PDA

View Full Version : cholesterol ski rocketted!!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

askeens
Wed, Oct-10-01, 06:00
I just got my cholesterol checked and it is 235- from 170 a 2 months ago... this has totally freaked me out.. So I have taken a break from the Atkins diet....for now.. I am still watching the carbs when I eat a Protein or Starch meal but I am now including fresh fruit( natural sugar).. So far on 2 weeks I have not gained any weight. I am following the UNDEIT. Has anyone heard of this???

Natrushka
Wed, Oct-10-01, 06:19
Askeens I've moved your post to the "Cholesterol/ heart disease" section of the "General Health" issues of the forum. While I am not well versed in this matter I do remember reading in PP that cholesterol can go up at first when starting a LC plan, it usually takes about 3 months for things to return to regular. Is 235 really that high? Just curious, we use different measurements in Canada. Also, remember that high cholesterol in itself (i.e., not accompanied by other symptoms of heart disease) is not necessarily something to worry about. There are a few threads on this board discussing this. Here is one of particular interest.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16833

Nat

pegm
Wed, Oct-10-01, 06:21
No, I have never heard of the UNDIET, what is it like?

Atriana
Thu, Oct-11-01, 12:28
Did you have the total cholesterol test done ( HDL, LDL, triglycerides?) I think it was in PP that they talk about how total cholesterol might go up some in the beginning, but that the triglycerides (a major player in heart disease) would drop dramatically. Supposedly, the total cholesterol number by itself is pretty meaningless - it is the HDL/LDL and the HDL/triglyceride ratios that are most important. I am going for my cholesterol tests again on Saturday. I had it taken just before I started eating low carb, this one will be at 8 weeks into the plan. I sure hope the ratios show some improvement.