PDA

View Full Version : Let me VENT! Hard day!!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

MamaPlucky
Sat, Oct-06-01, 17:05
OH PLEASE let me vent to yall!!! :mad:
I'm trying so hard to stay on track and we had to go to hubby's family reunion today. He told me that he talked to his cousin who said that they were going to cook out on the grill. So I'm thinking to myself, no big deal, hamburgers, hot dogs or chicken...I'll be fine.
So we are saying our hellos and they announce that it's time to eat. We go over to this 20 ft table and I look down it...there was EVIL food ALL over it! I about died. We start at the beginning...macaroni and cheese, beans, sausage rolls, spaghetti and meatballs, etc etc. Everything you could imagine (except anything I could eat) was on this table. Towards the end I find BBQ chicken that I had to take the skin off of and that was it. They had fried chicken too, but I'm not strong enough yet to take the crunch off, so I just avoided it. I leave the table with my plate (I put my daughter's food on my plate to avoid funny looks from everyone). Just as I turn around--the dessert table!!!
Needless to say I made it through all of that. I felt a little more weakness when someone set a TRAY FULL of cookies on the table that we were eating on. Just then I heard a women near me say "Yeah, something must be wrong with my scale because the other day I was 210 and now I'm 215." As soon as she said that it all came back to me--why I am doing this. :idea:
Well, thanks for letting me vent! I feel better and I'm home safe now :-) I just kept telling my husband, I can do anything now!! All he did was rub his belly and tell me how full he was :-) :roll:

Elihnig
Sat, Oct-06-01, 17:42
Awesome job passing over all that high carb junk! Did you manage to find enough protein to keep your hunger down? It's always motivational to hear someone confirm your choice of diet through their own words and actions that are contrary to our low carb way of life! May I have that same strength on Tuesday. I'm going to a conference and the lunch choices were speghetti and sandwich buffet. I chose sandwich, so hopefully I can get some meat and cheese and lettace and not be tempted by the bread, chips and cookies. I'll probably have to bring my own water, who knows what they'll offer to drink.

Congratulations, you've overcome temptation!

Elihnig

Ruth
Sat, Oct-06-01, 17:51
Good for you! You successfully resisted all the high carb temptations. It sounds like that overheard remark about the scale affirmed your LC choices. I'm glad you could stay focused on your LC WOL.

Moral of this story: eat before you go to a party/event or take your own food. No matter what you are told about the menu!

Recently I went to a wedding, meant to eat b4 but wasn't hungry so didn't bother. Much to my dismay, the only thing I could eat was raw veggies. It was a casual reception (sandwiches, raw veg, fruit, dessert) in the country so I couldn't easily get away to find some protein. Aarrgh, I knew better and won't make that mistake again.

I notice you've lost 7 lbs. That's excellent and I look forward to hearing of more successes. (And venting if need be, that's what we are here for)

Cheers, :wave:

Ruth

r.mines
Sat, Oct-06-01, 19:12
Yes, ABSOLUTELY congratulations of staying in control! NOT easy!

I agree with Ruth; next time, try to eat first! I'm going to a birthday brunch at my brother's tomorrow. There will be lots of carby food there. Though I expect I'll be able to have something (they should be used to the way I eat by now!), I'll still have a snack beforehand, just in case!

Rachel

MamaPlucky
Sat, Oct-06-01, 20:39
Thanks for the encouragment!!

I had thought about eating beforehand but hubby assured me that they were cooking on the grill...so naturally I figured that there would probably be something that I could eat! WRONG! UGHH!!! I wish I would have, then it would have been no big deal.

And Elihnig...I did NOT get enough to eat there! After looking at everything and sitting down with 1 piece of chicken, I did not even feel like going back. Hubby offered to go get me something else, but just being around everyone's food was getting disgusting to me! Which I guess was good at the time!

Anyway, thanks for the comments, it sure made me feel better! And to top it off, I'm in ketosis again! YIPPEE!! That makes it all worth it! :daizy:

numberonewendy
Sat, Oct-06-01, 20:46
Wow....let me vent she asks....Heck girl, you did good.....real good!

:clap:

JeanetteJ
Sat, Oct-06-01, 20:59
WOW, MamaPlucky!! I am SO impressed. Amazing. You should feel very proud of yourself!! Keep it up! Oh, the sweet success! The timing was absolutely perfect for that 5lb gain comment.
Jeanette

Natrushka
Sun, Oct-07-01, 06:50
WTG mama, I know just what it's like, last night Thanksgiving dinner was carb loaded. All I had for the main course was turkey, turkey and more turkey, wholy cow was I tired later on... all that tryptophane!

BTW, eating the skin on the chicken is ok; in fact it's suggested. Full of those good EFA's.... so next time, load up!

Nat

Muse
Sun, Oct-07-01, 07:28
I am soooo impressed with you Mamma-gal, you showed so much strength. :roll:

For me what would be hard would be the attention we get when we avoid foods the "world" finds healthy...as well the feeling of perhaps insulting the hosts. It's very attention getting to eat the way we do, and I don't know about others, but at this point...for me, the less attention the better! Talk to me when I've lost more, but for now allow me to meld into the woodwork when it comes to my food.

Now you've got me thinking about Thanksgiving dinner today, Nat...I know I'll be eating turkey turkey and uh more turkey. Hoping the veggies won't be covered in anything bad...I know gravy is out, bread...mashed potatoes...hmmmmm....I think I'll make myself dinner before I go...LOL. Hey what's tryptophane?

Lara
Sun, Oct-07-01, 07:36
You are an inspiration to all of us, especially those who may have to encounter stuffing and pumpkin pie this weekend. You did famously. Great work and something for all of us to keep in our minds as all the holiday food comes around.

Cheers,
Lara

JeanetteJ
Sun, Oct-07-01, 08:02
"I don't know about others, but at this point...for me, the less attention the better! "

Muse,
I'm with you on that one!!! When I'm closer to goal, I'll probably want to talk about my success, but for now, I'm too trying to avoid situations where I'd have to eat radically different from everyone around me.

About thanksiving. I don't think a little gravy on the turkey will hurt. I put it on my chicken sometimes, and the kind I have is only 5 carbs for 1/4 cup. No potatoes, of course (YUM!) but it's not to hard for me to avoid, since I'm severly allergic to them (boohoo).

Jeanette

Natrushka
Sun, Oct-07-01, 08:53
Originally posted by Muse
Hey what's tryptophane?

Ever walk away from a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner and feel really sleepy? Most people think its their imaginations, or from eating such a large meal (face it we tend to overeat during the holidays ;)) Well, it's actually tryptophane.

Tryptophane is an amino acid and it is the precursor to serotonin, serotonin makes you happy; and sleepy; we LCers used to get serotonin in mass quantities when eating high carb foods. It occurs naturally in things like turkey breast and warm milk (remember the glass of warm milk before bed?) and pumpkin seeds (or so I just discovered!)

Nat

MamaPlucky
Sun, Oct-07-01, 08:59
I know what you guys mean about Thanksgiving! I'm already wondering about that too!!

I had a great distraction technique with me yesterday--my 16 month old daughter! There wasn't any place to put her to eat so I held her in my lap and we shared a plate. Everyone else was too busy stuffing their faces to notice I wasn't eating much. It might be harder to pull that one off on Thanksgiving though! But that's another 1 1/2 months away...hopefully I'll be so gung-ho about the weight that I've lost, I will be proud to tell them how I'm eating!!!

Hopefully we will all find the motivation between now and then!! :daze: