PDA

View Full Version : Ramblings

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

NoLogo
Wed, Jan-05-05, 19:56
This isn't a post intended to offend anyone, it's rather just an invitation for comments. I read 'JPaleo's final post and its replies, and the thing is that stress itself can often be far more devastating than adding a few extra carbs occasionally. It's sort of the 'tyanny of choice'. If we were all living long ago, we wouldn't have any choice. There would be no commericials, no organizations, no grower's asscoiations rallying for their product, no supermarkets. So, if you're super happy eating low carb and feel no compulsions to have a piece of toast everything's cool. Otherwise you're probably contributing too heart disease just as much as carbs. Also, raw foodists (strict vegans) are essentially low carbers too. It's essentially what would have existed in earlier times as well, in that nothing is cooked ( no potato consumption obviously, no unsprouted grains ). Actually eating almonds or whatever nut fills you up really nicely. Also the whole B12 question ( whether or not it actually is required ) can be solved with manure. This is how animals get B12 as it is a bacteria excreted in well...
The thing is that in the early stages of any diet, the scale is relied on as a indicator of success versus long term health. But, and I'm not endorsing Peta, or Atkins.com, or Idaho, you have to include vitamin and mineral rich vegetables and to a lesser extent fruit. I know this sounds self evident and I may be called a troll, but it's essential that your mindset evolves ( after the weight loss ) to encompass a high level of nutrition. Yes, I realize, most of us do, but some don't. Stress is a huge depressant.

JPaleo
Thu, Jan-06-05, 15:44
Hi NoLogo, I agree about the stress thing. I have been working on my "no dieting" thing now for a few months and I feel much better. I am no longer panicking about eating or stressing and feeling guilty about what I eat. I eat what I want when I want it.

But more important, I am no longer stressing about food. And I think the stress I use to have around food would have led to health problems far faster than a few extra carbs.

I feel more in tune with myself too because I am letting my internal cues tell me what my body wants (nad I am trusting them). Sometimes it's bread. Sometimes it's fruit. Sometimes it's meat. But I feel much more even and calm now.

-J

Pogojo
Fri, Jan-14-05, 13:45
Its important to have the transition from stressing about losing weight to being honest about it. I have not been dieting very long yet, but I have been trying to changemy eating habits for a while and I was stressed at times due to really craving or wanting to eat other foods. I have found though that as long as I keep to what I have decided then the stress can be transformed and channeled into something else. And that is belief in myself to continue. Now, I allow myself to eat a larger variety of things, even that which is not necessarily healthy but in moderation because I think about it and respond accordingly. But most of all, I am calm about it and don't get stressed. Its a matter of time I think and of focusing on what you want out of dieting.

littlejohn
Fri, Jan-14-05, 14:26
Nologo

One of the most stressful things in life is being overweight. I am less stressed now than since college. And I find Atkins to be non stressful infact stress reducing. I just don't eat those foods and I feal great - no stress there.

Wyvrn
Fri, Jan-14-05, 18:26
One of the most stressful things in life is being overweight. I am less stressed now than since college. And I find Atkins to be non stressful infact stress reducing. I just don't eat those foods and I feal great - no stress there.

True, low-carbing especially on natural foods eliminates a lot of stress-producing products, but its also rich in foods that actively combat stress because they are potent anti-oxidants and/or anti-inflammatories, like saturated fats and cholesterol. My favorite stress-reducing comfort food is eggs. Three hen (or two duck) eggs soft boiled and mashed up with salt, pepper and a couple of tablespoons of fresh melted butter. Scrummy! :yum:

Wyv

Kristine
Sat, Jan-15-05, 13:33
Just for the record, raw foodists aren't necessarily vegan. Some advocate eating raw eggs and dairy.

I don't think it's fair to extrapolate JPaleo's experience onto others. Some of us are perfectionists and aren't able to change their lifestyle without getting into obsessive thinking. Some of us have emotional eating issues. That's not necessarily a problem you can pin on low carbing, or any other eating plan, for that matter. The same could have happened if she made an effort to take up a sport or learn a language.

Low carb has actually eliminated most of my food stress. When I was hypoglycemic, I was OBSESSED with food. Now I'm finally satisfied and can get on with life.

Duparc
Tue, Feb-01-05, 18:34
How can 'living long ago' be equated with lack of choice?

Men and women are social beings and in any social grouping there is always the 'pecking-order' both formal and informal. With the 'pecking-order' comes pressure to accept ideas (commercials). Within any group there is structure (organisation). There are also sub-groups (associations) vieing for one's support.

Within social structures stress develops.

Those of us of the 21st century follow in the footsteps of our ancestors. There is no other option. We continue to be cave-dwellers, although, today, we build our caves. The stone-tools of antiquity are today's technology. Medieval battles continue to be fought in the corridors-of-power. Emotionally and intellectually we remain knee-deep in the primordial-mud.

Dieting arises from expediency.

Kathleen1
Thu, Feb-24-05, 01:34
Well said Duparc!!!

grandpa
Thu, Feb-24-05, 09:52
Duparc,
Fascinating. You should consider writing if you haven't already. I would like to explore what you are saying in more detail.

Nancy LC
Thu, Feb-24-05, 10:28
no potato consumption obviously

You can eat raw potatoes. They taste... hmmm... interesting.

But yes, I've often felt like the sheer multitude of choices we have today is more than we can cope with sometimes. Life could be much simpler. It is rather amusing that with the amazing array of foods out there, most people eat pretty much the same thing all the time.