PDA

View Full Version : post suggestions and feature requests here

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Pages : [1] 2

tamarian
Fri, Jan-14-05, 12:58
This thread can be used to suggest any new features and enhancements to the current version of the tool.

Please explain in detail what the feature or enhancement does.

For example: "It would be nice to have our oun custom meal names, instead of the current meal names available. Users may choose to use the default meal names, or may enter their own names for each meal. So instead of "Snack 1", the user can replace it with "Meal 1" or "Meal 9am" etc.

Wa'il

tamarian
Fri, Jan-14-05, 19:40
These are the most frequent request I've heard,:

1. Allow custom names for meals
2. Allow custom exercise entries
3. Allow food listings per ounces, instead of the default 100 grams
4. List fiber/ECC and water total in the monthly view
5. Allow sorting by name, in addition to nutrients

Those are now on the list of new features to add.

Feel free to add more suggestions here :)

Wa'il

Elihnig
Fri, Jan-14-05, 19:46
I see we have little pie charts showing fat, protein and carbs and alcohol. Can we get a daily breakdown by percentages to see if we hit our desired goals, ie 70%/25%/5% or 30/30/40 etc.?

Beth

tamarian
Fri, Jan-14-05, 19:58
I see we have little pie charts showing fat, protein and carbs and alcohol. Can we get a daily breakdown by percentages to see if we hit our desired goals, ie 70%/25%/5% or 30/30/40 etc.?

This is currently shown in the monthly view. But yes, it would be helpful to see it in the daily view as well.

Wa'il

diemde
Fri, Jan-14-05, 21:44
On the food search screen, in the order by drop down, can we have a choice for alphabetical? So when I search on "beans", it just pulls up all the entries that start with the word beans.

dane
Sat, Jan-15-05, 04:58
I second Diemde's request. Also, in references to amounts eaten: while I'm happy enough with the 100g option, and wouldn't mind ounces, since I do both......I think that an option in just "grams" would be really awesome, for those who don't have cups, ounces, etc.

This is one of my major complaints about FitDay.

tamarian
Sat, Jan-15-05, 08:18
I think that an option in just "grams" would be really awesome, for those who don't have cups, ounces, etc.

I'm not sure if I understood this. Grams are very small, if the default listing is one gram, all nutrient contents would be in small fractions, and hard to figure out.

Wa'il

tamarian
Sat, Jan-15-05, 08:18
On the food search screen, in the order by drop down, can we have a choice for alphabetical? So when I search on "beans", it just pulls up all the entries that start with the word beans.

Done :)

Wa'il

dane
Sat, Jan-15-05, 13:37
I'm not sure if I understood this. Grams are very small, if the default listing is one gram, all nutrient contents would be in small fractions, and hard to figure out.

Alright. Maybe it's just a daydream of mine. When I make stuff, I just toss it on my digital scale. So I get 44g strawberries. When I go to enter it in FitDay, I have to estimate that it's approx 1 and 1/2 oz. It'd be nice to just pull down "grams" and type in 44. But if this creates a problem for your default listing, then never mind. I think I see my perfectionism kicking in. :)
ETA I don't need it set as the default, just as an option in the pull down menu.

tamarian
Sat, Jan-15-05, 13:46
Alright. Maybe it's just a daydream of mine. When I make stuff, I just toss it on my digital scale. So I get 44g strawberries. When I go to enter it in FitDay, I have to estimate that it's approx 1 and 1/2 oz. It'd be nice to just pull down "grams" and type in 44. But if this creates a problem for your default listing, then never mind. I think I see my perfectionism kicking in. :)
ETA I don't need it set as the default, just as an option in the pull down menu.

This is actually available :) I thought you meant when displaying a list of results from a search.

To enter exactly 44 grams, simply select the 100 gram selection, and enter 0.44 in the amount box. This way it's exactly 44 grams.

Wa'il

dane
Sat, Jan-15-05, 14:12
Ok :doah:

Now another silly thing. With the "search for more ingredients" spot, I can't find tomatoes. I've typed in "tomato" and "tom", and all I get are entries for babyfood, soup, canned products, and tom turkeys :). I just want regular fresh red tomatoes.

Ok, I found them by searching the vegetable list; they're on page 6. But it would save alot of time if they'd pop up with the above search.

By the way, I just finished entering a recipe, and it worked great! Really like this option.

dane
Sat, Jan-15-05, 14:24
Here's the last thing, and I'm off to bed. I was comparing my day's totals with the same from FitDay, and they are pretty close. One big difference...FD lets you enter the size of the eggs. I have md/sm. The only option for size here is large. For 2 eggs it's a 70 cal difference. Not a big deal for me right now, but if I was carefully watching calories, it would matter. I suppose I could weigh my eggs! :lol: 'Night.

tamarian
Sat, Jan-15-05, 14:25
Now another silly thing. With the "search for more ingredients" spot, I can't find tomatoes. I've typed in "tomato" and "tom", and all I get are entries for babyfood, soup, canned products, and tom turkeys :). I just want regular fresh red tomatoes.

Ok, I found them by searching the vegetable list; they're on page 6. But it would save alot of time if they'd pop up with the above search.

The search box so far is very limited. It will be enhanced, with some advanced options and tips to help narrow the search, and return the most relevant items.

Wa'il

tamarian
Sat, Jan-15-05, 14:28
Here's the last thing, and I'm off to bed. I was comparing my day's totals with the same from FitDay, and they are pretty close. One big difference...FD lets you enter the size of the eggs. I have md/sm. The only option for size here is large. For 2 eggs it's a 70 cal difference. Not a big deal for me right now, but if I was carefully watching calories, it would matter. I suppose I could weigh my eggs! :lol: 'Night.

This should go to the nutritional content thread :) Hopefully this will be covered with member's entries.

Wa'il

diemde
Sat, Jan-15-05, 16:49
On the daily view, can you add an option to delete an item from favorites?

Also, entries in the favorites box don't seem to be in any particular order. Can you have them alphabetized so that it's easier to find an item?

rebma
Sat, Jan-15-05, 19:29
When I was putting together a recipe I couldn't find pork rinds under a search for "pork". I double checked the usda food database and it was in there listed as "Snacks, pork skins, plain". I then did another ingredient search for my recipe using "snack" and the pork rinds showed up, so I know it's in the boards database. Just letting you know that it doesn't show up under the search term "pork".

tamarian
Sat, Jan-15-05, 19:42
On the daily view, can you add an option to delete an item from favorites?

Not sure :) This can be done from the favourites editing page. If we add it, then we'll need to add options to delete from ingredients list, custom list, etc. I'll write it down and think about it for a bit.

Also, entries in the favorites box don't seem to be in any particular order. Can you have them alphabetized so that it's easier to find an item?

Yes, I plan on adding sorting options for the favourites, and other lists.

Wa'il

diemde
Sun, Jan-16-05, 08:19
On the Nutrition Facts page, can you add a column for %RDA. That's what I'm used to looking at from using Fitday. I am just not familiar with all of the actual counts. It makes it difficult to do an assessment.

tamarian
Sun, Jan-16-05, 08:41
On the Nutrition Facts page, can you add a column for %RDA. That's what I'm used to looking at from using Fitday. I am just not familiar with all of the actual counts. It makes it difficult to do an assessment.

The Recommended Daily Allowance is quite biased toward the infamous food pyramid. If we apply the RDA%, it would show most members under-eating "enough carbs", and eating "too much fat".

Wa'il

diemde
Sun, Jan-16-05, 18:24
The Recommended Daily Allowance is quite biased toward the infamous food pyramid. If we apply the RDA%, it would show most members under-eating "enough carbs", and eating "too much fat".

Oh, I'm not saying the RDA is right, but that I'm used to looking at it that way from having used Fitday. So for example, I aim for 150% of the RDA for calcium. :D This is a tough one... I understand your reasoning, but it's going to be hard to have to learn all the numbers. I'd be curious to hear other beta users thoughts on this one.

diemde
Sun, Jan-16-05, 18:30
Adding a new custom food doesn't automatically add it to my favorites. And I can't select it from the custom food list for adding to my day's foods. That means I have to go through 3 steps to get it added to today's foods... add the custom food, then add it to favorites and then add it to today's foods.

Can you add it automatically to the favorites when it's added as a new custom food? I probably wouldn't be entering it if it wasn't needed for that day's foods.

Or add an option from the custom foods list to select and add items to today's food list. If you can do this one, then I would propose giving us the capability to add items directly to today's food list from any of the database searches. I don't necessarily always want to add it to favorites before adding it to today's foods.

diemde
Sun, Jan-16-05, 18:35
On the "my custom foods" screen, the default in the drop down for the go button is to delete. The default should never be delete because it would be too easy to accidentally delete. I recommend changing it to "add to favorites".

I also don't see a way to edit one of my custom foods. Am I missing something? I see the choice for customize this item, but it takes me to defaults, such as the 100 grams, rather than letting me edit what I initially defined. I didn't understand the "serving" entry box and entered "1 serving"... now it shows up as 1 1 serving, so I just want to correct that one thing.

tamarian
Sun, Jan-16-05, 19:27
Excellent suggestions Dianne :thup:

The custom stuff is a bit complicated, and need some more work.

In regards to servings, the "Servings" field is to hold the name of the serving, such as tablespoon, cup, ounce, etc.

The gram field is defaulted to 100 grams, but if you are entering for a serving of a cup, you simply put in the weight in grams for a cup.

This will create a 100 gram serving by default, plus an additional serving that you entered.

Wa'il

tamarian
Mon, Jan-17-05, 09:52
Dianne, most of your suggestions have now been added, including the sorting option, adding custom items to favs.

Also your comments on the long scroll ot the daily items, have now been shrunk considerably, by placing meal totlas in the same row as the meal name/seperator.

I've truncated back the serving size, to save space, but their's a tooltip to show the full serving name when you bring your mouse to each serving name.

Adding directly from the lists to today's food maybe is probably no longer needed, since custom foods showup in the fav list on the daily entry (unless explicitly removed from the favs list by the user).

Great suggestions everyone :thup:, keep'em coming :)

Wa'il

diemde
Mon, Jan-17-05, 18:08
On the new custom foods entry screen, the Title/Description text entry box doesn't accept enough characters. I've had to juggle what I enter 2 out of 3 times I've added an item. It's 35 characters now, can you make it 50 or so?

Ok, on the whole RDA thing... I'm entering a custom food and reading from the Nutrition area on the product's box. For the vitamins, the box only lists percentage of RDA, not the actual amounts. I think we need to be able to enter the percentages.... folks will just leave them blank rather than go to the trouble of translating them.

The screen changes look good, including the new food lists. :thup:

Edited to add: Doesn't look like the tool tip is showing for the dropdowns for the serving size. Should be a hover or pop up, right? I tried in all 3 browsers that I have...

dane
Wed, Jan-19-05, 05:05
Wa'il, I've reread this thread, so I hope I'm not suggesting repeats of Diemde's suggestions. If I am, then they haven't been changed, yet, because these are a few of the things I have just encountered. (I took notes, today. :) )

1) I am pleased to see the "aphabetical" sort option added to the general food search, but can it be made the default option, rather than the effective carb counts? I never choose a food based on it's ECC first.......I need to find it before I'll decide that.

2) Along the same lines, can you arrange the search function so that I can find the item based on the typed word? Example...."sugar" gives me 3 pages of stuff I can't use (babyfood, cookies, etc.). All I want is "sugar". IF I type in "sugars, granulated", then I get what I want, but if I wanted to remember those values, I'd use the USDA, which is a pain. One of the reasons I like FitDay, is I just have to type in an item, and I get a listing STARTING with the item typed. Example. I type in "sugar" and FitDay immediately begins the list with "sugars, granulated" (or brown, or whatever). Or I type in "carrot", and get "carrots, raw", versus Progress Tracker starting off with Babyfood or cookies.

3) When finding an item after doing a general search, the only options for selecting an item are to "Add it to Favorites", or "Add to Recipe Ingredients". How about an option to "Add to daily menu"?

