint. then. I've been in ketosis for weeks and nothing happening...Advice is to enjoy the little one for now and wait for your hormones to settle back down again. Oh! and drink more water!

Karenemt
Sat, Mar-05-05, 00:10
I say try to be patient (easier said than done LOL). I've been dieting and exercising faithfully since my 6 week postpartum visit, BFing the whole time. I lost nothing for 2 yrs, then tried low-carb. While I am not having the quick results that everyone else here is (probably because I didn't do an induction while BFing), I have lost 35 lb since last March 31 while still keeping my milk supply intact. I am going to keep doing this cautious approach to LCing until my son self-weans. Another good thing is that, although I'm 15 lb or so higher than prepregnancy weight, I'm almost down to my prepregnancy size, and that is what really counts. Good Luck!