PDA

View Full Version : High mileage running and low carb

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

littlejohn
Fri, Jan-07-05, 09:54
In several places I have seen suggestions that low carb will not work with high mileage running. (the website CoolRunning is one example) The idea is that when you become very active the low carb lifestyle does not give you enough energy.

I recently started running as a step up from walking. I just run a few miles a week and lift 2 times a week for 30-45 minutes each session. Is this idea that you need more carbs as you run more true. And if this is true what kind of mileage or effort brings about this problem?

loCarbJ
Fri, Jan-07-05, 13:45
Low Carbing is what GAVE me the energy to be active!

I mountain bike 7 hours a week (7000 ft), lift weights twice a week (3hrs), trail run 25miles a week (4000 ft), and do 3 hours of kick boxing a week. All while low carbing.

Taking in carbs, in my opinion, is a short cut. I'll take my time and build my mileage bases up more slowly, but I am a lot less dependent on carbs that way.

J.

littlejohn
Fri, Jan-07-05, 13:58
So you are doing all of that without increasing your carbs? You are doing great by the way.

If I work up to running 30-40 miles per week and compete a little I will not have any problems?

Where do you mountain bike at 7000 ft? Colorado? - never mind I see now that you live in CA.

loCarbJ
Tue, Jan-11-05, 11:07
Yes, if you take it slowly and build your mileage base slowly, you shouldn't need to neccessarily "carb-up". Increase your weekly mileage by 5-10% and give yourself a "break" week every third week (where you drop it by 5-10%). Make sure that you have plenty of time until your big runs to train.

Jeff