PDA

View Full Version : Lisa's Quest

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Pages : [1] 2

lisaf
Fri, Oct-05-01, 14:21
Quest for what you ask?

- smaller bootie :)
- smaller thighs
- more than one "ab"
- strength
- well-shaped arms

...and a few things that exercise won't fix...but make plastic surgery look pretty tempting!

After years of trying to rationalize couch potato-ing, two pregnancies, yo-yo dieting I'm finally sticking to an exercise program.

Normally, I'm up at 5:15 and hit the road by 5:20 to run (hi Nat - I can just see you on your NordicTrak as I jog by!!!)

If I don't get out to run, I'll go to the gym at work and do a 1/2 hour on the Stairclimber. I prefer run days because I can get into work earlier (more productive) or opt to go to the gym and do some weight training (Mon - lower, Tues - upper - repeat Thurs, Fri). I'm off weight training at the moment, however, since I was getting overtired.

Today, unfortunately, I sliced open a 1 inch gash on the top of my foot last night on a bed rail so I'm going to be sidelined for a few days. Ouch :eek:

fiona
Sun, Oct-07-01, 04:59
Hi Lisa

It is only human to go after goals we can achieve with a little effort and one or two that will stretch us to the limits of belief {a few things that exercise won't fix} LOL

{I'm up at 5:15 and hit the road by 5:20 to run } That was one of my major stretches ... one I have not kept up for more than a couple of days so far!! Well done. That really is great. I should know!!

{I sliced open a 1 inch gash on the top of my foot last night on a bed rail } Ouch Ouch Ouch :bhug: I'd get rid of that rail ... it's too naughty :devil:

Take care.

Natrushka
Sun, Oct-07-01, 06:31
Lisa, do you manage this early regiment during the winter months as well? Have you found it easier since you've been LCing? I've noticed getting up that early has become a lot easier of late... just wondering if it was something particular to me, or to this WOL.

Hope that foot feels better... taking a few days off can be tough on the old psyche, but the body seems to appreciate it. It's taking everythng I have to not go down and work out today ;) But I do think I need a day off.... or so I am being told (Over and over again lol)

Nat

lisaf
Tue, Oct-09-01, 11:55
Thanks for the comments you guys! My foot is much better but I'm going to have a nasty scar! I ran yesterday mid-morning (bad run...lots of walking!) and again this morning (great run...no walking...a new personal best!).

To answer your question Nat - I don't know if I'll be able to continue running through the winter. I just went out and bought some winter running stuff but I don't think I'll be able to run when its really cold and you add that fierce wind-chill. I was nervous this morning (for those not in Ottawa it was 0oC and frost!) but it was fine. I think I have a strict -10 to -15 rule otherwise I'll be miserable. Ice and slush may also be a problem. There's always the trusty stair-climber!

I don't find the mornings that easy but my hubby is up at that time anyway so he just turns on the light when he leaves the room.

Natrushka
Tue, Oct-09-01, 12:59
Originally posted by lisaf
To answer your question Nat - I don't know if I'll be able to continue running through the winter. I just went out and bought some winter running stuff but I don't think I'll be able to run when its really cold and you add that fierce wind-chill. I was nervous this morning (for those not in Ottawa it was 0oC and frost!) but it was fine. I think I have a strict -10 to -15 rule otherwise I'll be miserable. Ice and slush may also be a problem. There's always the trusty stair-climber!

I remember jogging in snow storms and having a ball. I started back in '88 in WinterPeg ;) it was -40 some nights with the wind.. didnt bother me. Running was the only time I was not cold during wintertime. I wish my knees would let me.... I'd be out there with you. Slush isnt fun, but ice isn't anywhere near as much of a problem as it is walking... less contact for shorter period of time with your foot, i guess?

In any event.. I think you might surprize yourself with the winter jogging.. it can be very serene and peaceful. Just you and the falling snowflakes. :)

Nat

lisaf
Tue, Oct-09-01, 13:53
Its inspiration to be able to put a face to a person whose actually done it (run in the winter). Thanks! I tend to think that you need to be a die-hard marathoner, but you're right...I might surprise myself. I actually really enjoy running in the dark, to the point where when I ran mid-morning yesterday, it wasn't as enjoyable! Its those crisp clear mornings with Orion's Belt right over me that I really like.

By the way Nat - how many Ottawa people are there? Should we try to meet for dinner somewhere, someday, sometime?

Lisa

Natrushka
Tue, Oct-09-01, 17:55
By the way Nat - how many Ottawa people are there? Should we try to meet for dinner somewhere, someday, sometime?

My count is around 6 or 7 (including those not quite in Ottawa).. and I think some kind of get together would be grand. We must conspire!

Nat

lisaf
Wed, Oct-10-01, 07:40
Excellent! Maybe somewhere around the beginning of December - not so close to Christmas...

No run this morning, but I plan to hit the gym this afternoon!

Lisa

lisaf
Wed, Oct-10-01, 14:17
So - 30 min on Stairclimber at level 4 - program 2 - short plateaus). Felt pretty good - I've never lasted that long at Level 4 so the running is improving my endurance.

Next its off home for "Egg Nite," kids to bed, coffee with friends then my wonderful, warm bed!

Lisa

lisaf
Fri, Oct-12-01, 06:24
Took the day off yesterday.

5:20 a.m. - 1/2 hour run/walk - mostly run. Did a short route. I'm going to try my first "long" run tomorrow and see how much of the measured 5K I can do running. Now THAT should be a humbling experience!

Lisa

lisaf
Mon, Oct-15-01, 06:41
Okay, I lied! I took the weekend off...I should never promise myself I'm going to workout on the weekend!

5:20 - ran 4k on empty stomach - ran/jogged/walked intervals for the last 2k.

Lisa

lisaf
Tue, Oct-16-01, 11:41
5:20 - ran 2.5k - did intervals on the way back.

Here's hoping it doesn't rain tomorrow!

lisaf
Wed, Oct-17-01, 14:03
Well guess what? It rained! I'm a big wimp - I can run in snow, I can run in sun...but don't make me run in very cold shivery rain.

So...

I went to the gym at 7:30 am and did 30 min on Level 3 (strength training/intervals between low and med/high intensity) on the stair climber. Empty stomach.

I find it funny how after a run I'm shaky and need to eat very soon vs. stairclimbing where my legs feel a bit tired but I'm not completely wiped out. Anyone know what this means? Am I working harder running? Is the shakiness calorie burn? Depletion of glycogen stores? Let me know if you have any thoughts on it... :confused:

Tomorrow my plan is to run again in the morning - it should be below freezing which means I can try out some of my nifty new running gear!

Lisa

lisaf
Sun, Oct-21-01, 12:46
Hello all -

Friday - ran 3k on an empty stomach - intervals on the way home

Today - 4k run/walk - felt very challenging today. Very shaky later in the day! I did eat after the workout but ended up in bed for an hour. Protein shake helped balance out my blood sugar a little later.

Lisa

lisaf
Mon, Oct-22-01, 05:52
5:20 a.m. - 2.5 kilometres on an empty stomach. Only dropped to a walk twice - once to pack up my jacket into the waist pack and then again for a quick rest before the last sprint.

Weigh in on Wednesday - its only been two weeks so I'm not expecting much of a change. 162 would be nice!

Have a great day!

Lisa

lisaf
Wed, Oct-24-01, 06:49
Ran 2k at 5:20 a.m. on empty stomach.

Weighed in at 164 - could be TOM or I'm hitting a stall. I'm well overdue for one but I will give it two more weeks and if there is no weight change I will consider some "tweaking" of the diet. If all else fails then back to weight training.

Lisa

lisaf
Thu, Oct-25-01, 07:40
I can't believe I woke up at 4:45 and ran that early. Good thing too...it started to rain just as I got home, at the time I would have normally gone out!

Anywho...

Ran 2.5 km on an empty stomach and completed two hill repeats at the end.

Lisa

Natrushka
Thu, Oct-25-01, 08:24
I find it funny how after a run I'm shaky and need to eat very soon vs. stairclimbing where my legs feel a bit tired but I'm not completely wiped out. Anyone know what this means? Am I working harder running? Is the shakiness calorie burn? Depletion of glycogen stores? Let me know if you have any thoughts on it... :confused:

I have thoughts, but I'm not sure they'll make anything clearer ;)

I used to be the same way when I ran... nothing got my heart beating faster, nothing had me feeling more worked out, and NOTHING made me feel that endorphin high like running. I think it may have something to do with the intensity; going bast aerobic into anaerobic. When you use the stairmaster do you use your arms? There's just something about the rhythm of running that always made the workout much more intense for me.

Told you it wouldnt clear anything up :)

Nat

lisaf
Fri, Oct-26-01, 07:08
Nope - not a lot...but thanks! :D

I agree with you about the intensity of running as an experience though. Nothing seems like as much work. I remember getting on an elliptical trainer when I was in Edmonton in August at the hotel's gym and thinking "that's it?" I guess I got a bit spoiled?

Speaking of running ... ran 2k at 5:30 a.m. - it was very cold!

Lisa

lisaf
Sat, Oct-27-01, 18:18
Whew! I love rest day!!! Unlike Nat, I truly have to drag my bum out the door every morning. I usually spend about 2 minutes in serious "devil on one shoulder, angel on the other" debate over whether or not I'm leaving my warm bed for 30 minutes of hell...but somehow I've managed to do it for the last 2 months and can't think of any "rational" reason to stop.

I thought maybe I'd share some of the convincing 5:15 a.m. arguments I've made that have actually gotten me up and out:
- I imagine fat cells being sucked dry faster when I work out
- I didn't work out yesterday. If I let myself call that a rest day, then today isn't one. Get UP!!!
- I imagine the old couch potato me...
- I remember that I actually like the run once I do it. I like it even better when its over and I don't have to do it anymore today.
- I think about the money I've spent on great workout clothes...if I don't run then I don't have an excuse to wear them.
- I think up an alternate running route to my usual routine...sometimes that gets me just interested enough to get up and try it out.
- The fact that my husband will roll his eyes and say something like "So, does this mean you've decided to quit?" - isn't he helpful?

Tomorrow, I'm due for a 30 min run. This is my last Sunday run before embarking on my 8 week plan that will bring up to running for a full hour on the Sunday runs by Christmas. That's my goal for the rest of the year.

All the best...hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Lisa

numberonewendy
Sun, Oct-28-01, 06:45
I thought maybe I'd share some of the convincing 5:15 a.m. arguments I've made that have actually gotten me up and out:

Good points. I must keep these in mind..LOL

I am just starting out myself in going to the gym. Only been a couple of times, yet loving it and will probably make it a habit of at least 3x a week. More if I can find the time!

I found myself going through this thread this morning as I'm curious about others and their exercise habits.

Keep up the good work :thup:

Wendy

Natrushka
Sun, Oct-28-01, 10:06
Lisa, couldnt reply to your PM as your box was full :) So here's the info:

Flaxseed porridge recipe: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6638&highlight=flaxseed (It was in LC kitchen, i think it's past the first page now, I just do a search for flaxseed :))

I think first week in december sounds great for an Ottawa get together. We can start a thread with a poll maybe? If you'd like to go ahead and post jump right in, or i can do it this evening or tomorrow once I'm back to my old schedule. Kinda on the run this weekend ;)

Nat

lisaf
Sun, Oct-28-01, 18:40
Hi Wendy - I find other people's exercise inspiring too. It's not really as hellish...at least not most days ;)

Nat - I'm off to empty my inbox... I did search for flaxseed but I was probably too impatient...thanks for finding it for me. I'll create the poll! I haven't done one so that should be fun...

11:00 - ran for 30 minutes with my new watch. This means I actually was running for 30 minutes because I paused my timer whenever I took a walk break. I'm not sure why these Sunday runs are so difficult. One possibility is that it is because I run later, though still on an empty stomach so there's less available glycogen. On the other hand, I've gotten so used to running in the dark that maybe its the daylight that's messing me up.

Lisa

lisaf
Mon, Oct-29-01, 07:29
5:20 - ran 16 minutes, cool down for five.

Did my short run today...I didn't realize how short before...according to my watch, its really a 16 min run, and not 20 like I thought.

I think my stall may be breaking. I've been quite strict with myself. No more little bits of fruit with my ricotta, hold off on the mock danishes, avoiding splenda like the plague. We'll see if its paid off by Christmas.

Lisa

lisaf
Tue, Oct-30-01, 07:29
5:20 a.m. - empty stomach Ran 27 minutes (including 3 speed sessions and one final sprint) - just over 3 kms. 3 minute cool down. Great run. Not too chilly (even at -1C).

Lisa

thin2be
Tue, Oct-30-01, 15:36
Hi Lisa,
Had to check out your journal, since you were nice enough to check out mine!
Way to go with the determination! Especially so early in the a.m.!
I tried to do my workouts in the morning, but was lured by my warm bed instead...
I am soooooo glad someone else is less than fond of the stairmaster. I hate it! I can only manage 5 minutes on that and the eliptical trainer so far. Maybe I just do them wrong. It's fine by me though...I'll stick with the treadmill and the bike for indoor activities, and Florida weather permitting - rollerblading.
Keep up the great work!
~Lisa

lisaf
Tue, Oct-30-01, 20:12
Must confess that I don't hate the stairclimber - I just prefer to run. For some reason my left foot always goes numb on the stairclimber?!? Treadmill is okay but I do use the stairclimber as my gym alternative to running.

No run tomorrow - got a job interview (wish me luck!!!)...

Lisa

lisaf
Thu, Nov-01-01, 06:50
4:55 a.m. (I know - nutty!) 32 min run on empty stomach - @ 4 kms in fog! Kind of eerie...and it always surprises me how many people are out at that time of day...

Lisa

Natrushka
Thu, Nov-01-01, 07:56
*LOL* glad to see I'm not the only dedicated fool getting up at 4:30 towork out on a day I said I wouldnt be :)

Good luck with the interview.

Nat

P.S. my foot goes numb on the stairmaster too.

lisaf
Thu, Nov-01-01, 19:31
I can't say exactly why I was up at 4:30...went to bed a bit early so that may have been a factor. Normally I drag myself out when the alarm goes of at 5:15, somehow dress myself with my eyes closed. Its a wonder I haven't injured myself yet.

I can only hope I'm so alert tomorrow!

My interview was okay - though I hate how the federal government conducts job competitions in this country - there is no subjectivity at all - the interview is entirely scored based on right/wrong answers so someone who doesn't fit the organization but has all the right answers may very well get the position. Not to mention it can take over 6 months just to hire someone. Venting off.

Glad to hear I'm not alone with the foot thing...people think I'm strange when I mention it.

L.

Natrushka
Thu, Nov-01-01, 20:02
hate how the federal government conducts job competitions in this country - there is no subjectivity at all - the interview is entirely scored based on right/wrong answers so someone who doesn't fit the organization but has all the right answers may very well get the position. Not to mention it can take over 6 months just to hire someone. Venting off.

Got one better for you, Lisa. It can take them up to 10 months to pay you your substantive salary once they have hired you. u-n-r-e-al-l :rolleyes:

Nat

lisaf
Fri, Nov-02-01, 07:25
Nice to see I'm not alone!!

Didn't work out this a.m. - I somehow convinced myself in my sleepy haze that I HAD worked out on Wednesday (hadn't) and that it would okay to make today a rest day. Amazing how I can delude myself at 5 a.m.! Well, fortunately, I'll be able to run tomorrow a.m. to compensate.

Lisa

lisaf
Sat, Nov-03-01, 19:24
If I can't just yell and scream??? I HAD THE MOST AWESOME WORKOUT TODAY!!!!

Yelling over.

Okay - I ran at 5:20 this morning did over 32 minutes (not sure how long over since I forgot to restart my timer at one point) with two hill repeats at the end. I added a loop to kill time towards the end ... when I drove it later today it was 5 kms! When I started running in August I didn't figure I'd be able to run that far until spring...okay, so maybe I was being a bit of an underachiever in that regard, but it felt "safe" Today is the first day I've ever managed to comfortably go over 3 km.

Well...now I have something else to live up to!

Gave a great weekend!

Lisa :roll:

numberonewendy
Sat, Nov-03-01, 20:26
My God, I'm amazed, I only do 15 mins on the treadmill and that's enough for me. You go girl....what a shock that would be for me too.

Your doing wonderful!

GO AHEAD....YELL....LOL

grrlpwer
Sat, Nov-03-01, 20:27
Lisa you are turely awesome girl :)
how long have you been on this WOL and LC?
right now i walk 2 miles a day and i just pray one day i am able to run it :D

lisaf
Sun, Nov-04-01, 13:43
Thanks guys - I admit I'm still totally psyched about ... though my run today took me down a peg as you will see below.

grrlpwer - I've been LC'ing since early June (11th I think) and working out since June 25th. Its my third attempt to lose the weight but the first time I've done exercise to see if it keeps me honest. So far, its been great! Not to mention all the great support here. Keep up the walking! Its much easier on the body than running and a very effective way to gain endurance. I would walk but I tend to get lazy and slow down...can't do that when running...can only go so slow!

7:07 am - ran/walked 25 minutes - about 3 kms. Very tired...probably still tapped out after yesterday. Planning a short run for tomorrow then rest day on Tuesday.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend...I'm at work :mad: and this is my little break for myself.

Lisa

lisaf
Tue, Nov-06-01, 08:20
5:20 am - Ran 2 kms (21 min with 3 minute cool down) - empty stomach.

Lisa

lisaf
Wed, Nov-07-01, 09:49
5:15 - 29 minute run with 3 minute cool down. Approx. 3 kms.

Tired this week - not sure if its weather, work, metabolism, or what! I'd love to know why I'll have great run one day, and the next I feel like I'm dragging my heels. Doesn't make me feel particularly fit though!

L.

Natrushka
Wed, Nov-07-01, 10:02
Maybe you need a few days off, Lisa? I've noticed that when I'm sidelined for a few days (travelling, sick etc) getting back at it is a sheer joy. If you cant do 'nothing' for a few days, try something else, a long walk, some aerobic housecleaning, how about some power shopping for christmas ;)

Nat

lisaf
Wed, Nov-07-01, 10:08
Hmmm...food for thought - I do enforce a strict two days off per week rule. And I find that the first day back after a rest day is often quite hellish...this object at rest likes to remain at rest I guess!

Here is my vision of aerobic housecleaning...me, dressed in bicycle shorts, top and bandana (a la I love Lucy) - bopping around to some of the really bad 80's music (Pointer Sisters seems to come to mind)...vacuum in hand.

Not that I houseclean!

I've considered cutting back on exercise, but the thought makes me panicky. What if I start gaining weight...what if cutting back becomes quitting and then I start sliding on the WOE too? Nonsensical I know, but these are definitely on my mind.

Natrushka
Wed, Nov-07-01, 10:11
Just curious, have you read PP? I know you stopped working out with weights in an effort to increase your running; maybe going the other way for a while would be a good compromise? The Eades recommend the weight training to increase metabolism and high intensity micro bursts of aerobic training to lose weight and increase lean muscle mass. (That weight lifting page you posted in Exercise mentioned it too).

N

lisaf
Wed, Nov-07-01, 11:42
Hi Nat -

I've scanned PP but I would like to read it one of these days. There were a couple of reasons for dropping the weight training...I was starting to get really tired at work because the only time I had was at 7:30 and I found it was seriously compromising my productivity (also my best "thinking" time) ... and the running thing. There's also a motivation factor here. I wasn't enjoying the weight training as much either. I am planning to give it another try, and go easier on myself, in January.

lisaf
Thu, Nov-08-01, 06:43
5:20 - ran 27 minutes on empty stomach - 3 hill repeats...now I'm tired!!!

Good run today ... go figure!

Lisa

Natrushka
Sun, Nov-11-01, 18:30
Happy Birthday Toots!!!!! sure hope you took the day off today ;)

:Party: :bday: :Party:

Nat

P.S. I will never forget today's your bday. (no, not because It's Rememberance Day, because It's my sister's bday too) ;)

lisaf
Sun, Nov-11-01, 18:42
Thanks Nat! What a fabulous surprise! I did, in fact, take the day off (yesterday and the day before too). Had a fairly serious fall off the wagon on Friday night. A coworker decided to see what happens when I drink and bought me a gin and ginger (okay - I agreed that I needed to cut loose a bit). It was wonderful...though I admit that I no longer see it as gingerale diluting the effects of the alcohol, but rather the alcohol diluting the carbs... :daze: Of course, I subsequently ended up eating a pile of french fries with ketchup.

Oh well, I'm back on now...and made myself the wonderful Vancouver Cheesecake (I want to move to BC and marry Karen, now).

Thanks again!!!

Lisa

Natrushka
Sun, Nov-11-01, 20:40
(I want to move to BC and marry Karen, now).

I think you may have to buy her dinner first, Lisa. But as you're going to be there this month, that's doable ;)

So how was the booze? headaches? did you experience the 'cheap drunk' syndrome?

Nat

lisaf
Tue, Nov-13-01, 09:07
Well - no Vancouver for me, unfortunately. I'm sad to report that budget is once again an issue.

I certainly did become a cheap drunk ... 'course I always was! The next two days were fairly unpleasant...I think this had way less to do with the alcohol and a lot to do with the carbs. Had fun though so I'm thinking it was worth it!

Workout update:

Monday - 5:15 - ran 3.5 kms - approx 25 min with 3 minute cool down
Tuesday - 5:23 - ran 2.5 kms - approx 22 min with 4 min cool down

Lisa

lisaf
Thu, Nov-15-01, 10:33
Took a rest day yesterday...or rather my head refused to lift off the pillow when the alarm went off :daze:

Ran this am - 23 minutes plus 4 minute cool down including that nasty hill 2 times!

Reconsidering my decision to run more, gym less as it gets colder... Thoughts are definitely veering back towards weight training. Hey! Body for Lifers (Nat and Jon) - is there a book? website? Do you have to pay for it?

Thanks

Lisa

Natrushka
Thu, Nov-15-01, 10:57
Hey Lisa, join the dark side! :)

Take a look at the last 3 or 4 posts in Jon's Journal, there's a load of information about BFL he posted to some questions I had. Very helpful. If you decide to give it a go, I have the excel files he talks about and some other stuff that would help you. The book can be bought at any bookstore around town. Kinda pricey though, only found the hardcover (not even sure if there is another version).

Nat

lisaf
Tue, Nov-20-01, 14:51
Thanks Nat - I saw the book at Costco for $20 (betcha didn't want to hear that!) and checked out some websites. Definitely food for thought.

Finally back to my workouts yesterday. Ran for 25 min and then 30 min on stairclimber today. I'm undergoing some major personal stress at the moment and I think exercise may be the only thing that's gonna keep me sane. So far I'm managing to stay away from the "food as a drug" approach to managing. If anything, I'm not eating enough.

More on this when I have the energy to get into it...

Had a big sushi pig out on Saturday nite which was the official end to my birthday. It was wonderful but no more for a long while. Next planned cheat will be sometime during Xmas - probably our office party ;)

Take care,
Lisa

lisaf
Wed, Nov-21-01, 08:00
Won't be working out today - went to see the Harry Potter movie last night and didn't get home until 1 a.m. but it was worth it! So I'm running on little sleep at the moment. I do miss my workouts though...

I haven't weighed in a month - found out today that I've broken my stall and lost 4 lbs! 10 to go!!!!

Lisa

Natrushka
Wed, Nov-21-01, 08:04
Holy Cow!!! WTG Lisa :thup: Wonder when that happened? Who cares!!! You must be thrilled.

Nat

P.S. saw the book at Price Club.... was not amused :(

lisaf
Thu, Nov-22-01, 09:21
7:30 - at gym - 20 min stairclimber - intervals, Level 5 for first half, Level 4 for second. About 214 calories.

Weights:

25 crunches
15 obliques each side

Bench press (dumbells):
12 w/ 8lbs each
12 w/ 10 lbs each
10 w/ 12 lbs each

Military press (dumbells):
10 w/ 10 lbs
8 w/ 12 lbs
8 w/ 12 lbs

I'm gonna hurt tomorrow!!

Lisa

lisaf
Mon, Nov-26-01, 06:48
Surprisingly didn't hurt as much as I thought I would!

Ran on Saturday - 4 kms - 27 min + 3 min cool down.

Back to the gym this afternoon for weights and cardio.

lisaf
Mon, Nov-26-01, 13:47
Did 20 min cardio on stairclimber - Level 4 - strength training interval workout.

Tried out ab bootcamp. I'm not sure if my upper thighs don't hurt more than my abs!

Nat - I'm confused about side crunches. Training buddy and I thought it felt more like traditional aerobics class hip flexor workout?!? Maybe you can demonstrate on Saturday? We agreed we won't be able to laugh, sneeze or cough tomorrow!

Lisa

Natrushka
Mon, Nov-26-01, 14:03
Nat - I'm confused about side crunches. Training buddy and I thought it felt more like traditional aerobics class hip flexor workout?!? Maybe you can demonstrate on Saturday? We agreed we won't be able to laugh, sneeze or cough tomorrow!

:) No way am I demonstrating on Sat - Sat is my day off!! Here's the link to Ab-Bootcamp with pictures. From what I've gathered you're supposed to flex the glutes to isolate the abs and take the hip flexors out of the equation.

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/BootCamp.asp

Btw, there's been some debate about this over at the BFL forum and the general consensus is 20 minute AS should involve aerobic intervals, not strength i.e. increase the speed but not the resistance, you aren't supposed to be 'working' your lower body.

Nat

lisaf
Mon, Nov-26-01, 14:23
We were doing a few of them wrong - pictures really help...and boy did I like those pictures!!! ;)

lisaf
Tue, Nov-27-01, 06:41
No running or gym today...my back is really sore from the ab boot camp. This is what happens when you do it wrong!

Also picked up a copy of Body for Life...if not for the entire program, at least for inspiration.

I wondered if anyone out there has any comments on supplements? I tend to avoid them for two reasons. The overriding one is cost - I don't want to spend money on something if I don't have to...and I'm on the fence as to whether or not they actually work. Second, I am biased towards natural approaches. Then again, what's "natural" isn't a question I've really answered either.

Lisa

Natrushka
Tue, Nov-27-01, 07:51
Lisa, if you're going to be lifting any weights I seriously recommend a few supplements:

Glutamine (in powder form): You drop 1 tsp in your water bottle during your workout; and another in later in the day. It's odourless and with a litre of water you don't even notice it. It will help greatly with soreness (I was unable to walk down the stairs after my first lower body workout; within a day of adding Glutamine I felt better - now that I'm pushing it harder I'm rarely 'sore' but I do feel that I've worked out). Glutamine is an amino acid that carries nitrogen to the muscles; it prevents wasting and encourages growth. It also helps to bolster the immune system.

Vitamin C and E: two powerful antioxidants that neutralize cortisol which is produced when your body is under stress; take these after your workouts (400 i.u. of E and 1000mg of C)

My 2 cents.
Nat

lisaf
Thu, Nov-29-01, 07:32
Thanks for the advice Nat - where are you buying your Glutamine?

Haven't gotten around to reading the book - was home running a fever of 103 yesterday...needless to say, no workout for me. I'm back at work, though not at all sure I'll be here all day.

Just need to be better for the lo-carb lunch on Saturday!!!

Lisa

lisaf
Fri, Nov-30-01, 13:19
Still a bit ill, but since its not in my chest, nor am I running a fever anymore, I figured I'd head to the gym.

Tried the Body for Life 20 minute aerobic solution on the stairclimber...definitely a challenge! But felt good. Did half-hearted Ab workout since I'm still unbelieveably sore from my Monday attempt at Ab Boot camp. Gotta get me some of that glutamine!

Plan to take it easy this weekend - maybe run tomorrow if its not too wet out there. Weather is awful, not at all inspiring.

Can't wait to meet the Ottawa and area lo-carbers at lunch tomorrow!!!

Lisa

Natrushka
Fri, Nov-30-01, 13:35
Thanks for the advice Nat - where are you buying your Glutamine?

Lisa, not sure how the hell I missed this.... feeling rather blonde of late ;)

I bought mine downtown on Bank St. between Slater and Albert- there's a nutrition house on the east side of the street; near the hoity toity jewelry store. I've seen it at Price Club though; Hunt Club location. I understand they'll be opening a pharmacy in that one soon as well.

Have a question for you: My girlfriend bought one of those exercise balls and we've having a devil of a time trying to inflate it. It came with two attachments; one looks like a very elongated golfing T and the second is hollow with a screw-in end. Any clues? We tried hooking a bicycle pump up to the hollow one and it just kept blowing off - too much force I think. Ugh. Any help would be most appreciated.

See you tomorrow - assuming nothing else in my house comes crashing down. What a day.

Nat

lisaf
Fri, Nov-30-01, 14:26
You know what? I can't remember if we used anything special to inflate the darn things. We do have an air pump we bought from Canadian Tire - it definitely has a bigger nozzle than a bicycle pump. I believe the elongated golf tee thing is the plug for the hole once filled. I need to double check with dh to make sure we didn't do anything special. I'll throw the pump in my car and you can take a look tomorrow.

Hope your house stays intact! Having a rough day?

Lisa

P.S. I know the place you mean - bought some aromatherapy stuff there once. I'll try Bulk Barn since I don't get downtown much.

Natrushka
Fri, Nov-30-01, 17:07
Yes, having rough day. Toilet tank cracked and flooded the upstairs bathroom..... water fall could be heard dripping through the walls. Emerged from the dining room ceiling fan and in the cold air exchange in the furnace. Then the new toilet the plumbers were installing didnt fit. Apparently the OLD one didnt fit either but it was forced in and that's why it cracked. We took the 'wood' off the wall behind the tank and that gave us 1/8th of an inch which was enough room to get everything hooked up. Going to do some shopping around this weekend for a bathroom renovator.... been wanting to fix that hole up for years; this was enough impetus to get me moving. Sitting here with crossed fingers that the dining room ceiling wont be permanently damaged. Ugh. Bad day.

I'll grab the ball from Michelle tomorrow before heading out, thx so much.

N

lisaf
Sat, Dec-01-01, 05:18
Yup - you win the bad day awards hands down! That sounds awful! The worst part about house plumbing/electrical stuff/car repairs is that its always expensive and generally beyond your control and seems to need to be fixed immediately or you'll freeze/die in a horrific accident/have extensive additional damage.

Ick!

Lisa

lisaf
Sun, Dec-02-01, 19:26
Well, its time to go public! I'm going to start Body for Life tomorrow. Of course, this being me, nothing can start smoothly. I have so much stuff to bring to work tomorrow that I won't be able to o to the gym. This means I will have to do Day 2 (20 min aerobics) tomorrow and do Day 1 (upper body workout) on Tuesday.

Not sure exactly how I'm going to deal with Christmas, when I won't have access to the gym for 3 days...

I'm a bit apprehensive...i.e. how is this going to fit into my life etc. But hey! It's only 12 weeks of life, right?

Lisa

lisaf
Mon, Dec-03-01, 06:56
Day 1 - BFL

20 minute run - HIIT...okay, more like the "19 minute and 20 second Aerobics Solution". I think my perceived 9 was actually my perceived 9 1/2 so I have to slow down a little bit or I won't be able to finish at all.

Lower abdominals are still strained so no ab work for me for a while. Off to buy some Glutamine as soon as I get paid!

Lisa

Natrushka
Mon, Dec-03-01, 07:44
Hey Lisa :) Great meeting you on Sat. Tickled pink you're doing the BFL! Wanted to let you know they carry Glutamine at Wal-Mart at South Keys now. All the supplements are with the vitamins by the pharmacy.

Nat

lisaf
Mon, Dec-03-01, 10:39
Excellent - thanks! That's much more do-able than downtown!

lisaf
Tue, Dec-04-01, 08:35
Upper body workout:

Chest:
Dumbbell bench press:
12 reps, 8 lbs each (4)
10 reps, 10 lbs (5)
8 reps, 12 lbs (6)
6 reps, 15 lbs (7)
12 reps, 12 lbs (9)
Dumbbell flies
12 reps, 10 lbs (9)

Shoulders:
Seated dumbbell press:
12 reps, 8 lbs (7)
10 reps, 10 lbs (8)
8 reps, 12 lbs (9)
6 reps, 12 lbs (9)
9 reps, 10 lbs (10)
Side raises
12 reps, 8 lbs (10)

Back:
Wide grip pulldowns
12 reps, 15 lbs (7)
10 reps, 30 lbs (8)
8 reps, 45 lbs (9)
6 reps, 45 lbs (10)
12 reps, 30 lbs (8)
Attempted reverse grip pulldown but lower ab strain is still too sore.

Triceps:
Bench dips:
12 reps, no weight (4)
10 reps, 10 lbs (5)
10 reps, 12 lbs (6)
10 reps, 15 lbs (6)
12 reps, 15 lbs (9)
Abs to sore for tricep pulldowns...I'll have to try something else until they get better!

Biceps:
Incline dumbbell curls
12 reps, 10 lbs (6)
9 reps, 12 lbs (10)
6 reps, 12 lbs (10)
6 reps, 10 lbs (9)
12 reps, 8 lbs (9)
Seated dumbbell curls
10 reps, 8 lbs (10)

Arms feel pretty wobbly!

Lisa

lisaf
Wed, Dec-05-01, 08:18
Got the glutamine Nat! Need a bigger water bottle though - it tastes awful in only 500 ml! Still, chugged it down to half and watered down the rest so it was okay.

