PDA

View Full Version : Is 1200 calories really a bad thing?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Tikerberi
Sat, Oct-13-01, 11:54
I find there have been several references in several threads to 1200 calorie diets creating hunger, particularly the low-fat diets. Why is this?

I wonder if the hunger comes from the sugar (carbs) in those diets, because I'm doing approx. 1200 with less than 20 g carbs, and find my hunger gone.

One time, years ago, I decided to eliminate sugar from my diet. Within a short time I found that my appetite decreased and I was hungry less. I didn't want snacks or anything between meals. All that ended when I succumbed to a small piece of chocolate cake at a friend's birthday. That night, I was standing in front of the refrigerator, craving something, not kowing what, but having to have it.

So, is it the 1200 calories, or is it what they consist of that's important?

Natrushka
Sat, Oct-13-01, 13:36
1200 calories would only be "OK" if you weighed 100 lbs and needed to lose weight. Not a common problem. Take a look at this thread (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20767) for some information on BMR (bases metabolic rate) and what you should be eating for your weight.

One of the many side effects of ketosis is a loss of appetite, which is why it is important to eat planned meals that contain enough calories comprised of the right mix of nutrients. A 180 lb woman eating 1200 calories is telling her body that somethings not right, there's a shortage of food, famine is right around the corner and it better store up as much as it can now, before there's even less coming in.

Nat