PDA

View Full Version : Flax Wraps

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kiwigal
Wed, Jan-12-05, 23:21
This is a great recipe..easy, cheap, low carb and very versatile!!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=296999&highlight=flax+onion+garlic+bread

maryc
Sat, Jan-15-05, 08:41
That looks real good!
I put it in my recipe file.

Thanks!!

Demi
Sun, Feb-27-05, 07:39
I made these yesterday - fabulous! - thanks for posting :)

bnicook
Sun, Feb-27-05, 12:36
WOW! Thanks for posting this! I've been looking for something I can nuke in the microwave. My ovens on the fritz.

isantoso
Wed, Mar-02-05, 14:37
Has anyone try this to make a tortillas? I'm out of town, so I can't try it. I was thinking to make the mix looks like pancake and put just enough to cover the pie plate with tortilla thickness. I'll try this on the weekend and report back.

patricia1
Mon, Feb-27-06, 11:48
Do you know how many carbs per serving?

Stardust
Mon, Feb-27-06, 12:13
I have a dumb question. My only experience with flaxseed has been after I moved here and the groundflax seed is not evenly ground. Do I need to grind more, so it's finer?

cajuda
Mon, Feb-27-06, 16:13
This is what was posted on the other site:

221 calories
20 g. fat
5 g. protein
9 carbs
7 fiber
(2 net carbs)

I'm going to try this real real soon! Thanks for telling us about it.

Stardust
Tue, Feb-28-06, 02:19
I used my flaxseeds as they were and the flatbread turned out just fine and yummy.

arc
Tue, Feb-28-06, 08:52
Okay, I tried this last night and, well, it made pretty decent crackers. It's supposed to be flexible, right? :help:

ProfGumby
Tue, Feb-28-06, 10:37
I have a dumb question. My only experience with flaxseed has been after I moved here and the groundflax seed is not evenly ground. Do I need to grind more, so it's finer?

The Bob's Red Mill ground flaxseed is much finer than the Hodgson Mill stuff I had been buying.....

Also, has anyone made this by baking it? (No microwave here) and if so how long and what temp?

Stardust
Tue, Feb-28-06, 11:09
The Bob's Red Mill ground flaxseed is much finer than the Hodgson Mill stuff I had been buying.....

Thanks! I can't get those here unless my mom ships them and she has trouble getting things right. lol I would probably end up with pysllium. :lol:

WyoDiva
Tue, Feb-28-06, 21:51
ProfGumby...try pouring the mix in a flat pan (sprayed with pan spray) and cooking it on your stove top. That's how the companies make 'real' flatbread and tortillas....I'm going to give it a try both ways and will report back eventually. :)

cajuda
Wed, Mar-01-06, 06:59
Also, has anyone made this by baking it? (No microwave here) and if so how long and what temp?

No microwave??!!??!! Can't imagine being without one. On the other thread someone put theirs in the oven along with their other foods they were cooking and it came out fine. I would guess like 350 for at least 5 min, check it and cook it in 1 min. increments til it's done the way you like it. No microwave??!! Sorry, just can't get over that. :lol:

(If yours turn out like crackers in the micro, then you've cooked it too long. Zap in 15-30 sec. intervals. Like the rest of us, you'll have to experiment with your micro since they're all diff.)

ProfGumby
Wed, Mar-01-06, 10:15
No microwave??!!??!! Can't imagine being without one. On the other thread someone put theirs in the oven along with their other foods they were cooking and it came out fine. I would guess like 350 for at least 5 min, check it and cook it in 1 min. increments til it's done the way you like it. No microwave??!! Sorry, just can't get over that. :lol:

(If yours turn out like crackers in the micro, then you've cooked it too long. Zap in 15-30 sec. intervals. Like the rest of us, you'll have to experiment with your micro since they're all diff.)

Yup, no microwave...hey we live in the U.P., we just got indoor plumbing last week!
:D :help: :D

I have been hemming and hawing about getting a microwave again, but when we last had one, we only used the thing to pop popcorn anyway...so I have made do, nicely, so far.

Also I cannot get the idea out of my head about the microwave altering the food on a molecular level. I read that in the book, "Natural Cures They Dont Want You To Know About" and the lady who owns the local Health Food Store said similar.....

I know maybe I'm being a wee bit loopy, but as I said, I have done alright so far.

deb34
Thu, Mar-09-06, 15:47
I'm going to roll this wrap up tight and chiffonade it and use as "noodles" with my chicken alfredo sauce.. :)

cajuda
Thu, Mar-09-06, 17:35
I'm going to roll this wrap up tight and chiffonade it and use as "noodles" with my chicken alfredo sauce.. :)

Hey....now THERE's an idea. I've got leftover Alfredo sauce and chix. I'll give you 3 guesses on what I'm having for supper tmr. night. :D

ProfGumby
Thu, Mar-09-06, 19:22
Hey....now THERE's an idea. I've got leftover Alfredo sauce and chix. I'll give you 3 guesses on what I'm having for supper tmr. night. :D

Of course you realize, we need a follow up report on this...... :D

cajuda
Fri, Mar-10-06, 14:53
Of course you realize, we need a follow up report on this...... :D

(whining) Do I HAVE to??

Okay. If the truth be told...I'll stick with my spaghetti squash noodles. These are better suited to wrapping around egg salad or a nice grilled bratwurst. (I'll give you 3 guesses again to guess what I'm having for supper. :lol: )

I made these for lunch & I could not roll them up at all to cut into noodles--a little too bready for that.

FYI, Prof(NoMicro)Gumby.....Just for you, I did bake these to let you know how they came out. I made 4, poured them on 2 cookie sheets lined with parchment, spread them out a little, baked at 375 for 5 minutes, moved the cookie sheets from top to bottom and bottom to top and baked another 5 until they were a light brown. As I said above, they came out breadlike but if you're looking to get more fiber in, these are pretty good. But, find something else to put your Alfredo sauce on. Just my .02.