PDA

View Full Version : Cauliflower Bisque

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

BettyR
Sat, Jan-29-05, 11:04
This is another one of LindaSue's recipes.
http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/cauliflower_bisque.html

I made this for supper last night and it was absolute heaven. I used the leeks instead of onions and I don't have a stick blender so I put mine through the regular blender in two batches. I didn't have any homemade chicken broth so I used canned, it was really good.

I was not fond of the added parsley at the end. I think that next time I'll cook my parsley in with the leeks and celery. I ended up straining the parsley out of the soup.

CAULIFLOWER BISQUE

1 small cauliflower, cut into small chunks, about 20 ounces after trimming
1 small onion, diced or leeks, chopped, 2 1/2 ounces
2 tablespoons celery, finely chopped
2 tablespoons butter
3 cups chicken broth (homemade recommended)
1/2 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped (dried not recommended)

In a 3-quart saucepan, sauté onion or leek and celery in the butter until tender. Add chopped cauliflower, a bit of salt and pepper and broth; bring to boil. Turn down heat to low; cover and simmer until cauliflower is very tender, about 20-25 minutes. Use a stick blender to puree the soup until completely smooth and thick. Add cream; mix well. Add salt and pepper, if needed. Stir in the parsley and serve.

Makes about 6 cups soup, or 6 big servings
Can be frozen

Per Serving: 150 Calories; 12g Fat; 5g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

This reminded me of the Leek and Potato Soup that I'd eaten several times while in England and is one of my favorite soups. You could also add some canned clams with the juice and crumbled bacon and have clam chowder.

Kristine
Sun, Jan-30-05, 10:26
I make a variation on this and it's outstanding. :thup: My SO asked me, "is this potato soup?" I'm hooked on using cauliflower as a soup thickener. It's a nice way to use up the ugly cores.

You can use this as a 'base' for 'cream of anything' soup: broccoli, celery, etc.

willbthin
Fri, Feb-25-05, 18:47
oh man, i love soup and i am not a cook but i am willing to learn, it sounds soooooo delicous. thanks to all who give these recipes, i believe the soups will help me really stay on track. as i am not a big fan of meat. although i am not a full vegetarian, i just dont like to eat that many meats and not so often.

GinaLeanne
Fri, Feb-25-05, 18:57
This is another one of LindaSue's recipes.
http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/cauliflower_bisque.html

I made this for supper last night and it was absolute heaven. I used the leeks instead of onions and I don't have a stick blender so I put mine through the regular blender in two batches. I didn't have any homemade chicken broth so I used canned, it was really good.

I was not fond of the added parsley at the end. I think that next time I'll cook my parsley in with the leeks and celery. I ended up straining the parsley out of the soup.

CAULIFLOWER BISQUE

1 small cauliflower, cut into small chunks, about 20 ounces after trimming
1 small onion, diced or leeks, chopped, 2 1/2 ounces
2 tablespoons celery, finely chopped
2 tablespoons butter
3 cups chicken broth (homemade recommended)
1/2 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped (dried not recommended)

In a 3-quart saucepan, sauté onion or leek and celery in the butter until tender. Add chopped cauliflower, a bit of salt and pepper and broth; bring to boil. Turn down heat to low; cover and simmer until cauliflower is very tender, about 20-25 minutes. Use a stick blender to puree the soup until completely smooth and thick. Add cream; mix well. Add salt and pepper, if needed. Stir in the parsley and serve.

Makes about 6 cups soup, or 6 big servings
Can be frozen

Per Serving: 150 Calories; 12g Fat; 5g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

This reminded me of the Leek and Potato Soup that I'd eaten several times while in England and is one of my favorite soups. You could also add some canned clams with the juice and crumbled bacon and have clam chowder.
Sounds good thankyou...........I luv this site!!!!!!!!!!! thx, Gina :wave:

TwoFat
Fri, Feb-25-05, 19:13
I use to hate CAULIFLOWER a few years back.... but since I have been low carbing I use cauliflower in soooo many different ways, has really been fun!