Here's a question - the container says two level teaspoons per day...but that would be for a man with more LBM than me?

7:30 a.m. - Lower Body workout on an empty stomach

Quads
Dumbbell Squats
12 reps, 8x2 lbs (5)
10 reps, 10x2 lbs (6)
8 reps, 12x2 lbs (7)
6 reps, 15x2 lbs (8)
12 reps, 12x2 lbs (8)
Leg extensions
12 reps, 45 lbs (9 1/2?)

Hamstrings
Dumbbell Lunges
12 reps, 8x2 lbs (5)
10 reps, 10x2 lbs (6)
8 reps, 12x2 lbs (7)
6 reps, 15x2 lbs (8)
12 reps, 12x2 lbs (9)
Deadlifts
12 reps, 18 lb bar (8) - need more weight next time

Calves
Single calf raises
12 reps, 8 lb (5)
10 reps, 12 lbs (6)
8 reps, 15 lbs (7)
8 reps, 20 lbs (8)
12 reps, 20 lbs (9)
Angled calf raise
12 reps, 20 lbs (9)

Need to start at a higher weight for calves next time.

Lisa

Natrushka
Wed, Dec-05-01, 08:43
Here's a question - the container says two level teaspoons per day...but that would be for a man with more LBM than me?

Formula i'm using for glutamine is .3g per lb of LBM = total. Divide that by 2 or 3 (depending on how much it is) and have after workout and before bed. I can disolve 1 tsp in a litre of water and notice it not anything more is chalky - but I have noticed that if you put it in the bottle the night before for the morning it mixes better.

Nat

p.s. for some reason I cannot email you; your server keeps returning things undeliverable Arrrrrgggggggg!

lisaf
Wed, Dec-05-01, 09:07
Nat - just tried to email you and it bounced back to me so now I'm not sure what's going on...

Do you have a good online calculator for LBM?

Lisa

Natrushka
Wed, Dec-05-01, 10:13
I have something I can mail you. I just used this formula and while it's complicated it seems to be accurate. It certainly involves enough measurements ;)

Nat

grrlpwer
Wed, Dec-05-01, 10:31
Lisa good luck with BFL :wave:
I bet you do great

lisaf
Wed, Dec-05-01, 10:54
Thanks for the vote of confidence Linda! I'm already feeling the lower body workout from this morning...I'm gonna be living on ibuprofen tomorrow!

...but really, its a good kind of sore!

Lisa

lisaf
Thu, Dec-06-01, 08:30
7:30 - 20 min HIIT stairclimber & gentle stretch

VERY sore from the last two days!

Here's a question: I'm due to do my upper body tomorrow morning...should I still do it if I'm quite sore?

Lisa

Natrushka
Thu, Dec-06-01, 09:19
I'm due to do my upper body tomorrow morning...should I still do it if I'm quite sore?

Advice off the BFL BBS is yes, you work through the pain. But don't strain yourself. FYI, the site is : www.leanandstrong.com

Nat

lisaf
Thu, Dec-06-01, 09:27
Thanks! Hadn't visited there before - looks like lots of good stuff to keep me from my work...

Lisa

Natrushka
Thu, Dec-06-01, 09:35
Just a note, they are rather 'militant' about the food aspect of the program :rolleyes: So I just don't "go there". They do provide good workout advice and the transformation gallery is very inspiring.

Nat

P.S. Back to work! (me too)

lisaf
Fri, Dec-07-01, 08:19
Day 5 BFL

Two quick minutes on the rowing machine for upper body warmup (its cold in the gym!)

Chest
Incline Press
12 reps, 10x2 lbs (6)
10 reps, 12x2 lbs (7)
8 reps, 15x2 lbs (8)
6 reps, 20x2 lbs (9)
12 reps, 15x2 lbs (9 1/2)
Dumbbell flies
12 reps, 12x2 lbs (9 1/2)

Shoulders
Side raises
12 reps, 5x2 lbs (6)
10 reps, 8x2 lbs (7)
8 reps, 10x2 lbs (8)
6 reps, 12 x2 lbs (9)
12 reps, 10x2 lbs (10)
Standing shoulder press
12 reps, 5x2 lbs (10)

Back
One arm dumbbell rows
12 reps, 8 lbs (4)
10 reps, 10 lbs (5)
8 reps, 12 lbs (6)
12 reps, 15 lbs (7)
12 reps, 20 lbs (8)
Wide grip pulldowns
12 reps, 30 lbs (8)
Need more weight - my back is stronger than I thought!

Triceps
Tricep extensions
12 reps, 8 lbs (9)
10 reps, 10 lbs (10)
8 reps, 10 lbs (10)
8 reps, 8 lbs (10)
12 reps, 5 lbs (9)
Bench dips
12 reps, no weight (9)

Biceps
Seated dumbbell curls
12 reps, 10x2 lbs (8)
10 reps, 12x2 lbs (9)
8 reps, 15x2 lbs (9)
6 reps, 15x2 lbs (9)
8 reps, 12x2 lbs (10)
Incline dumbbell curls
6 reps, 10x2 lbs (10)

Plus - I'm down another pound!!

Natrushka
Fri, Dec-07-01, 09:33
Plus - I'm down another pound!!

Jeeze, Girl, you're doing something right!!! wtg!

Nat

lisaf
Fri, Dec-07-01, 09:49
Thanks! I feel like I'm eeking out each pound at this point. I've increased my water a LOT - which I think is helping in many ways. I'll get to goal yet!

Natrushka
Fri, Dec-07-01, 11:38
We will have to have celebration luncheon when you do!

N

lisaf
Fri, Dec-07-01, 12:58
What a great idea! And since we'll probably hit goal around the same time, we'll have to buy each other lunch!!!

Natrushka
Fri, Dec-07-01, 14:37
What a great idea! And since we'll probably hit goal around the same time, we'll have to buy each other lunch!!!

*lmao* I'm not due until June officially; I'm thinking April now. At this rate I'll be taking YOU out before I get to go to Cuba!!

N

lisaf
Sat, Dec-08-01, 20:24
8:30 - Run 20 min HIIT on an almost empty stomach!

Day off tomorrow

Lisa

lisaf
Mon, Dec-10-01, 08:15
Had a lovely day off yesterday! My body thanked me by not being sore this morning for the first time in over a week.

7:30 a.m. - Lower body workout on an empty stomach

3 minutes cardio to warm up
Lower body stretcy

Quads
Squats
12 reps, 8x2 lbs (4)
10 reps, 10x2 lbs (5)
8 reps, 12x2 lbs (6)
6 reps, 15x2 lbs (7)
12 reps, 12x2 lbs (9 1/2)
Leg extensions
12 reps, 45 lbs (10 - burning)

Hamstrings
12 reps, 10x2 lbs (4)
10 reps, 12x2 lbs (5)
8 reps, 15x2 lbs (6)
6 reps, 20x2 lbs (7)
12 reps, 15x2 lbs (8)
Lunges
12 reps, 12x2 lbs (9)

Angled calf raise
12 reps, 12x2 lbs (4)
10 reps, 15x2 lbs (5)
8 reps, 20x2 lbs (6)
6 reps, 25x2 lbs (7)
12 reps, 20x2 lbs (8)
Single calf raise
12 reps, 20 lbs (9 1/2)

I could add more weight I think, but grip strength could prove to be a problem. I'll have to do a few "dangles" at the gym to make my hands stronger.

Lisa

lisaf
Tue, Dec-11-01, 08:18
Attempted 25 minute run. Unfortunately I forgot my inhaler so it was me vs. my lungs for most of it. As a result, I did as much running as I could, but couldn't do intervals...argh!

Did some ab work at the gym.

Lisa

lisaf
Wed, Dec-12-01, 07:59
7:30 - upper body workout...ack can't type, my forearms feel utterly drained!

Chest:
Dumbbell flies
12 reps, 12x2 lbs (7)
10 reps, 15x2 lbs (8)
8 reps, 20x2 lbs (9)
6 reps, 15x2 lbs (9)
12 reps, 12x2lbs (10)
Bench press
12 reps, 12x2 lbs (10)

Shoulders:
Standing press
12 reps, 8x2 lbs (8)
10 reps, 10x2 lbs (9)
6 reps, 12x2 lbs (10)
6 reps, 12x2 lbs (9)
10 reps, 10x2 lbs (10)
Bent over raises
12 reps, 10x2 lbs (10)

Back:
Dumbbell pullovers
12 reps, 10 lbs (4)
10 reps, 12 lbs (5)
8 reps, 15 lbs (6)
6 reps, 20 lbs (7)
12 reps, 20 lbs (8)
One-arm rows
12 reps, 20 lbs (9)

Triceps:
Bench dips
12 reps, 10 lbs (7)
10 reps, 12 lbs (8)
8 reps, 15 lbs (9)
7 reps, 20 lbs (10)
9 reps, 15 lbs (10)
One arm extensions
8 reps, 10 lbs (10)

Biceps:
Hammer curls
12 reps, 10x2 lbs (7)
10 reps, 12x2 lbs (8)
8 reps, 15x2 lbs (9)
3 reps, 20x2 lbs (10)
9 reps, 15x2 lbs (10)
Started having problems with anything that involves rotating my forearm during the workout so I didn't do the second exercise for biceps. Ouch! Good thing I don't do any more upper body until next week.

Lisa

lisaf
Fri, Dec-14-01, 08:49
BFL - Days 11 and 12

Day 11 - did my lower body workout - very good but left my stats at home so I can't post 'em. I was experiencing "netscape errors" yesterday!

Day 12 - my cold has decided to settle in my chest so no run for me...I'll have to miss a few cardio workouts, and hope to get back on track on Monday.

Lisa

Trainerdan
Sun, Dec-16-01, 19:52
Here's a question: I'm due to do my upper body tomorrow morning...should I still do it if I'm quite sore?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I know I am here late, but if your muscles are sore, DO NOT train them until they are recovered (or not sore, at least).

The general purpose of any training session is to improve the performance and the shape of the body's muscles, organs and systems. To achieve this the body must be subjected to a load above it's habitual level.

Most of your muscles' adaptations for increased strength and endurance occur in the interval between exercise sessions, your ability to perform at a high level day after day is limited by the extent of muscle recovery and repair after strenuous training.

Equally important is recovery after exercise. Without adequate recovery, there can be no advancement in growth. The body needs time to rest, recover and adapt after training. The amount of time needed will depend on the intensity and length of the session, the fitness level of the person, the use of recovery techniques, and the person's diet.

If you train too frequently, the body uses its energy completely for recovering purpose and no time is left for the buildup process. Overtraining and it's complications seem to be a no-brainer, but unfortunately mnay people don't understand the interaction between exhaustion and recovery.

Here's a common scenario ... a person starts weight training and gets great results initially. Excited by the results, and anxious to do whatever it takes to re-shape their body, they start training everyday.

They start to have problems going up in the morning (everything hurts and you're sooo tired), and in the gym the muscles are still sore somehow from the preceding workout. First they don't even notice that they get weaker. Then they do and somebody has to tell them its OVERTRAINING.

What to do against overtraining?

One good solution is to learn to listen to your body. Are the muscles you're going to train today really fully recovered? If its the first day after the tension or the soreness went away completely, wait another day to be sure there was time to grow.

If you are training with fully recovered muscles it has the big advantage of a really great pump.

lisaf
Mon, Dec-17-01, 10:12
Thanks for the great advice Dan! Fortunately, my upper body had recovered by the time I was due to get back to it -- so everything is okay! And now I don't have to ask the question again ;)

As for me - I am still battling this cold/virus/bug/whatever from hell so I haven't done anything since Thursday last week. Was at the dr. this a.m. and he said it sounds like my chest is clearing but I should hold off on running until I'm confident I've healed. Shouldn't keep me from weight training though...so I'll be back at the gym tomorrow a.m.

I hope everyone had a good weekend!

Lisa

lisaf
Tue, Dec-18-01, 07:59
Well, I'm coming to terms with the fact that I've been sick for almost 3 weeks now, with no end in sight and I'm going to have to call off my Body for Life attempt for now. I've reset my start date for January 7th - once all the holiday madness is over and life returns to its normal pace. I'm not giving up on working out...but its going to have to be unstructured for a while. I will get back to cardio once my cold gets out of my chest. I'll try to follow some weight training with a degree of regularity where possible but I'm not going to feel guilty if I don't make it.

I feel frustrated but I can't afford to be sick for much longer and I need some patience to let it be what it is. After working out so consistently for the last 6 months ... for the first time in my life, I might add ... its hard to stop for a while. I guess I worry that I won't go back to it and I'll end up like I was before.

Lisa

Natrushka
Tue, Dec-18-01, 08:19
Lisa, I know it can be tough, specially when you're forced to take time off and it's not a choice. But it sounds like you need it. Overtraining isnt something that happens only to elite athletes. A few weeks off (real time off !! no cardio no weights; just vegging around the house) will make you stronger and let you heal and you'll be back better than before.

Hang in there.
N

P.S. 7 away from goal :thup:

lisaf
Tue, Dec-18-01, 09:34
Thanks Nat! The hardest part is not sleeping! I don't know if its the cold, or not working out, but I'm not falling asleep so easily anymore.

Drat! There I go complaining again!

Lisa

lisaf
Wed, Dec-19-01, 07:23
Okay all - I'm officially declaring myself on two-weeks of NO workouts. This is now my non-gym log! I haven't actually worked out since Thursday last week so I'll let myself back in the gym next Thursday (Dec 27th) - but only if I'm healthy!

Have a good day...I'll be back next week!

Lisa

Natrushka
Wed, Dec-19-01, 07:40
Enjoy the time off. And I'm looking forward to seeing you on Sat night! Btw, I had to do a double take; 155.5?????????????????? Maybe this break is just what your body needs.

Wow!
Nat

lisaf
Thu, Dec-20-01, 07:17
Thanks - I was kinda stunned myself. I go to the chiropractor once a month and had been using his scale to update my weight here. My last few updates have been based on my scale at home. Since I was at the chiro's yesterday, stepped on his scale and was amazed to be 1 1/2 lower than I thought.

I miss exercise,

Lisa

lisaf
Sat, Dec-22-01, 06:18
Still missing my workouts...I check my thighs every once in a while to make sure they still feel "hard" LOL ... I don't think 2 weeks off is going to turn me to mush, but there's no harm in checking!!!

Have a great day!

Lisa...who's off to battle the hoards of grocery shoppers!

lisaf
Thu, Dec-27-01, 09:11
...from my two-week, strictly enforced break.

I won't be starting BFL again until Monday but in the meantime I did a 20 minute cardio solution and upper body workout. Felt fantastic!

20 MAS - stairclimber

UBWO:
Chest:
Bench press
12 reps, 10 lbs (3)
10 reps, 12 lbs (5)
8 reps, 15 lbs (6)
6 reps, 20 lbs (7)
12 reps, 15 lbs (8)
Incline press
12 reps, 15 lbs (9)

Shoulders:
Standing press
12 reps, 5 lbs (6)
10 reps, 8 lbs (6)
8 reps, 10 lbs (7)
6 reps, 12 lbs (8)
12 reps, 8 lbs (9)
Lateral raise
8 reps, 10 lbs (10)

Back:
One arm rows
12 reps, 8 lbs (4)
10 reps, 10 lbs (5)
8 reps, 12 lbs (6)
6 reps, 15 lbs (7)
12 reps, 20 lbs (8)
Dumbbell pullover
12 reps, 12 lbs (8)

Triceps
One arm extensions (hate these!!!)
12 reps, 8 lbs (8)
10 reps, 10 lbs (9)
8 reps, 12 lbs (10)
6 reps, 10 lbs (10)
Bench dips
12 reps, no weight (9)

Biceps
Curls
12 reps, 12 lbs (6)
10 reps, 10 lbs (7)
8 reps, 12 lbs (8)
6 lbs, 15 lbs (9)
12 reps, 12 lbs (10)
Hammer curls
6 reps, 10 lbs (9)

Lisa

Natrushka
Thu, Dec-27-01, 11:11
Hey there, welcome back! I bet getting up and going into work was a joy today with this to look forward to. Amazing how much we miss the exercise when it's not there, isnt it?

Nat

lisaf
Thu, Dec-27-01, 20:01
Alright world -- it's time! Since I have already decided to start Body for Life (again) on Monday...I figured no time like the present (and no one here to giggle and watch me while I do this) to take those darned measurements...so here it goes...stripping naked as I type...

Okay - here we go:

Upper arm: R:11 3/4" L: 11 5/8"
Chest: 36.5
Bust: 38 1/4
Waist: 31.5
Hips: 39 3/4
Thighs: R: 23 L: 23
Calves: R: 15 1/4 L: 15 3/8

Now's when I wish I'd done this when I started this WOE since I have nothing to compare it to...

Lemme go plug these numbers into a calculator...back in a second...

