PDA

View Full Version : fell off the wagon...How do I get back on

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

rotorres1
Sun, Jan-23-05, 20:27
I religiously did atkins before I got pregnant for about a year. I never cheated and lost almost 70 pounds. The doctors said I could do maintinance during pregnancy. The problem is maintinance is SOOO HARD!! It is so much easier not to be able to have any carb options than to have some of them. Anyway, to make a long story long...I've totally fallen off the wagon and in only 16 weeks, I've gained 20 pounds. How do I get back on? I feel so guilty but I do enjoy all of this good stuff that I didn't have for so long. Has this happened to anyone else? What do I do and how do I start? I still have 24 weeks of pregnancy and I don't want to gain a zillion pounds! Please help me.
Guilty Mamma

dane
Mon, Jan-24-05, 05:24
Hi there,

Just saw this thread...........I also low carbed prior to pregnancy, but then, due to morning sickness and then feeling sorry for myself, I swung the other way and had a carb-fest. I gained quite a bit of weight, but I did retain my sanity, ;)

Just do what you need to, and don't feel guilt. I did try to not overdo sugar, stayed away from soda completely, but did give in to occasional chocolate. Try to start your day with an egg breakfast, no to limited carbs (if you can). At least this may help curb the cravings later on in the day.

The trickiest time, though, was the last 2 months.....your baby is growing rapidly then, and too much sugar ie carbs can help produce a biiiiig baby. So I did try VERY hard to eat less flour/sugar, and more protein. Still ended up with an 8lber, but better than the last one....9lb 14oz.

Most important thing......we're both healthy, had a great first few months, and now at 6 months, I am losing the extra. Good luck to you!

C-u-lean
Wed, Jan-26-05, 03:50
I am in the same boat as you. I don't even want to say how much I have gained, it is pathetic. I am ready now to go back. I just don't know how easy it will be after being off. Good news is I have had limited sugar intake, just don't care for it after low carbing so long. I am going to my Dr. tomorrow and going to ask how they feel about it.

82sara82
Fri, Jan-28-05, 19:19
I just wanna give a warning. I drank a lot of red raspberry tea while pregnant, three cups a day with 3 tsp. sugar during the last trimester produced a 9lb 15oz baby.

Donna I.
Tue, Feb-01-05, 12:41
I was planning on sticking to a maintenance level of carbs, but 2 weeks ago the morning (noon & night) sickness hit and now I am eating anything that appeals to me. So now my diet is about 90% carbs and I feel like crap! But I feel miserable, so I eat to make myself feel better... and then I have a sugar crash. Its a viscious circle. I know I need to get back on plan, I am at only 7 weeks now and have gained 10 lbs this month. I am giving myself a reasonable goal - only gain 22 more lbs, but at the rate I'm going, I just don't know. The weight is bothering me more this time than any other time (this is baby #5), because I managed to lose 70lbs after the last one and I don't want to end up right where I was before. But breaking that circle is like taking heroin away from an addict!