PDA

View Full Version : Fructose, SomerSweet ...so what's the deal with those?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Muse
Sat, Oct-06-01, 13:19
I probably know better than to ask, but alas I will. Fructose is it as bad as sugar? I know from reading Montignac diet all his recipes are made with fructose as it's glycemic index is approximate 20 (veggies are 15). Also, suzanne somers is coming out with a sweetener called somersweet which is basically fructose and a few other natural things.

So, what's the deal with it? On occasion can it be an acceptable substitute as it does not raise insulin levels as much? I know you it is about twice as sweet as sugar so one may use 1/2 the amount in a given recipe.

Has anyone had experience here?

Muse :confused:

doreen T
Sat, Oct-06-01, 15:42
When we hear the word fructose, we think "fruit sugar". Sounds healthy enough. After all, fructose is the main sugar found in fruits, vegetables and honey, right?? True. But the fructose that gets added to food, even so-called "natural" food, and the white crystalline powder that is sold in bulk food and natural foods stores in definitely not natural, and does not come from fruit. It is a highly refined monosaccharide sugar, made from corn syrup or corn starch. More recently, they've discovered a way to treat white table sugar (sucrose) chemically, so that it converts part of its glucose content to fructose. This type of sugar is very cheap to produce, that's why the food industry loves it, and because it is sweeter, they can use less of it. But it is everywhere, soft drinks, "natural" juices and fruit drinks, baby food, desserts, candies .. you name it.

Fructose is readily absorbed into the cells to be used as fuel .. without requiring insulin to do so. Thus, there is no significant rise in blood sugar (the fructose is so rapidly absorbed, it doesn't stay in the blood long enough) nor insulin levels. However, your body will use the fructose for fuel first, therefore your fat-burning will be put on hold. It can and will halt ketosis.

But that's the good news... :p .. The bad news is -- the fact that fructose doesn't require insulin to enter the cell actually increases the likelihood of developing insulin resistance. Many researchers are blaming the alarming increase of type 2 diabetes in KIDS to the fact that fructose, in the form of high-fructose corn syrup, is THE most commonly added sweetener in processed foods, especially the "healthy" fruit drinks.

As well, fructose is now known to increase blood lipids, in particular triglycerides. And it has been linked for years to increased risk of heart disease .... Glucose sugar binds with proteins in the body, and in the process it damages the DNA of the protein. Research has shown the link of this sugar-damage to the plaque buildup and hardening of artery walls. Fructose can bind to proteins 10 to 15 times more readily than glucose.

In Protein Power Lifeplan, the Eades discuss the dangers of fructose pp 159 - 162. As well, you might want to read this eye-opening article, written by Jack Challan, the Nutrition Reporter. I guarantee you will think twice before allowing your family to consume anything with fructose in it. ... http://www.nutritionreporter.com/fructose_dangers.html

Read and Learn. :read:

Doreen