4) In the Quick Selection Box..........where it says "Add from selected ingredients" to this meal: and then there's the meal choice box.......well, is it possible for the meal choice to default to that last used? As I add to the day, I have to constantly go to the box and change it to that certain meal, everytime, and it gets tedious when I have 6 lunch items, and have to reselect "lunch" every time. (I know, poor me.)

I hope these suggestions aren't too nit-picky, but I like easy, and so far this is way more work than FitDay. ('Course, I know that's why you're testing it, huh?) :)

tamarian
Wed, Jan-19-05, 07:36
Great points, dane :thup:

Wa'il

tamarian
Wed, Jan-19-05, 09:13
2) Along the same lines, can you arrange the search function so that I can find the item based on the typed word? Example...."sugar" gives me 3 pages of stuff I can't use (babyfood, cookies, etc.). All I want is "sugar". IF I type in "sugars, granulated", then I get what I want, but if I wanted to remember those values, I'd use the USDA, which is a pain. One of the reasons I like FitDay, is I just have to type in an item, and I get a listing STARTING with the item typed. Example. I type in "sugar" and FitDay immediately begins the list with "sugars, granulated" (or brown, or whatever). Or I type in "carrot", and get "carrots, raw", versus Progress Tracker starting off with Babyfood or cookies.

O.k., the search should now more friendly, give it a try and let me know how the search results look.

Wa'il

dane
Wed, Jan-19-05, 09:45
Bee-yew-ti-full! Much easier to search now. :thup:

And my bug is fixed, and meals are defaulting as requested. Kewl!

Rosebud
Thu, Jan-20-05, 06:25
Wa'il, I entered a new recipe tonight, and found it a bit clumsy to have to go to food lists before adding it to favourites.
Would it be possible for new recipes to be added to favourites on the same page?

I'm finding the servings options in New Custom foods a bit clumsy, too. I wanted to add a food with 100g as default, and then wasn't sure what to put in the Serving name and Serving Amount boxes. It won't let me leave them blank, yet I couldn't see a need for anything there. (Hope that makes sense.)

Cheers,

Roz

diemde
Thu, Jan-20-05, 22:42
Wa'il, On the Update Stats screen, can you add an entry for %BF? I use a body fat monitor, so don't measure.

I'm not sure if other folks would use this report suggestion or not, but I actually log %BF, Lean Mass in lbs and Fat Mass in lbs. The BF monitor shows FM, but I have to calculate LM. Having a tracking report for that would be nice.

tamarian
Fri, Jan-21-05, 07:35
Wa'il, I entered a new recipe tonight, and found it a bit clumsy to have to go to food lists before adding it to favourites.
Would it be possible for new recipes to be added to favourites on the same page?

It will now add recipes to favourites when a recipe is created.

I'm finding the servings options in New Custom foods a bit clumsy, too. I wanted to add a food with 100g as default, and then wasn't sure what to put in the Serving name and Serving Amount boxes. It won't let me leave them blank, yet I couldn't see a need for anything there. (Hope that makes sense.)

This sounds like a bug. A serving name should only be needed if it's not default, 100 grams.

Wa'il

tamarian
Fri, Jan-21-05, 07:36
Wa'il, On the Update Stats screen, can you add an entry for %BF? I use a body fat monitor, so don't measure.

I'm not sure if other folks would use this report suggestion or not, but I actually log %BF, Lean Mass in lbs and Fat Mass in lbs. The BF monitor shows FM, but I have to calculate LM. Having a tracking report for that would be nice.

Yes, it should allow BF entries, if someone already have the numbers.

Wa'il

Rosebud
Fri, Jan-21-05, 16:24
It will now add recipes to favourites when a recipe is created.

Thank you!

Roz

diemde
Fri, Jan-21-05, 18:26
Yes, it should allow BF entries, if someone already have the numbers.

Wa'il
Where do you enter it?

tamarian
Fri, Jan-21-05, 18:42
Where do you enter it?

I meant in the future, as a to-do item :) I think it should accept entries from the same page where the chart is shown.

Wa'il

bigted
Sun, Jan-23-05, 12:52
Hi Wa'il,

This is a cool tool and I like it. It's going to take some time entering my custom stuff but so far I like it.
I have a suggestion...is there anyway you can list the net carbs (as in Carbs minus Fibre) as that's my beef with fitday that I need to work that one out. I realize it's not hard math but I'm mathematically inept and it would be a big plus for me not to have to work that one out.
My apologies if it is already there and I missed it.

Thanks,

Steph

tamarian
Sun, Jan-23-05, 13:09
Hi Wa'il,

This is a cool tool and I like it. It's going to take some time entering my custom stuff but so far I like it.
I have a suggestion...is there anyway you can list the net carbs (as in Carbs minus Fibre) as that's my beef with fitday that I need to work that one out. I realize it's not hard math but I'm mathematically inept and it would be a big plus for me not to have to work that one out.
My apologies if it is already there and I missed it.

Thanks,

Steph

We do show the Effective Carb Count (ECC) as (carbs -fiber) in the search results.

However, in the daily view it may clutter the numbers, as it already lists 4 columns: carbs, protein, fat, fiber and calories.

The ECC is calculated and ready, and would be no big deal to show it, but the numbers may be too confusing, especially for members who don't know what it is, or those who don't subtract fiber.

There are a few options, though. The simplest would be to show a little hover/tooltip when you bring your mouse to the carbs cell, where it would show the ECC. But I think many may not find it.

The other option is to make it a selectable choice in the settings menu, so those who want to see it, will have an extra column showing ECC.

Wa'il

diemde
Sun, Jan-23-05, 17:39
The other option is to make it a selectable choice in the settings menu, so those who want to see it, will have an extra column showing ECC.

I like this idea.

tamarian
Sun, Jan-23-05, 18:10
ECC is now available as a default, instead of Fiber. You can switch between ECC and Fiber by changing the settings in the "Edit Settings" menu.

Wa'il

bigted
Sun, Jan-23-05, 18:36
Thanks Wa'il, that really works for me, now I don't have to scramble for a calulator :)

bigted
Mon, Jan-24-05, 18:15
Hi Wa'il,

It could be my pain meds softening the brain but I am trying to enter a new food - alfredo sauce and it is measured in cups (or mls), not grams and I can't seem to figure out how to enter it without a weight. Am I missing something other than a brain?
Do I assume the mls measure and then enter it? As in enter 60mls as 60g or will that foul things up and give me the wrong information if I used a different quantity?

Thanks,

Steph

tamarian
Mon, Jan-24-05, 18:22
Hi Wa'il,

It could be my pain meds softening the brain but I am trying to enter a new food - alfredo sauce and it is measured in cups (or mls), not grams and I can't seem to figure out how to enter it without a weight. Am I missing something other than a brain?
Do I assume the mls measure and then enter it? As in enter 60mls as 60g or will that foul things up and give me the wrong information if I used a different quantity?

Thanks,

Steph

Do you still have the label? It should state the weight, either in grams or ounces (the tool will soon allow ounces in addition to grams).

The reason it cannot accept cups, is that cups differ in weight. Acup of lettuce is much lighter than a cup of oil, etc.

You can still enter a cup, but the tool needs to know how much the cup weighs.

Wa'il

bigted
Mon, Jan-24-05, 19:03
Yes, I do have the label, but it only gives me two measures - both are volumes - 1/4 cup or 60mls. For now since I only use it in 1/4 cup units I've added it using 60mls as 60g.

PS I hate volume measures and I am much happier using weights must be my European childhood as I just don't like cups as a unit of measure.

diemde
Tue, Jan-25-05, 22:33
Can you add a food category for vitamin & mineral supplements? thx.

tamarian
Wed, Jan-26-05, 05:30
Can you add a food category for vitamin & mineral supplements? thx.

Done, called "Supplements"

However, it's currently empty. So if anyone has made some accurate custom entries, please let me know, and I'll make the custom items "public", so they will be visible in the search function for everyone.

Wa'il

dane
Wed, Jan-26-05, 06:33
So if anyone has made some accurate custom entries, please let me know, and I'll make the custom items "public", so they will be visible in the search function for everyone.
Not sure if this is what you mean, but I entered my protein powder (Designer Whey, a pretty popular brand) as a supplement. You're welcome to it, if you want.

Request: On the daily view, at each meal entered, you have the name of the meal, and then next to that, the totals for the meal of P,C,F, etc. At one point, a few days (weeks?) ago, you had also included the headings (Pro, Carb, Fat, etc.) with each total per meal. I noticed you took them away, and when I get towards the end of the day, and I want to view where I am, say, protein-wise, I can never remember which column it is, and have to scroll ALL the way up to the top to get it. (I know, such a hardship, right?) But if you had it once, I'm wondering (hoping) you can add it back in.

dane
Wed, Jan-26-05, 10:07
Can you tell I am glued to the computer with a sleeping baby on my lap? :)
Another request: I'm entering all my exercises into the exercise log. Is it possible to change the default of "none" (under exercise: ) to that of most recently used? I usually do 2 or 3 of the same exercises, especially the cardio......just another little thing to make data entering easier. :agree:

tamarian
Wed, Jan-26-05, 10:52
Request: On the daily view, at each meal entered, you have the name of the meal, and then next to that, the totals for the meal of P,C,F, etc. At one point, a few days (weeks?) ago, you had also included the headings (Pro, Carb, Fat, etc.) with each total per meal. I noticed you took them away, and when I get towards the end of the day, and I want to view where I am, say, protein-wise, I can never remember which column it is, and have to scroll ALL the way up to the top to get it. (I know, such a hardship, right?) But if you had it once, I'm wondering (hoping) you can add it back in.

The problem is that adding a header for each meal makes the display quite long and require a lot of scrolling.

Maybe we can add a buttom row to help out.

Wa'il

tamarian
Wed, Jan-26-05, 10:52
Can you tell I am glued to the computer with a sleeping baby on my lap? :)
Another request: I'm entering all my exercises into the exercise log. Is it possible to change the default of "none" (under exercise: ) to that of most recently used? I usually do 2 or 3 of the same exercises, especially the cardio......just another little thing to make data entering easier. :agree:

Excellent idea :thup:

Wa'il

dane
Wed, Jan-26-05, 10:56
Maybe we can add a buttom row to help out.
Yeah, that'd be good! :agree:

bigted
Thu, Jan-27-05, 20:03
Hi Wa'il,
I have a suggestion. In the drop down box (at the bottom of the list for the days meals) that offers to add to favourites, add to recipe ingredients or delete - can you add "move the highlighted item(s) to a different meal"? I guess keep putting stuff for the wrong meal and it would be easier than deleting it, then adding it to the right meal.

Thanks,

Steph

tamarian
Thu, Jan-27-05, 21:16
Hi Wa'il,
I have a suggestion. In the drop down box (at the bottom of the list for the days meals) that offers to add to favourites, add to recipe ingredients or delete - can you add "move the highlighted item(s) to a different meal"? I guess keep putting stuff for the wrong meal and it would be easier than deleting it, then adding it to the right meal.

Sounds useful, I'll add it to the feature list :)

Wa'il

dane
Fri, Jan-28-05, 02:40
Morning,
Something I've been meaning to ask and keep forgetting (probably because it's nit-picky, sorry)....... while entering foods in the daily page, I use the "Search for" box pretty frequently. When it gives me the results, I am always brought back to the top of the page, and must then scroll down to the results box. Is it possible for it to return me directly to the results, instead of the top of the page? ie back to the same spot I was?

diemde
Fri, Jan-28-05, 04:54
Hi Wa'il, Now that I've used the new tool for 2 weeks, there's one thing I'm really missing... the ability to see my averages for a period of time. So the average carbs, calories, etc for a selected range of days. At minimum, could you create a weekly summary screen, modelled after the daily summary? It would probably be better, though, if I could select the range of days I want summarized. thanks!

tamarian
Fri, Jan-28-05, 07:07
Hi Wa'il, Now that I've used the new tool for 2 weeks, there's one thing I'm really missing... the ability to see my averages for a period of time. So the average carbs, calories, etc for a selected range of days. At minimum, could you create a weekly summary screen, modelled after the daily summary? It would probably be better, though, if I could select the range of days I want summarized. thanks!

