PDA

View Full Version : How do you reward yourself?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lisaf
Wed, Oct-10-01, 10:28
I was just reading the "how often do you cheat" thread and got to wondering how other people reward themselves (or plan to reward themselves) for reaching goals (little and big!). Here are a few of mine:

1. Bake a low-carb dessert - I don't usually make low-carb desserts because I try to avoid artificial sugars so this is a great "little" goal reward.
2. Workout clothes - does double duty because in order to actually wear the workout clothes, I have to work out!
3. Any clothes at all! I can't believe I'm starting to enjoy clothes shopping again.
4. Buy a full-length mirror - we don't have one. This is my reward for getting to goal weight.
5. Yoga - this is my reward for surviving the week.

I'd love to hear what other people do!

Lisa

Atriana
Wed, Oct-10-01, 11:12
My reward will be the Atkins cruise to the Carribean in April - and all the new smaller sized clothes I will have to buy! :cool:

AmandaSo
Wed, Oct-10-01, 12:50
My reward for hitting 239 will be a clothing binge. I'll have to buy new clothes anyway, because the ones I have now are already starting to hang on me. (Stretch jeans really shouldn't be baggy, should they?) :D

Natrushka
Wed, Oct-10-01, 12:57
My rewards:

1) every 10 lbs, a bottle of Opi Nail Polish .... love that stuff
2) those big goals, S-h-o-p-p-i-n-g. At 30 lbs I over did it.... Boyfriend is scared of what I might do at 50 :devil: It can be anything, perfume, clothing, SHOES! I will never reward myself with food. Figure if I'm going to have something I'm going to have it and deal with the consequences. I've been safe so far. whew.

Nat

AmandaSo
Wed, Oct-10-01, 13:11
Nat - at 50 pounds, shop til you drop. Just remember to come home with lots of new lingerie... betcha he won't complain too much.

http://www.data-techniques.net/cwm/otn/happy/11zwinky.gif

Natrushka
Wed, Oct-10-01, 13:18
*lol* he asked me the other day when he could start buying me that stuff!

I think i'll hold off on the clothing for a while... I'm an admitted clothing horse... 3 bedroom house and while I lived there alone I occupied every closet in the place :rolleyes: Of course one can never have too many shoes ;)

N

Crowis
Wed, Oct-10-01, 13:30
I unfortunately still reward myself with food (for major goals anyway). I got in the habit of doing it because if I ever cheated on my previous attempts I would instantly quit with double load of mega guilt with a side hopelessness. Since, I believe its impossible to never ever eat some of the things I used to love again, its important to prove to myself that I can get back on the wagon, and heck. . . after not having one for four months, an oreo blizzard is enough to make a grown man weep.

For minor goals I like to buy myself things (books, tae-kwon do gear etc.)

I keep trying to tell my friends that my rewards would seem more. . well. . .rewarding if they came from someone else. . .but. . . :daze: they aren't buying it.

Mike

BaileyWS
Wed, Oct-10-01, 15:20
I echo the clothing rewards ... that's a natural consequence to the loss of inches and great incentive .... don't even have to feel guilty about it!

I don't reward with food because it defeats the point -- I had allowed myself a peice of cake on my daughter's birthday -- and believe it or not, it wasnt' THAT good -- much too sweet! Besides that it put me into the "cravings" again for a few days.

No ... my big reward is a trip back to Guatemala to clime the mountain I was unable to this past summer. Minor goals -- doing something special, clothes, a day off, I especailly like the lingerie idea :-), and I've even been known to buy myself flowers.

Karen
Wed, Oct-10-01, 15:23
When I lost the first 50 pounds I bought jewellery. At 70 pounds, new clothing. I don't think of the stuff as rewards though, I think of them as physical markers for landmarks in my life.

Karen

wenderwomn
Wed, Oct-10-01, 17:36
Boy I really need to get my act together! I don't reward myself, or I haven't yet anyway. (BTW, I reached 40 lbs. lost today, WOOHOO!) I guess it just feels like the loss itself is the ultimate reward, seeing those numbers dropping, and my clothes getting looser. :D It sure wouldn't hurt though, to buy myself some pretties....lol.

Wendy

Natrushka
Wed, Oct-10-01, 19:22
Originally posted by wenderwomn
(BTW, I reached 40 lbs. lost today, WOOHOO

WTG Wendy!!! I think you deserve some pretties too :)

Nat

wenderwomn
Thu, Oct-11-01, 12:53
Thanks Nat! I'll tell my husband that you gave me permission to go shopping....LOL! Think he'll buy it? :D

Wendy

AmandaSo
Thu, Oct-11-01, 13:05
I just thought of another way I reward myself. I have recently fallen into the CGI art world. Models, meshes and textures can be reeeeeeally expensive. I think I'm going to reward myself with a new model or mesh when I hit a certain weight.

