PDA

View Full Version : First week and already failing!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Carbartist
Tue, Feb-08-05, 04:54
Hi All! I've lost weight on Atkins before, years ago, and need to lose weight again. I decided I was going to do it right, no cheating, so I'd get maximum results.

I started Atkins Induction 8 days ago and gave up all sugar, all flour and wheat, all caffeine (which I love), all nuts (which I love), all wine (which I love)....limiting my salad (which I love) to only 2-3 cups and have been forcing myself to eat bacon and other fatty meats along with the usual protein rich foods and drinking 8+ glasses of water, and I workout at Curves 4x a week. And I don't use salt. In other words, I've been diligent... following the book to the letter. Day 1, 164. Day 2, 164. Day 3, 162.5. Day 4, 162.5. Day 5, 163.5 Day 6, 163.5. Day 7, 164. Day 8, 164.5. Day 9, 163.

On Day8, I checked my meds. Out of desperation and without checking with my doctor (no time) I halfed my blood pressure medicine (i have very mild HT) and lost a little over one pound yesterday. My clothes don't show a big difference either. I have a feeling my blood pressure med is slowing my heart TOO MUCH. When I workout I noticed I couldn't get my rate "up" to into the aerobic zone. I will talk to my Dr. about that. I'll make an appt. today. But darn it... I should have lost a few lbs by now! I'm VERY DISCOURAGED! I've never been so diciplined!! (one positive thing... I lost all cravings. But I feel LAZY a LOT.) Can someone help me?

SnakeBoy
Tue, Feb-08-05, 06:34
carbartist,
I too have been very diligent this time around, when I first did this , I lost 30 lbs really quickly, with no excercise. In Sept. i went back on it this time i began running onthe treadmill figuring I would lose twice as fast, Wrong, I hardly lost anything in the 2 1/2 mos. I got depressed and said to hell with it. During Christmas I ate and ate and ate. I gained back alot of weight.
On Jan 2, I gave myself another shot because I felt miserable. I am still doing my running I am up to 60 minutes(which I think may be too much)But I have lost an average of 4lbs per week.I am drinking alot more water than before, like over 100 oz a day.
Perhaps if you increased your water a bit by 4 more glasses and try missing a workout day this week , this may kick start your progress.

RedheadPen
Tue, Feb-08-05, 06:42
Give up the bacon. It is full of salt. I would never suggest you stopping or decreasing your medication without approval of your doctor. Thats asking for a bad situation. I am guessing its the bacon.

Carbartist
Wed, Feb-09-05, 06:31
Thanks for your suggestions Snake and Red.... Was on the road yesterday but will force more water down this week and cut the bacon. I've also slipped in a couple tablespoons of onion in some soup, so I'll stop that as well. Is there a thread here just for Strict Induction, with simple recipes, etd? This forum is HUGE! :) (that means lots of support!) I also made an appt with my Dr to talk to him about my metabolism. 2 years ago when I told him I wanted to go on Atkins he said NO!... count calories! So what do you people out there do when most of your doctors don't want you to diet with Atkins??

RedheadPen
Thu, Feb-10-05, 04:51
Most people I know either get a new doctor or just dont tell him LOL.

Here is what I do for simple.
Breakfast.... eggs with maybe 1 oz of cheese
Lunch.... Salad of greens with leftover protein from night before...IE grilled porkchop or chicken, or chicken wings
dinner... Cook enough protein for dinner and lunch tomorrow...add a green veggie ... broccoli, zucchini

I always have on hand some sliced deli meat... like chicken, low sodium ham and some thin sliced cheese Use these for rollups with a little mustard and wrap some boston lettuce around them. They can be used for a meal or a snack.

Good Luck.
Forgot to add if you are on the road... I get wendys spring salad mix with ranch dressing. OR side salad with a double cheeseburger minus the bun. OR salda with grilled chicken breast.
Most italian pizza places have wings ... wings and a salad is my fav.

kimberlyw
Thu, Feb-10-05, 05:13
Hi there!

The key is WATER. Lots of it. 8 glasses is a very bare minimum. Up your water and I swear you will be GLAD you did!

Also, I think you may not be eating enough...can you post a couple days worth of menus?

Meat and 2 cups of salad a day do not a LC WOE make. THis is not a HIGH PROTEIN Way of Eating...it is a low carb one.

Vary your foods as much as you can within the Atkins Induction Foods List (http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html) including green veggies, not just salad, and different kinds of meats. You have a world to choose from which is not just bacon. Have some cheese now and then, too! I like to make bleu cheese dressing and eat that with celery or endives! Goooood! Make shredded pork with shredded cheddar, dices tomato and onion and wrap all that in a big lettuce leaf and eat! *Faints!* If you want the recipes I use, PM me and you got it!

There's lots of variety out there, and eating right + plenty of water, you will lose weight! It's a given!

Plus? 14lbs. That is not much and it will take longer. You will not see the rapid loss that people who have more to lose have experienced.

Happy LCing!
~Kimberly

Carbartist
Thu, Feb-10-05, 06:33
EEEEEEEEEeeeeeKK!! I GAINED A POUND!!

Yesterday: 100 ounces of waatterr PLUS decaf green tea (blub blub blub)
Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1oz chedder, 2 TBS LC Katsup
Lunch: Mealoaf (homemade w/ 1 tsp onion, 1 tsp LC katsup)
Snack: 2 cups salad with 2 tBS italian dressing
Dinner: Catfish (fried in olive oil, no breading)
homemade tarter sauce w/ Hellmans and 2TBS relish

Couldn't have added up to more than 10 carbs! I'm exasperated!!

Qmass
Thu, Feb-10-05, 11:34
Hello! Your menu looks ok, I have just a few thoughts: You don't have much weight to lose, so it will probably come off slower. The "time of the month" can also affect your weight by several pounds. My blood pressure medicine slowed me down, too, but eventually enough weight came off that I could stop taking it entirely! Good luck to you - I hope things start moving soon.

toya1223
Thu, Feb-10-05, 13:08
how do you post new topic?

Swt_T
Thu, Feb-10-05, 13:19
toya1223 --

go to the top of the left side of page and u will see a little folder with the words Active Low-Carber Forums go there and then pick a forum you would like to add a thread to then at the top left side you will see where it says "new thread" click on that and there you go.

Miss H.M
Fri, Feb-11-05, 20:00
hi! Qmass is right, when its that time of the month, you dont see anything budge!!but lc'ing helps alot with the sugar cravings...give yourself a little more time, and if you still dont see a drop in pounds, perhaps get a second opinion from a new doctor about your meds...many more are switching to exercise, meditation, better eating habits, ect, instead of pills...believe it or not!! also, you may want to take messurements now, to get a better idea of how many inches or sizes you are melting off! its better than seeing those numbers plumet sometimes!!! Bacon can definatly cause a stall. as does alot of other foods, which happen in one person, but not nessesarily another..for instance..I am lactose intolerant,,,but I LOVE cheese..however, it causes a stall in my progress because I have an intolerance to dairy, including cheese, even if it is a good food for us folks on Atkins! alot of people have food allergies that they arent aware of, perhaps theres a food you may be a bit sensitive too, and not aware of? again, dont give up...read the success stories
around here, they ecko alot of what we are now experiencing at our phase of the game! its only temporary, and soon your hard work will be paying off and something to be proud of! keep up the great job!:) cheryll

RocksGirl
Sun, Feb-13-05, 18:00
Why is it so important to quit caffeine all together? I work at a bar and am on my feet allll day, and sometimes pop a caffeine tab just to keep myself moving. I find it cuts down my appetite a lot, and keeps my mind from thinking that food is going to help me move quicker.

Any help?

RocksGirl