Yes, this is in the plans, among other reports and charts to come :)

Morning,
Something I've been meaning to ask and keep forgetting (probably because it's nit-picky, sorry)....... while entering foods in the daily page, I use the "Search for" box pretty frequently. When it gives me the results, I am always brought back to the top of the page, and must then scroll down to the results box. Is it possible for it to return me directly to the results, instead of the top of the page? ie back to the same spot I was?

I'll see what I can do :)

Wa'il

dane
Sun, Jan-30-05, 04:18
It's me again. I noticed on the Daily Summary page, in the Nutrition Facts column, at the end of the nutrients, there is an entry for water, and an amount in cups. I assume this means the amount of water present in my foods consumed? Regardless, I was wondering if there's a way we can add the amount of water we drink a day, too, to keep track. A few of my journal buddies and I are counting right now..... this could be a useful feature.

tamarian
Sun, Jan-30-05, 06:31
It's me again. I noticed on the Daily Summary page, in the Nutrition Facts column, at the end of the nutrients, there is an entry for water, and an amount in cups. I assume this means the amount of water present in my foods consumed? Regardless, I was wondering if there's a way we can add the amount of water we drink a day, too, to keep track. A few of my journal buddies and I are counting right now..... this could be a useful feature.

That's a good idea.

So the result should be shown for items that are define as water. Not tea, coffee or any other liquid.

There are several water items in the database, municipale, spring and Perrier.

We can use those, but it can get confusing if members start to create their own custom water items, and the PT will not know to count them.

Or maybe water should be a special entry field, marked clearly as water on the form in the daily entry page, and members should put in the number of glasses...

I'll think more about it, but would like to hear what others thing..

Wa'il

Kristine
Tue, Feb-01-05, 13:40
Hi Wa'il. Good suggestions from everyone. :thup: I have a small request: after using the search tool, it would be handy if another search box would appear on the results page. That would save hitting the 'back' button if you know you have to search over again.

I also second this one of Dane's: 3) When finding an item after doing a general search, the only options for selecting an item are to "Add it to Favorites", or "Add to Recipe Ingredients". How about an option to "Add to daily menu"?

That would save quite a few 'clicks'. :thup:

PS - Wa'il, this tracker is turning into something better than what I'm getting out of FitdayPC. If you whipped up a home version of this, you'd have buyers!

tamarian
Tue, Feb-01-05, 13:49
Hi Wa'il. Good suggestions from everyone. :thup: I have a small request: after using the search tool, it would be handy if another search box would appear on the results page. That would save hitting the 'back' button if you know you have to search over again.

Not sure which of the 3 search boxes to put in there. A simple search box with a category list might be the easiest, I guess.

I also second this one of Dane's:
3) When finding an item after doing a general search, the only options for selecting an item are to "Add it to Favorites", or "Add to Recipe Ingredients". How about an option to "Add to daily menu"?
That would save quite a few 'clicks'. :thup:

I'm not sure it would. It would be hard to figure where to add it, breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc. We can add a drop down menu to specify the meal, but it would be confusing, as the meal name does not apply to the other options. Or, the options can say "Add to today's breakfast, add to today's snack 1, add to ....., But then the menu will have 6 meal options, plus the two already there. It's doable, but might be too cluttered.

bigted
Sat, Feb-05-05, 10:26
Hi Wa'il,

I am not sure where to put this so my aplolgies if I've used the wrong thread. My apologies also if I have missed something. How do you edit a recipie? I am not sure how I can get to the recipie once I have entered it into My PLAN? I am sure I have just got a slow brain and I am missing something really obvious.

Thanks,

Steph

tamarian
Sat, Feb-05-05, 10:31
How do you edit a recipie? I am not sure how I can get to the recipie once I have entered it into My PLAN?

The quickest way is to go to the "Food Lists" page, then click "My Recipes". It will show a list of your recipes, along with links to view and/or edit each recipes.

Wa'il

Gailew
Sun, Feb-06-05, 18:16
I haven't read the entire thread, so my apologies if this was covered--I can't seem to enter avacado into my daily entry. I will eat them often, please help. Thanx, Gail

tamarian
Sun, Feb-06-05, 18:43
I haven't read the entire thread, so my apologies if this was covered--I can't seem to enter avacado into my daily entry. I will eat them often, please help. Thanx, Gail

Here you go:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/myplan.php?do=details&item_id=9037

Wa'il

Gailew
Sun, Feb-06-05, 19:00
Thanks, Gail

BawdyWench
Mon, Feb-07-05, 04:50
GREAT new feature! Thanks to the Administrators!!!!!

Jiggerz
Mon, Feb-07-05, 07:46
I'm trying to add a customized food, I'm American and I've never seen "energy" listed on a food lable, this is what?

Thanks,

Michelle

tamarian
Mon, Feb-07-05, 08:15
I'm trying to add a customized food, I'm American and I've never seen "energy" listed on a food lable, this is what?

Thanks,

Michelle

That would be the calories.

Wa'il

ljw32
Tue, Feb-08-05, 08:58
I am wondering if there is a way to only show the grand tot on the menu instead of having the different meals total too. Too many numbers kind of hard to read. I can get used to it but just wondered!

tamarian
Tue, Feb-08-05, 09:03
I am wondering if there is a way to only show the grand tot on the menu instead of having the different meals total too. Too many numbers kind of hard to read. I can get used to it but just wondered!

Do you mean on the summary page?

The left side has a table containing the day totals, on the right side, it contains the small weight chart, meal breakdown, and exercise information.

You can ignore the meal table, since the left hand table (looks like a product label) contains all the day totals.

Wa'il

ljw32
Tue, Feb-08-05, 11:52
Ok- I see that now on the summary page- I was referring to the entry page but I can just look at the summary. Now another question- what does ECC mean? It says carbs-fiber but I don't see the fiber being subtracted from my total.

tamarian
Tue, Feb-08-05, 12:02
Ok- I see that now on the summary page- I was referring to the entry page but I can just look at the summary. Now another question- what does ECC mean? It says carbs-fiber but I don't see the fiber being subtracted from my total.

ECC is Effective Carb Count, which is the actual carbs without the fiber.

Most of the entries in the database already have the carbs discounted, so the ECC is identical. But there are exceptions, where the carbs have not been subtracted, either by the USDA-SR17 database, or by the manufacturer.

Wa'il

4beans4me
Tue, Feb-08-05, 12:53
When I add a new item, sometimes I forget to specify which meal and it is added to Breakfast. Is there a way to add a Move to Breakfast, Move to Lunch etc tab to drop down under *with selected items* ? :)

tamarian
Tue, Feb-08-05, 15:07
When I add a new item, sometimes I forget to specify which meal and it is added to Breakfast. Is there a way to add a Move to Breakfast, Move to Lunch etc tab to drop down under *with selected items* ? :)

Yes, it's on my list of things to-do :)

Wa'il

DaddioM
Tue, Feb-08-05, 17:15
Hi,

I really would like to use my journal to put ALL my thoughts.. the ones I want to share.. and the ones too private to share with anyone but myself (basically I want my journal to become my diary).....

.......so.. here is my request.... an "invisible" font that would appear to the thread owner (or post owner) only. That way I could put all my musings in my journal for later perusal and reflection. Right now.. I end up using the delete key a lot because I get going and go "whoops' that's too private for public consumption.

I know I could separate my thoughts.. public and private into different locations, but when I am using my journal as my way to capture my thoughts and attitudes, it really breaks things up to have to go to another document too.

I know this seems a little off the wall.. but I've seen lots of "edited posts" because people decided that what they put out there was not for public consumption. I think that even those darker posts are good for us to have to look back on to see how our attitudes have progressed over time.

I love this forum!!

Mike

tamarian
Tue, Feb-08-05, 17:25
Hi,

I really would like to use my journal to put ALL my thoughts.. the ones I want to share.. and the ones too private to share with anyone but myself (basically I want my journal to become my diary).....

.......so.. here is my request.... an "invisible" font that would appear to the thread owner (or post owner) only. That way I could put all my musings in my journal for later perusal and reflection. Right now.. I end up using the delete key a lot because I get going and go "whoops' that's too private for public consumption.

I know I could separate my thoughts.. public and private into different locations, but when I am using my journal as my way to capture my thoughts and attitudes, it really breaks things up to have to go to another document too.

I know this seems a little off the wall.. but I've seen lots of "edited posts" because people decided that what they put out there was not for public consumption. I think that even those darker posts are good for us to have to look back on to see how our attitudes have progressed over time.

Not off the wall, just seem a bit complex :) I'll have to think about this for a bit, but if you don't hear back on it, feel free to remind me.

The closest thing we have to this (which is close, but not exactly what you suggest) is the calendar, where you can set private events. Some use that feature as a private diary.

Wa'il

BadgerGirl
Wed, Feb-09-05, 07:06
First let me say this is a fantastic new tool! You admins really outdid yourself and now I'm sorry I purchased FitDay.

Now, on to he the suggestions: Can you please include an ounce selection in the food catagories for ALL foods? I live in the US and weigh all my food on a scale that measures ounces. Typically the smallest ounce serving I consume is 4 -- but it would be nice to be able to use lower measurements; For example, sometimes I eat 2 ounces of blackberries and 2 ounces of strawberries. I'd like to be able to calculate the nutritional value specifically, rather than a generic "mixed berries" or assigning the whole meal to one berry or another.

Thanks! And thank you for this new tool!

tamarian
Wed, Feb-09-05, 07:08
Now, on to he the suggestions: Can you please include an ounce selection in the food catagories for ALL foods? I live in the US and weigh all my food on a scale that measures ounces. Typically the smallest ounce serving I consume is 4 -- but it would be nice to be able to use lower measurements; For example, sometimes I eat 2 ounces of blackberries and 2 ounces of strawberries. I'd like to be able to calculate the nutritional value specifically, rather than a generic "mixed berries" or assigning the whole meal to one berry or another.

Should be coming soon :)

Wa'il

BadgerGirl
Wed, Feb-09-05, 07:10
Should be coming soon :)
Wa'il
Thank you so much!

4beans4me
Wed, Feb-09-05, 09:38
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beans4me

Yes, it's on my list of things to-do :)

Wa'ilThanks Wa'il! I see it's there today! :)

tamarian
Wed, Feb-09-05, 09:56
Thanks Wa'il! I see it's there today! :)

You will also see on the fav list, other lists and the search/browse results page an option to add to any of today's meals. This has been suggested earler in the thread.

Wa'il

tripletmom
Wed, Feb-09-05, 12:10
Not sure if someone else has already suggested this, but I'd rather be redundant than not ask :)

When entering a custom food, am I able to list the weight as Fluid Ounces? Sometimes I drink Atkins Shakes or the like, and can't get the weight correctly?

I might be doing something wrong....

Thanks Wa'il for such a great feature!!

tamarian
Wed, Feb-09-05, 12:18
When entering a custom food, am I able to list the weight as Fluid Ounces? Sometimes I drink Atkins Shakes or the like, and can't get the weight correctly?

I'd love it do it, if there was a way to do it :) Fluid ounces weight differently, such a fluid ounce of honey, vs a fluid ounce of water, flour, etc.

See this thread for more details:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=233220

What I can do though, and have been thinking about, is add a little popup to help members convert fluid ounces to weight. With text listing the weight of one fluid ounce of water, or a cup of water, vs a cup of flour, honey etc. Say 5 items to compare to, based on what you're trying to enter. This should give a hint to get a good guess, but may not be accurate.

Wa'il

LC-Laur
Wed, Feb-09-05, 14:01
How about on our food list the individual food items and recipes be listed seperately? Not necessarily two lists, just have a bold heading like "recipes:" and then all our custom recipes are under that, and then "foods" or something in bold with all our custom food after that, kind of like the "bulk entries," "most recent" and "favorites" are listed now on the "Select from your favorites" list.

Hope that made sense... :blush:

tamarian
Wed, Feb-09-05, 14:06
How about on our food list the individual food items and recipes be listed seperately? Not necessarily two lists, just have a bold heading like "recipes:" and then all our custom recipes are under that, and then "foods" or something in bold with all our custom food after that, kind of like the "bulk entries," "most recent" and "favorites" are listed now on the "Select from your favorites" list.

