PDA

View Full Version : Can you have green tea when pregnant?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lonely
Fri, Feb-11-05, 01:55
I was wondering if green tea is safe during pregnancy, As a matter of fact, I don't even know which herbs and foods are and aren't allowed during pregnancy. Does anyone here know?

Nadz
Sun, Feb-13-05, 18:00
Hi Lonely,
I'm not completely sure, but I've read that 2-3 cups should be fine when pregnant. The bigger concern is the caffeine in green tea. There are many women who drink green tea even when pregnant without any negatives. But as always, check that out with your physician. All the best!

Lonely
Tue, Feb-15-05, 04:56
Thanks, Nadz! You don't happen to know how much caffeine green tea has in comparison to coffee, do you?

Karenemt
Tue, Feb-15-05, 12:44
I gave up caffeine when I started low-carbing, and now drink Harris brand decaf green tea - it's really good!

I'm not sure about the green tea, but regular tea has less than 1/2 the caffeine of a cup of coffee. I don't think it would be a big problem to enjoy a little tea, just check with your doc or midwife to be sure or go decaf.

Nadz
Tue, Feb-15-05, 19:25
Check this out
http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/pregnancy/pregnancynutrition/3955.html
Hope it helps!

Donna I.
Thu, Feb-17-05, 10:39
When the nausea hit me, that was when I gave up my coffee and switched to tea. I use herbal ginger tea, green tea and regular tea, and I go through about 5 teabags a day. I have no concerns about caffiene in tea, it is significantly less than what you get in coffee, plus I do not feel that is poses any risk to me at all. I know that later in my pregnancy I will be going back to coffee once in a while because I enjoy it. This is baby #5 for me and I(we) have never had any ill effects from caffiene (in moderation), before or after pregnancy - even breastfeeding. I think that green tea would be beneficial because of all the anti-oxidants, there have been many health officials touting its greatness!