PDA

View Full Version : Supplements

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kmac11968
Thu, Feb-03-05, 05:59
Just curious to see what everyone takes for supplements and if they notice any difference?

Kristen

lilli
Thu, Feb-03-05, 13:53
I believe the supplements help, but part of it might be psychosomatic for me. I take:
-multi vitamin (my favorite is a whole food type)
-green tea
-EFA (fish capsules and spoonfuls of bottled)- i really think this makes a difference in weight loss.
-calcium- there have been studies showing this to be a weightloss aid.
-vitamin c & b vitamin powdered water additive- i love this stuff. Great after a long night.

When I stop taking them I notice differences in my skin. It is definitely less vibrant and more sallow, and sometimes breaks out (which is very rare for me.) The skin IS the largets organ in the body, and is very telling of overall health. As far as I can tell, the vitamins help.

littlejohn
Thu, Feb-03-05, 15:44
I started out doing Atkins. Then after about 3 weeks decided to add a second leg to the program and started walking. Then about 2 weeks later decided to add the 3rd leg of a multivitamin. Then added EFA. Very soon after that I noticed that my skin was not so dry. Then noticed that my skin in general was much better - healthy. I became a believer in supplements and began to study them and modify as I saw a need. I am still learning and am not completely satisfied with what I am taking now.

Current supplements
Mega multi - very broad and loaded in B,C,E vitamins
CoQ10
Vitamin C
Chromium
Gingko Biloba - my latest addition - I really think it has helped with my memory
Folic Acid
Fish Oil
EFA
Glucosamin/Condroitin

May need more Magnesium, Vitamin E, Selenium, Taurine (currently evaluating)

Iluv2cook
Wed, Feb-09-05, 01:06
This started getting real expensive so I just stick to Schwarzbein's recommendations:

multi vit/mineral
oil(my preference is for EPO and Flax bcs fishoil 'repeats' on me, yuck)
extra: B,C,E
chromium

and calcium/magnesium & D pre-bedtime.

That's it.

luxie
Tue, Feb-22-05, 14:27
I find my biggest problem thus far on atkins has been lack of potassium. I run 4-5 times a week and find if I am not taking enough pot., a vicious leg cramp will wake me up in the morning (or in the middle of the night).

I take:

One multi w/green tea extract
calcium/magnesium 200mg
potassium

I usually vary the amount of potassium; 100mg usually works fine but sometimes I need 200-250mg.

Actually, now that it's come up... does anyone know how much cal/mag is required to make sure you absorb potassium?

TVMichelle
Tue, Feb-22-05, 14:32
I take

Pycnogenol
Grape Seed Extract (because I don't drink and I want to get the health benefits of resveratrol)
Glucosamine/Chondroitin (2x a day)
Fish Oil (1000 mg, 3x a day)
Folic Acid
Co-Q-10
Vitamin E
Selenium
Lecithin
Multi withOUT iron
Ester-C (1000 mg, 3x a day)

I also take a liquid decaf green tea extract (30 drops in 32 oz. of water) - equivalent of 15 cups of green tea. It's delicious!

I was taking OoO, but it had absolutely no impact on my weight loss, so I discontinued it.

Michelle