PDA

View Full Version : A quick question on Vitamin supplements

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Bruce
Thu, Oct-04-01, 20:51
I am planning on picking up some vitamins. Can some one please tell me what is the recommened
vitamins needed for this diet, and what multi-vitamin does everyone use. The only one I had at home had sugar in and I didn't want to take it.

Thanks in advance for any help

gpop529
Thu, Oct-04-01, 21:26
Hi, I havnt been on this long but heres what I take
One a day multi plus iron

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...mium+picolinate

terri in Baudette you can check this thread too !

Bruce
Fri, Oct-05-01, 11:10
Thank you.

For a start I am going to get a Multi-vitamin, Vit C, Potassium, and Calcium. If anyone has any others suggestions please feel free to respond.

Natrushka
Fri, Oct-05-01, 11:16
Hi Bruce, I would suggest two things. Get that potassium from a product called "NuSalt" or "HalfSalt" and make sure your Calcium has Magnesium as well:

Potassium :

When starting a LC WOE you experience a flushing out of the excess water your body has been holding on to. Along with the water lost, are sodium and potassium. Tablets generally contain 99g of potassium, and you'd have to swallow a lot to get any benefit. However "NoSalt" or "NuSalt", which are primarily potassium chloride, can do the trick with just an 1/8 tsp. (528 mg potassium). Mixing it with water twice a day for a couple weeks will do the trick during Induction ... then once a day after the initial 2 weeks.

Magnesium (& Calcium) :

Magnesium is another mineral you need to supplement. Our diets tend to be very poor in magnesium, which is not good; magnesium plays a role in over 325 biochemical reactions in our bodies. It is magnesium that controls the fate of potassium and calcium in the body. If magnesium is insufficient potassium and calcium will be lost in the urine and calcium will be deposited in the soft tissues (kidneys, arteries, joints, brain, etc.) The RDA for Mag is 400 - 420 mg day (depending on age). For calcium it's 1000 - 1500 mg a day (also dependent on age and whether you are pregnant or breast feeding).

Magnesium aids in relieving muscle cramping. You can get a good calcium / magnesium supplement that will help with the cramps along with other things. The ratio is usually 2:1 (Calcium to Magnesium) and be sure it's in a chelated form - citrate / gluconate / malate as it is more completely absorbed than the carbonate form. The chelate forms are bound to a protein molecule, which helps carry the mineral through the intestinal lining into the blood stream. I take one cal/mag supplement with every meal and another an hour before bed. One of the side effects of magnesium is improved quality of sleep.

HTH
Nat

Bruce
Fri, Oct-05-01, 11:46
Thanks again for the help.