PDA

View Full Version : Help! I have GOT to do this!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

paris2moon
Thu, Dec-30-04, 07:41
Throughout my life, I have been described as "looking like a model." I have always been skinny and had a nice, flat stomach. Unfortunately, I woke up one day (:lol:) and discovered that I was 42 years old and weighed 189 pounds--more than I weighed during any of my pregnancies! At Christmas a few days ago, each of my siblings and parents took me aside and gently informed me that I might want to think about dieting and exercisizing.
I know that I am a carbohydrate junkie and I want to give Atkins a try. I have done it before and easily lost weight. I gave up before because I have to cook for my family (an overweight husband who refuses to give up his two glasses of wine each night, a 13 year old vegetarian who eats few veggies and ONLY carbs, and a 10 year old who likes great food and wants to be a chef--luckily she is very athletic and so she is beginning to thin out with all of her exercisizing).
My husband quit his fantastic and very lucrative job a year ago (because he was tired of being a lawyer) and has not looked for another (but he won the country club golf championship!). Obviously, the bills are piling up and we may need to move from our home of the last 12 years. I am on all kinds of anti-depressants, which I think contribute to my weight gain. I am afraid to go off of them, however. My husband and I have been in marriage counseling, but the bottom line is that I want out of the relationship. This is a very stressful situation and not one that immediately shouts, "Good time to change eating habits!" If I do not, however, who knows how big I'll get. I don't even realize that I am eating!
I am very sensitive to my daughters' weights, but I do not want them to think of themselves as "fat." I would love to be very sneaky and begin making low-carb meals for the whole family--but I don't know how to sneak that past a vegetarian!
The good news is that I adore my job and I am very successful career-wise, so its not so bleak!
I have never participated in this kind of correspondance, but I think I am going to need a TON of support. It is inspiring to look at how much weight and inches some of you have lost!
Melanie

angeljandy
Thu, Dec-30-04, 11:18
Hello and Welcome! Good luck with your program!!! It sounds as though you have a good attitude and that is definitely what you need to succeed in a diet program. :wave:

Talla
Thu, Dec-30-04, 11:40
Welcome to the forum Melanie. Start a journal, you'll find alot of people stop by to encourage, and support you.

bajangrl32
Thu, Dec-30-04, 12:27
There are many stressors in your life right now so just jump in and get your feet wet working on a better you in 05'.

As for the kids they go through so many phases with eating habits, be honest as to why you are eating differently and encourage them to try some of your meals.

As for the vegetarian, low carbs rely on good veggies so the adjustment should be minimal for her.

Its great that with such a full plate you are looking to work on yourself. It's also great that you can find enjoyment in your work.

Good luck and start a journal soon.

LukeA
Thu, Dec-30-04, 14:38
Good luck from me as well! and welcome. :)

There are many vegetarian lcers around here, and most of them rely on eating plenty of eggs, and tofu. Along with lots of non starchy vegetables, and lower sugar fruits. I'm not vegetarian, but I eat vegetarian meals about 3/4 of the time lately, and its really not hard at all to make very tastey meals. Karen Barnaby's book the Low carb gourmet has several excellent recipes suitable for vegetarians and non vegetarians alike in it, and I would really reccomend it.

4beans4me
Thu, Dec-30-04, 20:10
http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage35/18.gif