PDA

View Full Version : Idaho potato industry hoping for death of low-carb diets

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

pro-potato
Thu, Jan-20-05, 17:53
Hi
Regarding the potato industry, it isn't as simple as people wanting Americans to get fat and die just to support their industry.
I am a low carber myself who lives in potato country and potatoes have gotten bad press at times from uneducated journalists.
What most farmers I know want is for people to be aware of some nutrition facts so they can make an educated choice whether or not to eat a potato.
A 5.3 oz potato (pretty good size) has 100 calories, 720 mg of Potassium (that is almost twice as much Potassium as a banana), zero fat, zero cholesterol, 3 grams fiber and 4 grams protein, plus 45% RDA Vitamin C, and lots of other vitamins and minerals that your body needs, including Calcium, Thiamin, Niacin, Folate, Zinc, Copper, Iron, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Phosphorous and Magnesium. Did you see the zero fat?
I think some of the people who cut potatoes completely out of their diet were either thinking of french fries cooked in fat, or they didn't read past the first part of the diet plan.
Even Atkin's enthusiasts that read past the first part of the book know that it is important to choose wisely regarding the carbs they add to their diet after the first two weeks.
I, too, think we should look at using potatoes for a renewable fuel source--that is just plain smart.
In answer to the pesticide residue in the skins, it is also smart to always wash your potatoes under cool running water, scrubbing with a natural bristle brush.
The USDA has very stringent regulations in place regarding the different products that farmers can use on any crop.

pro-potato
Thu, Jan-20-05, 17:55
Potatoe farmers are at the bottom of the potatoe industry, aren't they? It could take some time to start farming other vegetables, and may be potatoe is the most suitable for the local climate?
These are some realistic comments.

Wyvrn
Thu, Jan-20-05, 18:26
Did you see the zero fat?

Yeah, I sure did. Like many other low carbers, I'm trying to maintain my fat intake at 70% or higher, so zero fat/cholesterol in a caloric food item is undesireable, to say the least.

Wyv

Lisa N
Thu, Jan-20-05, 18:55
A 5.3 oz potato (pretty good size) has 100 calories, 720 mg of Potassium (that is almost twice as much Potassium as a banana), zero fat, zero cholesterol, 3 grams fiber and 4 grams protein, plus 45% RDA Vitamin C, and lots of other vitamins and minerals that your body needs, including Calcium, Thiamin, Niacin, Folate, Zinc, Copper, Iron, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Phosphorous and Magnesium. Did you see the zero fat?

Pro-potato, I'm not sure where you got your nutritional data, but according to Fitday, here are the stats that they give for a 5.3 oz. baked potato (skin eaten, no fat added in cooking)

Calories: 132.09
Fat: 0.121 grams
Sodium: 288.71 mg.
Potassium: 506.59 mg.
Total carb: 30.57 grams
Fiber: 2.91 grams
Protein: 2.79 grams
Vitamin A: 0%
Vitamin C: 26%
Calcium: 1%
Iron: 9%
Vitamin D: 0%
Vitamin E: 0%
Thiamin: 6%
Riboflavin: 2%
Niacin: 10%
Folate: 3%
Vitamin B-6: 21%
Vitamin B-12: 0%
Phosphorus: 7%
Magnesium: 8%
Zinc: 3%
Copper: 18%

Want Potassium? Try 2 cups of fresh Spinach (1668.9 mg) or 1/2 an Avocado (548.41 mg.) or 1 cup of cooked broccoli (452.81 mg.).

Even Atkin's enthusiasts that read past the first part of the book know that it is important to choose wisely regarding the carbs they add to their diet after the first two weeks.

Yes, and since on the Atkins plan carbs are added back in 5 gram increments, that 30 grams of carb from the baked potato probably wouldn't work in for most until pre-maintainence or maintainence and then only occasionally because of their glycemic index and glycemic load. Also, since maintainence for most is in the range of 45-90 grams of carb per day, that's anywhere from more than half of the daily carb limit to about 1/3; a lot of carbs to using up at one time when they could get a lot more nutritional bang for their carb buck by choosing other fruits/vegetables instead making them not such a wise choice for low carbers most of the time. :idea:

I, too, think we should look at using potatoes for a renewable fuel source--that is just plain smart.

Excellent idea! But personally, I don't think they're a great choice for a human fuel source on anything but an occasional basis unless that particular human is very active. ;)

Kagior
Thu, Jan-20-05, 23:50
I am hoping that when I am on maintenance I will be able to have potatoes once in a while. Personally, my favorite thing about potatoes is the skins! If you scrape out most of the white gunk, it dramatically lowers the carb count. Bake in the oven with cheese and bacon bits, dip in sour cream...mmmmmmaintenance. Gotta love Atkins!

Dodger
Fri, Jan-21-05, 09:56
I am hoping that when I am on maintenance I will be able to have potatoes once in a while. Personally, my favorite thing about potatoes is the skins! If you scrape out most of the white gunk, it dramatically lowers the carb count. Bake in the oven with cheese and bacon bits, dip in sour cream...mmmmmmaintenance. Gotta love Atkins!
I believe that you can have potato skins on OWL. I know I fixed them and they didn't cause me any problems like high carb foods do.

pro-potato
Fri, Jan-21-05, 13:11
I got my stats from the Idaho Potato Commission which I think is quite reliable. I know there are different facts out there.
I agree that a potato woudn't be good to have often, just sometimes, but when you do, it isn't empty calories or carbs.
I think that making ethanol or some similar fuel is probably the best use for most potatos.
The skin recipe above sounds like a good idea!

Quinadal
Fri, Jan-21-05, 13:17
I agree that a potato woudn't be good to have often, just sometimes, but when you do, it isn't empty calories or carbs.
But they ARE empty calories. And will raise your blood sugar faster than pure sugar! At least fries have fat to make them slightly healthier...

potatofree
Fri, Jan-21-05, 13:28
How on earth would the fat in fries make them HEALTHIER? Giving simple carbs (stripped of the skin, the only marginally good part) a bath in transfats....

Quinadal
Fri, Jan-21-05, 13:33
How on earth would the fat in fries make them HEALTHIER? Giving simple carbs (stripped of the skin, the only marginally good part) a bath in transfats....
Well,I don't eat fries anymore because ALL potatoes are unhealthy empty calories, but when I did, I used make my own. So they weren't fried in crap oil, like McDonalds....So, they are healthier than a plain, fat free potato.

potatofree
Fri, Jan-21-05, 13:41
That really doesn't explain how it makes them healthier. High fat/high carb just isn't a good combination. Maybe the fat might slightly lower the GI, but it wouldn't affect the glycemic load.

By that logic, a krispy kreme is a better choice than a slice of bread even though it's 10x the calories and a loaded weapon of carbs and empty calories...

Quinadal
Fri, Jan-21-05, 13:43
That really doesn't explain how it makes them healthier. High fat/high carb just isn't a good combination. Maybe the fat might slightly lower the GI, but it wouldn't affect the glycemic load.

By that logic, a krispy kreme is a better choice than a slice of bread even though it's 10x the calories and a loaded weapon of carbs and empty calories...
Oh, I didn't say they were HEALTHY just that they were HEALTHIER than a plain baked potato.

potatofree
Fri, Jan-21-05, 13:48
But you never said HOW it makes them healthier. I'm not trying to be a pain, I just don't understand. :)

Quinadal
Fri, Jan-21-05, 13:52
But you never said HOW it makes them healthier. I'm not trying to be a pain, I just don't understand. :)You aren't a pain..I just woke up and my brain is still asleep! :lol:
I meant it makes them slightly healthier because at least the fat slows down the absorbtion of the carbs and reduces the sugar spike

uggamugga4
Fri, Jan-21-05, 13:54
Hey!! Lol I'm an Idaho girl! hahaha I live in Idaho! lol, I'll tell ya, there's more growin here than potato's. Isn't it ironic, that I live in Idaho, and I do lowcarb?

Quinadal
Fri, Jan-21-05, 13:55
Hey!! Lol I'm an Idaho girl! hahaha I live in Idaho! lol, I'll tell ya, there's more growin here than potato's. Isn't it ironic, that I live in Idaho, and I do lowcarb?
And they haven't lynched you yet?? Isn't it a law there that you have to eat potatoes?? :p

dina1957
Fri, Jan-21-05, 14:05
Well,I don't eat fries anymore because ALL potatoes are unhealthy empty calories, but when I did, I used make my own. So they weren't fried in crap oil, like McDonalds....So, they are healthier than a plain, fat free potato.POtatoes fried in any oil is much worse than boiled or baked due to high amount of Acrylamide, ~ 10 times more than in boiled or baked potatoe.
http://www.cspinet.org/new/200206251.html

As for potatoes being empthy calories, not so true, the only empty calories food is sugary drinks, soft drinks, and processed sugar and sweets.

A young red potatoe does not have as much sugar as Russet bake potatoe, and sweet potatoes and yams are loaded with VitA, C, and other vitamins and minerals according to Fitday:

Sweet Potatoes:
Amount Per 1 cup, diced Calories 146.57
Calories from Fat 3.77 % Daily Value * Total Fat 0.419g 1% Saturated Fat 0.0893g 0% Polyunsaturated Fat 0.184g Monounsaturated Fat 0.0154g Cholesterol 0mg 0% Sodium 176.5mg 7% Potassium 256.88mg 7% Total Carbohydrate 33.89g 11% Dietary Fiber 2.51g 10% Protein 2.3g 5% Alcohol 0g Vitamin A476 % Vitamin C40 %Calcium3 % Iron4 %Vitamin D0 % Vitamin E1 %Thiamin4 % Riboflavin10 %Niacin4 % Folate4 %Vitamin B-617 % Vitamin B-120 %Phosphorus4 % Magnesium3 %Zinc3 % Copper11 %

What about lard, 1 tbs has as much calories as small potatoe but no vitamins or minerals at all:
Nutrition Facts Amount Per 1 tablespoon Calories 115.46
Calories from Fat 115.2 % Daily Value * Total Fat 12.8g 20% Saturated Fat 5.02g 25% Polyunsaturated Fat 1.43g Monounsaturated Fat 5.77g Cholesterol 12.16mg 4% Sodium 0.00128mg 0% Potassium 0.00256mg 0% Total Carbohydrate 0g 0% Dietary Fiber 0g 0% Protein 0g 0% Alcohol 0g Vitamin A0 % Vitamin C0 %Calcium0 % Iron0 %Vitamin D0 % Vitamin E0 %Thiamin0 % Riboflavin0 %Niacin0 % Folate0 %Vitamin B-60 % Vitamin B-120 %Phosphorus0 % Magnesium0 %Zinc0 % Copper0 %

A humble potatoe is not evil, it's what fast food industry made of it and some folks who load it with lots of butter, cream and bacon, and then complain. I monitor my Bgs on a regular basis, and eating small amount of red potato, yet better sweet potatoes and yums (depending on season) does not upset my BG at all. IMHO, potatoes are far better quick carb source that regular supermarket bread, even whole grain! You have to match your energy output!
For those who are physically active, potato (especially sweet) provide decent amount of quick energy and also vitamins, they are staple for bodybuilders, and they surely know a thing or two about nutrition.;)
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=64 They are also a staple for Okinawans (70% of total food intake) know for their health. Regular potatoe has it's own share of vitamins and minerals and also health benefits
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=48

JMHO
Dina
Dina

Quinadal
Fri, Jan-21-05, 14:10
A humble potatoe is not evil, it's what fast food industry made of it and some folks who load it with lots of butter, cream and bacon, and then complain.
You say that like the butter, sour cream and bacon are unhealthy. They are FAR healthier than the potato! No one will ever convince me that a potato is a healthy food. It's high starch junk.

uggamugga4
Fri, Jan-21-05, 14:27
How funny Law!!! You know what though, we have a ton of meat processing factories here too! Mmmmmm Low carb!!! Its funny, I live right around a ton of farm areas. I think I've seen 1 potato field. hahaha

dina1957
Fri, Jan-21-05, 14:39
You say that like the butter, sour cream and bacon are unhealthy. They are FAR healthier than the potato! No one will ever convince me that a potato is a healthy food. It's high starch junk.I did not say that buter, cream or even bacon are not healthy, they do have their share of vitamins. What I said that potatoes are not empthy calories, and not starch junk anyway. I've posted this information not to convince you, just to corrent your statement. As I already mentioned, the only high starch junk is regular supermarket bread, cookies and such, like processed noodles and white rice.

cammie137
Fri, Jan-21-05, 17:21
mmm... forbidden potato....

sorry, for some reason this discussion made me think of when Homer :doah: ate the forbidden donut. Maybe it was the krispy kreme reference...