Woohoo! I feel more motivated already!

In case you're interested, here are some samples of my work (kindly hosted by Awol's Poser Gallery, with permission)

Into the Light (http://www.posergallery.com/images/1093.jpg)

Vara of the Canyons (http://www.posergallery.com/images/1152.jpg)

1st Day of School (http://www.posergallery.com/images/1097.jpg)

Between the software and the models and textures, we're talking a few hundred dollars I spent on these three pics alone. I can't afford clothes for myself. :D

numberonewendy
Fri, Oct-12-01, 07:20
Me love new clothes :D

All the years of shopping for others, or spending my time in the grocery stores buying carbs and more carbs.

Clothes is much more fun :daze:

Natrushka
Fri, Oct-12-01, 07:28
Originally posted by wenderwomn
Thanks Nat! I'll tell my husband that you gave me permission to go shopping....LOL! Think he'll buy it? :D

If he doesnt tell him to come talk to me :devil: :lol:

Crowis
Fri, Oct-12-01, 09:55
This may seem evil. . .but. . . one of my favorite daily rewards for staying on my diet is the smug smile I can direct with devastating force on those of my friends who picked on my choice of diets from day one.

That one smile. . .what can be contained in it ;).

Sorry, but I had to tell the truth.

Mike

AmandaSo
Fri, Oct-12-01, 10:00
There's nothing evil about that, Mike. You're simply stamping out ignorance wherever you find it.

Well done.

Crowis
Fri, Oct-12-01, 10:43
The holy crusade shall not be stopped, neither by arrow nor sword, nor by the words of those who not worship the one true diet, lord of all diets, the diet for which we strive.

GRIN

Mike

AmandaSo
Fri, Oct-12-01, 10:51
Oh, my stars... We've created a monster....

http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/contrib/edoom/borgsmile.gif

Elihnig
Fri, Oct-12-01, 16:02
Low carb religion?

It has been a revelation for most of us though... :idea:

Elihnig

Karen
Fri, Oct-12-01, 18:12
...one of my favorite daily rewards for staying on my diet is the smug smile I can direct with devastating force on those of my friends

I totally agree! Especially while they are eating a plate of hydrogenated fat and carbs - or no fat and carbs that are masquerading as food - and complaining that they have no energy. :devil:

The horror...the horror.

Karen

alphabits
Fri, Oct-12-01, 18:58
This might sound lame, but I try to do the things that I've been afraid to do - when I got heavy I also picked up a pretty serious social phobia. When I was younger I was the person who would do anything - willing to talk to anyone, willing to go to any new place. The bigger I got, the more I found myself afraid of the outside. I went to work because I could hide behind my desk, and I came home cause I could eat all I wanted without being stared at.

Anyway... now I'm getting my old self back a bit. I'm still terrified of public places, but when I need to be rewarded I find something I haven't done yet, and do it. I find that it is an even better feeling if you are REALLY scared of something. For example - I hadn't been to a bar in well over a year. Last week I went to watch my friend perform at the local pub and loved every minute of it! That was rewarding!!

Next month I'm going to shell out the big bucks and go to an NHL game for the first time ever ( I know, how dare I call myself a Canadian?? :devil: ) And I'm going to go to Ottawa and stay at a fancy schmancy hotel. If I cheat a little while I'm there so be it! ;)

Anyway, thanks again y'all for listening to my rants -
I feel like you are all becoming my friends :bhug:
Cheers,
Lisa

numberonewendy
Fri, Oct-12-01, 19:09
now I'm getting my old self back a bit. I'm still terrified of public places, but when I need to be rewarded I find something I haven't done yet, and do it. I find that it is an even better feeling if you are REALLY scared of something. For example - I hadn't been to a bar in well over a year. Last week I went to watch my friend perform at the local pub and loved every minute of it! That was rewarding!!

OMG..thats pretty much what happened to me. I felt so huge, nothing to wear either.

This past summer (imagine its past already :( ) I went to so many concerts, visited friends...did all kinds of things...

Its terrific, and well worth it....you go girl..reward yourself...look at the fun you had :D

And I'm going to go to Ottawa and stay at a fancy schmancy hotel.

Umm been there...man are they expensive! BEWARE!!!

Natrushka
Fri, Oct-12-01, 20:46
Originally posted by alphabits
And I'm going to go to Ottawa and stay at a fancy schmancy hotel.

Hey if you need any help finding one let me know :) I know most of them inside out; It's part of my job.

Nat

alphabits
Fri, Oct-12-01, 20:50
Thanks kindly Natrushka,

Just made reservations at the Chateau Laurier... :D
Any suggestions for dining in Ottawa? I'm going to try to stick to my diet as much as possible, but don't really know the area...

Any help would be appreciated :hyper: I'm getting really excited already!

Cheers,
Lisa

Natrushka
Fri, Oct-12-01, 21:10
Just made reservations at the Chateau Laurier... :D
Any suggestions for dining in Ottawa? I'm going to try to stick to my diet as much as possible, but don't really know the area...

Oh thats lovely. We have an annual Christmas Party in their Ballroom... it's so opulent you feel like you're touring a castle somewhere in europe. You'll have a wonderful time. And you're right next to the market, lots of fine dinning and some pretty intense shopping.

When are you going to be here?

N

alphabits
Fri, Oct-12-01, 21:43
I'm going for the first weekend in November. I went to a corporate meeting at Banff Springs a few years ago - another castle. :) I spent hours just touring the building.

Also going to see a hockey game and check out some of the jazz and blues around town.

I know I'm going to have to avoid the 'beaver-tails' at all costs. I went to winterlude last winter and must have eaten 18 that weekend. :yum: I'm thinking I'll need to avoid little Italy too - I hear the Italian food in Ottawa is fantastic! *and then she drooled*

What's your personal oppinion for things to do? I'm only going to be there fri. nite, sat all day, and leaving sun morning...

Cheers,
Lisa

Ruth
Fri, Oct-12-01, 22:11
I had planned a reward for 50 lbs lost (perfume, Initial by Boucheron $150 for 150 ml), but changed it to a 40 lb loss reward: 18K gold chain, 24". The chain is lovely and people notice the glitter from it all the time. More important, I enjoy wearing it and it is one of those wonderful non-essentials. I don't need it for a happy life, but it's sure nice to have. ;)

Clothes are essentials .... in some ways. I've bought a few new basic clothes 'cause I got tired of pants 2 sizes too big, but I'm trying to work my way into some old favourites I could never throw out. Fortunately my office is ok with casual wear so I don't need suits for the office.

Ruth

Ka3n
Fri, Oct-12-01, 22:32
I know I'm going to have to avoid the 'beaver-tails' at all costs.

Lisa,
What the heck are Beaver Tails? :daze: I hope that you have fun on your reward vacation. You deserve it! :thup: WTG

I just lost my first 10 pounds and rewarded myself with a new kitchen (food) scale. No more staring at the little plastic pointer thingy and wondering if it's bent or something. The new one is digital and automatically subtracts the weight of the plate. I love it! :D

alphabits
Fri, Oct-12-01, 22:46
Originally posted by Ka3n

Lisa,
What the heck are Beaver Tails? :daze: I hope that you have fun on your reward vacation. You deserve it! :thup: WTG

I just lost my first 10 pounds and rewarded myself with a new kitchen (food) scale. No more staring at the little plastic pointer thingy and wondering if it's bent or something. The new one is digital and automatically subtracts the weight of the plate. I love it! :D

Beaver Tails are these awesome little deep fried pastries covered in lemon and brown sugar (or other things). They look like a beaver tail in shape. They are what some might call a Canadian delecacy... :D This link is not to tempt, but to explain:
http://www.beavertailsinc.com/product.html

I'm sure they have been the reason for many a trip to Ottawa. But no more! I will prevail!!! I will not succumb to the temptation! :nono:

That scale thing sounds like it will be great! I think that rewards that contribute to the greater good are perfect. Congrats on your first 10 pounds!!

Cheers,
Lisa

Ka3n
Fri, Oct-12-01, 22:58
OMIGOSH! :devil: Are those beaver tails tasty looking or what? I'll send you an angel to help you say No! :angel: :D

Of course I was imagining REAL ones :eek: lol

Congrats on your first 10 pounds!!

Thanks Lisa!
Have fun :wave:

alphabits
Fri, Oct-12-01, 23:15
Thanks for the angel... I'll need it. ;)

I think that some of the most fun and rewarding stuff is planning for it. I love looking forward to what I'm going to do - often it is better than the actual reward. I have to say that I do this cheezy thing that seems to be helping me stay on track... every night I go to bed thinking about all the clothes I'm going to be able to fit into - I plan my style - haircolor, outfits, shoes, etc. And then I imagine myself wearing those clothes to places that I think might be cool. I know I'm just a cheeseball... but it works, and it's fun! It's like I'm my very own "anti-barbie". :D

Cheers,
Lisa

Natrushka
Sat, Oct-13-01, 13:43
Also going to see a hockey game and check out some of the jazz and blues around town.

I know I'm going to have to avoid the 'beaver-tails' at all costs. I went to winterlude last winter and must have eaten 18 that weekend. :yum: I'm thinking I'll need to avoid little Italy too - I hear the Italian food in Ottawa is fantastic! *and then she drooled*

What's your personal oppinion for things to do? I'm only going to be there fri. nite, sat all day, and leaving sun morning...

