PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

wkirby
Thu, Jan-20-05, 13:38
Hey everyone,

I'll apologize in advance for how dry this is going to be, but i'm sure that most "introduction's" are - trust me, i'll be more lively in the future! :)

My name's Will and i'm a 21 year old Senior at the University of Georgia. I'm currently studying economics with plans to start Law School in the Fall. I am what I would consider quite healthy - around Christmas when I started low-carbing I weighed around 200 lbs, on a 5'11 athletic frame. Most of my life i've kept my weight well regulated, putting fat mostly only on my "belly" with just enough to keep the abs well hidden.

As most young males do, i've embarked on several attempts to get lean trying a host of exercise and diet plans all with some success, but ending with a couple of pints of Ben and Jerry's ice cream and me finding myself back at my pre-diet weight.

With my overall health excellent, body fat in acceptable range, I had become rather complacent with myself and saw no need to do anything other than maintain and just eat healthy foods and continue to put the time in the gym. This had become my status quo, but that all changed on Dec. 28th.

After severe abdominal pain, my father was admitted into the hospital where subsequent evaluation revealed that he had a tumor in his Colon. Considering I have yet to experience death or chronic illness in anyone truly close to me, this event brought my mortality and that of those who are close to me to the forefront. It made me realize that my previous status quo, while acceptable now, won't be at some point in the future.

I've now set my goals at actually getting that "six-pack" and truly studying the "in's and out's" of my body and the optimum way to make it the best it can be. After tremendous study, (what else is there to do while spening hours in a hospital waiting room?) I became a firm believer that low-carb (and Atkins/South Beach combo) was absolutely the best way to approach life when coupled with attention to good fat choices and exercise.

I'm a work in progress, i've already lost a tremendous amount of fat. In fact, it's made me realize that I had a whole lot more than I originally thought I did and I can't even begin to tell you how better I feel now that i've done it.

So, why am I here? Well to simply put it, I want more - I want to learn more, I want to be healthier - to sum it up, I want to help myself and others be more of who they really want to be - healthy!

Sorry for the rather verbose way of saying hello, but I guess that's the only way to get it done. I'll see you all on the boards!

Best wishes,
Will

Goat Lady
Thu, Jan-20-05, 13:52
Will~

What an amazing story....Thanks for sharing! Welcome to the boards. You will find LOADS of information, support, and pretty much whatever you want to talk about!

So sorry to hear about your dad...I hope everything is ok.

You are doing a great job at losing and I hope to see ya later on the boards!

Iowagirl
Thu, Jan-20-05, 14:41
Welcome, Will! Glad to have you with us.

wkirby
Thu, Jan-20-05, 18:51
Thanks so much! I can't wait to see you all in the forums!

Best wishes,
Will

amygray
Fri, Jan-21-05, 08:46
I must say, I'm impressed with the number of persons posting. I only started posting yesterday and am pleased that the support is here.

I am doing Atkins (not induction) between 20 and 30 carbs a day. I'd rather
lose slowly this time around, and feel more in control with my choices. I'm sticking to it. I'm going to Mexico in March and I'm determined to look acceptable in (dare I say it?) a swimsuit! AAAHHHHH! Fear strikes my heart whenever I think about it! (maybe the pool will be open after dark! lol)