I don't think someone chosing to have a potato every now and then is going to wind up losing their soul like the aforementioned cartoon character. If you don't want to eat potatoes, for whatever reason, that's fine too.

What works for one person may not work for another.

Quinadal
Fri, Jan-21-05, 17:36
I don't think someone chosing to have a potato every now and then is going to wind up losing their soul like the aforementioned cartoon character. If you don't want to eat potatoes, for whatever reason, that's fine too.
I agree, BUT the original post talked like potatoes were a wonder food that can be eaten freely on low carb. Personally, if I eat ANY potatoes, my sugar shoots up to near 200, stays there for a few hours and I feel like crap.

Wyvrn
Fri, Jan-21-05, 20:02
I did not say that buter, cream or even bacon are not healthy, they do have their share of vitamins.

Even without any vitamins, fats are not only healthy, they are essential. Fatty acids are building blocks of every tissue in the body, as well as hormones and other vital substances. Dietary fats are required for the absorption of other essential nutrients. And, of course, fats are the best dietary source of energy, since they don't raise blood sugar/insulin levels. Whereas the carbohydrates in potatoes and other starchy foods are good for only two things: to cause a spike in blood glucose, and to increase adipose tissue. Fortunately, there are many better sources of vitamins and minerals without the carbs.

Wyv

Lisa N
Fri, Jan-21-05, 21:10
Fortunately, there are many better sources of vitamins and minerals without the carbs.

Or at least for a lot fewer carbs and that's been my point all along. It's not that potatoes are evil incarnate or even that they're completely empty carbs (like sugar, for instance), it's just that for the amount of nutrition they contain, there are far better sources of the same vitamins and minerals for a lot less carbs. They're certainly not the nutritional powerhouses (comparatively) that they are being promoted to be.
Even Dr. Atkins did say that on maintainence, things like potatoes could be enjoyed occasionally, but he also cautioned that if they provoked a return of hunger and cravings to avoid them. :idea:
Me...I don't miss the old spuds one bit.

black57
Fri, Jan-21-05, 22:20
I don't scarf them down like I used to but you will never, ever hear me say anything bad about potatoes. :yum: They were my friends once. I just ate too many of them :tears: I am loking forward to those reduced carb potatoes due out any minute now. :agree:

Black57

dina1957
Fri, Jan-21-05, 22:36
Even without any vitamins, fats are not only healthy, they are essential. Essential are the only fatty acids that our body can't make on it's own, like Omega-3. But in this case you need to eat to eat fatty fish like salmon and tuna, flax seeds and oil, and walnuts. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=84
Saturated fat contains very little EFA, especially bacon. Butter has some Omega-3, but only if cows are fed grass only, same goes for beef. While fat helps us to absorb fat soluble vitamins, any fat will do for this matter, not only saturated. Yes, excessive carbs contribute to adipose tissues but so does the excessive dietary fat. BTW, protein does raise insulin.
JMO,
Dina

dina1957
Fri, Jan-21-05, 22:46
Personally, if I eat ANY potatoes, my sugar shoots up to near 200, stays there for a few hours and I feel like crap.Quinadal:
I've made an experiment tonight.I ate a dinner consisting of pan fried sole in butter/lemon/capper sauce, 1 small steamed sweet potatoe (1.5 cup), romain lettuce with oilve oil and sherry vinegar dressing, small espresso and 2 clementines for dessert. I've checked my BGs before dinner: 96 (after a day of a low carb food), and then 1 hour after - 128, and then after 2 hours - 86.
So, sweet potatoe actually gave me better 2 h pp. I know that if I'd eat just salad and fish, my 2 h pp would be in high 90s or low 100. Just another proove that we all are different.

Wyvrn
Sat, Jan-22-05, 14:44
Essential are the only fatty acids that our body can't make on it's own, like Omega-3. But in this case you need to eat to eat fatty fish like salmon and tuna, flax seeds and oil, and walnuts.
EFAs can indeed be converted to the saturated fats needed to build tissue. But why increase your exposure to toxic peroxidized lipids when you can minimize risk by consuming healthy, stable saturated and mono-saturated fats directly, and minimize the polyunsaturated EFAs to the very small amount they are actually needed for manufacture of prostaglandins and such?