Believe it or not I've been here for 14 years and I've never had a beavertail. I used to maintain that there were 3 things I'd never do, eat a beavertail, own a Mac computer, or watch Titanic (I heard the ship sank). :)

If you want blues/jazz you should check out the Rainbow in the market. It is outstanding.

A tour of the parliament buildings would be interesting, but with the recent crack downs in security I'm not sure if tours are still going ahead. I would def take a look at the Musé de civilisation across the river in Hull, it is quite the site. And i think there's an exhibit of some note going on at the Natural Museum (Right behind the chateau laurier)

I'm sure you'll have a great time. It's too bad they'll have drained the canal by then, its much prettier when you cant see the bottom.

Nat

alphabits
Sat, Oct-13-01, 14:07
Originally posted by Natrushka

Believe it or not I've been here for 14 years and I've never had a beavertail. I used to maintain that there were 3 things I'd never do, eat a beavertail, own a Mac computer, or watch Titanic (I heard the ship sank). :)

Nat

Hmmmm.... sounds like we have little in common:

Favorite sugary treat: beavertails
How many Mac's I own: 2 - and I'm a college teacher - course: Mac basics...
How many times I've seen Titanic: about 8 million - I managed a Roger's Video when it came out - but I do hate it, so I guess that's something.
:D

Anyway, I do thank you so much for your suggestions. I intend to see as much as I can in such a short time - I have more to reward myself for it seems - weighed in this morning and am now down 25 pounds!! :hyper:

Cheers,
Lisa

Karen
Sat, Oct-13-01, 15:53
Believe it or not I've been here for 14 years and I've never had a beavertail. I used to maintain that there were 3 things I'd never do, eat a beavertail, own a Mac computer, or watch Titanic (I heard the ship sank).

Things in common?

I've never had a beaver tail either, but only because I've never been close to them. Even when I lived in Ottawa.

A supplier gave me the Titanic video and I gave it away for I too vowed to never watch it. I've never seen an episode of Survivor, Friends or Ally MacBeal (sp?).

I have no opinion on Macs.

Nat, don't forget to add low-carb bars to that list of "nevers". LOL!

Karen

Elihnig
Sat, Oct-13-01, 16:30
IMHO You should see Titanic at least once. Everyone knows that the ship sinks, but there is much more to it than that. If you're a romantic at heart, you can really get into the "love story" aspect. If you're into action movies and special effects there's plenty to make them happy. As a music teacher I really got into some of the music scenes, the Irish music, the insights into the string quartet, not to mention the scene that gets me every time for a good cry, where you hear Nearer My God To Thee in the background while the camera shows normal people in various routines in their last night, last minutes, some of them. There is humor, there is humanity, there are things to think about afterwards, like when disaster brings out the best in people, what bravery really is, and how to live our lives to the fullest. Maybe I'm going on a bit, but what is life if you don't try things?! The movie contains aesthetic values, intrinsic to daily life. What is life if you never feel things deeply? If you can't put yourself in someone else's shoes? Oh, all right, I've gone off the deep end. Disregard my ravings... *blush*

Elihnig

bluugirl
Sat, Oct-13-01, 16:41
Originally posted by lisaf
I was just reading the "how often do you cheat" thread and got to wondering how other people reward themselves

i would love to "upgrade" my wardrobe..lol. Get one of those sexy tight black dresses that everyone seemed to flaunt at college/high school parties.(but not till i reach 140 if i ever do..lol)

Natrushka
Sat, Oct-13-01, 16:51
LMAO I knew that Titanic remark would open a can o worms... I just cant do it Elihnig.... Celine Dion scares me (sorry fellow Canadians) ... and Decaprio scares me even more (if that is possible)

Thx Karen, I must add the Atkins Bar to the list ;)

Nat

Tikerberi
Sat, Oct-13-01, 17:58
Once I'm able to lose about 20 lbs., I plan on getting another tattoo (I have an armband and several other small ones), this time one that will cover the same area as my bra does...and will turn some heads at the nudist gatherings I go to!

After another 10 lbs., I'd like to get a tatoto that covers what a bikini would......

My goal is to eventually walk on a regular beach, and no one will notice that I'm not dressed at all....!!

alphabits
Sat, Oct-13-01, 18:18
Originally posted by Tikerberi
After another 10 lbs., I'd like to get a tatoto that covers what a bikini would......

My goal is to eventually walk on a regular beach, and no one will notice that I'm not dressed at all....!!

That's awesome!! You've got way more guts than me! I won't even be seen in public at this point in shorts, let alone at a nudist gathering! Well done you!:thup: Another tattoo would be a great way to celebrate reaching your goal weight. I'd like to get one one day myself - once all the skin and muscles have found their proper place, that is. :)

Cheers,
Lisa

numberonewendy
Sat, Oct-13-01, 18:38

Wow, what a goal...you go girl.... :daze: