PDA

View Full Version : Fiber deducted?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LilPunkin
Tue, Feb-08-05, 16:12
Am I right in thinking that the fiber has already been deducted from any carbohydrate amount listed for an item in the data base? If so, why? I don't net anything, so if I am right in my assumptions, I won't be able to use this tool.

Thanks in advance for any help!

tamarian
Tue, Feb-08-05, 16:21
The database we use is USDA-SR17, with many of the items have the fiber pre-subtracted.

The tool calculates the calories, and checks if the fiber has been subtracted, If not, it will display the ECC as carbs-fiber. If it's already subtracted, the ECC = fiber.

This is the case for most food labels now days, where the fiber is already subtracted. If you re-subtract the fiber (which is already subtracted), you end up with hidden carbs :)

Wa'il

LilPunkin
Wed, Feb-09-05, 05:17
Thanks for the response. I wasn't aware that fiber was already subtracted in the US. I'll just continue to use FitDay.

Thanks again,

Kelley

tamarian
Wed, Feb-09-05, 05:26
Thanks for the response. I wasn't aware that fiber was already subtracted in the US. I'll just continue to use FitDay.

FitDay also subtracts the fiber in the carb count, as it also uses the USDA database data.

You use whichever you find convenient but is important to keep in mind when using online tools and labels, that you cannot subtract the fiber if it's already been subtracted.

Wa'il

adnil53
Tue, Feb-15-05, 01:10
Gosh I didn't know that... thanks tamarian! :thup:

tamarian
Tue, Feb-15-05, 06:26
Just a clarification :)

Not all items in the USDA database have the fiber deducted, but many do.

Food labels allow for two different formulas to calculate calories:

Calories = carbsx4 + proteinx4 + fatx9

Or

Calories = (carbs-fiber)x4 + proteinx4 + fatx9

Since both formulas are allowed, and no one knows which formula was used, there is no way (as far as I know) to find out if fiber was, or was not, subtracted.

Wa'il

treefrog
Thu, Feb-17-05, 12:24
So how does this equate to what we see in our reports when we set up using either PECC or the Show Fiber option?

tamarian
Thu, Feb-17-05, 12:29
So how does this equate to what we see in our reports when we set up using either PECC or the Show Fiber option?

Not sure I understand the question. But check this thread:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=234348

And let me know if you if you don't find the answer.

Wa'il

treefrog
Thu, Feb-17-05, 13:00
Thanks Wa'il, that explained it, and a post I made in another thread. I pasted the link to that same thread in case anyone else had the same question.

Cathy