%body fat 26.6% (ugh!)
LBM: 114 lbs
Fat mass: 41.3 lbs

So:
If I can lose 3.5 inches off my waist, and reset my weight goal for 140 lbs...my body fat will be around 20% - quite acceptable!

Woo hoo - new goal! Oh, and I wanna be able to do 15 full pushups after my 12 weeks. Right now I can do...wait for it...1/2!

lisaf
Fri, Dec-28-01, 08:05
Weighed in this morning at home and I'm at 156.5 according to the home scale which I plan on using from now on so I had to adjust my weight profile up a pound. I figured I either gained a pound (entirely possible given some of my "nutritional holidays" last week) or its the difference between my scale and the one at the chiropractors. No big deal anyway...at least not to me which strikes me as a healthier-than-usual attitude.

Went to the gym before work and here's what I did:

10 min cardio warm-up on the stairclimber - much needed after my very chilly walk to the gym!

Lower body

Quads:
Squats
12 reps, 10 lbs (5)
10 reps, 12 lbs (6)
8 reps, 15 lbs (7)
6 reps, 20 lbs (8)
12 reps, 20 lbs (8)
Leg extensions
12 reps, 45 lbs (9) - major burn but not failure. Can't imagine the burn if I did get to failure!

Hamstrings
Leg curls
12 reps, 7 lbs (8)
10 reps, 15 lbs (9)
6 reps, 30 lbs (10)
6 reps, 15 lbs (8)
12 reps, 7 lbs (8)
Lunges
12 reps, 15 lbs L(9)

Calves
Angled raises
12 reps, 12 lbs (5)
10 reps, 15 lbs (6)
8 reps, 20 lbs (7)
6 reps, 25 lbs (8)
12 reps, 25 lbs (9)
Singe calf raises
12 reps, 25 lbs (9)

Did some ab work:
15 crunches holding those abdominal muscles together really helped! I didn't feel like there was "nothing" there.
15 oblique crunches each side
20 side bends
1 minute of stomach vacuums...those are amazing!

Stretching between sets.

Lisa

lisaf
Sat, Dec-29-01, 18:38
7:45 a.m. 3 k run - bbrrrrr chilly!

Lisa

lisaf
Sun, Dec-30-01, 18:36
Well my supposed day off turned into a 7 k run (2 k more than I've every attempted). This insanity began a few days ago when I decided to get together with a friend who lives in the country so our kids could play. Her husband is a former athlete/martial artist/weigh lifter, turned extreme sports enthusiast, and he challenged me to run with him. He promised to go my pace and not tease me when I needed to walk (which I did). It was great! We were running through the snow on a country road at the base of a "hill" (though its quite steep). I've never run with anyone before, and Bob was incredibly encouraging and kept telling me if I kept this up I could run a marathon in May (NOT! but it was nice of him to say so LOL). Running on snow and ice made my left knee pretty sore though.

When we got back from the run, my friend had masterfully managed our collective tribe (two 4-year olds, 2 two-year olds) and had them tobogganing and "shoveling" the driveway).

All in all a fun day!

Lisa

lisaf
Mon, Dec-31-01, 08:49
Day 1 - BFL

Upper body workout

Chest
Incline press
12 reps, 12 lbs
10 reps, 15 lbs
8 reps, 20 lbs
6 reps, 20 lbs
12 reps, 15 lbs (8)
Bench press
12 reps, 15 lbs (9.5)

Did chest and supersetted with shoulders:

Lateral raises
12 reps, 5 lbs
10 reps, 8 lbs
8 reps, 10 lbs
6 reps, 10 lbs
12 reps, 8 lbs (9)
Standing press
12 reps, 8 lbs (10)

Back
Seated row
12 reps, Level 3 (sorry - I don't know how much weight this is!
10 reps, 4
8 reps, 5
6 reps, 6
12 reps, 6 (9)
Bent over flies
12 reps, 8 lbs (9)

Superset back with biceps:
Hammer curls
12 reps, 8 lbs
10 reps, 10 lbs
8 reps, 12 lbs
6 reps, 15 lbs
12 reps, 15 lbs (9)
Curls
12 reps, 12 lbs (10 right, 8 left)

Triceps:
Bench dips (no weight)
12, 10, 8, 6, 12 rep sets
One arm extensions
12 reps, 12 lbs (9)

I tried the superset in hopes of shaving off some time but I don't think it made more than a 5-8 minute difference! So not necessarily worth the added stress. The gym was supposed to be closed (its generally unsupervised at the time I'm there anyway) so I worked out in semi darkness which was kind of nice.

Lisa

lisaf
Tue, Jan-01-02, 13:52
Okay I was supposed to do cardio today...but since I didn't take Sunday off and ran 7 k I think my body deserves a break. I'll do my Lower body and a bit of cardio tomorrow a.m. to compensate.

Rollin' on :roll:

Lisa

lisaf
Wed, Jan-02-02, 08:53
BFL - Day 3

Lower body after 5 minute warmup on stairclimber

Quads:
Leg extensions
12 reps, 7 lbs
10 reps, 15 lbs
8 reps, 30 lbs
6 reps, 45 lbs
12 reps, 45 lbs (8)
Squats
12 reps, 2x20 lbs (8)

Hamstrings
Leg curls
12 reps, 7 lbs
10 reps, 15 lbs
8 reps, 20 lbs
6 reps, 30 lbs (10)
12 reps, 12 lbs (9)
Lunges
12 reps, 20 lbs (8) very sore left knee

Calves:
Angled raises
12 reps, 12 lbs
10 reps, 15 lbs
8 reps, 20 lbs
6 reps, 25 lbs
12 reps, 25 lbs (7)
Single calf raises
12 reps, 25 lbs (9)

Did some ab work -- that left side is still sore so I did stomach vaccuums and obliques.

Lisa

lisaf
Thu, Jan-03-02, 06:36
20 minute aerobic solution...modified for the idiot (me) who forgot to use her inhaler. What does this mean, you ask? It means that hitting my ten was at the pace of my usual 8. But I'm happy to say I did the whole run, I did sweat and its better than nothing.

Nat - I'm taking heart in what you said about the marketing side of workout programs!

Lisa

lisaf
Fri, Jan-04-02, 12:20
Its not possible that I'm the first person to work out today???? Or just the first to post it? Come on Nat - I know today was a cardio day for you? Where is it????

All right - I'll stop harassing others and just post what I did...

Card-reader at the gym wasn't working this morning so I wasn't able to get there until 11:45 - what a zoo!!! I'm not used to having to fight for a piece of mirror.

6 min cardio warm-up

Upper body workout
Chest:
Bench press
12 reps,12x2 lbs
10 reps, 15x2 lbs
8 reps, 20x2 lbs
6 reps, 20x2 lbs (9)
12 reps, 15x2 lbs (8)
Machine flies
12 reps, 20 lbs (10)

Shoulders:
Standing press
12 reps, 5x2 lbs
10 reps, 8x2 lbs
8 reps, 10x2 lbs
6 reps, 12x2 lbs (8)
12 reps, 10x2 lbs (9)
Lateral raise
12 reps, 8x2 lbs (9)

Back:
Lat pulldowns
12 reps, 30 lbs
10 reps, 35 lbs
8 reps, 40 lbs
6 reps, 45 lbs
12 reps, 35 lbs (9)
Seated row
12 reps, Level 6 (9)

Triceps
One arm extensions
12 reps, 8 lbs
10 reps, 10 lbs
8 reps, 12 lbs
6 reps, 15 lbs
11 reps, 10 lbs (10)
Bench dips
12 reps, no weight (9)

Biceps
Incline curls
12 reps, 8x2 lbx
10 reps, 10x2 lbs
8 reps, 12x2 lbs (9)
6 reps, 10x2 lbs(9)
12 reps, 10x2 lbs (10)
Hammer curls
12 reps, 10x2 lbs (10)

Lisa of the jiggly biceps...

Natrushka
Fri, Jan-04-02, 12:43
Didn't I post yet? Guess not..... thought I did - talk about a Friday.

Lisa, do you find the Incline curls give you more of a workout than standing or sitting ones? I did a new upper body workout this week and I could feel my biceps for days afterward - I think it was the incline curls?

Off to post!

lisaf
Fri, Jan-04-02, 14:05
I find I like the stretch! The curls themselves seem to put more stress on my shoulders which is interesting. But I agree they seem harder at the same weight. I think it may be because you can't brace your elbow into your side.

Lisa

Natrushka
Fri, Jan-04-02, 14:11
I am going to have to pay closer attention - I made the UBWO very shoulder intense - but this feeling was in the bicep area... I think I may have pushed passed some level, I felt stronger - those flys and curls were not as hard as I thought they should have been, and yet boy was I feeling it the next day (and the next!). I can't wait to try again. Free day is going to feel very long I think (yes, obsessive I am)

N

lisaf
Fri, Jan-04-02, 14:27
I'm not sure if the word is obsessive or addicted? Maybe addicted and therefore obsessive? LOL...I don't suppose it matters as long as you have great arms when all is said and done!!

Lisa

Natrushka
Fri, Jan-04-02, 14:37
Do you remember Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2? I want her arms dammit!!!

lisaf
Fri, Jan-04-02, 21:43
Oh man! There was this chick (sorry,I only call women "chicks" when I'm desperately jealous of 'em) with just amazingly strong looking arms. And not thin muscly arms, but big pecs and biceps...amazing. She was also about 22... hence my envy! She was curling 35-40 pounds! Did I mention she was cute too?

Lisa

Natrushka
Fri, Jan-04-02, 22:06
Yeah but I bet she can't carry a conversation ;)

One of the great things about working out at home has to be that I am not subjected to that green eyed monster - I can be way too competitive!

Btw, that will probably be you by the end of your 12 weeks - have you seen some of the transformations on the bodychangers page?? I can't wait to try an official (take the pictures and maybe even enter the competition style) challenge in Feb!

Night, Toots.
Nat

lisaf
Sat, Jan-05-02, 18:38
Nat - I'm afraid there's no way my breasts are ever going to be that perky!!! But I can try darn it!

That is exactly why I NEVER go to the gym at lunch hour. Its strictly me and 7 a.m. die-hards!!!

No workout today...in theory I should run but I am nursing my knee and will probably give a short run a try tomorrow a.m. I don't kill myself over cardio these days. I am also on strict "no ab-work" since I think that "injury" may in fact be a hernia. Will be seeing the doctor next week for diagnosis...but I'm fairly certain of my "internet" diagnosis. Here's hoping I'm wrong...

Lisa

lisaf
Mon, Jan-07-02, 08:29
Leg day!

Quads
Leg extensions
12 reps, 7 lbs
10 reps, 15 lbs
8 reps, 30 lbs
6 reps, 45 lbs
12 reps, 45 lbs (9)
Squats
12 reps, 20x2 lbs (9)

Hamstrings
Deadlifts
12 reps, 12x2 lbs
10 reps, 15x2 lbs
8 reps, 20x2 lbs
6 reps, 25x2 lbs
12 reps, 20x2 lbs (8)
Curls
12 reps, 15 lbs (10)

Calves
Angled raise
12 reps, 12x2 lbs
10 reps, 15x2 lbs
8 reps, 20x2 lbs
6 reps, 25x2 lbs
12 reps, 25x2 lbs (8)
Single raise
12 reps 25x2 lbs (10 on left, 9 on right)

5 stomach vacuums.

Start my run clinic tonight - yay!!!

Lisa

lisaf
Mon, Jan-07-02, 19:53
Run clinic was fun...its for women only. We ran you the street to Parliament Hill and ran around the Flame. It was quite beautiful because the Christmas lights are still on and they have lit the main building with white snowflakes. Unfortunatelythey will be turned off next week.

Because its a learn to run class, we ran for one minute, walked for two. Next week we run for one minute, walk for one, etc. It was pretty cold but once we started running everyone warmed up and got chatting. I've never run with a group before, so even though I found the running easy, it was nice to get to know some new people.

Good night all :yawn:

lisaf
Tue, Jan-08-02, 19:40
Had quite a messed up day with a big all staff meeting downtown and was so rushed by the time I got back to the office that I nevermade it to the gym. So instead, I put on my run gear, put my daughter to bed and hit the road for a 30 minute run. It was beautiful...not too cold (happy with bare hands and a ball cap)...overall a good run with a few walk breaks. Probably 3.5 kms.

Lisa

lisaf
Wed, Jan-09-02, 18:42
I'll have to report today's workout tomorrow 'cause I'm outta time! Did an upper body workout that was great...details to follow tomorrow a.m.

Lisa

lisaf
Thu, Jan-10-02, 08:34
Day 10 - upper body

Incline press
12 reps, 12x2 lbs
10 reps, 15x2 lbs
8 reps, 20x2 lbs
6 reps, 25x2 lbs(10)
12 reps, 15x2 lbs (9)
Machine flies
12 reps, 20 lbs (10)

Lateral raise
12 reps, 5x2 lbs
10 reps, 8x2 lbs
8 reps, 10x2 lbs
6 reps, 12x2 lbs(9)
12 reps, 12x2 lbs (9)
Shoulder press
12 reps, 10x2 lbs (9)

Seated row
12 reps, Level 4
10 reps, Level 5
8 reps, Level 6
6 reps, Level 7(9)
12 reps, Level 7 (9)
Lat pulldowns
12 reps, 30 lbs (8) - need more weight

Bench dips
12 reps, knees at 90 degrees
10 reps, knees bent to 45 degrees
8 reps, straight leg
6 reps, straight leg (9)
12 reps, 90 degrees (9)
One arm kickbacks
12 reps, 10 lbs (9)

Bicep curls
12 reps, 8x2 lbs
10 reps, 10x2 lbs
8 reps, 12x2 lbs
6 reps, 15x2 lbs (9)
12 reps, 10x2 lbs (10)
Hammer curls
8 reps, 10x2 lbs (9)

Day 11

27 minutes HIIT on stairclimber...much easier on the knees!

Lisa

lisaf
Tue, Jan-15-02, 12:23
Jan 11 - Day12 BFL - would have done a LBWO but didn't bring my notes to update my log.

Took the weekend off

Day 15 - run clinic.

Day 16 - Upper body work out

Chest
Bench press
12 reps, 12x2 lbs
10 reps, 15x2 lbs
8 reps, 20x2 lbs
6 reps, 25x2 lbs (first time! 9 1/5)
12 reps, 15x2 lbs (8)
Incline press
12 reps, 15x2 lbs (8)
Need to increase weight on last 12 rep set to exhaust muscle more

Shoulders
Shoulder press
12 reps, 12x2 lbs
10 reps, 15x2 lbs
8 reps, 20x2 lbs
6 reps, 25x2 lbs (first time! 9 1/2)
12 reps, 15x2 lbs (8)
Lat raise
12 reps, 15x2 lbs (8)

Back
Seated rows:
12 reps, Level 4
10 reps, 5
8 reps, 6
6 reps, 8 (9)
12 reps, 7 (9)
Lat pulldowns
12 reps, 35 lbs (9)

Triceps
Nosebreakers
12 reps, 9 lb bar
10 reps, 12 lb
8 reps, 15 lb
6 reps, 18 lbs
12 reps, 18 lbs (9)
Bench dips
12 reps, Legs 45 degree angle(9 1/2)

Biceps
Curls
12 reps, 8x2 lbs
10 reps, 10x2 lbs
8 reps, 12x2 lbs
6 reps, 15x2 lbs
12 reps, 12x2 lbs (9)
Hammer curls
12 reps, 8x2 lbs (9)

Felt great!

Lisa

lisaf
Wed, Jan-16-02, 14:19
LBWO -

Quads
Squats
12 reps, 12x2 lbs
10 reps, 15x2 lbs
8 reps, 20x2 lbs
6 reps, 25x2 lbs
12 reps, 20x2 lbs
Leg ext
12 reps, 45 lbs

Hamstrings
Deadlifts
12 reps, 12x2 lbs
10 reps, 15x2 lbs
8 reps, 20x2 lbs
6 reps, 25x2 lbs
12 reps, 25x2 lbs
Curls
12 reps, 15 lbs

Calves
Angled raises
12 reps, 12x2 lbs
10 reps, 15x2 lbs
8 reps, 20x2 lbs
6 reps, 25x2 lbs
12 reps, 25x2 lbs
Single calf raises
12 reps, 25 lbs

Lisa

lisaf
Thu, Jan-17-02, 10:48
Whew! 20 minutes of interval training on the stairclimber...feeling those quads from yesterday's workout!

