PDA

View Full Version : Dizziness, pins and needles

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

liddle
Fri, Oct-12-01, 08:06
Hello all,
I've been doing Atkins for 11 or 12 weeks now and I have been experiencing dizziness and numbness in my arms and hands, pins and needles just out of the blue. I drink atleast 64oz. of water a day minimum and exercise 5 days a week. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced these kinds of symptoms.
Thanks, Heather
Oh, and I also take my vitamins

Natrushka
Fri, Oct-12-01, 08:27
Any chance you've had some sugar you dont know about? I had this exact thing happen over the Thanksgiving weekend when I sampled some Sparkling Apple Cider.... hand and arms tingly and hot with that pinprick feeling. Kinda reminded me of going into shock. Headache and dizziness too. It went away after about 45 minutes and 2 litres of water.

Nat

liddle
Fri, Oct-12-01, 09:27
Hello Nat,
Thanks for the reply. I wish it were sugar induced. But no, haven't had any sugar. Unfortunately this has been going on for about two weeks and has just gotten worse. Anyone else have any ideas?
Heather

Natrushka
Fri, Oct-12-01, 09:35
I read in a post (did a search for Pins AND needles) by Doreen that this can sometimes be a result of calcium deficiency. Are you taking a supplement? (Chelated and NOT calcium carbonate)

N

doreen T
Fri, Oct-12-01, 09:41
Well, I was typing up my reply, and just saw that Nat has posted already. Yes, pins and needles are often a sign of calcium deficiency. You should be getting a bare minimum of 1,000 mg per day .. 1,200 would be better.

Calcium works in tandem with magnesium. You might consider taking extra magnesium as well ... and fortunately many calcium supplement tablets come combined with Mag all in one tablet. Look for a 2:1 formula .. ie, there is twice as much calcium as mag. Usually either 500mg Cal:250mg Mag or 333mg Cal:167mg Mag. Take 2 per day of the first strength or 3 per day of the second.

Doreen

liddle
Sat, Oct-13-01, 08:41
Hello Ladies,
Wanted to thank-you for your quick and helpful response. I sent DH out for the calcium yesterday and I do feel a little better. Time will tell if that was the problem. I sure hope so, I felt like such a gimp yesterday, arms too numb to do much and too dizzy to drive. TOTAL PITS!!!
Thanks again,
Heather