Yes, excessive carbs contribute to adipose tissues but so does the excessive dietary fat.
But, like protein, dietary fat is far less likely than carbs to be "excessive", because it is used for other processes beside energy production. Yes, even the saturated FAs. They may not be "essential" but that doesn't mean they are useless. In fact, they spare other essential nutrients, including EFAs, because they don't need to be converted, and they are far safer because they are stable and don't oxidize in the body like n-3 and other PUFAs.

BTW, protein does raise insulin..
That's why Dr. Atkins recommended that people avoid excess protein, and increase the percentage of dietary fat to 70% or more.

Wyv

dina1957
Sat, Jan-22-05, 22:07
But why increase your exposure to toxic peroxidized lipids when you can minimize risk by consuming healthy, stable saturated and mono-saturated fats directly, and minimize the polyunsaturated EFAs to the very small amount they are actually needed for manufacture of prostaglandins and such?I'm not a fan of polyunsaturated oils but the major sources of Omega-3 is still flax oil, also fatty cold water fish, seafood, and walnuts. There is some EFA in Omega-3 enriched eggs (if the chickens are fed flax meal), you can also take it as a supplement. Unfortunately, monosaturated oils like Olive oil contain traces of Omega-3, and saturated contain none. Flax oil is still the richest source. If you are careful with flax oil, it won't oxidaze, just do not cook with it. You can check this link below for the Omega-3 sources:
http://www.healthyhearts.com/fishoilomega.htm
We need a very small amount of Omega-3, a couple of tbs of flax meal or 1 tbs of falx oil, or even eating fatty fish twice a week will do.As for saturated fat, I like it myself too.

LilaCotton
Mon, Jan-24-05, 00:19
I live in Idaho, too, where we grow the most absolutely awful disease-ridden potatoes in the world. Yuck! Red potatoes are good, Russets are just gross, and they're the 'famous' Idaho potato.

It's pathetic, isn't it? We have so much agriculture in this area yet potatoes are our trademark, and like I said, they're not even good potatoes.

Now that I'm past venting about our spuds (I always like to complain about that stuff), I will say this. Some people can handle more carbs than others. Not everyone is like me, who can eat half a potato and be sick from it for hours on end. My six-year-old can eat potatoes and all kinds of other foods I don't eat. My husband can eat a lot more carbs than I can and do just fine.

Everyone's mileage is different--contrary to what I thought a year ago, there is no set way of eating that will work for everyone.

One thing I wonder about the nutrient claims on potatoes, though, is that I was taught years and years ago that vitamin C is nullified in the cooking process. If that's the case then in order to get 'all that' vitamin C from a potato everyone had best be eating them raw. ;)

I'll get my potassium from meat, broccoli, spinach and celery thank you very much. (Oh yes, I did say meat! Almost every kind of meat has 100mg potassium per ounce, and some more.)

pro-potato
Mon, Jan-24-05, 17:41
I am sorry to hear that you think Idaho Russetts are so terrible.
I sympathize with you in that your husband can still feel good while eating different than you. That sure seems to be the way of the world.
All the veggies you mentioned are some of the best in my opinion too. No arguing over that!
I don't know about needing to eat the potatos raw to get the Vitamin C--does anyone out there know about that?

pro-potato
Mon, Jan-24-05, 17:47
I'm not a fan of polyunsaturated oils but the major sources of Omega-3 is still flax oil, also fatty cold water fish, seafood, and walnuts. There is some EFA in Omega-3 enriched eggs (if the chickens are fed flax meal), you can also take it as a supplement. Unfortunately, monosaturated oils like Olive oil contain traces of Omega-3, and saturated contain none. Flax oil is still the richest source. If you are careful with flax oil, it won't oxidaze, just do not cook with it. You can check this link below for the Omega-3 sources:
http://www.healthyhearts.com/fishoilomega.htm
We need a very small amount of Omega-3, a couple of tbs of flax meal or 1 tbs of falx oil, or even eating fatty fish twice a week will do.As for saturated fat, I like it myself too.
I just heard a Dr. speak about conservation for this century. He said that now scientists have developed a soy bean that has OMEGA-3.

Lisa N
Mon, Jan-24-05, 18:09
I don't know about needing to eat the potatos raw to get the Vitamin C--does anyone out there know about that?

Vitamin C is not stable in heat, so in boiling, frying or baking a lot of the Vitamin C in potatoes would be lost into the cooking water or destroyed by the heat of cooking.
BTW, strawberries have way more Vitamin C than even oranges and even Cabbage (uncooked, of course) is a good source; both are low carb. ;)

I just heard a Dr. speak about conservation for this century. He said that now scientists have developed a soy bean that has OMEGA-3.

The problem with soybeans is their phytoestrogens and goitrogenic properties as well as the fact that, unfermented, they are not terribly good for you in anything but small amounts.
http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/soy_studies.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/isoflavones.html

OTOH, feeding those high Omega-3 soybeans to cows might help increase the Omega-3 content of the meat and milk. Hmmm.... :idea:

twinmomma
Mon, Jan-24-05, 18:13
You know all I saw was Krispy Kreme doughnuts!!!! I am with Cammie. I got really side tracked by the doughnut

I personal don't miss potatoes. I do miss doughnuts though!!! :P

dina1957
Mon, Jan-24-05, 18:22
I just heard a Dr. speak about conservation for this century. He said that now scientists have developed a soy bean that has OMEGA-3.it's probably genetically modified soy:rolleyes: anyway, I'm not kin with soy. Enough scary information about it. On the other hand, fermented soy products like miso and tempeh are very beneficial. Just a pity that my favorite miso soup is loaded with sodium.

Dodger
Mon, Jan-24-05, 18:26
Vitamin C is not stable in heat, so in boiling, frying or baking a lot of the Vitamin C in potatoes would be lost into the cooking water or destroyed by the heat of cooking.
BTW, strawberries have way more Vitamin C than even oranges and even Cabbage (uncooked, of course) is a good source; both are low carb. ;)
I read in a book that the reason that the Vikings did not get scurvy on their long voyages, like the English did, was that they took sauerkraut as a food item in the boats. The kraut had vitamin C.

Lisa N
Mon, Jan-24-05, 18:30
I read in a book that the reason that the Vikings did not get scurvy on their long voyages, like the English did, was that they took sauerkraut as a food item in the boats. The kraut had vitamin C.

I doubt that I can find the link back, but I was reading recently where fermenting cabbage (as in home made saur kraut) actually increased the Vitamin C content. Mmmmmm....good home made sausage and saurkraut....now I have to make some of that for dinner this week! :yum:

Wyvrn
Mon, Jan-24-05, 18:48

Speaking of kraut, I tried the recipe in Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions cookbook. I used red cabbage ('cause it's pretty), and let it ferment a couple of days longer since we keep our house on the cool side. We had it for lunch today and ate it raw so all the good bacteria and enzymes wouldn't be destroyed, and wow, was it amazing. :yum: I've a good part of Teuton blood, and my SO is a Polak, so between the two of us we should be a good judge of saurkraut, and we agreed it was the best saurkraut we've ever had. It was still pretty crunchy and could have been a little more sour, but the depth of flavor was wonderful. I tried out the kimchi recipe from the same book, and it was excellent too.

Wyv

dina1957
Mon, Jan-24-05, 23:12
saurkraut is a staple in my house during winter time, I make it from regular cabbage, old fashion way, and it taste delicious. It could be made from red cabbage, but a bit different recipe, we call it armenian cabbage. Good saurkraut is also great with olive oil, just in place of a salad.:yum:

Quinadal
Tue, Jan-25-05, 08:31
Mmmmmm....good home made sausage and saurkraut....now I have to make some of that for dinner this week! :yum:
Ok, now you have me hungry...you got a recipe for those sausage? Or am I gonna have to stalk ya? :p

Lisa N
Tue, Jan-25-05, 15:57
Ok, now you have me hungry...you got a recipe for those sausage? Or am I gonna have to stalk ya? :p

No stalking necessary. :lol: I'm on a first name basis with my local butcher who makes the best homemade sausage I've ever had (family recipe). He was kind enough to let me see the ingredients in his spice mix when I first started low carbing (no sugar!), so I always get my sausage there even though it's a bit more per pound than the big chain stores. Quality is worth the extra $$.
One of these days, I'm going to dust off the sausage attachment for my Kitchen Aid and have a shot at making my own; maybe next time I'm snowed in for a day or two. ;)

Quinadal
Tue, Jan-25-05, 19:46
No stalking necessary. :lol: I'm on a first name basis with my local butcher who makes the best homemade sausage I've ever had (family recipe). He was kind enough to let me see the ingredients in his spice mix when I first started low carbing (no sugar!), so I always get my sausage there even though it's a bit more per pound than the big chain stores. Quality is worth the extra $$.
One of these days, I'm going to dust off the sausage attachment for my Kitchen Aid and have a shot at making my own; maybe next time I'm snowed in for a day or two. ;) :yum: You better mail me some! Or I'll mail you an envelop of powdered sugar! ;) :lol:

pro-potato
Wed, Jan-26-05, 09:22

I am wanting the red cabbage kraut recipe....

jedswife
Wed, Jan-26-05, 15:24
ooohhhhh! i miss those butter gold potatoes.

they taste like they were injected with butter but werent.

they are my downfall.

Miss Model
Sun, Jun-19-05, 20:45
haha, this is funny to me, because I live in Idaho. I also read somewhere that they're planning to engineer a "low-carb" potato. What?

Over40
Sun, Jun-19-05, 22:30
Hi
Regarding the potato industry, it isn't as simple as people wanting Americans to get fat and die just to support their industry.
I am a low carber myself who lives in potato country and potatoes have gotten bad press at times from uneducated journalists.
What most farmers I know want is for people to be aware of some nutrition facts so they can make an educated choice whether or not to eat a potato.
I think some of the people who cut potatoes completely out of their diet were either thinking of french fries cooked in fat, or they didn't read past the first part of the diet plan.
In answer to the pesticide residue in the skins, it is also smart to always wash your potatoes under cool running water, scrubbing with a natural bristle brush.
The USDA has very stringent regulations in place regarding the different products that farmers can use on any crop.

Hey Pro-Potato,

I agree with you. I think many people who have lost, or are trying to lose weight via the low carb route have been "Scared" into thinking that all carbohydrates are horrid. The "hardliners" should understand that there is a difference between a potato modestly dressed with a pat of butter, low fat sour cream, a small ladle full of chili, and a supersized box of fries, half a loaf of "balloon" bread, or a bag of Lay's Potato Chips.

I am a believer in induction, but I think as people lose their weight, and lean toward eating different foods as they approach their goal, a potato can be definitely part of a healthy diet. As well as watermelon, bananas, oranges, etc.

What caused me to gain weight 7-8 years ago wasn't potatoes, or fruit, it was 2- 64 oz. tankers of Coke everyday, Twinkies, Grandmas Cookies, Little Debbies, etc.

Jon

Over40
Sun, Jun-19-05, 22:37
But they ARE empty calories. And will raise your blood sugar faster than pure sugar! At least fries have fat to make them slightly healthier...

This may seem like a "bonus" but fries are loaded with trans-fats. Plus through studies performed during the sixties/seventies, it was found that sugar, eaten with fats was a real kicker for weight control since the sugar molecule would bond with the fat molecule and transport it to the cells more efficiently. I got this info from reading nutrition info from Linus Pauling. If I had a reference I would add it on.

As far as "empty calories", I do not believe that a food item that carries the nutritional value of a potato should be considered "empty calories". Ramen, soda, Ho-Ho's, etc. those are empty calories.

However, some people seem to not be able to eat potatoes due to their physiological reaction to them, insulin production, etc. So, stay away.

Jon

cygirl
Mon, Jun-20-05, 14:37
a believer in induction, but I think as people lose their weight, and lean toward eating different foods as they approach their goal, a potato can be definitely part of a healthy diet. As well as watermelon, bananas, oranges, etc.Jon

I totally agree with this.
It is also how much of these things we eat.I feel niothing wrong with 1 potatoe but i have watched people eat 8-10 potatoes in one sitting.....like anything else it must be in moderation.

Who can live without a baked pot with cheese,salsa and sourcream...its a meal and loaded with good stuff.I have this once in a while and it gives me nothing but energy.I would have this potatoe over fries anyday.

Get creative and scoop out the inside,mix it with
beans-
whipped broccoli-
collyflower-
onions
anything you can think of and its so good for you.! oh dont forget the cheese ontop :yum:

KryssiMc
Mon, Jun-20-05, 17:00
No thanks to all of these suggestions. I love being at this weight and not having spikes and crashes in my blood sugar. Faux-tatoes made with cauliflower beats the pants off of potatoes anyday. Make 'em mashed or baked with all full-fat toppings etc. Heavenly and within plan...not too shabby.