Hope that made sense... :blush:

You mean in the "Quick Selection" box?

Wa'il

LC-Laur
Wed, Feb-09-05, 14:13
I actually meant on the "food list" page - but yeah, it'd probably be good in the food selection box too as sub-headings under "favorites"

tamarian
Wed, Feb-09-05, 14:28
I actually meant on the "food list" page - but yeah, it'd probably be good in the food selection box too as sub-headings under "favorites"

But the food lists are already divided into several sections, custom, recipes, recent, bulk and favs.

I must be missing something here :) What do you mean by "food list" page? If you cut and paste the link, I'll know exactly which list we're talking about.

Wa'il

LC-Laur
Wed, Feb-09-05, 14:40
http://forum.lowcarber.org/myplan.php?&do=favlist

Hope that shows up...

Anyway, I've only added one recipe, and that worked out great, but on the food lists page it just adds it with all the custom foods I added. Maybe this is just me being an idiot, ya never know. ;)

The actual recipe is "macadamia nut crusted tilapia"

LC-Laur
Wed, Feb-09-05, 14:42
Nevermind.

I AM an idiot! :lol: I totally see where they're separated now!!

Sorry...

tamarian
Wed, Feb-09-05, 15:06
Nevermind.

I AM an idiot! :lol: I totally see where they're separated now!!

Sorry...

That's allright. But you weren't off the mark. Due to previous suggestions, most have requested that if they create a recipe or a custom item, they want them to automatically go to their favs list. Makes for less clicks to add items and have them show in the food entry page.

So even though recipes and custom items have their own lists, they initially are auto-added to favs.

So maybe we can add some sort of a tool tip, or a bracketed comment at the end, if the item on the favs list was from a recipe or custom item, like [recipe], [custom] at the end of the name, or an icon.

Maybe we can even add a settings option, so members can choose if they like the default behaviour of adding recipes and custom items to their favs, or leave as is for them to add manually.

Wa'il

Itty
Wed, Feb-09-05, 17:32
Hi Tamarian

So sorry if this has been asked before...

I entered bagels and regular bagels came up. I eat the lo carb Atkins bagels, so I don't want to add 60 g carbs to my list when they are 8g (plus I only eat half)

Mary

PS this is a fantastic little tool! It is fun! I don't do fitday, too much work.

tamarian
Wed, Feb-09-05, 17:38
I entered bagels and regular bagels came up. I eat the lo carb Atkins bagels, so I don't want to add 60 g carbs to my list when they are 8g (plus I only eat half)

You can create a new custom food item for lc bagles.

Shortly after beta testing, we'll start looking for custom entries for any lc items entered by our members and making them "public", so they can be shared by other members. Same for recipes, you'll be able to see all validated recipes contributed by members, and ensured for data validity.

Wa'il

Itty
Wed, Feb-09-05, 17:47
Thanks!

Oh! I've got another one...

Would I do the same (create under custom) for a multivitamin? I couldn't get into supplements.

Mare

tamarian
Wed, Feb-09-05, 17:50
Thanks!

Oh! I've got another one...

Would I do the same (create under custom) for a multivitamin? I couldn't get into supplements.

Mare

Yes.

The supplements category was recently created so members can create their custom supplement items :)

We'll also be converting some of those custom items to public items, so others can use them.

Wa'il

LC-Laur
Wed, Feb-09-05, 19:49
It'd be nice if on the custom recipe page you could enter an amount or the number of servings instead of only having the option to enter the number of servings.

For instance, I have a spinach dip recipe that makes 3 cups and I'd like to simply enter that it makes 3 cups so that when I do go to enter it into my daily intake, I could just choose "1 Tablespoon" or "1/4 cup" or something like that instead of having to estimate how many servings are in my dip.

tamarian
Wed, Feb-09-05, 20:07
It'd be nice if on the custom recipe page you could enter an amount or the number of servings instead of only having the option to enter the number of servings.

For instance, I have a spinach dip recipe that makes 3 cups and I'd like to simply enter that it makes 3 cups so that when I do go to enter it into my daily intake, I could just choose "1 Tablespoon" or "1/4 cup" or something like that instead of having to estimate how many servings are in my dip.

I'm not sure I understand. The serving amount is up to you. Let's say my recipe makes 2 meatloafs. If my serving is 1/2 a meatloaf, then my recipe make 4 servings, each being 1/2 a meatloaf.

What might be missing though is the serving description. It just calls it a serving. Maybe we can a serving description field, so one can type the text describing their serving size.

Wa'il

dane
Thu, Feb-10-05, 01:04
What might be missing though is the serving description. It just calls it a serving. Maybe we can a serving description field, so one can type the text describing their serving size.
Yes, please! I keep forgetting to ask about this, ;)

LC-Laur
Thu, Feb-10-05, 08:55
That'd work. :thup:

tamarian
Thu, Feb-10-05, 09:17
O.k., check the new recipe page. There's a number of servings field, and a serving name field.

Wa'il

tamarian
Thu, Feb-10-05, 09:22

There's now a 1 ounce serving size by default to all the food entries (including new custom items and recipes).

Also, in the "Edit Settings" page, you can change your default serving size (100 grams or 1 ounce) for food entry, recipe editor, and bulk entry form.

Wa'il

dstartz
Thu, Feb-10-05, 15:38
Would it be possible in the 'gym' area to simply write what we do each day instead of having to enter each thing separately?

I now use my journal (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=226783&page=2) to post my exercising, but would really rather have it in another area. Plus, I've started doing HIIT walking and it really doesn't fit into the gym's format.

Many thanks for all your hard work!!!!

Donna

tamarian
Thu, Feb-10-05, 15:41
Would it be possible in the 'gym' area to simply write what we do each day instead of having to enter each thing separately?

I now use my journal (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=226783&page=2) to post my exercising, but would really rather have it in another area. Plus, I've started doing HIIT walking and it really doesn't fit into the gym's format.

Many thanks for all your hard work!!!!

Donna

Can you give me an example of what you'd like to enter and where and how it's put together?

Just need to visualize what you mean :)

Wa'il

dstartz
Thu, Feb-10-05, 15:49
Here's a link to my journal (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=226783&page=2).

Here's last night's entry:

Wednesday, Feb 9, 2005

Dumbbell Curl (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Biceps/DBCurl.html) http://dstartz.com/LC/html/emoticons/weights.gif

8 lbs ~ 28
10 lbs ~ 8

Dumbbell Wrist Curl (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/WristFlexors/DBWristCurl.html)

8 lbs ~ 31
11 lbs ~ 11

Dumbbell Reverse Wrist Curl (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/WristExtensors/DBReverseWristCurl.html)

5 lbs ~ 12
8 lbs ~ 8

Treadmill___http://dstartz.com/LC/html/emoticons/conveyer.gif

5 min ~ 2.1 mph
1 - 3.1 mph ~ 30 secs; 2.2 mph ~ 1 min
1 - 3.1 mph ~ 30 secs; 2.2 mph ~ 45 secs
1 - 3.2 mph ~ 30 secs; 2.2 mph ~ 45 secs
1 - 3.8 mph ~ 30 secs; 2.2 mph ~ 90 secs
1 - 3.7 mph ~ 30 secs; 2.2 mph ~ 90 secs
1 - 3.6 mph ~ 30 secs; 2.2 mph ~ 90 secs
1 - 3.4 mph ~ 30 secs; 2.2 mph ~ 90 secs
1 - 3.9 mph ~ 30 secs; 2.2 mph ~ 90 secs
3 min ~ 2.1 mph
2 min ~ 1.9 mph

Total 24 mins walk time

http://dstartz.com/art/hearts.gif

tamarian
Thu, Feb-10-05, 16:20
So you want to enter that as text message?

Wa'il

dstartz
Thu, Feb-10-05, 16:49
If you would like to make it so that we have drop down menus of exercises and boxes to fill in time and reps that would be nice. I don't know what it would take to set it up so I won't ask for much so text would work, too.

It would be nice if it was so we could see a graph of our progress, but, again, I'm not doing the coding...

Thank you for this opportunity!!

Donna/dstartz

tamarian
Thu, Feb-10-05, 16:59
If you would like to make it so that we have drop down menus of exercises and boxes to fill in time and reps that would be nice. I don't know what it would take to set it up so I won't ask for much so text would work, too.

It would be nice if it was so we could see a graph of our progress, but, again, I'm not doing the coding...

Even though text message is easier, it would be a bit clumsy, and hard to chart based on messages.

As to sets and reps, that's already in my list of things to do. What I have in mind is organizing exercises by body part, and then by the muscle and workout name (like the hierarchy from exrx.net), and then entry fields for sets, reps and weights.

Sounds like that's you're talking about, and if so, it's definitly in the plan :)

Wa'il

dstartz
Thu, Feb-10-05, 17:57
It sounds wonderful!!

Do you have any idea when that might be available? (a month, 6 months, 6 weeks,...) Nothing I would hold you to, I'm just curious.

Many thanks,

Donna

tamarian
Thu, Feb-10-05, 18:01
It sounds wonderful!!

Do you have any idea when that might be available? (a month, 6 months, 6 weeks,...) Nothing I would hold you to, I'm just curious.

Not that long, I'd say a week or two. If you don't see it by then, feel free to remind me :)

Wa'il

jeanyyy
Fri, Feb-11-05, 00:58
I don't know if this has already been mentioned or not (I read the entire thread a while ago and I don't remember!)... When adding a food to the day, it always goes into "Breakfast". Is there a way to have it default to the last meal recorded, so we would only have to remember to change it for the first item?

dane
Fri, Feb-11-05, 01:24
Yeah, Wa'il, mine has been doing the same thing, too, for the past 2 days. I thought mabe it was due to the tweaking you've been doing, and that it'd work itself out, but it hasn't. And now I see it's not just me! :)

tamarian
Fri, Feb-11-05, 08:17
Yeah, Wa'il, mine has been doing the same thing, too, for the past 2 days. I thought mabe it was due to the tweaking you've been doing, and that it'd work itself out, but it hasn't. And now I see it's not just me! :)

It's now fixed :)

Wa'il

jeanyyy
Fri, Feb-11-05, 11:21
Yay! Thank you! :)

JennLynnRN
Sat, Feb-12-05, 11:53
There's one thing I don't like about this program....when you enter cutom food you have to make the serving based on weight. For instance, I entered the nutritional info for one slice of turkey lunch meat, not knowing the exact weight, and when I tried to enter 2 slices into the breakfast catagory I had to do it based on weight. Is there any way the custom foods can be entered as servings (rather than as weight) into the food entry?

JennLynnRN
Sat, Feb-12-05, 11:57
Sorry, nevermind.....I somehow fixed it!

tamarian
Sat, Feb-12-05, 17:01
If you would like to make it so that we have drop down menus of exercises and boxes to fill in time and reps that would be nice.

There's a new exercise section on the menu "Resistance logs".

Enjoy :)

Wa'il

dstartz
Sat, Feb-12-05, 18:48
I've looked and looked but I can't find it!!

Help?

tamarian
Sat, Feb-12-05, 18:56
I've looked and looked but I can't find it!!

Help?

It should be just under "cardio log":

http://forum.lowcarber.org/myplan.php?&do=editworkout

Wa'il

dstartz
Sat, Feb-12-05, 20:09
It's wonderful!!! Thank you!!

Is there anyway to add exercises? (It's light on upper arm exercises...)

Again,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

dstartz
Sat, Feb-12-05, 20:23
It's changing the entries from the order in which I put them.... Can I stop it from doing that?

Would a comment area for the exercise &/or work-out be possible?

Also, I put an entry in under the wrong date. Can it be made so the date can be changed instead of removing the entry and then re-entering it? (To save on server usage...)

This site is becoming the do all to end all.

Thank you!!

tamarian
Sat, Feb-12-05, 21:02
Is there anyway to add exercises? (It's light on upper arm exercises...)

Yes, I'll add them whenever someone needs them. The list was quickly compiled, so feel free to post a list of you'd liek to use.

Wa'il

tamarian
Sat, Feb-12-05, 21:12
It's changing the entries from the order in which I put them.... Can I stop it from doing that?

It sorts them by body part, then by exercise, within the same day. This is done for those who do more than one body part, and would like their sets listed seperately. Say 2x10 with 200 lbs, then 1x5 with 250 lbs. With the current sorting order, it will not mix the reps between inbetween different exercises.

Would a comment area for the exercise &/or work-out be possible?

I'll think about it. How long a comment are you thinking? A full text box like a forum post?

Also, I put an entry in under the wrong date. Can it be made so the date can be changed instead of removing the entry and then re-entering it? (To save on server usage...)

It's possible, but will require making two rows for each day, since a single row will not be able to hold 3 drop down lists, for day, month and year, fo ever single set. So it will end up cluttering the page when you have full list of entries, say 50 workouts on a page, with 150 drop down menus :)

Wa'il

dstartz
Sat, Feb-12-05, 22:08
I'll think about it. How long a comment are you thinking? A full text box like a forum post?
Per exercise maybe 15 characters, per workout 30-45?

So it will end up cluttering the page when you have full list of entries, say 50 workouts on a page, with 150 drop down menus :)
In the words of Rosanna Rosannadanna, "Never mind." http://dstartz.com/LC/html/emoticons/nervous.gif

ljw32
Sun, Feb-13-05, 09:14
Can I make my recent food choices show the ones from more than the past day? Like maybe for the past week.

tamarian
Sun, Feb-13-05, 09:30
Can I make my recent food choices show the ones from more than the past day? Like maybe for the past week.

The recent foods listed in the daily entry are limited to the last unique 10 most recent items. This limit is done to make the list shorter, and assumes if an item is used very frequently, it would have been added to the favourites list by the user.

The one in the Food lists menu is limited to the last unique 50 items, as more than that the page will take longer to load.

I open to the idea of changing those limits, but the numbers need to be carefully chosen, so they don't get in the way of keeping things user-friendly :)

Wa'il

ARo
Sun, Feb-13-05, 15:11
Is there a way to enter foods not on the list? I wanted to put in 1/2 cup Breyers Carb Smart ice cream, but wasn't sure if or how...

tamarian
Sun, Feb-13-05, 15:14
Is there a way to enter foods not on the list? I wanted to put in 1/2 cup Breyers Carb Smart ice cream, but wasn't sure if or how...

Yes, click on "New Custom food" from the left side menu.

Wa'il

dane
Mon, Feb-14-05, 02:57
Morning, Wa'il!!!!!!!
I'm so excited today to see the new resistance and cardio log features! Will we be able to export them to our gym logs, too?

ETA: With the custom exercises......where does it go after you create it? I see my Static Wall Squat is not in my daily workout summary, on the Daily Summary page, or noted in my resistance log.

tamarian
Mon, Feb-14-05, 05:58
Morning, Wa'il!!!!!!!
I'm so excited today to see the new resistance and cardio log features! Will we be able to export them to our gym logs, too?

ETA: With the custom exercises......where does it go after you create it? I see my Static Wall Squat is not in my daily workout summary, on the Daily Summary page, or noted in my resistance log.

The custom exercise is for cardio only, so it will show in the cardio logs. Once a custom cardio exercise is created, it will be available for selection in the drop down list.

But any cardio or resistance info will show up on the summary page for the day they were logged.

Wa'il

OyVey
Mon, Feb-14-05, 15:39
this is a verrry long thread so I apologize if this was asked before. on the WHR chart can you add the .1 .2 .3, etc. along the Y axis? it's hard to tell just how close to .8 I am which it says is a good ratio....

tamarian
Mon, Feb-14-05, 18:30
this is a verrry long thread so I apologize if this was asked before. on the WHR chart can you add the .1 .2 .3, etc. along the Y axis? it's hard to tell just how close to .8 I am which it says is a good ratio....

Excellent idea. Coming soon :)

Wa'il

ljw32
Mon, Feb-14-05, 20:19
The recent foods listed in the daily entry are limited to the last unique 10 most recent items. This limit is done to make the list shorter, and assumes if an item is used very frequently, it would have been added to the favourites list by the user.

The one in the Food lists menu is limited to the last unique 50 items, as more than that the page will take longer to load.

I open to the idea of changing those limits, but the numbers need to be carefully chosen, so they don't get in the way of keeping things user-friendly :)

Wa'il

Ok- back to this- maybe a drop down box to display last 20 items, 30 items, or past day, past 2 days, etc. Not a huge deal but inconvenient to look up foods over and over if I am eating the same thing 2 days later. One thing I did like about fitday was you could list recent foods or all recent foods, then just pick what you had. Just a suggestion!

OyVey
Mon, Feb-14-05, 20:23
Excellent idea. Coming soon :)

Wa'il

thanks! :D

tamarian
Mon, Feb-14-05, 22:14
Ok- back to this- maybe a drop down box to display last 20 items, 30 items, or past day, past 2 days, etc. Not a huge deal but inconvenient to look up foods over and over if I am eating the same thing 2 days later. One thing I did like about fitday was you could list recent foods or all recent foods, then just pick what you had. Just a suggestion!

We can do this in the food lists section, as there's a lot of room, and all items listed can be entered in the daily food. But won't be able to add those options in the "Quick pick" box on the daily entry page, as the selection will clutter the box, and push the favourites way down, and one would have to croll a long list to reach their favourites.

So, it coming soon :)

Wa'il

selfcare
Tue, Feb-15-05, 00:56
I'm sure this has been said, but...

The main way this is not quite as useful as fitday for food recording is that you can't add custom foods. If I eat low carb italian salad dressing for instance, I can't list it with my foods. So I will be sticking to fitday for now for food.

Also, I must admit that I like the way that fitday deals with portion sizes, in that you can just enter how many cups, ounces, etc without having to figure out what percentage of a 100 gr you ate.

For those who have trouble with gram to oz or tsp or whatever conversions on fitday, here's what I do:

I go to google and enter in my conversion in the search bar, such as "44 gr to cup" and hit "search" and it will do the conversion for you.

But let me stress that I LOVE the exercise and weight chart features, they are WAY better than fitdays! I love My P.L.A.N. and it's really helping me!

tamarian
Tue, Feb-15-05, 06:19
The main way this is not quite as useful as fitday for food recording is that you can't add custom foods. If I eat low carb italian salad dressing for instance, I can't list it with my foods. So I will be sticking to fitday for now for food.

People will stick to whatever they want, we have no problem with that.

But you can enter custom food, if you didn't check the menu.

Also, I must admit that I like the way that fitday deals with portion sizes, in that you can just enter how many cups, ounces, etc without having to figure out what percentage of a 100 gr you ate.

Weigh and volume cannot be converted without too wide an aproximation. This is due to density.

It would be easy for us to add cups, gallons, liters, etc. But it maybe a bit misleading, since it will assume the density of water (or any arbitrary fluid). This may present a problem in calculating recipes in the recipe tool..

Wa'il

selfcare
Tue, Feb-15-05, 13:29
I had a feeling I had missed something! Where exactly is the custom food option? I couldn't find it for the life of me!

As for the grams issue...getting a bit too complicated for me. I realize that the servings on fitday aren't too exact, but I am comfortable with fitday just being a "guesstimate" of my calories, because getting too precise would just be more stressful for me. As long as I know I am basically on track I am fine.

Anyway, thanks again for a fantastic new feature!

tamarian
Tue, Feb-15-05, 13:33
To create a custom food entry, you will see in the left side menu "New Custom Food"

Wa'il

ljw32
Wed, Feb-16-05, 10:10
Ok- sounds good- thanks!!

treefrog
Thu, Feb-17-05, 14:35
In the Resistance Log I have noticed that when I am entering data in the Select the date box, it always defaults back to the current (today's) date. Can we change it to the day that you were currently entering data for (I usually enter this information the day after I lift).

Also, the Workout drop down menu in the same box, defaults back to Chest Dip (the 1st exercise on the list), it would be helpful if it would default to the same exercise you were just entering, so you don't have to scroll through the entire list to find the same exercise each time. I usually do multiple sets at different reps and/or weights.

Also, can you add Leg Press to the list (under thighs)?
And, I do Leg Extensions, do you know if this is the same as the listed hyper-extension (also under thighs)?

Cathy

tamarian
Thu, Feb-17-05, 14:47
In the Resistance Log I have noticed that when I am entering data in the Select the date box, it always defaults back to the current (today's) date. Can we change it to the day that you were currently entering data for (I usually enter this information the day after I lift).

Also, the Workout drop down menu in the same box, defaults back to Chest Dip (the 1st exercise on the list), it would be helpful if it would default to the same exercise you were just entering, so you don't have to scroll through the entire list to find the same exercise each time. I usually do multiple sets at different reps and/or weights.

Also, can you add Leg Press to the list (under thighs)?
And, I do Leg Extensions, do you know if this is the same as the listed hyper-extension (also under thighs)?

Yes, should be coming soon.

re: extensions, check http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html for the exact exercise and an animated pic of the movement.

Wa'il

treefrog
Thu, Feb-17-05, 14:57
Right, so that isn't the exercise that I do, this is, the Lever Leg Extension...can we also add this to the list?

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/LVLegExtension.html/[url]

And this is the Leg Press I am referring to...

[url]http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/SL45LegPress.html

Don't know if you need the links in order to add them to your list, but figured it wouldn't hurt.

Thanks,
Cathy

treefrog
Thu, Feb-17-05, 14:57
Right, so that isn't the exercise that I do, this is, the Lever Leg Extension...can we also add this to the list?

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/LVLegExtension.html/

And this is the Leg Press I am referring to...

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/SL45LegPress.html

Don't know if you need the links in order to add them to your list, but figured it wouldn't hurt.

Thanks,
Cathy

tamarian
Thu, Feb-17-05, 15:11
The links help, and I'll revisit the list to fill any missing elements. Someone already mentioned some missing upper arms workouts.

Wa'il

dane
Fri, Feb-18-05, 08:48
Someone already mentioned some missing upper arms workouts. Like flat bench press, and incline flye, I hope? :)

Archie
Sat, Feb-19-05, 16:09
If it hasn't been suggested I would like to see a "browse" feature on the foods (does it exist and I'm missing it?). There will be many occasions where the food you're looking for just won't be in the database and you may want to find a similar substitite. It is very difficult to do this by a search.
Thanks and congrats on this wonderful new addition to ALC!
Archie

tamarian
Sat, Feb-19-05, 16:30
If it hasn't been suggested I would like to see a "browse" feature on the foods (does it exist and I'm missing it?). There will be many occasions where the food you're looking for just won't be in the database and you may want to find a similar substitite. It is very difficult to do this by a search.

There are ways to browse the database items by food category:

1. From the food entry page: There's a drop down list at the bottom. You select the category, like poultry for example, and click "Browse".

2. From the search page: If you select a category, and hit "search", without entering a search word, it will show all items in that category.

Wa'il

bigted
Sun, Feb-20-05, 09:51
Hi Wa'il,

I tinkered with a recipe this morning and needed to print it. Is there a way to add a print feature? It would also be handy for some to be able to print their food diary too. I copy and pasted it to a word document and then printed it but a print feature would be nice.

Thanks,

Steph

tamarian
Sun, Feb-20-05, 09:53
I tinkered with a recipe this morning and needed to print it. Is there a way to add a print feature? It would also be handy for some to be able to print their food diary too. I copy and pasted it to a word document and then printed it but a print feature would be nice.

Yes, I'll add those to the to-do list :)

Wa'il

tamarian
Sun, Feb-20-05, 17:30
For those who requested some missing workouts, they should be there now :)

If you have any new workout requests, it's best to create a new thread, and I'll probably make it a "sticky", just so that it would be easier to track :)

Wa'il

BadgerGirl
Tue, Feb-22-05, 11:42
If you have any new workout requests, it's best to create a new thread, and I'll probably make it a "sticky", just so that it would be easier to track :)
I don't think this request counts as a new workout, but would you be willing to add to the walking category 2.5 and 3 mph? Some of us are starting out by crawling. :blush:

By the way, I've been learning to get around the site and it rocks!!

tamarian
Tue, Feb-22-05, 13:34
I don't think this request counts as a new workout, but would you be willing to add to the walking category 2.5 and 3 mph?

Done.

Notice that you can also add your custom cardio types for your own use.

Wa'il

treefrog
Tue, Feb-22-05, 14:38
Can we add a condiments category to the food categories?

I added a SF relish as a custom food, and I would have liked to have been able to put it into a condiments category, instead of soups, sauces and gravies.

tamarian
Tue, Feb-22-05, 14:47
Can we add a condiments category to the food categories?

I added a SF relish as a custom food, and I would have liked to have been able to put it into a condiments category, instead of soups, sauces and gravies.

There's a category there for "Spices and Herbs" :)

Wa'il

treefrog
Tue, Feb-22-05, 14:50
I guess I don't really consider things like mustard, ketchup, mayo (although I put this one under fats) and relish as spices and herbs.

But, I guess if there really aren't too many products to warrant another category, I can get around it.

Thanks.

treefrog
Tue, Feb-22-05, 14:54
Well, I just looked up some of these items. They list relish and catsup (not ketchup :lol: ) in vegetable/vegetable products. Prepared yellow mustard is listed as a spice/herb.

I guess, sometimes it's hard to categorize things.

tamarian
Tue, Feb-22-05, 15:17
I guess, sometimes it's hard to categorize things.

True.

Phase 2 of MyPLAN will focus on sharing data, such as recipes and custom items. So we'll probably decide on then on categories among other things.

The good news is, you will be able to edit your custom categories and recipes to change their category, when new categories are created.

Wa'il

BadgerGirl
Tue, Feb-22-05, 17:21
Done.

Notice that you can also add your custom cardio types for your own use.

Wa'il
Thank you! It's hard to believe this is all provided free. I hope more members are subscribing! :D

treefrog
Tue, Feb-22-05, 18:08
True.

Phase 2 of MyPLAN will focus on sharing data, such as recipes and custom items. So we'll probably decide on then on categories among other things.

The good news is, you will be able to edit your custom categories and recipes to change their category, when new categories are created.

Wa'il

Oh, that sounds great.

Thanks again, and especially for all your hard work.
Cathy

Archie
Wed, Feb-23-05, 20:58
Thanks for the tip on the browse feature Tamarian!

diemde
Sun, Feb-27-05, 09:59
Wa'il, The custom exercises only allow adding to cardio. Can you make it so that we can add custom to resistance? I don't see any pulldowns (http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/LatissimusDorsi/CBCloseGripPulldown.html) in the list and wanted to add them. Thanks!

tamarian
Sun, Feb-27-05, 10:08
Wa'il, The custom exercises only allow adding to cardio. Can you make it so that we can add custom to resistance? I don't see any pulldowns (http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/LatissimusDorsi/CBCloseGripPulldown.html) in the list and wanted to add them. Thanks!

For resistance training, the choices of workout names are limited (in number and variety) compared to cardio, where new ones are coming all the time. So I prefer to complete a full listing of workouts for everyone to use . If you see any specific workouts missing, just let me know, and they will be added (I'll add the missing pulldown's).

Wa'il

diemde
Sun, Feb-27-05, 10:39
Ok, thanks Wa'il.

selfcare
Tue, Mar-01-05, 14:32
You know what would be a useful feature (she said, expecting that Wa'il will probably reply and say they already have it ;))...

If the weight tab could tell you your weekly average weight in addition to the day by day chart, as it's important for us CADers.

Anyway -- still lovin My PLAN & thanks again for all the hard work!

tamarian
Tue, Mar-01-05, 14:52
You know what would be a useful feature (she said, expecting that Wa'il will probably reply and say they already have it ;))...

If the weight tab could tell you your weekly average weight in addition to the day by day chart, as it's important for us CADers.

No, we don't have it already :)

It's been a while since I've read the first CAD, so, what is this weekly average, and how is it calculated?

There's quite a few ways do average, such as average loss per week, a 7 day moving average, etc...

Wa'il

selfcare
Tue, Mar-01-05, 15:02
Thanks for replying...

As for what kind of average? Hm. I only have the 1st CAD book, so if anyone has CALP etc, please chime in. Here's the quote:

"Record your weight every day. Compare only your weekly averages to see if you are losing weight. (To get your average for the week, add up all the weights in that week, and divide by the number of weighings.)"

Currently I am entering each day's weight on an Excel doc and then averaging. It's helpful because my daily number bounces around so much that I thought I wasn't losing at all -- but if I just look at the average I have been losing steadily a lb per week. Hopefully that's true!!! :lol:

Dodger
Wed, Mar-02-05, 15:43
I tried to find real mayonnaise in the data base, but there appear to be only a tofu based one, a low calorie and low sodium one, a no cholesterol one and a reduced-calorie no cholesterol one. There are also lots of mayonnaise like salad dressing listed, but no real mayonnaise.

I realize this is a USDA data base, not yours, but mayonnaise is such a popular item for low-carbers that I feel it should be added to the data base.

I have to admit I am shocked that the UDSA would test 17 items that are all forms of fake mayonnaise, but not real mayonnaise.

tamarian
Wed, Mar-02-05, 16:07
I tried to find real mayonnaise in the data base, but there appear to be only a tofu based one, a low calorie and low sodium one, a no cholesterol one and a reduced-calorie no cholesterol one. There are also lots of mayonnaise like salad dressing listed, but no real mayonnaise.

I realize this is a USDA data base, not yours, but mayonnaise is such a popular item for low-carbers that I feel it should be added to the data base.

I have to admit I am shocked that the UDSA would test 17 items that are all forms of fake mayonnaise, but not real mayonnaise.

You can add it as a custom entry.

In the next phase of this project, we will provide sharing tools for custom items and recipes, where we can make many of the custom items and recipes available to all, provided they have sufficient nutritionaldata.

Wa'il

LC-Laur
Thu, Mar-03-05, 14:31
How about on the Health Stats page we have the option of entering Triglycerides as well. :)

tamarian
Thu, Mar-03-05, 14:33
How about on the Health Stats page we have the option of entering Triglycerides as well. :)

Yes, it should have been there.

Wa'il

diemde
Sat, Mar-05-05, 17:19
Wa'il, from the main Summary page, if you click on add/edit note, it brings up the notes summary page, which shows from Feb 27th through today. Would it be better if you just showed today's date and then we could use the jump to command if we wanted to enter a different date? Or, alternatively, go ahead and jump right to entering a note for today's date.

Should it still be showing February on the notes summary page? It also has two "jump to" drop downs shown, the one for February and the one for March.

tamarian
Sat, Mar-05-05, 17:31
Wa'il, from the main Summary page, if you click on add/edit note, it brings up the notes summary page, which shows from Feb 27th through today. Would it be better if you just showed today's date and then we could use the jump to command if we wanted to enter a different date? Or, alternatively, go ahead and jump right to entering a note for today's date.

Should it still be showing February on the notes summary page? It also has two "jump to" drop downs shown, the one for February and the one for March.

The notes page shows a full week. This is because most notes are a sentence or two, and it's easier to read a week's worth, rather than navigate for each day's comment.

The jump dates, are to select the week to jump to.

This week happens to be in February and March, so you get to jump to a week in either month, or alternatively, click on the next/previous week.

It was intended to have the look and feel of vBulletin's weekly calendar mode.

What we can do though, it let it scroll by default to today's date within the week, if this make it easier...

Wa'il

diemde
Sat, Mar-05-05, 19:49
Oh, this makes sense then. I hadn't worked with it before, so was thinking it was monthly. Duh!

What we can do though, it let it scroll by default to today's date within the week, if this make it easier...

I like this idea.

diemde
Sat, Mar-05-05, 20:03
One more request, a tricky one...

Can you come up with a way to show calorie deficit? This would be calories in minus calories burned. I know the calories burned would be the hard part, but if you can calculate it from the combination of BMR and exercises entered that would be ideal.

I know a problem I have on entering the resistance training is that I don't enter duration. I don't really know how to enter that so it's accurate. What I'd really love is a way to show calories burned simply based on sets, reps and weights. That's probably too hard, though.

Thanks.

tamarian
Sat, Mar-05-05, 21:13
One more request, a tricky one...

Can you come up with a way to show calorie deficit? This would be calories in minus calories burned. I know the calories burned would be the hard part, but if you can calculate it from the combination of BMR and exercises entered that would be ideal.

I know a problem I have on entering the resistance training is that I don't enter duration. I don't really know how to enter that so it's accurate. What I'd really love is a way to show calories burned simply based on sets, reps and weights. That's probably too hard, though.

Thanks.

I'll add caloric deficit to my to-do list. The development work for it isn't that hard, it's finding a formula that makes sense that's tricky, and may require a lot of feedback to fine tune.

As to reps and set expenditure, I think the easiest way to guestimate it is by entering it as cardio weight-lifting, or cistomizing a cardio entry for a specific level of intensity.

Wa'il

diemde
Sun, Mar-06-05, 15:41
Wa'il, the order in which you do resistance exercise can make a difference. Especially if you are decreasing weights or reps. Is there any way to let us depict the order when we enter the exercise for the day? It appears to be storing it in a predefined order.

tamarian
Sun, Mar-06-05, 16:05
Wa'il, the order in which you do resistance exercise can make a difference. Especially if you are decreasing weights or reps. Is there any way to let us depict the order when we enter the exercise for the day? It appears to be storing it in a predefined order.

The way it currently orders the wrokouts within a day is as follows:

1. Order by body part (back, upper arms, etc), then
2. order the workout of each body part by the each specific exercise.

We can change it to:

2. order the workout of each body part by the each specific exercise (like bench press), then
3. order by entry sequence (i.e. maintain the order of entry, set 1, set 2 etc.)

That would be an easy change, and sounds like what you're talking about?

Wa'il

diemde
Sun, Mar-06-05, 21:27
We can change it to:

2. order the workout of each body part by the each specific exercise (like bench press), then
3. order by entry sequence (i.e. maintain the order of entry, set 1, set 2 etc.)

This would be a step in the right direction, but I'd really like to see it ordered by entry sequence, regardless of body part, reps, etc. In an ideal world, I would do all of one body part together, but sometimes the equipment is in use and I'm jumping around. The couple of times I worked with a personal trainer in a group setting, he had us do one set on one machine, then do one set on a different machine, then come back to the first machine for the next set. To get the best workout, you don't want to wait more than 30 seconds or so betwen sets, so I'd like be able to look back and see if the order I do things is hindering my progress. If you don't think this is worthwhile, or if others want to keep it this way, then I can just log the order in my gym log and use that as my reference.

Thanks. :D

tamarian
Mon, Mar-07-05, 09:57
This would be a step in the right direction, but I'd really like to see it ordered by entry sequence, regardless of body part, reps, etc.

Beware what you whish for :) Making it in the sequence of entry is very easy to implement. But it may have undesirable effects. Say you entered 3 sets for a bench press, 3 sets of curls, and then you forgot a 4th set of bench-press that you didn't enter. If we do it by sequence of entry, you will need to delete the 3 sets of curls, add the 4th set of bench press, and then re-enter the 3 sets of curls, so that the order would be correct. Sorting by body part, then exercise, then by order of entry, eliminates this problem.

I'm not saying it's not worthwhile, I'm just anticipating the complainst we'll get if it's done by sequence of entry :)

We can add a box where members can explicitly state the sequence they want to record each set, but it would clutter things a bit, and if there are 4 exercises, 3 sets each, you will need to update 12 boxes to change the sequence. So I'm not sure if this is desirable

Wa'il

tamarian
Tue, Mar-08-05, 09:46

Now available :thup:

Wa'il

Elihnig
Wed, Mar-16-05, 16:09
One thing I wish we had is for when you don't know exactly how the food you are eating is prepared or what cut of meat it is, for example:

Steak, NS as to type of meat, cooked, NS as to fat eaten 12 oz, boneless, cooked 862 51 0 95

Beth

tamarian
Wed, Mar-16-05, 19:13
[QUOTE=Elihnig]One thing I wish we had is for when you don't know exactly how the food you are eating is prepared or what cut of meat it is, for example:/QUOTE]

Not sure I understand the suggestion. You mean a "general" entry for steaks? You can create as a custom item drived from any existing steak entry.

Wa'il

Elihnig
Thu, Mar-17-05, 09:11
What I meant was a "not sure" or "no facts stated" option for when you don't know what type it is, how it was prepared, like when you eat at a restaurant. Fitday has options like that.

Just a suggestion.

Beth

tamarian
Thu, Mar-17-05, 10:43
What I meant was a "not sure" or "no facts stated" option for when you don't know what type it is, how it was prepared, like when you eat at a restaurant. Fitday has options like that.

Just a suggestion.

You mean for custom items? You want to create a custom items, that contains a food name say "Restaurant lunch special", but with no nutritional values? I think you can already do that, if you type all zero's, it should accept it.

Wa'il

diemde
Wed, Mar-23-05, 05:53
Hi Wa'il, Can you add Seated Hip Abduction (http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/HipAbductor/LVSeatedHipAbduction.html) to the resistance exercises?

Thank you!

tamarian
Wed, Mar-23-05, 08:53
Hi Wa'il, Can you add Seated Hip Abduction (http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/HipAbductor/LVSeatedHipAbduction.html) to the resistance exercises?

Sure, all 3 abduction workouts added.

Wa'il

diemde
Wed, Mar-30-05, 06:40
Hi Wa'il, can you add the Reverse hyper extension (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/WtReverseHyperextension.html) to the list of resistance exercises?

Also, I was wondering if on the resistance log page, if you could add the capability to click the check box and then at the bottom add a button for "add to today"? That would make it easier to add today's workout. Then all we'd have to do is update the weights, sets, etc.

Thank you!

GillM
Wed, Mar-30-05, 17:49
how do you show "my plan" next to galleries" "my quote" etc...??

tamarian
Wed, Mar-30-05, 17:53
how do you show "my plan" next to galleries" "my quote" etc...??
Got to the MyPLAN page, and click "Edit Settings", then change the privacy option. This will make it show to others.

Wa'il

tamarian
Wed, Mar-30-05, 18:38
Hi Wa'il, can you add the Reverse hyper extension (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/WtReverseHyperextension.html) to the list of resistance exercises?
Done.

Also, I was wondering if on the resistance log page, if you could add the capability to click the check box and then at the bottom add a button for "add to today"? That would make it easier to add today's workout. Then all we'd have to do is update the weights, sets, etc.
I'll add to my todo-list :)

Wa'il

ARo
Thu, Mar-31-05, 17:24
So is this your full-time gig?

tamarian
Thu, Mar-31-05, 18:40
So is this your full-time gig?
That would be too good to be true :)

Wa'il

dianna9234
Mon, Apr-04-05, 20:32
i changed one of my "snack" options to "daily water intake". It seems to add be doing what I want it to do: adding the daily amount of water i drink. Is this the right place to do that?..

I know we can add food items ourselves, and I understand that at a future date we will be able to access everyones entries (oh my gosh, that is gonna be ALOT of entries, including multiple duplicates!).. but I was wondering if you are working on adding the Low Carb products that are available on market now-a-days?? (whether mayo, or ice cream, meal shakes, candy, or snacks?)

inaddition... thank you.. you have done a wonderful job, and while I have only been doing this about a week.. I am able to come in here and record my menus and exercise with no problem, and I had a very hard time with FitDay, and stopped using it after just 3 days.

thanks again
dianna9234

tamarian
Mon, Apr-04-05, 20:40
i changed one of my "snack" options to "daily water intake". It seems to add be doing what I want it to do: adding the daily amount of water i drink. Is this the right place to do that?..

By snack item, you mean the custom meal titles? I think creating a bulk item entry for water intake might be easier.

I know we can add food items ourselves, and I understand that at a future date we will be able to access everyones entries (oh my gosh, that is gonna be ALOT of entries, including multiple duplicates!).. but I was wondering if you are working on adding the Low Carb products that are available on market now-a-days?? (whether mayo, or ice cream, meal shakes, candy, or snacks?)

Yes, this is my current project, phase two, making tools for sharing recipes and custom items. We should be able to add many low-carb products and restaurant mwnus. This will have a community feel to it, as the entries will be done by volunteers from our forum members, say is each volunteers to enter 10 items or so, and others can review and correct those entries.

Wa'il

dianna9234
Mon, Apr-04-05, 20:50
"creating a bulk item entry for water intake might be easier"

can you explain this to me? I am not understanding the bulk entry..

yes, I changed one of the meal titles (breakfast, lunch, snack, etc.) and just continue to add the amount of water I drink for the day.. in the qty box. I changed from grams to oz.. let me know the correct way to keep track of water... thanks.. wonce again

dianna9234

tamarian
Mon, Apr-04-05, 21:02
"creating a bulk item entry for water intake might be easier"

can you explain this to me? I am not understanding the bulk entry..

Just click on "new bulk entry" from the menu, title it "daily water intake", and add the amount of water you'd like to use. Then on entry page, just select the new item "daily water intake" and add it.

Wa'il

Health1st
Fri, Apr-08-05, 00:47
It would be nice if there was a way to end my use of myPLAN, or to erase all current data at one swipe and start over...this would be nice since, after looking at it more closely, I can better see how to use it and would like to get rid of old data and try again. Maybe you already have this feature, but I couldn't find it...
thanks!!

tamarian
Fri, Apr-08-05, 18:05
It would be nice if there was a way to end my use of myPLAN, or to erase all current data at one swipe and start over...this would be nice since, after looking at it more closely, I can better see how to use it and would like to get rid of old data and try again. Maybe you already have this feature, but I couldn't find it...
thanks!!

You currently can delete all stats in one click, and the same for weight stats, health stats, exercise info, custom foods, recipes and favourites. You can delete all of a day's food entry, but not multiple days at once.

But it does make sense to have an option to delete everything, if that's what the user wants.

Wa'il

ladygolden
Tue, Apr-12-05, 16:05
Is there a way i can find out the nutritional info for an item before i post it into my daily entry? Otherwise how do i delete it?

tamarian
Tue, Apr-12-05, 16:17
Is there a way i can find out the nutritional info for an item before i post it into my daily entry? Otherwise how do i delete it?

Yes. Instead of using the search box in the entry page, use the main search page:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/myplan.php?&do=advsearch

And click on the result the matches the item. Click on it, and it will show all the details.

Wa'il

TRIXSTAR
Wed, Apr-20-05, 21:49
Is there a way to save food AND their chosen amount in our favorites? or do we have to do this in custom entry?
also
Why do eggs whole/scrambled/poached/omelet all have different carb counts? With nothing added? In the atkins book it says eggs .6 carbs only...confused
also

maybe in the future we can have a quick converter added for those of us living in different countries?? or is there one already?

Thanks
Trix

tamarian
Thu, Apr-21-05, 06:38
Is there a way to save food AND their chosen amount in our favorites? or do we have to do this in custom entry?
also
Why do eggs whole/scrambled/poached/omelet all have different carb counts? With nothing added? In the atkins book it says eggs .6 carbs only...confused
also

You might want to check the bulk entry feature. It will allow you to add foods with specific amounts and servings.

As to why there are different entries for eggs, the USDA database makes specific assumptions to the preparation method. So 3 boiled eggs, are not the same as a 3 eggs omlette, or 3 fried eggs, etc.

A unit converter sounds like a good idea.

Wa'il

ARo
Thu, Apr-21-05, 18:01
I posted the same thread in two areas because I wanted a variety of suggestions. One was in TDC and one was in Atkins. I had gotten several posts on both but I think the one on Atkins has been removed. I think this happened once before. Can we not have the same post in two areas or am I mistaken??

tamarian
Thu, Apr-21-05, 19:49
I posted the same thread in two areas because I wanted a variety of suggestions. One was in TDC and one was in Atkins. I had gotten several posts on both but I think the one on Atkins has been removed. I think this happened once before. Can we not have the same post in two areas or am I mistaken??

The problem with posting two identical questions in different forums is that it duplicates the effort of those answering those questions.

Wa'il

ARo
Fri, Apr-22-05, 10:27
I see your point, but I was getting different answers from different people. Also, I see similar questions in different forums all the time. There isn't really much difference. Is deleting efforts of those answering questions any better than duplicating efforts of those answering questions?

tamarian
Fri, Apr-22-05, 10:35
I see your point, but I was getting different answers from different people. Also, I see similar questions in different forums all the time. There isn't really much difference. Is deleting efforts of those answering questions any better than duplicating efforts of those answering questions?

We never delete the answswers. If you think an answer was deleted, let me know which thread and by whom. We simply merge the answers into a single thread.

You can get different answers and opinions in the same thread, no need to ask the same question multiple times in multiple places.

There is a lot of inadvertent repetition of frequent questions, and we don't remove those. But if the same question is asked by the same member at the same time in multiple places, it's considered duplicate. Many members consider it rude and inconsiderate, if they take the time and provide a detailed answer, only to find the answer was already given in duplicate threads.

Wa'il

ARo
Fri, Apr-22-05, 12:14
Oh, OK! I thought one was just completely deleted. Thanks for the info. I never meant to be rude.

TRIXSTAR
Tue, Apr-26-05, 09:27
Hello, I have a couple possible ideas for the PLAN....sorry if they've already been posted, I tried to search but didn't find anything...

1 when adding/selecting your food after each item you select the screen refreshes(?) and you're taken to the top again...I find that I am usually adding in my whole day or half the day at once and it ends up being alot of scrolling....is there any way to not have the screen move up after selecting?

2 Is there any way to add "create new bulk item" into the drop down menu under the food listings? ie your daily food is there and you've just fiddled with all the amounts etc and on the far right where you can select a box/item to "add to favourites" etc. maybe a "create new bulk" link so what we've already done is automatically moved to the bulk item page and we just have to give it a name?

just an idea..

have a great day

tamarian
Tue, Apr-26-05, 09:37
1 when adding/selecting your food after each item you select the screen refreshes(?) and you're taken to the top again...I find that I am usually adding in my whole day or half the day at once and it ends up being alot of scrolling....is there any way to not have the screen move up after selecting?

Yes, this has been suggested a few times, so it will make the list :)

2 Is there any way to add "create new bulk item" into the drop down menu under the food listings? ie your daily food is there and you've just fiddled with all the amounts etc and on the far right where you can select a box/item to "add to favourites" etc. maybe a "create new bulk" link so what we've already done is automatically moved to the bulk item page and we just have to give it a name?

That sounds like a good idea :thup:

Wa'il

Rosebud
Thu, May-05-05, 01:28
G'day Wa'il,

Any chance we'll be able to export our exercise information into our gym logs? No biggie if it's difficult/impossible. :)

Roz

LC-Laur
Mon, May-09-05, 15:19
Any chance of getting a print option for MY P.L.A.N.?? That way if I needed to print out a particular days summary or menu or even a recipe I can do so w/o having to get all the links and ads and all the stuff that turns a 1 page print into 4...

tamarian
Mon, May-09-05, 16:56
Roz and Lauren: Both good suggestions, and they shall be added to the to-do list :)

Wa'il

Kristine
Mon, May-16-05, 17:36
Hi Wa'il. :wave: A note on the Customs entries: it won't accept a number less than one. For foods, it doesn't matter, but when adding a supplement, it makes a bit of a difference. :idea: For example, I tried to enter my 500-mg evening primrose oil caplets, and I had to double the 'serving size' to two caplets so that I could put the grams of fat in as 1 instead of .5.

VERY cool tool. :cool:

tamarian
Mon, May-16-05, 17:58
Hi Wa'il. :wave: A note on the Customs entries: it won't accept a number less than one. For foods, it doesn't matter, but when adding a supplement, it makes a bit of a difference. :idea: For example, I tried to enter my 500-mg evening primrose oil caplets, and I had to double the 'serving size' to two caplets so that I could put the grams of fat in as 1 instead of .5.

VERY cool tool. :cool:

There should be no problems entering .5 or 0.5

What was the errors message? Or how was it rejected?

Wa'il

Kristine
Mon, May-16-05, 18:43
>>>"Please enter the weight in numbers without additional characters."

tamarian
Mon, May-16-05, 18:47
>>>"Please enter the weight in numbers without additional characters."

This error refers to the serving size, not the nutrient values.

Wa'il

Kristine
Tue, May-17-05, 08:55
But for supplements, a serving size is often only 250 mg, 500 mg, ect.

...but that's livable. :thup: You can call the serving size 1 gram when you're saving your custom food, then just use .25, .5, etc as your serving in your daily entry.

tamarian
Tue, May-17-05, 09:05
But for supplements, a serving size is often only 250 mg, 500 mg, ect.

...but that's livable. :thup: You can call the serving size 1 gram when you're saving your custom food, then just use .25, .5, etc as your serving in your daily entry.

I think a custom serving is best. Creat a custom entry, select custom size, and call the new size "tablet", and weightt as 1 gram, or whatever the weight of the tablet is, it doesn't matter, if you enter it in your daily entry as a serving of "tablet". This way 1 tablet can list the same amounts as the label.

Wa'il

kwikdriver
Tue, May-31-05, 21:40
Hi,

I'm really liking this thing, so well done. :thup:

Is there a way to add a search so I can find out how many (and what percentage of total) calories I've eaten came from a specific food over a certain time period? An even bigger one would be to have an option so the nutrition report will show macro data for a certain time period, but also specific food: from 5/01/05 - 5/31/05, 2500 of your calories came from cream cheese; 6000 came from chicken breast, and so on. It would be very useful in identifying trends and potential problem foods.

tamarian
Wed, Jun-01-05, 05:05
Hi,

I'm really liking this thing, so well done. :thup:

Is there a way to add a search so I can find out how many (and what percentage of total) calories I've eaten came from a specific food over a certain time period? An even bigger one would be to have an option so the nutrition report will show macro data for a certain time period, but also specific food: from 5/01/05 - 5/31/05, 2500 of your calories came from cream cheese; 6000 came from chicken breast, and so on. It would be very useful in identifying trends and potential problem foods.

You can search for specific nutrients in a time times period in the nutritional reports sections.

But to search from which foods specific nutrients cames from is not available. But it does sound like a good idea.

Wa'il

Aple
Thu, Jun-09-05, 08:27
sorry if this was covered, but is there a way to add water intake to My PLAN?
thanks!

Kristine
Thu, Jun-09-05, 09:07
Something I think would be handy is a daily or weekly graph of calories eaten vs. burned. That would give some "visual aid" and continuity to our daily exercise stats. It could be in the "Progress and Charts" section, and/or it could appear on the "Daily Summary."

FitdayPC does it by adding your exercise calories burned to your BMR, then just bar graphing it next to your calories eaten. Here's what it looks like:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/files/5/7/0/1/fitdayPC.jpg

That's about the only thing I miss about FitdayPC. :)

tamarian
Thu, Jun-09-05, 09:26
sorry if this was covered, but is there a way to add water intake to My PLAN?
thanks!

Yes, you can add water as a feed item, and it will show up in your daily summary as "Drinking water". Or you can create a bulk item for it, or even as a custom item.

Wa'il

tamarian
Thu, Jun-09-05, 09:26
Something I think would be handy is a daily or weekly graph of calories eaten vs. burned. That would give some "visual aid" and continuity to our daily exercise stats. It could be in the "Progress and Charts" section, and/or it could appear on the "Daily Summary."

Sounds good, will put in the to-do list.

Wa'il

Debbyd
Sat, Aug-13-05, 11:07
This may be dumb, but I was thinking that it would be nice if there were a way such as on the exercise you could click a link and have a printable version of say a months worth of exercise. Perhaps to show to your dr. It would be good for diet as well. Thanks for listening. Debby

tamarian
Sat, Aug-13-05, 20:28
This may be dumb, but I was thinking that it would be nice if there were a way such as on the exercise you could click a link and have a printable version of say a months worth of exercise. Perhaps to show to your dr. It would be good for diet as well. Thanks for listening. Debby

Not dumb at all, this should be quite useful.

Just in case anyone is wondering why none of the latest suggestions have been implemented, it's because MyPLAN is being integrated with the new upcoming version of vBulletin 3.5. But a lot of the suggestions will materialize. :)

Wa'il

DietSka
Sat, Sep-03-05, 02:50
Wa'il,

Here are a couple of very minor issues that would be nice to have: the ability to input one's weight in kilograms (on the Weight Stats page) and measurements in centimeters. My P.L.A.N. is already so much better than Fitday (I can use GRAMS and not cups or oz, YAY!) that I feel lousy asking... and perhaps the wide majority of your user base works with inches and pounds rather than cm and kg. Meanwhile Google is my conversion friend. :lol:

Also, on the measurements page, the "Recorded Body fat" input field doesn't record decimals (e.g. 23.2), it rounds the number to 23. The "Recorded BF" graph has decimals on the BF axis which means it could work with decimals from that input field.

tamarian
Sat, Sep-03-05, 06:56
Wa'il,

Here are a couple of very minor issues that would be nice to have: the ability to input one's weight in kilograms (on the Weight Stats page) and measurements in centimeters. My P.L.A.N. is already so much better than Fitday (I can use GRAMS and not cups or oz, YAY!) that I feel lousy asking... and perhaps the wide majority of your user base works with inches and pounds rather than cm and kg. Meanwhile Google is my conversion friend. :lol:

Also, on the measurements page, the "Recorded Body fat" input field doesn't record decimals (e.g. 23.2), it rounds the number to 23. The "Recorded BF" graph has decimals on the BF axis which means it could work with decimals from that input field.

Good points, and both added to the list.

Wa'il

cnmLisa
Thu, Sep-15-05, 14:51
To add to the hundreds of suggestions that have already been posted;)

The addition of specialty foods that are unique to low carb cooking such as
almond flour, bulk Splenda (and stuff like that)

I started using MY PLAN about a month ago and love it. I'm a huge cook and love to make-up recipes. I love the custom recipe section!! Keep up the good work!!!!

Lisa

tamarian
Thu, Sep-15-05, 15:33
The addition of specialty foods that are unique to low carb cooking such as almond flour, bulk Splenda (and stuff like that)

This is currently possible through custom food items, where you can create any new food items to your food list, and can use in the daily entry and recipes etc.

But we will eventually start making some custom items created by users "sharable", so they can be used by other members. Which means less entry, if someone already added it, without mistakes, it will be available to all members.

Note that this will require some volunteers :) Once the change in inteface is made, we will start inviting members who are familiar with food labels and units to browse through custom entries, and mark any good entries to make public for others to use.

Wa'il

cnmLisa
Fri, Sep-16-05, 11:55
I'll be first to sign up on the list. Keep me posted.

Thanks,
Lisa

4beans4me
Mon, Sep-19-05, 06:55
Wondering it would be possible to make a way to click multiple items in your favorites and then submit to one meal, instead of having to click on one, submit, click on another, submit, etc.

tamarian
Mon, Sep-19-05, 07:19
Wondering it would be possible to make a way to click multiple items in your favorites and then submit to one meal, instead of having to click on one, submit, click on another, submit, etc.

This is already possible. Frokm the food list, you can tick multiple items than add. Also in the entry page, just hold the Ctrl button and click on multiple items.

Wa'il

4beans4me
Tue, Sep-20-05, 07:58
Great! Thanks Wa'il :thup:

BruceInAla
Thu, Oct-06-05, 06:12
1) I am pleased to see the "aphabetical" sort option added to the general food search, but can it be made the default option, rather than the effective carb counts? I never choose a food based on it's ECC first.......I need to find it before I'll decide that.

The effective carb counts don't seem to match up with the net effective carbs shown on the labels of Atkins or Pria brand products that I have entered as custom foods. The issue seems to be the sugar alcohols. PLAN is counting them as carbs and only deducting fiber. SHould this be changed?

tamarian
Thu, Oct-06-05, 06:36
The effective carb counts don't seem to match up with the net effective carbs shown on the labels of Atkins or Pria brand products that I have entered as custom foods. The issue seems to be the sugar alcohols. PLAN is counting them as carbs and only deducting fiber. SHould this be changed?

Manufacturer claims are not always accurate, and the subtraction of anything other than fiber will contradict actual data from the USDA database.

When you enter a custom food item, it will allow you to enter a custom carb count in the "additional data" fields.

Wa'il

moses
Fri, Oct-14-05, 17:26
Make notes for each day able to be entered withouta title since you cant post multple notes per day

Also the interface is cumbersome

Perhaps a textbox instead of going thru the whole forum-style type of entry

Also, have you considered having the daily summary / entry a page that allows entering of all data? The less clicks, the less time, the more user friendly.

I like the PLAN system. I don't like the interface.. my 2 cents

tamarian
Fri, Oct-14-05, 17:46
I like the PLAN system. I don't like the interface.. my 2 cents

I think you have a point regarding the interface, but I can't do much without detailed specifics :)

Wa'il

slawrie
Wed, Oct-19-05, 14:49
Hi. I entered my weight a few days ago and I see a chart there, but when I entered my weight again today (one pound less) it doesn't seem to register anything. How do I find out how to use My Plan ???? Thx. Suzanne

4beans4me
Wed, Oct-19-05, 17:19
Suzanne, if you hit refresh, it should change your chart. :)

slawrie
Wed, Oct-19-05, 19:37
Thank you. I'll try that. Suzanne

talah
Fri, Jan-13-06, 17:57
Hi, I am new and I am using the daily entries for food. Can you add an option to "Add to All Meals" in the dropdown menu? For example, I would like to be able to add "water" to breakfast, lunch and dinner at the same time instead of doing it for each meal separately. Great Tool!

Thanks,
Talah

cnmLisa
Mon, Jan-16-06, 12:14
I was having (still am) some issue regarding real specialty items such as Poly-D--with the calories/carb/fiber--not analyzing out. Perhaps to add an overide button to accept the food as entered when the screen comes up that the nutritional count is skewed. That way--the user know the nutritonal count is skewed/wrong and doesn't add up but the user chooses to use the nutritional count as entered.
Lisa

RickinTN
Wed, Jan-25-06, 10:58
It would be good when posting to the journal if it would show the PECC or the net carbs.

treefrog
Wed, Jan-25-06, 13:42
It would be good when posting to the journal if it would show the PECC or the net carbs.
I think it depends on how you have your settings. My settings are to show PECC. When I export to my journal, it lists PECC (or net carbs) as Fiber. After it comes up in my journal, I go in and edit all the fiber to say net carbs.

I have seen other people's where the fiber is fiber and not net carbs (PECC).

It would be nice though, if your setting are to display PECC, that when you export it would be labeled as PECC.

HTH.

zuzzan
Mon, Feb-27-06, 05:48
I would be cool in one were able to add custom food to the list. Like, if you buy a storebought lowcarb bread you could enter the values. Also it would be neat if you could enter in grams (i am from DK) that is not per default 100. Perhaps in a scale like 10-20-30 and so forth up to 100. I know ounces have been suggested but grams would be cool for us using that value. Also being able to put your weight in in kilos istead of the value used.
Thats about it.

Hugz
Zuzzan

tamarian
Mon, Feb-27-06, 07:55
You can enter custom foods, and you can enter the data in grams other than 100. Check the custom foods page.

Wa'il

zuzzan
Mon, Feb-27-06, 08:27
You can enter custom foods, and you can enter the data in grams other than 100. Check the custom foods page.

Wa'il

Yay.. found it. Sorry, i actually didnt see it when i was looking for it. The program is totally new to me but so far.. TOP NICE and keep up the good work. I would still like to be able to use kilos when submitting my weight. Is that possible too and i have just missed it?

Hugz
Zuzzan

tamarian
Mon, Feb-27-06, 08:53
I would still like to be able to use kilos when submitting my weight. Is that possible too and i have just missed it?

Not yet :)

Wa'il

vavcon
Wed, Mar-08-06, 11:38
How do you get your exercise summary to show up?

Beck01
Sun, Mar-12-06, 18:03
I do Ashtanga (Power) Yoga 6 days a week for about an hour a day and there's nothing of the sort listed in the options for excersize. If I had any clue how much it 'burned' I'd add it my self.

Can it be added to the drop down or can someone tell me how I can learn how much it burns?

Thanks!