PDA

View Full Version : new to site but not to atkins

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

c130alon
Sun, Feb-13-05, 11:52
Been on Atkins for almost a year and a half. Lost 70 lbs. in 7 months, the next ten pounds took about 3 months. Am working on the last 10 now. Someone asked me the other day if I was ever going to stop the diet now that I look "great" and I said no, I found the key, why would I ever throw it away? I never have to be fat again. And for those people who say it's so hard to lose weight after 50...hogwash! I'm 53 and a couch potato (the ONLY potato allowed in my house!). I went from a size 22 dress to a size 10. My favorite jeans are low-rise, SLIM CUT, bellbottoms (as we used to call 'em in the 70's). SLIM CUT. Repeat after me, "SLIM CUT". Amazing...and before the pounds came off, the waist started shrinking, the thighs started getting narrower. It suddenly became easier to clip my toe nails! Now I can sit Indian fashion (American Indian, that is...no 'Lotus' here) like I could when I was a kid. I love to look at myself...that "skinny" lady in the mirror is me and I'm awesome! Doing Atkins is really falling in love with yourself, the way little children love themselves before the world tells them they don't fit some kind of image or other. I'm the best me I've ever been. I bought two suits for my birthday last month...even young men check me out! I look like a model in them. Stop the diet? Hell no!

Allergymom
Sun, Feb-13-05, 14:22
Welcome to the forums..Looks like you pretty well got this woe down to a "t"..You go girlfriend..Best of luck to ya

c130alon
Mon, Feb-14-05, 05:51
for the vote of confidence. It is a way of life and it's a great way. Hope you're having wonderful success as well.

Goat Lady
Mon, Feb-14-05, 05:59
You are the one that gives us all the inspiration that we need! FANTASTIC on your loss! :) Feel proud and LET THOSE "YOUNG GUYS" LOOK! :lol: Enjoy it!

Hope to see ya around...I'm sure you can give TONS of advice and support!

c130alon
Tue, Feb-15-05, 05:00
Thanks for the kudos Goat Lady. Anything I can do to help others on the Highway to Thin is fine with me. With Atkins, it's a high-speed highway and I would love to help direct traffic!

A friend (who has also lost significant weight) and I are trying to put together an Atkins support group with live meetings as well as cyber support. I'll let you know how it works out.

Much luck to you in your journey!

Lobstergal
Tue, Feb-15-05, 05:24
Been on Atkins for almost a year and a half. Lost 70 lbs. in 7 months, the next ten pounds took about 3 months. Am working on the last 10 now. Someone asked me the other day if I was ever going to stop the diet now that I look "great" and I said no, I found the key, why would I ever throw it away? I never have to be fat again. And for those people who say it's so hard to lose weight after 50...hogwash! I'm 53 and a couch potato (the ONLY potato allowed in my house!). I went from a size 22 dress to a size 10. My favorite jeans are low-rise, SLIM CUT, bellbottoms (as we used to call 'em in the 70's). SLIM CUT. Repeat after me, "SLIM CUT". Amazing...and before the pounds came off, the waist started shrinking, the thighs started getting narrower. It suddenly became easier to clip my toe nails! Now I can sit Indian fashion (American Indian, that is...no 'Lotus' here) like I could when I was a kid. I love to look at myself...that "skinny" lady in the mirror is me and I'm awesome! Doing Atkins is really falling in love with yourself, the way little children love themselves before the world tells them they don't fit some kind of image or other. I'm the best me I've ever been. I bought two suits for my birthday last month...even young men check me out! I look like a model in them. Stop the diet? Hell no!

Just let me tell you that I loved this post. I am not quite 50 yet but well on my way to getting there (I am 43) and am struggling with losing my weight.
It was wonderful to read your very inspiring post and you have just kept me from falling off the diet and feeling sorry for myself....which is what I was about to do this morning. Thanks. I am pushing onwards :)
P.S. I would *love* to sit Indian fashion again too. I did it all the time as a child. :)

Goat Lady
Tue, Feb-15-05, 07:58
That would be GREAT! Just let us know when you get the live support set up! :)

Becky66
Tue, Feb-15-05, 10:23
I am new to this site too--it's nice to know others are out there!!

