PDA

View Full Version : 60-second garlic/cheddar muffins

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Nancy101
Thu, Feb-17-05, 11:17
I threw this together in 60-seconds to have for lunch with my soup. So easy and probably been done before, but I figured I'd share.

1/2 cup of almond flour
1 tsp olive oil
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic
small handful of shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp baking powder

I just threw everything in a bowl (ingredients are approximate amts) and mixed. I added the cheese last to hold it together better. Spray nonstick muffin pan and bake for 14-minutes in preheated 400-degree oven.

You could probably even microwave them, but the oven browned them very nicely.

Since I was just experimenting, I made enough "batter" to make three good size muffins.

Here's a picture -

ouzogirl
Fri, Feb-18-05, 07:40
Yum Yum!

I will have to go and get some almound flour now!

leshaimors
Wed, Mar-16-05, 13:44
i tried these and they really are good! i played with it a little trying to make a sweet treat and came up with this: used all the same ingredients except no garlic, salt, or cheddar cheese. instead i used about a tsp. of vanilla extract, 1/4 cup granular splenda, and mozzarella cheese. I also threw in a dash of cinnamon. The result was very tasty--almost like a Little Debbie oatmeal cream pie.

Nancy101
Wed, Mar-16-05, 13:48
i tried these and they really are good! i played with it a little trying to make a sweet treat and came up with this: used all the same ingredients except no garlic, salt, or cheddar cheese. instead i used about a tsp. of vanilla extract, 1/4 cup granular splenda, and mozzarella cheese. I also threw in a dash of cinnamon. The result was very tasty--almost like a Little Debbie oatmeal cream pie.

Sounds good. I've tried different variations too. Some good, some not. I'll definitely give your version a try though.

leshaimors
Wed, Mar-16-05, 13:51
i was a little leary of using mozzarella in somehting sweet, but it's so mild it just makes it kind of chewy

ouzogirl
Fri, Mar-18-05, 10:42
These were AWESOME!

I think I have a new addiction. They were so good right out of the oven with some butter on them.

I thought about making a sweet version also with a bit of cinnamon, splenda, vanilla and a light cheese-wonder if cream cheese would work ? Maybe could be lke a cinnamon type roll?

Nancy101
Fri, Mar-18-05, 10:50
These were AWESOME!

I think I have a new addiction. They were so good right out of the oven with some butter on them.

I thought about making a sweet version also with a bit of cinnamon, splenda, vanilla and a light cheese-wonder if cream cheese would work ? Maybe could be lke a cinnamon type roll?

I've done the sweet version (with cream cheese) and intead of baking in oven spread in the bottom of a small cereal bowl (sprayed with pam) and nuked for a minute or so. They kind of came out like english muffins - toasted them in toaster then and spread with a bit of butter and sf jelly. My daughter actually liked them this way.

Gailew
Fri, Mar-18-05, 10:53
I would add a bit of dill weed next time I make these. I doubled the recipe and they were a little salty, otherwise yummy. Thanx for sharing. --GAil

patricia1
Sat, Apr-16-05, 08:49
Is almond flour the same as ground almond meal? What is the carb content?

Nancy101
Sat, Apr-16-05, 08:55
Is almond flour the same as ground almond meal? What is the carb content?

Yes, it's the same - to get a more "flour" texture you can sift the meal and then re-grind the bigger pieces of almonds. For these, I just used the ground almonds as is.

I hadn't figured the carb content, but it's minimal. I'll do the calculation in a bit and post back.

jun keater
Sun, Apr-24-05, 09:00
I just made these! They are VERY good EXCEPT..... way too salty! Next time I'm only going to add a tiny pinch of salt.

Nancy101
Sun, Apr-24-05, 10:26
I just made these! They are VERY good EXCEPT..... way too salty! Next time I'm only going to add a tiny pinch of salt.

Yeah, I probably added less than 1/2 tsp - I kind of just did it as I went along.

Glad you enjoyed them.

patricia1
Mon, Apr-25-05, 19:27
Did anyone figure out the carb content on these? I would love to plug it into Fitday but I never can figure it out! Please someone help! I want to try these but I am restricting my daily carb to no more than 20 grams...

jun keater
Tue, Apr-26-05, 10:46
Alrighty! I made these again and only put in a "pinch" of salt. They are great!

ouzogirl
Wed, May-11-05, 14:28
I made another version of these:

1/2 cup of almond flour
1 tsp vegetable or light flavored oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon of splenda
2-3 tablespoons of mini carb chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking powder

Cooked them the same way...watched them a bit closer in case they burned quicker. THEY WERE AWESOME! Like a chocolate chip muffin. I bet you could even use blueberries instead of the chocolate chips.