Lisa

lisaf
Fri, Jan-18-02, 15:02
Upper Body Work out

Chest:
Incline press
12 reps, 12x2 lbs
10 reps, 15x2 lbs
8 reps, 20x2 lbs
6 reps, 25x2 lbs
12 reps, 20x2 lbs
Incline flies
12 reps, 15x2 lbs

Shoulders
Front raise
12 reps, 5x2 lbs
10 reps, 8x2 lbs
8 reps, 10x2 lbs
6 reps, 10x2 lbs
12 reps, 8x2 lbs
Lateral raise
12 reps, 10x2 lbs

Back:
Seated row:
12 reps, Level 5
10 reps, 6
8 reps, 7
6 reps, 8
12 reps, 7
Bent over raise
12 reps, 15x2 lbs

Triceps
Nose breakers (I just like these because I like the name!)
12 reps, 9 lbs
10 reps, 12 lbs
8 reps, 15 lbs
6 reps, 18 lbs
12 reps, 18 lbs
Bench dips
12 reps

Biceps
Hammer curls
12 reps, 10x2 lbs
10 reps, 12x2 lbs
8 reps, 15x2 lbs
6 reps, 15x2 lbs
12 reps, 12x2 lbs
Curls
12 reps, 10x2 lbs

Definitely hit my 10's today!

Lisa

lisaf
Mon, Jan-21-02, 09:26
Day 22 - Legs, legs, legs!

Squats
12 reps, 12x2 lbs
10 reps, 15x2 lbs
8 reps, 20x2 lbs
6 reps, 25x2 lbs
12 reps, 20x2 lbs
Leg extensions
12 very painful reps, 50 lbs

Deadlifts
12 reps, 15x2 lbs
10 reps, 20x2 lbs
8 reps, 25x2 lbs
6 reps, 30x2 lbs (can hardly hold these...no grip strength!)
12 reps, 25x2 lbs
Hamstring curls
12 reps, 15 lbs

Angled calf raises
12 reps, 15x2 lbs
10 reps, 20x2 lbs
8 reps, 25x2 lbs
6 reps, 25x2 lbs
12 reps, 25x2 lbs
Raises
12 reps, Level 6

Tonight - run clinic where we'll be running 2 minutes, walking for 1. I figure it'll start getting more challenging in a few weeks...i.e. around the time we start running for 5 or more minutes before the walk breaks. But I'm having so much fun!

Lisa

lisaf
Tue, Jan-22-02, 08:58
Run clinic was hard! We ran in the snow...uphill on the way back. I also paid dearly for the two glasses of white wine I had on Sunday night, not to mention my apparently overly prideful statements yesterday! For anyone who doesn't know, avoid alcohol the day before a cardio workout...makes you sluggish! I felt like I was running through the water! Heavy legs etc.

Did penance on the treadmill ... BFL cardio but did 5 intervals instead of 4 for a total of 23 minutes. Felt good though my knees are mad at me at the moment. I don't think I'm running enough so I've got to get back to it. I've set my sights on a St. Patrick's Day 5k in March...and a 10k at the National Capital Race Weekend in May. There is a 10k run clinic starting in March that ends just in time for the race.

Lisa

lisaf
Wed, Jan-23-02, 09:12
Upper body workout

Chest
Bench press:
12 reps, 12x2 lbs
10 reps, 15x2 lbs
8 reps, 20x2 lbs
6 reps, 25x2 lbs
12 reps, 20x2 lbs
Pec deck flies
12 reps, 15 lbs (ouch!)

Shoulder press:
12 reps, 5x2 lbs
10 reps, 8x2 lbs
8 reps, 10x2 lbs
6 reps, 12x2 lbs
12 reps, 10x2 lbs
Front raise
12 reps, 10x2 lbs

Triceps
Nosebreakers
12 reps, 12 lb bar
10 reps, 12 lb bar
8 reps, 15 lb bar
6 reps, 18 lb bar
12 reps, 18 lb bar
Bench dips, legs at 45 degree angle
8 reps

Biceps
Curls:
12 reps, 12x2 lbs
10 reps, 15x2 lbs
5 reps, 20x2 lbs
6 reps, 15x2 lbs
12 reps, 12x2 lbs
Hammer curls
12 reps, 10x2 lbs

Back
Seated row
12 reps, level 5
10 reps, level 6
8 reps, level 7
6 reps, level 8
12 reps, level 7
Lat pulldown
12 reps, 35 lbs

lisaf
Thu, Jan-24-02, 13:28
Didn't get to the gym for my cardio this a.m. so I headed out a little after 1 p.m. for a quick 1/2 hour run around my office complex. Fortunately, my office is part of a campus right near the Ottawa River so its quite pretty, though very slushy and a bit slippery in spots. I'm happy to be heading to the doctors this afternoon as my knees were giving me quite a bit of trouble!

Lisa

lisaf
Fri, Jan-25-02, 13:51
Well, my dr has diagnosed patello-femoral syndrome...ick! Off to see the sports med people next I guess. Just hoping it isn't too hard to fix...i.e. a knee brace rather than months of physio would be nice.

Did LBWO anyway...

Leg extensions, hamstring curls, calf raises.

Lisa

lisaf
Sat, Jan-26-02, 19:34
Stats from before BFL week 1:

Weight 156.5
Upper arm: R:11 3/4" L: 11 5/8"
Chest: 36.5
Bust: 38 1/4
Waist: 31.5
Hips: 39 3/4
Thighs: R: 23 L: 23
Calves: R: 15 1/4 L: 15 3/8
%body fat 26.6% (ugh!)
LBM: 114 lbs
Fat mass: 41.3 lbs

Stats after Week 4:

Weight: 152
Upper arm: R:12 1/4" L: 12 1/4"
Chest: 35.5
Bust: 38
Waist: 30 3/8
Hips: 38 1/4
Thighs: R: 22 5/8 L: 22 5/8
Calves: R: 15 1/4 L: 15 1/4
%body fat 24.2% (ugh!)
LBM: 115.2 lbs
Fat mass: 36.8 lbs

So basically I've lost 4 lbs of fat and gained a pound of lean mass - apparently all in my biceps!

lisaf
Mon, Jan-28-02, 08:28
UBWO

Bench press
12 reps, 12x2 lbs
10 reps, 15x2 lbs
8 reps, 20x2 lbs
6 reps, 25x2 lbs
12 reps, 20x2 lbs
Incline press
12 reps, 15x2 lbs (10!)

Lateral raise
12 reps, 8x2 lbs
10 reps, 10x2 lbs
8 reps, 12x2 lbs
6 reps, 12x2 lbs
12 reps, 10x2 lbs
Shoulder press
12 reps, 10x2 lbs

Seated row
12 reps, level 5
10 reps, level 6
8 reps, level 7
6 reps, level 7
12 reps, level 7
Bent over row
10 reps, 15 lbs

Bench dips
12 reps, legs at 90 degrees
10 reps, 45 degrees
8 reps, straight
6 reps, straight
12 reps, 45 degrees
Nosebreakers
12 reps, 18 lbs

Curls
12 reps, 10x2 lbs
10 reps, 12x2 lbs
8 reps, 15x2 lbs
6 reps, 15x2 lbs
12 reps, 12x2 lbs
Incline press
8 reps, 10x2 lbs

lisaf
Mon, Jan-28-02, 19:51
Had a great run clinic tonight...we did 3 min run, 1 minute walk. I actually like the longer run time, it seams to make the 20 minutes go by faster.

20 minute aerobic solution tomorrow...not sure if it'll be treadmill, stair or bike...

lisaf
Tue, Jan-29-02, 11:14
Opted for the stair and had a great workout...knees didn't bother me a bit! I'm off to the Sports Medicine people on Thursday to see what they have to say about my mis-aligned legs.

Weight back down to 150 after hovering around 152 for a few days - probably due to overindulgences on Friday night.

Lisa

lisaf
Wed, Jan-30-02, 14:30
Lower body workout today:

Squats
12 reps, 12x2 lbs
10 reps, 15x2 lbs
8 reps, 20x2 lbs
6 reps, 25x2 lbs
12 reps, 15x2 lbs
Leg extensions
12 reps, 50 lbs (burning!)
Keeping my squats shallow to avoid knee stuff. Also found that slightly turning out my feet (more like a plie) works too.

Standing curls (didn't like these on the machine so I won't do em again)
12 reps, Level 2
10 reps, 3
8 reps, 4
6 reps, 4
12 reps, 3
Deadlifts
12 reps, 25x2 lbs

Raises
12 reps, 2 plates (don't know weight)
10 reps, 3
8 reps, 4
6 reps, 5
12 reps, 5
Angled raise
12 reps, 25x2 lbs (really felt these today)

Lisa

lisaf
Thu, Jan-31-02, 19:49
20 min aerobic solution on stairclimber.

Lisa

lisaf
Fri, Feb-01-02, 19:53
Did a ten minute fast run on the treadmill and then had a great upper body workout. If you haven't tried Arnold presses for shoulders then do...they hurt!

Lisa

lisaf
Sat, Feb-02-02, 21:29
Okay - I admit to being something of a BFL "cheat" - I don't do my Day 6 cardio. Its true...I admit it. However, today, as I did last week, found me dancing around my living room tonight. I've decided that I've also been neglecting stretching, so I did a full stretch...almost as strenuous as when I used to do gymnastics and ballet. I'm amazed by how much flexibility I've retained! My back is nowhere near as "bendy" as it used to be, but I can still do a pretty decent bridge. I can also still do the splits all three ways. I'm going to try to do some stretching every day to see if I can make some progress. I can't get to yoga, this will have to be my second best!

Lisa

lisaf
Sun, Feb-03-02, 11:25
I've decided a one-hour walk in the snow is gym log-worthy. What a workout for calves!

Lisa

lisaf
Mon, Feb-04-02, 19:43
Skipped LBWO today and will do it tomorrow - had to carry a no-bake cheesecake into work this morning for a Health Committee dinner -- somewhat ironic since its LOADED with fat!

Run clinic tonight - did four 4-minute runs with 1 minute walks in between. Felt great, even though it was "minus something insane" with the windchill!

Lisa

lisaf
Tue, Feb-05-02, 11:46
Both kids home with fevers of 103 and up! DH couldn't take the day off...so no workout for me today :(

lisaf
Wed, Feb-06-02, 20:50
Well - having missed my workouts on Monday AND Tuesday...had a big make-up day and did an UBWO superset with my LBWO, followed by a twenty minute run on the treadmill. Felt awesome, but HUNGRY all afternoon!

Lisa

lisaf
Thu, Feb-07-02, 12:23
Great cardio...treadmill run at 10% incline. Did 2 five minute sets with one minute rest in between, then ran a full 14 minutes. Did some abs too.

Lisa

lisaf
Fri, Feb-08-02, 15:15
Wonderful, great workout today. Much needed might I add. I did my LBWO and superset quads and hams with the biceps and triceps I missed on Wednesday. Very jiggly legs. Also had a really great stretch afterwards...and some guy tried to pick me up! Feel slightly threatened by that, not interested in him at all, but it was nice to be noticed.

Lisa

lisaf
Sat, Feb-09-02, 18:54
Nice evening at home with kids in bed. Full stretch and some ab work from a magazine I picked up yesterday...let's see if I can make em burn!

Lisa

lisaf
Sun, Feb-10-02, 13:37
Day off! :clap:

Lisa

lisaf
Mon, Feb-11-02, 10:56
Day 42 - halfway there!!!

UBWO was awesome this morning...still shaking. Have run clinic tonight. Then tomorrow will be a bit wierd. I'm going to do my cardio and LBWO because Wednesday will be a write-off since I'm flying to Florida that day.

Lisa

lisaf
Tue, Feb-12-02, 09:30
Day 43 - BFL

Should have been cardio but since I'm leaving on my holiday tomorrow, I'm rolling two days into one. I did LBWO this a.m. and willhead over to the gym around 3 for my cardio!

lisaf
Tue, Feb-12-02, 19:35
I did go back tothe gym and ran for 20 minutes onthe treadmill 10% incline.

Also did abs and a full stretch.

Off to Florida...may be able to log on from time to time. Otherwise, I hope to have a LOT of stuff to put in here when I'm back!

Lisa

lisaf
Thu, Feb-21-02, 14:36
Florida was fabulous - I even managed most of my workouts - all of my weight training! Got to run outside in shorts!

Stuck pretty well to the program though I didn't necessarily do the workouts on the prescribed days and I missed yesterday's LBWO...tomorrow I will superset my LB and UB WO's which means I get a nice long gym session tomorrow afternoon!

Seem to have gained a bit -- not surprised since I ate a lot more than usual -- but mostly stuck to plan with only one break when we had Chinese my last night there. Also expecting TOM any day now so that could account for those 4 extra pounds. Oh well...it'll melt away fast enough. I do feel like I've been losing and regaining the same 2-5 pounds for the last little while and I'll be doing my measurements tonight to see where I'm at after 8 weeks of BFL.

Lisa

lisaf
Fri, Feb-22-02, 22:00
Huge enormous, gigantic workout -- did both upper and lower body in supersets. Took over an hour but I really felt everything! Hamstrings got particularly hit so we'll see how sore I am tomorrow. Feel much more back on track now!

Lisa

lisaf
Sat, Feb-23-02, 13:45
Ran 6 minute intervals, 4 times with 1-minute walk breaks in between.

L.

lisaf
Mon, Feb-25-02, 09:07
Week 9!!!! I can't believe I'm so close to the end...the time has flown by! I'll have to decide what to do next now!

Today was UBWO...not bad but I think that the lateral raises messed with my neck, its very sore now! I'll have to be more careful with form I think.

Incline dumbbell press
12 x 15 lbs
10 x 20 lbs
8 x 25 lbs
6 x 25 lbs
12 x 20 lbs
Bench flies
12 x 12 lbs

Lateral raises
12 x 8 lbs
10 x 10 lbs
8 x 10 lbs
6 x 12 lbs
12 x 10 lbs
Front raises (alternating)
12 x 10 lbs

Seated row (machine)
12 x Level 6
10 x 7
8 x 8
6 x 8
12 x 7
Lat pulldowns
12 x 35 lbs

Arm extensions
12 x 12 lbs
10 x 15 lbs
8 x 20 lbs
6 x 25 lbs
12 x 20 lbs
Bench dips
12 with legs at 45 degrees

Bicep curls
12 x 10 lbs
10 x 12 lbs
8 x 12 lbs
6 x 12 lbs
12 x 10 lbs
Hammer curls
12 x 10 lbs

Tonight I have my run clinic so no cardio tomorrow...

L.

lisaf
Tue, Feb-26-02, 21:15
I was on course today so I couldn't get to the gym, but had a good run last night. 2x8minutes w/ a one minute walk break. I could run another 8 for three intervals and will try to do that for my cardio on Thursday.

Lisa

lisaf
Wed, Feb-27-02, 11:22
LBWO -

Squats
12 ~ 15x2 lbs
10 ~ 20x2 lbs
8 ~ 25x2 lbs
6 ~ 25x2 lbs
12 ~ 20x2 lbs
Leg extensions - 15 ~ 55 lbs
What's failure for quads...I only ask because I never fail, but I stop cause I can't stand the burn!

Superset squats with calves:
Machine raise (sorry I don't know pounds, only level number)
12~ level 4
10~ 5
8~6
6~7
12~8
Angled calf raise
12 ~ 30x2 lbs

Hamstrings
12~15 lbs
10~ 20 lbs
8 ~ 25 lbs
6~ 25 lbs
12 ~ 20 lbs
Deadlifts
15 ~ 30x2 lbs

All in all a good workout.

Lisa

lisaf
Thu, Feb-28-02, 08:30
Treadmill run - 3 x 8 minute intervals w/ 1 minute walk in between.

Lisa

lisaf
Fri, Mar-01-02, 09:44
BFL - Day 61, LBWO

Bench press
12 reps 15x2 lbs
10 reps 20x2 lbs
8 reps 25x2 lbs
6 reps 25x2 lbs
12 reps 20x2 lbs
Incline press
12 reps 20x2 lbs

Arnold press
12 reps 8x2 lbs
10 reps 10x2 lbs
8 reps 12x2 lbs
6 reps 12x2 lbs
12 reps 12x2 lbs
Rear delt raise
20 reps 12x2 lbs (increase to 15 lbs!)

Seated row
12 reps level 6
10 reps L7
8 reps L8
6 reps L8
12 reps L7
Lat pulldowns
12 reps 30 lbs

Overhead extensions
12 reps 12 lbs
10 reps 15 lbs
8 reps 20 lbs
6 reps 25 lbs
12 reps 25 lbs
Bench dips
12 reps 45 degrees

Hammer curls
12 reps 10x2 lbs
10 reps 12x2 lbs
8 reps 15x2 lbs
6 reps 15x2 lbs
12 reps 12x2 lbs
Incline press
12 reps 12x2 lbs

lisaf
Sat, Mar-02-02, 12:48
Danced like a fiend until 3:00 a.m. - does this count? Drank too much to run today. Running on 2 hours of sleep probably isn't a good idea anyway!

Lisa

lisaf
Mon, Mar-04-02, 09:02
LBWO:

Leg extensions
12 reps, 40 lbs
10 reps, 45 lbs
8 reps, 50 lbs
6 reps, 55 lbs
12 reps, 50 lbs
Squats
12 reps, 20x2 lbs

Hamstring curls
12 reps, 15 lbs
10 reps, 20 lbs
8 reps, 25 lbs
6 reps, 30 lbs
12 reps, 25 lbs
Deadlifts
12 reps, 30x2 lbs

Machine raise
12 reps, Level 4
10 reps, L5
8 reps, L6
6 reps, L7
12 reps, L8
Angled raise
12 reps, 30x2 lbs (actually got to failure!!!!)

Abs x 2
15 crunches
15 hip raises
15 v-sits
20 obliques (10 each side)

Felt really great to be at the gym this morning. I think I need new workout wear...getting tired of my standard black shorts and oversized T-shirt!

Lisa

Natrushka
Mon, Mar-04-02, 09:53
Remember those lycra/cotton short & top sets we saw at cotton ginny? Well the last time I was there they were 4.99$ each (down from 19 and 29$!). They look great on btw - yes I bought a set ;)

Nat

lisaf
Mon, Mar-04-02, 12:08
Thanks! I'll stop by on my way home from run clinic tonight!

lisaf
Tue, Mar-05-02, 08:14
Thanks Nat - picked up two pairs of shorts! See you tonight.

7:30 a.m. - 30 min cardio stairclimber - level 5, strength training intervals.

Lisa

lisaf
Wed, Mar-06-02, 08:29
Decline press
12 reps, 12x2 lbs
10 reps, 15x2 lbs
8 reps, 20x2 lbs
6 reps, 25x2 lbs
12 reps, 25x2 lbs (10!) (can't believe it!!)
Incline flies
12 reps, 12x2 lbs

Arnold press
12 reps, 10x2 lbs
10 reps, 10x2 lbs
8 reps, 12x2 lbs
6 reps, 15x2 lbs
12 reps, 12x2 lbs (10)
Front raise
12 reps, 8x2 lbs (9)

Seated row
12 reps, Level 6
10 reps, Level 7
8 reps, Level 8
6 reps, Level 8
12 reps, Level 8
Lat pull downs
12 reps, 35 lbs (I think I could go up 5 lbs here)

Nosebreakers
12 reps, 12 lbs
10 reps, 15 lbs
8 reps, 18 lbs
6 reps, 20 lbs
12 reps, 20 lbs
Overhead extensions
8 reps, 25 lbs (10!)

Concentration curls
12 reps, 8 lbs
10 reps, 10 lbs
8 reps, 12 lbs
6 reps, 15 lbs
12 reps, 12 lbs
Hammer curls
12 reps, 12x2 lbs (10)

lisaf
Thu, Mar-07-02, 08:46
Sore from those chest presses yesterday!

Had a good run this a.m. - outside (brrrr!) 10 min intervals x 2 with one minute walk. Its amazing how far you can run in 10 minutes!!!

Lisa

lisaf
Fri, Mar-08-02, 08:11
Day 68

Lower body workout

Leg extensions
12 reps, 40 lbs
10 reps, 45 lbs
8 reps, 55 lbs
6 reps, 60 lbs
12 reps, 55 lbs
Sumo squats
12 reps, 25 lbs

Leg curls
12 reps, 20 lbs
10 reps, 20 lbs
8 reps, 25 lbs
6 reps, 25 lbs
12 reps, 20 lbs
Deadlifts
12 reps, 30 lbs
(superset leg curls with hyperextensions)

Angled calf raise
12 reps, 20 lbs
10 reps, 20 lbs
8 reps, 25 lbs
6 reps, 30 lbs
12 reps, 30 lbs
Machine raise
12 reps, Level 8

Abs: 1x crunch, hip raise

Those sumo squats are great - and my knee didn't protest at all. I definitely won't do them as a full set until after my race though!

Lisa

lisaf
Sat, Mar-09-02, 19:46
Good run - wore shorts! I can't believe how warm it was out. Not going to last unfortunately as its going back down to freezing. Could be worse...I could live in Minnesota right now LOL!

2 x 10 min interval, 1 minute walk in between.

Ran past my soon to be new house!

Lisa

lisaf
Mon, Mar-11-02, 20:35
Due to mad faxing of financial material, I didn't go to the gym this morning but I did have a 20 minute run this evening at run clinic. Race is in 5 days!

Lisa

lisaf
Tue, Mar-12-02, 08:33
Wow! Only two weeks to go! Had a very good upper body workout this am though my muscles felt tired today. I think this may be because I ran last night and didn't have 24 hours to recover.

Lisa

shawj11
Wed, Mar-13-02, 19:42
Hi Lisa.
I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been chatting with Nat since joining the site. I am going to be starting BFL and Nat recommended that I check out your journal. WOW! Your results have been amazing! You must be soo proud of yourself!
Congratulations!

:wave:

:thup:

lisaf
Thu, Mar-14-02, 07:54
No workout today...I've been on such an emotional rollercoaster for the last two weeks. I think this morning, the ole bod just said "ENOUGH!!" and my brain cooperated by forgetting to put my sneakers in my gym bag. I figured the fact that I wasn't that disappointed when I got to the gym was a sign that a long shower was in order. I'm still tired and will probably take a day off next week to get my head straightened around the next few months and figure out what I can handle and what I can't.

Still really looking forward to my race on Saturday...I can't wait to find out what its like! My goal is just to finish and establish a benchmark time for other races this summer. I'll be running the National Capital race weekend 5k in May.

As for after BFL, I've decided to take a two week break (not sure about running...probably still do that) from weights. After that, I'm going to do some strict upper body focus i.e. a three day split (Chest/back, shoulders/abs, biceps/triceps) and let the running take care of maintaining my lower body mass. There are a few reasons for this - the first is that I find my quads are really bulking up more than I like. The second is that I want to build some upper body and I need to be more focussed on those parts as I think I have a harder time building muscle in that area.

Jennifer - thanks for dropping by! BFL is a great program! I can't say I've been "perfect" i.e. never missing a workout so my results probably aren't what they could have been. I haven't missed any weight training sessions, but I haven't been consistent with cardio because I was also training for a 5k. But I'm thrilled to have stuck with it... 12 weeks is a long time to do one thing and I feel a great deal of pride at having accomplished it! I can't wait to read your journal to see how you are doing! Once you get going, it really has its own momentum!

shawj11
Thu, Mar-14-02, 18:44
Lisa,
Thanks for the welcome and encouraging words. I have been doing atkins for a bit over a month now and have not seen any results. I haven't eaten any bad carbs etc..i dont quite know what i did wrong. Anyway, im not much of a fan of having so much time pass by with no rewards so i officially called it quits today. I had some protein shakes and a protein bar today. I know those aren't highly looked upon, but that is where i have had the best results in the past and i was at a loss. (Plus I love them! and they are soo darn convenient!) I have begun re-reading BFL and plan on starting this weekend. I notice that none of you girls mention the use of shakes and bars.
I'm hoping you have a food journal that I can check out...i'm going to go look.
I hear what you are saying about bulking up in areas you don't want to..I was doing my cardio on the treadmill and elliptical and had it set on the highest incline. Much to my dismay, I was building muscle in places I didnt want it and instead of my pants getting looser, they were getting tighter! Ugh!
Anyway, I look forward to reading your journal each day. Keep up the good work and thanks for the motivation/inspiration!
Jenn :wave:

lisaf
Fri, Mar-15-02, 08:48
Hi Jenn - I do log my food in my journal in the K-L section. I don't usually have premade shakes...but do add protein powder to my breakfast (yogurt, ricotta, flax cereal) ... I occasionally have an Atkins bar for convenience but not everyday. I can become very easily attached to foods that are sweetened (artificially or otherwise) and need to be careful or I find myself eating all kinds of carby things.

Had a pretty good upper body workout today - felt a bit weaker than on Tuesday so hit my 10's earlier.

Incline Press
12 reps, 15x2 lbs
10 reps, 15x2 lbs
8 reps, 20x2 lbs
6 reps, 25x2 lbs
12 reps, 20x2 lbs
Incline flies
9 reps, 12x2 lbs

Arnold press
12 reps, 10x2 lbs
10 reps, 10x2 lbs
8 reps, 12x2 lbs
6 reps, 15x2 lbs
12 reps, 12x2 lbs
Delt raise
12 reps, 15x2 lbs

Seated row
12 reps, Level 6
10 reps, 7
8 reps, 8
6 reps, 8
12 reps, 7
Lat pulldown
12 reps, 40 lbs

Bench dips
12 reps, knees bent (90 degrees)
10 reps, knees bent (45 degrees)
8 reps, straight leg
6 reps, straight leg
12 reps, straight leg
Overhead extensions (both arms)
7 reps, 25 lbs

Curls
12 reps, 10x2 lbs
10 reps, 12x2 lbs
8 reps, 15x2 lbs
6 reps, 15x2 lbs
12 reps, 12x2 lbs
Concentration curls
12 reps, 10x2 lbs

lisaf
Sat, Mar-16-02, 13:05
Ran the 5k this morning as part of the annual St. Patrick's day race in 32:50! A whole lot faster than I thought I could. I picked up speed at the end and had to go up this absolutely brutal hill. As I passed these 2 women (before thehill) one of the said to her friend "yeah, but how's she gonna make it up that hill" -- I should have thanked her for the motivation!

Lisa

lisaf
Mon, Mar-18-02, 10:11
Had an awesome LBWO this a.m. -- though legs still a bit fatigued from Saturday run.

Quads
Sumo Squats
12 reps, 20 lb dumbell
10 reps, 25 lbs
8 reps, 30 lbs
6 reps, 35 lbs
12 reps, 30 lbs
Leg extensions
12 reps, 60 burning lbs!

Hamstrings
Deadlifts
12 reps, 20x2 lbs
10 reps, 25x2 lbs
8 reps, 25x2 lbs
6 reps, 30x2 lbs
12 reps, 25x2 lbs
Hamstring curls
8 reps, 20 lbs

Calves
Machine raise
12 reps, Level 7
10 reps, 8
8 reps, 9
6 reps, 10 (heavy - hard on the shoulders)
12 reps, 9
Angled raise
12 reps, 2x30 lbs

shawj11
Mon, Mar-18-02, 16:52
Lisa,
Just wanted to say congrats on the success of your run. That's awesome!
And WOW....you are really going to town with those weights! Great Job.....How does it feel to be 100% at goal!?!?!?!

Kudos! You made it!

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

lisaf
Mon, Mar-18-02, 21:21
Thanks! Feels great! ...and wierd, in a good way!

My day turned into a wild workout day. Our servers at work went down so my friend and I headed to the gym in the afternoon. I figured I'd do some abs (which I've been neglecting) and stretch while she did her cardio. When I was done she still had almost a 1/2 hour to go so I hopped on the stairclimber for 30 minutes. Then I had my last running clinic tonight and we ran 3k non-stop.

I'm gonna sleep well tonight!!!!

lisaf
Tue, Mar-19-02, 08:10
20MAS on the stationary bike --

So much more satisfying to type in all those reps and weights...

Lisa

shawj11
Tue, Mar-19-02, 17:15
Lisa,
LMAO...I know exactly what you mean...when I posted in my gym log yesterday with all my lifting..it felt awesome..now today I have to just go and enter my cardio..its seems soo minimal in comparison..although we both know its essential!

Im looking forward to lifting again tomorrow and posting!

Keep up the good work! Your awesome!

:D

lisaf
Wed, Mar-20-02, 08:13
Last UBWO!!! Day 80 of 84...Barring some horrible incident involving large quantities of snow in MARCH, it looks like I'm gonna make it...wait that's already happened and I'm still here!

Chest
Bench press
12 reps, 15x2 lbs
10 reps, 15x2 lbs
8 reps, 20x2 lbs
6 reps, 25x2 lbs
12 reps, 20x2 lbs
Bench flies
10 reps, 10x2 lbs

Shoulders
Shoulder press
12 reps, 10x2 lbs
10 reps, 10x2 lbs
8 reps, 12x2 lbs
6 reps, 15x2 lbs
12 reps, 12x2 lbs
Front raise
12 reps, 12x2 lbs

Back
Lat pulldowns
12 reps, 30 lbs
10 reps, 35 lbs
8 reps, 40 lbs
6 reps, 45 lbs
12 reps, 40 lbs
Seated Row
12 reps, Level 8 (heavy!)

Triceps
Overhead extensions (both arms at once)
12 reps, 15 lbs
10 reps, 20 lbs
8 reps, 25 lbs
6 reps, 30 lbs
12 reps, 25 lbs
Bench dips
8 reps, straight legs

Biceps
Curls
12 reps, 10x2 lbs
10 reps, 12x2 lbs
8 reps, 15x2 lbs
4 reps, 20x2 lbs (wow!)
12 reps, 12x2 lbs
Hammer curls
12 reps, 12x2 lbs

Lisa

razzle
Wed, Mar-20-02, 10:30
lisa, a belated congratulations on your race performance! whoo hoo--way to go, girl!

I can't believe people make comments about others like that--were they raised by wolves? lol I contrast that to a comment I got when I ran hilly trails in California at about 180 pounds...a woman whom I'd seen a few times called out to me, "you're my hero, do you know that?" what a nice thing to say! And lisa, you know, a lot of people here see you as a hero, too. :)

lisaf
Wed, Mar-20-02, 13:59
Hi raz - wow! comments like that are just what keep me coming back here again and again! By the way, I think you're amazing too and find your insights on addiction and eating disorders very compelling!

Trying hard not to let the rotten weather wear me down...

Lisa

lisaf
Fri, Mar-22-02, 08:24
I made it ... well almost! Didn't work out today because for some reason, everything hurts. That being said, I did do my measurements and wow! Things have really changed in the last 4 weeks.

For one thing, I gained 4 pounds. Just in the last two weeks. Thankfully, its all muscle! Here are my stats with change from before BFL in brackets:

Weight: 154.5 (-2 lbs)
Upper arms: R 12 3/4" (+1")
L 12 5/8" (+1")
Chest: 35 3/4" (-3/4")
Bust: 37" (-1 1/4")
Waist: 29 3/8" (-2 1/4")
Hips: 38 1/2" (- 1 1/4")
Thighs: R 22 1/2" (- 3/4")
L 22 3/4" (- 1/4")
Calves: R 15 1/8" (-1/4")
L 15 1/8" (-1/4")

Now for the cool part:

Body fat %: 21% (-5.6%) !!!!!
Lean mass: 122 lbs (+8 lbs)
Fat mass: 32.5 lbs(-8.8 lbs)

Okay Nat - you were right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa

Natrushka
Fri, Mar-22-02, 08:31
Lean mass: 122 lbs (+8 lbs)

WOW!! What an awesome number, Lisa. You have to be tickled pink! Can't wait to see you - Tonight still OK?

Nat

lisaf
Fri, Mar-22-02, 10:49
Totally - I'm gonna email you right now!

Lisa

shawj11
Fri, Mar-22-02, 16:52
Lisa,
Just had to say congrats on your fantastic results! you must be soo proud of yourself!
That's great!
:thup:

lisaf
Mon, Mar-25-02, 11:55
Thanks Jennifer! Sorry to reply so late - haven't been online all weekend! Not sure how I stayed away...

Am on a one-week break ... I'll be back with my new, improved workout schedule once I figure out what it is!

See everyone in a week!

Lisa

lisaf
Thu, Apr-04-02, 08:36
Finally back to my workouts! With Easter holidays (and a little incident involving me forgetting my sneakers on Tuesday...what was fate trying to tell me?) my one week off turned into two. To be honest, I didn't start to really miss it or feel entirely sloth-like until a few days ago.

This morning I followed the principles of BFL's 20 minute aerobic solution but added two additional intervals at the end for a full 30 minutes on the stairclimber. Felt so wonderful...so much sweat...gross but good - I trust you guys to know what I mean!!

I've created my plan for the next 12 weeks and it will go something like this:

Monday - Chest and triceps
Tuesday - Cardio (30 min run, stairclimber or bike)
Wednesday - Back and biceps
Thursday - Cardio as above
Friday - Shoulders and abs
Saturday - run
Sunday - rest day

For each part I will do 2 to 3 different isolating exercises, 3 sets, 30sec- 1 min between sets. I am aiming for 6-8 reps per set with a view to failing by the end of each set. This should build mass which is my goal (want those hot shoulders for summer bathing suit weather)

Due to the sneaker incident - this week is going to be getting back to cardio - stair today, run tomorrow and probably again on Saturday. I'll probably take Sunday off and then get into the program on Monday morning. Next week will basically be a series of dry runs where I play around with weight and see what I need to do.

Lisa

shawj11
Fri, Apr-05-02, 00:42
Hey Lisa.

Sounds like a good plan and one that won't cut too much time out of your day. I have been doing the interval thing too and I agree.. WOOHOO..WHAT A SWEAT! My motto is, if I'm not drenched, I'm not doing something right!
Just wanted to wish you well with your new plan..I'm sure you'll do great!

lisaf
Fri, Apr-05-02, 07:08
Thanks Jennifer! I'm excited about getting started and am looking forward to being nice and sore my first week back!

Today: ran 30 minutes (10 min intervals w/ 1 min walk in between) - 4 kilometers. Legs now feel like jello and my hip flexors were really aching afterwards.

Woo hoo!

Lisa

Natrushka
Fri, Apr-05-02, 19:46
Welcome back to the land of exercise, toots :) It's missed you too! I've been thinking ahead to the end of this challenge and what I plan to do next - Going to following your gym log closely for pointers and tips. So keep it up to date, will yah?

Let me know a good time to drop by this weekend - we're both around and I can pop over pretty quickly!

Nat

lisaf
Mon, Apr-08-02, 07:38
Okay Nat -- here it goes:

Monday - Week 1 - Chest/Triceps

Chest
Incline press
6 reps, 25x2 lbs
6 reps, 25x2 lbs (failure)
Bench press
6 reps, 20x2 lbs
Flies
6 reps, 10x2 lbs
6 reps, 12x2 lbs
6 reps, 12x2 lbs (failure) - I hate these!

Triceps
Skullcrushers
12 reps, 20 lbs
10 reps, 25 lbs(failure)
10 reps, 25 lbs (failure)
Pressdowns
10 reps, 15 lbs
10 reps, 15 lbs
10 reps, 15 lbs (near failure - will up to 20 lbs next time)

After Body for Life, its hard to remember that I'm trying to fail with each set. I'm also aiming for a more controlled tempo i.e. 4 seconds up, hold 1 second, 2 seconds down.

I really can't tell if I'm going to be sore tomorrow. Certainly my triceps are more tired than they have ever been with BFL.

Lisa

lisaf
Tue, Apr-09-02, 05:44
Okay - I'm sore! Not my triceps thought! My pecs are pretty tender today.

Run - 20 minutes, 3 kms

L.

shawj11
Tue, Apr-09-02, 07:29
Hey Lisa..
Just popping in to see how you are doing.
I officially started body for life yesterday..really looking forward to my 12 week journey..stuck mostly with the myoplex lite shakes for the first day..i'm still a bit nervous about the whole portion thing..freaks me out a bit that i will have too much of something.
I have to get a little notebook or something so i can keep track of exactly how much i am lifting etc. i am doing all my exercises but by the time i get home, its hard to keep track of exactly what i did.
talk to you soon.
take care.
;)

lisaf
Wed, Apr-10-02, 18:52
Jennifer - I can't wait to read about your progress! I did pop into your journal briefly this morning and just wanted to give you a quick heads-up warning onthe carb content of the myoplex bars and shakes - generally nasty for those hidden carbs. With more workouts and weight training you may be able to handle them though. Its always an interesting experiment to see what works and what doesn't!

As for keeping track of your workouts...I'm going to PM my work email to you, if you reply, I'll send you the Excel spreadsheets that I used to track my workouts (exactly the same as the ones inthe book and downloadable somewhere onthe Web - I'm just too wiped to go looking).

Today's workout got derailed by my husband's trip to the chiropractor this a.m. Tomorrow will be a joint cardio, weights day.

I'm definitely loving the new weight routine - its so much faster!!! And man, do my pecs hurt today!

Lisa

shawj11
Wed, Apr-10-02, 22:20
Hey Lisa!
Thanks for taking a look at my journal. Any advice coming from someone who's has acheived such great success is certainly the kind of feed back I am looking for.
I have been tracking my food on fitday as well. My calories seem a bit low to me although each day it has been the recommended 40/40/20 split.
Like I mentioned, I just feel safer using the myoplex products. I know I've been going a bit heavy on them and am certainly going to try and incorporate more "real foods" as I get the hang of this.
(they are just so darned convenient! ;) ).

Anyhoo...about to begin day 4. cardio today. :D

That would be great if you could send me the gym logs..I really appreciate it! I'll be looking for them!

Thanks again for your help and your support Lisa. It really is a great help.

Talk to you soon!

lisaf
Thu, Apr-11-02, 06:50
Jenn - I'll send you the files when I get your email address (check your private messages -- I sent you one yesterday).

Today -

5:15 - ran 30 minutes (approx. 4 kms)
7:30 - Back/Bicep day

Lat pulldowns
6 reps, 30 lbs
2 x 6 reps, 40 lbs
Seated row
3 x 6 reps, Level 9
One arm rows
3 x 6 reps, 25 lbs
Hammer curls
3 x 6 reps, 15x2 lbs
Concentration curls
3 x 8 reps, 12 lbs

Lisa

shawj11
Thu, Apr-11-02, 19:21
Hey Lisa!
I dont know much about this private messenger thing. my email address is shawj11~msn.com

I'll be looking for it!

Thanks again!
:p

shawj11
Thu, Apr-11-02, 19:22
Oops..thats shawj11~msn.com

shawj11
Thu, Apr-11-02, 19:24
it wont let me do the "at" symbol!

lisaf
Fri, Apr-12-02, 06:23
Hi Jenn - no, the site automatically removes it so spammers can't come in and steal your email address and start sending you all kinds of junk mail.

As for private messages - you can go read them by scrolling down to the bottom of the Active Low-Carber Forums screen -- you 'll be able to see if you have any private messages!

Alternatively, if you look right above this message you'll see the note you left me. Right below it are a bunch of icons...click on the PM one and it will take you to your private messages.

Lisa

lisaf
Fri, Apr-12-02, 11:22
Jenn - I can't seem to email you?! I've been trying all morning.

Lisa

lisaf
Sun, Apr-14-02, 07:57
I'm never sure how to describe a bad run. On the one hand, at least I got out there right? And I did run most of it! On the other hand, walked a LOT (especially at the end) and had a lot of negative self-talk going on which generally tends to make me slow right down to a walk. Oh well... like I said, at least I got out there.

So, ran (mostly) walked (some) of 5k - 38 mins total (ran about 30-32)

Lisa ... who's is going to re-read her signature line a few times today!

shawj11
Sun, Apr-14-02, 09:11
Hey Lisa..
Sorry about that. I signed up for a bfl support thing and didnt realize how busy it was going to be so i was getting like 150 updates everytime someone posted so my email was full. Needless to say, i had to readjust my settings!
Anyway, its ok now..thanks for trying :D

In other news..tommorrow starts week two! yeeha! I have to admit..i really took advantage of my free day..and then some :rolleyes:

but, back on track today and looking forward to the new week on the program..really starting to see some results in my arms. I have to keep telling myself that this will take some time and that i need to be patient!

Sorry your run didnt go so well. Like you said, at least you got out there and as always...something is better than nothing. You have come a LONG WAY! Just remind yourself of that whenever u r feeling down.

Chin up girl!

Talk to you soon.

lisaf
Thu, Apr-25-02, 08:46
:roll:

Yay! I'm back! Don't wanna be here...but here I am nonetheless.

Must admit that workouts in BC were few and far between. The gym in the hotel was under renovation and right next to the pool. It took a whole 30 seconds to break out into a completely sweaty mess it was so humid. Not to mention that the weights were all just thrown into a small room and there was hardly room to maneuver in there.

So, for now, I'm counting on my LBM to keep me from ballooning to larger than life again. Once things have settled down with moving house and the co-parenting plan, I'll be better able to manage some workouts. May have to rely on some yoga tapes for a while in the meantime.

Lisa

shawj11
Thu, Apr-25-02, 16:22
Ok..i feel totally out of the loop. Based on your latest post, i take it you have moved to a warm location!?!
Well..if that's the case... 1..i am jealous 2..i wish you the best of luck in your new surroundings...3..i am jealous!

I am on day 18 of bfl. I havent been posting here as bfl is not really a "low carb plan" so i figured i shouldn't.

I have been following the diet to a tee and working out like a madwoman. I managed to stay off the scale until two days ago and much to my dismay, when i stepped on, i was up 6 pounds from my last weigh in. I know that i am gaining muscle so i am trying not to be freaked out by this. the thing is...i went to get into a pair of my jeans this morning and i literally had to lay down to button them. i dont understand what is going on. i am logging my food intakes each day...i am staying at a range of calories where i SHOULD be losing..i am keeping w/ the proper ratios as far as fat/carbs/calories for bfl. I just don't get it. PLEASE Lisa..give me some feedback. I don't understand whats going on..i see others results..dropping inches, etc. I have completely changed my work out routine (intervals) and yet this is happening. I really would appreciate any help you could give me. I feel like i am at a weight loss stand still (was on atkins for six weeks and not a pound lost) and that i should be going to drastic measures now, but i dont want to lose muscle.
HEEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP!

On the flip side...i was glad to get the email saying there was a new post on your board (it's been a while) and i really hope all is well with you.
Sorry for rambling on..but I don't know what to do!

Thanks again.
Jennifer

Natrushka
Thu, Apr-25-02, 18:11
Once things have settled down with moving house and the co-parenting plan, I'll be better able to manage some workouts. May have to rely on some yoga tapes for a while in the meantime.

Think of it as your Week or two of rest :) After my own forced time off I can totally relate to how you felt back at Christmas. But, wow, Lisa, it was worth it. I feel better, I lost fat and I'm psyched about the next few weeks.

Take the time you need to get organized and I'm sure you'll be back in the gym before you know it. If you need an 'ear' or a coffee I'm just a few doors down. Say 'Hi' to Chelsea for me :)

Nat

lisaf
Fri, Apr-26-02, 09:27
Jen - If only it were warm!!! I could use some of that! Nope - the weather here has been insane. It was as hot as July or August on my moving day...then apparently snowing two days later (I was far away on a business trip). Odd odd odd.

Nat - I sure will!

I am worried that I won't get back at all. I feel like I've already taken time off since mid-March...not many workouts to report it seems. Plenty of available excuses too. I'm going to work out a schedule for myself for next week and play around in the gym for a few days to figure out what works. Definitely want to get back to my UBWOs -- I want those swimsuit shoulders!!!

Lisa

Natrushka
Fri, Apr-26-02, 09:34
Definitely want to get back to my UBWOs -- I want those swimsuit shoulders!!!

Sure! But can I have your biceps if you're not using 'em ;) ?

N

lisaf
Fri, Apr-26-02, 13:00
You are totally sweet! Honestly Nat, I'd be surprised if your bi's weren't way bigger than mine!!!

Ohhhh, I feel so testosterone-y!

Lisa

lisaf
Wed, May-01-02, 05:33
Got to the gym ... finally!!!! Headed over around 2:30 yesterday afternoon and did 30 minutes intervals on the stairclimber (boy did I sweat) and then 1/2 hr weight training:

Bench press
3 x 6 reps, 2x25 lb dumbbells
Incline press
3 x 6 reps, 2x25 lbs
Incline flies
2 x 6 reps, 2x12 lbs
1 x 6 reps, 2x15 lbs

Overhead tricep extensions
1 x 6 reps, 25 lbs
2 x 6 reps, 30 lbs
Tricept pushdowns
1 x 5 reps, 30 lbs
2 x 6 reps, 20 lbs

Loads of ab crunches on the swiss ball.

Lisa

Natrushka
Wed, May-01-02, 06:19
YAY! So how do you feel today? Better? Sore? Happy? Hung over ;) Hee. hee.

N

lisaf
Wed, May-01-02, 08:01
Hang over is beginning to pass...flax cereal this morning really helped. Don't think the overwhelming tired feeling can be cured by being at work so I'm just going to have to hang tight until bedtime.

Not too sore - tomorrow will be the day I find out if its gonna hurt - pecs a bit sore if I press on them though.

I'm going to try to get back this afternoon for back and bis...tomorrow back to cardio and maybe some anti-grazing yoga in the evening as I will finally have a TV. Friday is shoulders and abs and hopefully some cardio too.

Lisa

lisaf
Thu, May-02-02, 06:18
Yup - I'm a bit sore - chest and tris...but its a good kind of sore!

Back to the gym yesterday afternoon for back and biceps...was able to curl 20 lbs!!! A new high. Okay only for three reps mind you...

Lisa

lisaf
Fri, May-03-02, 06:40
Nasty tummy ache kept me out of the gym yesterday but I did do 1 hour of the most brutal yoga I had ever tried. I though I was pretty good at yoga...what I found out (to my chagrin) was that I was pretty good at beginner yoga :o

Felt great though... then I watched the first hour of BBC's Pride and Prejudice (Colin Firth -- ymmm!) which is a favourite. No snacks!

Lisa

lisaf
Sat, May-04-02, 21:41
Better late than never - hit the gym friday for a "quickie":

Shoulders:
Arnold press
3 sets, 6-8 reps, 15x2 lbs
Bent over rear delt raise (on incline):
3 sets, 4-6 reps, 20x2 lbs
Abs.

Told you it was a quickie :D

Lisa

lisaf
Tue, May-07-02, 05:06
Had such a great workout yesterday...seem to have made some strength gains in my chest!

Bench press:
1x10reps at 2x25lbs
2x4 reps at 2x30 lbs
Incline press:
3x5-6 reps at 2x25 lbs
Incline flies:
1x10 reps at 2x15 lbs
2x4 reps at 2x20 lbs (wow!!!)

Tricep pushdowns:
1x10 reps at 15 lbs
1x8reps at 20 lbs
1x6 reps at 25 lbs
Overhead extensions (both arms)
1x10 reps at 30 lbs
2x5-6 reps at 35 lbs

20 MAS on the stairclimber -- felt so good to do cardio!

Lisa

lisaf
Thu, May-09-02, 10:25
Wow! Still adding weight! I think the almost six weeks I took "off" after finishing my BFL challenge have made a big difference! So to everyone out there...I know its hard to just stop working out (believe me, I was struggling and felt SO guilty) but it can really have some incredible benefits!!!

Yesterday's workout:

Back:
Seated row:
1 x 10 reps, Level 8
1 x 8 reps, Level 9
1 x 6 reps, Level 10 - should have done all three at 10!
Lat pulldowns
1 x 10 reps, 45 lbs
2 x 6 reps, 60 lbs
Bent over row
3 x 6 reps, 25 lbs each side

Biceps:
Hammer curls
3 x 4-6 reps, 2x20 lbs
Concentration curls
3 x 3-4 reps, 20 lbs each arm

Lisa

lisaf
Thu, May-09-02, 13:06
Didn't think I'd make it to the gym today but I did...

Shoulders:
Arnold press:
3 x 4 reps, 20x2 lbs
Bent over row:
3 x 6 reps, 20x2 lbs
Abdominals:
2 x 30 crunches on the ball alternated with 30 hyperextensions.

20 MAS.

Felt good!

Lisa

lisaf
Tue, May-14-02, 16:00
Excellent workout:

Chest:
Bench press
3 x 6 reps, 30x2 lbs
Incline bench press
3x6reps, 25x2 lbs
Pec deck flies
6x 20 lbs

Triceps
Overhead extension
2x4 reps, 35 lbs
Bench dips, straight leg
1x 6 reps, own weight

30 min stair, 345 cals, Level 5

lisaf
Thu, May-16-02, 05:25
Another good gym day yesterday. Tried out the new elliptical trainer at my gym...felt like a pretty big dork for the first little while but what a workout! Felt muscles in my thighs I didn't know existed...

Back:
Superset seated rows (3x6reps, level 10) w/ reverse flies (sat on the pec deck machine backwards...3x6 reps, 20 lbs)

Biceps
Superset hammer curls (3x6 reps, 2x20 lbs) w/ preacher curls (1 arm at a time, 3x6 reps, 12 lbs)

30 min on elliptical, hill program, Level 4..could go up a level.

Lisa

lisaf
Fri, May-17-02, 08:09
Good but short workout yesterday...

Shoulders
Superset: Arnold press (3 sets, 6x20x2 lbs) w/ side lateral raises (3sets, 5-6x12x2 lbs)
Delt raises - 3 sets, 6-7 reps, 20 lbs

Some ab work.

Forgot to bring the right bra and had to leave early to run errands. Will do cardio when I go later today and some chest/triceps work.

Lisa

lisaf
Wed, May-22-02, 11:31
Had a quickie at the gym LOL...chest and triceps...

Chest -

Bench press (3 x 6 reps, 30x2 lbs) superset w/ incline flies (3 x 5-6 reps, 15x2 lbs)
Incline bench press (3 x 4-6 reps, 25x2 lbs)

Superset (2x) walking lunges (10 each leg) w/ overhead extensions (6 reps, 35 lbs) and bench dips (6) with legs out straight.

Lisa

lisaf
Tue, May-28-02, 07:23
Okay - last week turned into a non-workout nightmare week so...trying to get back on track...or rather - getting back on track this week!

Yesterday -

30 minutes on the elliptical trainer - hill program - supposedly burned 400 cals (I love that thing!)
Tried to do chest afterwards but must have completely depleted glycogen stores because i could barely move the weights. Cut my losses and hit the shower

Today:
Chest:
3x8 reps, 2x25 lbs, incline press
3x8 reps, 15x2 lbs, bench flies
Triceps pushdowns - 30 lbs, 3x6reps

20 MAS on Stairclimber (252 cals)

Lisa

lisaf
Wed, May-29-02, 06:57
Definitely starting to feel back on track...

Back:
Seated row: 3x6-8 reps, Level 9
Superset: Bent over row (3x8 reps, 25 lbs each side) and reverse flies (3x8 reps, 20 lbs on pec deck)
Biceps: Hammer curls (3x6-8 reps, 20 lbs) and 2 sets of 21's with 2x10lbs

20 min elliptical - 266 cals.

Nat - the advice to split some protein before and after was great...felt strong the whole workout...

Lisa

l_knierim
Wed, May-29-02, 14:03
I was trying to read through your log but with out having the timet o read the whole thing I got lost really fast. So here is my question what is WO schedule? Nat pointed me this way she says you are following a program close to the one I want to follow. Are you Wo everyday and spliting the areas? AAny help would be great.I do not have much just a few DB and that is all for now.I will get either a BowFlex or a gym membership[ once I get a little closer to goal, but untill then it will be slow going. I have been doing good this week about geting up and doing cardio and then either UBWO or LBWO depending on the day.

Well I need to get dinner cooked for the kids. Thanks for the help.LYnn :wave:

lisaf
Thu, May-30-02, 08:20
Hi Lynn -- thanks for dropping by.

Basically my current workout schedule is weight training upper body only and retaining my lower body tone through cardio.

For weight training...I have a 3 day split that is as follows
Day 1: Chest (3 different exercises) and triceps (2 exercises)
Day 2: Back (2-3 different exercises) and biceps (2 exercises)
Day 3: Shoulders (3 different exercises) and abs (whatever I feel like)
I do cardio whenever I feel like it...this week I've done cardio everyday so far. I'll keep it up if I have energy.

Basically, I am trying to build mass right now...so I use weights that bring me to failure within 4-6 repetitions. I do each exercise 3 times. Sometimes I will superset two chest exerises i.e. do bench press, then flies, then bench press then flies etc. on the understanding that one exercise will pre-exhaust the muscle and lead to greater gains.

For cardio...I will generally do 20-30 minutes of a hill program on either the stair climber or elliptical trainer.

Hope this helps...feel free to post any additional questions.

Today:
Shoulder day (love shoulder day!):
Arnold press (3x6 reps, 15x2 lbs) superset with side lateral raises (3x6 reps, 10x2 lbs)
Delt pulls (forward incline) - 3x6 reps, 20x2 lbs)
Abs - about 40 crunches...did an abs yoga tape last night so not to committed today!

Am definitely feeling those 21's I did for biceps yesterday...and some tightness in my back and chest!

Also - 30 min stair - Level 5 Hill program - 344 cals.

Lisa

lisaf
Sun, Jun-02-02, 07:50
But what a workout!

Danced like a fiend for 2 1/2 hours last night with my sister...sweated off 1/2 a pound. Got to bed at 4 a.m.

...oh gawd...why am I awake?

Lisa

lisaf
Mon, Jun-03-02, 17:19
Excellent fabulous workout!

Chest:
Superset 3 sets each bench press (6-8 reps, 30x2 lbs) and flies (6-8 reps, 2x15 lbs)
3 sets incline press (6-8 reps, 25x2 lbs)

Triceps:
Superset 3 sets each tricep pushdowns (6-8 reps, 30 lbs) and overhead press things whose name I can never remember (6-8 reps, 30 lbs)

Elliptical - Level 10 (of 20) - 30 min - 455 cals

I'm totally excited because our gym has new equipment...we got a leg press, seated calf raise and, oh glory! an assisted pullup and dip machine!!! So psyched for back tomorrow! Gonna superset my seated rows with pullups. Wierd things get me excited these days!

Natrushka
Mon, Jun-03-02, 18:30
I'm totally excited because our gym has new equipment...we got a leg press, seated calf raise and, oh glory! an assisted pullup and dip machine!!! So psyched for back tomorrow! Gonna superset my seated rows with pullups. Wierd things get me excited these days!

I'd be excited too! It's enough that I'm jealous now! A flyer for Goodlife came in the mail today and I actually read it before throwing it out. The lure of a leg press and pullup/dip machine is calling me to go digging through the trash now :(

N

lisaf
Tue, Jun-04-02, 20:08
Amazing workout...

Back:
Superset: seated rows (3x6-8 reps, Level 10!) with assisted pull ups (no idea how much assistance...Did 6-8)
Reverse pec deck - 3 x 20 lbs, 8 reps

Biceps:
Hammer curls (3x6-8 reps, 2x20 lbs)
2 sets of 21s with 12 lbs each

Leg extensions:
3x12 reps, 60 lbs
Leg press:
Not sure what weight (hate machines that don't tell you) but did 3 sets of ten with leg straight and 3 sets of 10 with feet turned out (inner thighs still burning!)

Lisa

lisaf
Wed, Jun-05-02, 07:46
25 minutes - elliptical level 10 - 330 cals

Had a good lower body stretch afterwards.

lisaf
Thu, Jun-06-02, 21:59
30 min elliptical - 405 cals

Shoulders:
Superset:
Arnold press (3x6-8 reps, 2x20 lbs)
Side lateral raise (3x6-8 reps, 2x12 lbs)

Abs: 2 sets of 30 on the ball

Lisa

lisaf
Thu, Jun-20-02, 05:57
Took me a week to get back to the gym...

Yesterday:
45 min elliptical (635 cals!)
Ab work

Today -

Planning a good chest and leg workout. Not sure about how much I'll be able to do in Toronto...need to check out the website and see if my hotel has a decent gym.

lisaf
Thu, Jun-27-02, 06:39
Got in some great workouts in Toronto - gym was nice but why oh why do hotels insist on putting the cardio equipment right next to the pool and whirlpool...too hot!

Today - morning run/walk - 20 minutes...hard slogging and humid out.

Planning to hit the gym this afternoon for some more cardio and a chest, tri, quads workout.

Lisa

lisaf
Sun, Jun-30-02, 20:08
Posted the diet plan in my journal - here's the SLLP for the first two weeks. Plan is to change up the routine every two weeks for the full 9 week period.

In general I take weekends off from working out (no gym!) so here is the general split:

For weeks 1 & 2:

Day 1 & 4: Chest, Tris, Abs, 45 min cardio
Chest:
Superset to failure each set (3): Bench
press and Incline flies (4-6 reps)
then 3 sets Incline press (8-10 reps)
Triceps:
Superset to failure each set (3): Two
arm overhead extensions (4-6) and
Pressdowns (4-6)
Abs:
2 sets of crunches on ball to failure

Days 2 & 5: Back, Bis, Shoulders, 30 min cardio
Back:
Superset 3 sets: Seated Row and
Pull ups (4-6 reps)
then 3 x Lat pulldowns (8-10)
Biceps
Superset 3 sets: Hammer curls and
Curls (4-6 reps)
Shoulders:
Superset: Arnold press and lateral
Raise (4-6 reps)
then 3 reps incline dumbbell pulls

Day 3: Quads, Hams, Calves
Quads:
Superset: Leg extensions and leg
press (4-6 straight - 4-6 turned out)
Superset: Hamstring curls and dead
lifts
Superset: Angled calf raise and calf
machine

So that's the plan for the first two weeks...after that it will basically be the same with different exercises every two weeks to change things up and shock the old body a bit.

Other rules include adequate sleep and water, sticking to the diet (see my journal for today) and trying (though not married to) fitting in the cardio workouts as listed.

Wish me luck please! I've been casting around kind of lost since I ended my BFL challenge in March/April and I think I'm finally on to something that I can live with for a while at least.

Lisa

lisaf
Mon, Jul-01-02, 07:44
Happy Canada Day to all the Canadians!

Unfortunately this little stat holiday means no workout today so I'll have to modify to a four day split which means that I'llonly work out each body part once this week. I'm absolutely itching to get to the gym...

Lisa

lisaf
Tue, Jul-02-02, 06:45
Will hit the gym twice today...went in this am for cardio and did 43 minutes split between the stairclimber and elliptical...according to machines burned a whopping 550 cals. Certainly felt pretty awesome! I'll update this entry this afternoon with my weigh training. This week's split will be:

Day 2 (today): Chest, tris, abs
Day 3: Back, biceps, calves
Day 4: Shoulder, hamstrings
Day 5: Quads, abs (again...can't hurt!)

Today's wo:

Chest:
Superset bench press (30 lbs x 2) with Incline flies (20 lbs x 2)
then Incline press (25 lbs x 2)
Triceps:
Superset pressdowns (35 lbs) with two arm overhead extensions (30 lbs)
Tried to do abs but was feeling an old injury during the pressdowns that was still around during the crunches so I stopped...don't want to revisit that one!

Lisa

lisaf
Wed, Jul-03-02, 07:06
Today's workout:

Back
Superset:
Seated Row - level 9 (3x, 6-8 reps)
Assisted pull ups - level 12 (3x, 4-6 reps)

Biceps:
21's - first set with 12 lbs, next two with 15 lbs

Calves
Superset:
Angled calf raise holding two 30 lb dumbbells (12 reps, 3 sets)
Calf machine (ouch!) - level 7, 10-12 reps, 3 sets

25 minutes on elliptical - 350 cals.

lisaf
Fri, Jul-05-02, 09:12
SLLP - Day 4
Shoulders:
Superset:
Arnold press - 20x2 lbs (3 sets, failed around 5 reps)
Side lateral raise - 2 sets at 12x2 lbs, 1 set at 10x2 lbs
Then:
Incline dumbbell pull - 3 sets at 20x2 lbs

Hamstrings:
Superset
Hamstring curls - 30 lbs, 3 sets
Deadlifts - holding two 30 lbs dumbbells, 3 sets

45 min elliptical - Level 10 - 515 cals

SLLP Day 5
Quads & Abs:
Superset
Leg extensions - 12 reps, 3 sets, 60 pounds
Leg press - 12 reps straight, 12 reps turned out, Level 7 (finally hit failure on quads! What a feeling!)
35 crunches on ball, 3 sets

30 min elliptical - Level 12 - 415 cals

Lisa

lisaf
Mon, Jul-08-02, 21:31
Hi the gym around 2:30 -

Chest:
Superset: dumbbell bench press (2x30 lbs for 4-6 reps), incline flies (2x20 lbs for 4-6 reps)
then: Incline bench press (2x25 lbs, for 8-12 reps)

Triceps:
2 sets, 30 lbs, two arm overhead extensions

Abs - 35 crunches on the ball x 2 sets

Could NOT do cardio - got on there and completely gave up after a minute...just NO energy!

Lisa

lisaf
Tue, Jul-09-02, 20:47
Day 9

Back:
Superset: Seated rows (Level 9 - 4-6 reps, 3x), Assisted pullups (Level 12 - 3-5 reps, 3x)
Lat pulldowns: 50 lbs, 4-6 reps, 3x

Biceps:
21's - these were tough today...used two 20 lb dumbbells...could do the halfs but not the full ones...at least not more than one or two.

Calves:
Superset 2x
Angled calf raise (35 lb dumbbells, 12 reps) and machine calf raise (Level 7, 12 reps)

Cardio - stairclimber - 25 minutes - Level 6 (335 cals)

lisaf
Wed, Jul-10-02, 09:05
Good a.m. workout:

Shoulders:
Superset Arnold presses (20x2 lbs, 4-6 reps, 3x) with side lateral raises (10x2 lbs, 4-6 reps, 3x)
then:
Incline dumbbell pull (20x2 lbs, 4-6 reps, 3x)

Hamstrings (only did 2 sets - very sore today)
Superset: Deadlifts (2x30 lbs, 10-12 reps) with Hamstring curls (30 lbs, 4-6 reps)

Elliptical trainer, 1/2 hour on hill program, 400 calories

Lisa

lisaf
Mon, Aug-19-02, 03:47
Back to BFL and the way I used to eat...just posted this to the BFL thread...

Well...after what 5 months off? LOL...today will be day one of C2...

Can't say I've been well-behaved ... but life's handed me a few changes of late that its taken some time to get over. But while I"m certainly not completely over everything I do feel its time to get re-focused and moving forward. So...weighed in, measured and ready to go!

Start weight: 168
Arms: L = 14 1/8, R = 14 3/8
Chest: 39 1/2
Bust: 40
Waist: 33 1/8
Hips: 41 1/2
Thigh: L = 25 3/8, R = 25 1/8
Calves: L = 15 /34, R = 15 1/2
LBM = 121.5
Fat mass = 46.5
BF % = 27.7%

Lisa

This a.m. is UBWO...I'll post it later!

Lisa

lisaf
Mon, Aug-19-02, 07:36
UBWO:

Chest:
Dumbbell Bench press
12 reps, 2x 15 lbs (6)
10 reps, 2x20 lbs (7)
8 reps, 2x20 lbs (8)
6 reps, 2x25 lbs (9)
Flies
12 reps, 2x15 lbs (9)
Bench: 8 reps, 2x 20 lbs (10)

Back:
Seated row:
12 reps, level 7 (7)
10 reps, level 7 (8)
8 reps, level 8 (9)
6 reps, level 9 (9)
Assisted pull up
10 reps, level 13 (10)
Row: 8 reps, level 8 (10)

Shoulders:
Arnold press
12 reps, 2x15 lbs (9)
8 reps, 2x15 lbs (10) - oops!
8 reps, 2x12 lbs (9)
4 reps, 2x12 lbs (10)
Side raises
10 reps, 2x10 lbs (10)
Arnold: 10 reps, 2x10 lbs (10)

Triceps
Overhead extensions (one dumbbell, both arms)
12 reps, 20 lbs (7)
10 reps, 20 lbs (7)
8 reps, 20 lbs (7)
6 reps, 30 lbs (8)
Bench dips
10 reps, no weight (10)
Extensions: 7 reps, 25 lbs (10)

Biceps:
Hammer curls:
12 reps, 2x10 lbs (8)
10 reps, 2x12 lbs (8)
8 rpes, 2x15 lbs (9)
4 reps, 2x15 lbs (10)
Incline curls
8 reps, 2x12 lbs (10)
Hammer: 5 reps, 2x12 lbs (10)

Have definitely lost strength but I'm also tired and didn't eat before bed...fully expect to be sore tomorrow!

Lisa

itsjoyful
Mon, Aug-19-02, 22:29
Hey there sweetie! Lookin' good. Don't ya just love having structure? I'd type more, but my chest and bi's are so sore, I can't lift my arms. Rick had to cut my cantalope for me!
Have fun tomorrow night and save me come cheesecake!
Peace,
Bren

lisaf
Tue, Aug-20-02, 07:25
Oh man Bren...I hear you on the pain thing...I hurt from just above my breasts, up over my shoulders and down to mid-back...not to mention the stuff radiating down my arms...

But its ALL good!

Brutal cardio on the elliptical - did 20 MAS with a little wrinkle added for fun...cool down was more gradual...so did my Level 10...then down a level each minute and then finished off with two minutes at a 5. According to machine I burned 375 cals...LOVE that thing!

Lisa

lisaf
Wed, Aug-21-02, 06:24
Hamstrings
Deadlifts
12 reps, 15x2 lbs (5)
10 reps, 20x2 lbs (6)
8 reps, 25x2 lbs (7)
6 reps, 30x2 lbs (8)
Standing curls
12 reps, level 4 each leg (8)
Deadlifts
14 reps, 2x25 lbs (9)

Calves
Angled raise
12 reps, 2x25 lbs (5)
10 reps, 2x25 lbs (5)
8 reps, 2x30 lbs (7)
6 reps, 2x35 lbs (8)
Seated calf raise
12 reps, level 5 (9)
Angled raise
20 reps, 2x30 lbs (9 1/2)

Quads
Leg press
12 reps, level 8 (6)
10 reps, level 9 (7)
8 reps, level 10 (9)
6 reps, level 11 (9)
Squats (hate them hate them hate them)
12 reps, 2x25 lbs (9)
Leg press
15 reps, level 10 (9)

Good stretch...had done abs after cardio yesterday (just some ball crunches) so no need today.

It finally occurs to me (okay...I'm really not that smart that its taken so long) that "failure" for LBWO is really a different sensation than for my UBWO. For upper body - failure seems to happen because the muscle is completely depleted of energy and I just can't lift again. In my LBWO, its more a sensation of complete and utter discomfort. I could probably do a million leg extensions if I could live with the intense burning sensation.

Lisa