GypsyAngel
Tue, Feb-15-05, 20:49
Hi c130alon!
Congrats on your weight loss! You must feel great! :D
I read another post of yours that said you have always kept your carbs at "as close to zero per day as I possibly can". Will you up your carbs for maintenance? Just curious since you're so close to your goal. And do you exercise or was the weight loss all diet related?
Again congrats! Just curious about your WOE. :D
:wave: Gypsy

bitz
Tue, Feb-15-05, 21:56
Hey!!! Thank you so much for putting up this!!! It's definitely great to read a story like it. Now I'm even more charged up to do this. ;)

and wow... congrats on your success!!!

Sweetcake
Sat, Feb-19-05, 13:03
Welcome to the forum!!! Have a wonderful low carb week!

Miss H.M
Mon, Feb-21-05, 07:32
Big welcome c130alon!!its an honor to have you here with us!!Congratulations on your sucess!!!(sp)I really look forward toyour posts and lifetime of progress here!!please do let us know about your support site!! I'm there!!I wish i had read your post late last night, perhaps it would have stopped that bowl of ice cream from jumping into my mouth? Your enthusiasim is contagious, as your story is inspiring! I think we'd all love to see a few photos in your album here!!!some before and after ones? sweetcakes, for example, has a slide show that makes you cry, youre so happy for her!!you gotta see it!!(she posted up above me somewhere)shes AMAZING!! and so are you!!! lets see that slim cut jeans sexy mama!! :clap: cheryll

c130alon
Tue, Feb-22-05, 05:44
Miss H.M.-lol, you made my morning, Sunshine. Thank you for your kind words. I only really have one 'fat' picture...we're never too excited about having our picture taken when we're fat. But I bought 2 beautiful size 10 suits that I really NEED to have my picture taken in so I can prove to myself I'm really a size 10. I wasn't a size 10 when I WAS 10! No bowls of ice cream, darlin', we use coffee cups...small ones! And ONLY low carb ice cream. Every day is a new beginning and I hope yours is wonderful.

c130alon
Tue, Feb-22-05, 06:01
To Bitz and Betty and all of wonderful people on the net who have been so kind to me, thank you for your support. I'm there for you if you need a helping hand, I've been the gamet with cravings and whatever and managed to stay the course. I really want to help people go low carb, it's the only thing that really works.

But I have also been absolutely clobbered by people who have jumped all over me about the way I eat-here on the web. So just let me say a few things. I have no medical background and never said I did. I started by the Atkins book, and yes I did 'morph' it to suit myself. Everyone on this site is an adult and knows that they should fully investigate for themselves any change of life style that may effect their health. My assumption is that everyone on this site has done that. I believe in the Atkins diet as written...people lose tremendous amounts of weight and keep it off for life and I know of no other diet that can do that and I've done every stupid diet that was ever invented. I want everybody to do Atkins the way it's supposed to be done but there are bumps in the road for every dieter and I want to be helpful to those people. If you think my well intended advise is harmful, PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT!

nikotyme
Tue, Feb-22-05, 06:25
Howdy do C13 and welcome to the forum.

I'm with you in the claim that being 50 or more and menopausal to boot isn't an excuse to think the weight won't come off, it has for you and for me too in a big way and countless many others.

I'm making this my way of life too, heck what's not to like eh, I haven't felt this good since I was in my twenties.

lsprout
Tue, Feb-22-05, 16:30
I just wanted to pop in and say hi!! I'm Lisa, new here, too. I loved your post and you are already an inspiration to me!! I am doing ok LCing...but I plan to stick with it. Sometimes I think Slim Fit anything is not gonna happen... EVER. After reading what you've had to say...you gave me hope!! :yay: Thanks...see you around. :wave:

c130alon
Wed, Feb-23-05, 17:22
Nikotyme- thanks for the kudos and right back at you. Low carb is the only way to go and I'm certain Dr. Atkins is on a low carb cloud.

c130alon
Wed, Feb-23-05, 17:27
Isprout (Lisa)-welcome. Lots of nice people here. And a lot of support. If you stay the course, if you do low carb all the way, you're going to have to change your 'name' to "Ishrink"! You hang in there and don't give up. Remember, nothing tastes as good as thin!