PDA

View Full Version : Truth about eggs/cals...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Erin4980
Thu, Oct-11-01, 13:37
If I have three eggs scrambled...about how many carbs/fat/cals/protein am I getting? I just started this low-carg thing...and it scares me to eat this many eggs (b/c cals and fat). How many grams of protein do I need to have in a day? I don't want what I eating to turn into fat. ( am staying under 20carbs a day.)
Thanks

Natrushka
Thu, Oct-11-01, 13:42
Erin, I understand your desire to start this WOE right away, but it is important you get a copy of the book. In the meantime, Eggs are good for you. Fat is not bad. Carbs are what make you fat. For nutritional information on what you're eating visit fitday.com (www.fitday.com) and punch everything in. Its a free site and its very useful.

Nat

doreen T
Thu, Oct-11-01, 14:46
hi Erin,

Nat is right, you will learn so much from reading, and it will explain a great deal for you. Also read the articles you'll find by clicking on Low Carb Tips, on the orange menu bar at the top of the page. Especially read Low Carb Basics and Low Carb Frequently Asked Questions.

Just to answer your specific question about eggs ... they are wonderful nutritionally .. :) ... 1 large chicken egg contains: 75 calories, 5g fat, 0.6g carbs and 6.3g protein.

The carbs are evenly distributed in the white and yolk, so 0.3g in each. The fat is found ONLY in the yolk .. egg whites have zero fat. But the fat in egg yolks is rich in essential fatty acids. As well, egg yolks are one of the best sources of lecithin, from which the body derives choline, an important substance for liver, brain and nerve function. Lecithin can actually help to lower cholesterol.

Can you tell that I love eggs?? :yum:

Doreen