PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Free Candy

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Steph76237
Fri, Dec-24-04, 15:23
There is all this new candy that claims to be sugar free. If all the carbs come from sugar alcohols than does that mean they have zero net carbs? Can someone clarify. Am I allowed to just eat unlimited amounts of this candy?

kidnj
Fri, Dec-24-04, 21:31
Sugar alcohols supposedly have no effect on your blood glucose, HOWEVER, they have been responsible for the stalls of many a soul here. Also, from what I understand, they're pretty hard on the GI system. As far as eating an unlimited amount goes -- I'd most definitely count the calories and wouldn't be eating it out of control. As for my own take -- I still count those sugar alcohols as carbs. I think it's just best to get out of the habit of snacking on any kind of junk, rather than just replacing it with other junk... but that's just my opinion, so take it or leave it. :lol:

d.

astrocreep
Fri, Dec-24-04, 23:01
The sugar free candies are perfectly fine. It is def NOT advisable to eat tons of them, but a 1-2 pieces periodically is perfectly fine. I'd reserve them for special occasions though. Like when you're going out with your friends and everybody's got popcorn and gummies and etc, you could have your own movie snacks. Sugar alcohols can stall people but if you eat them only on special occasions you'll be perfectly fine =)

Lisa N
Sat, Dec-25-04, 11:41
There is all this new candy that claims to be sugar free. If all the carbs come from sugar alcohols than does that mean they have zero net carbs? Can someone clarify. Am I allowed to just eat unlimited amounts of this candy?

Steph, since you mentioned in another post that you're having difficulty with portion control, I'd definitely encourage you to avoid things such as this like the plague. As an occasional (defined as maybe once a week) treat (and limited to one or two pieces only) is fine, but not in unlimited amounts on a daily basis. There are far healthier things for you to be spending your daily carb allowance on than low carb junk food.
Aside from the nasty gastrointestinal effects that sugar alcohols seem to produce in many people (and one time overindulging will tell you painfully whether you are one of those people or not), some people also seem better able to digest the sugar alcohols and so must count the full carb count whenever they decide to indulge or they find themselves stalled in a hurry (or worse yet, gaining). The Atkins website suggests that if you do have a treat containing sugar alcohol, that it be limited to no more than 20 grams of sugar alcohol.
Since you're considering re-doing induction, leave the sugar-free candies off the menu for now and focus instead of whole, unprocessed meats and veggies instead. I think you'll be a lot happier with the results. :)

steveFL
Sun, Dec-26-04, 02:49
Did anyone else pick up their first bag of Reese's cups or sugar-free Hershey's and read "This could have a laxative effect"

And think to themselves...great! This tastes much better than flaxseed!!!

That's my use for them.

Lisa N
Sun, Dec-26-04, 13:18
Steve, if it were only a laxative effect, I could live with that. But the one time I overindulged in sugar alcohols, I was literally doubled up with gas pains...no fun and not an experience I particularly wish to repeat. :p

astrocreep
Sun, Dec-26-04, 14:03
Lisa/Steve how many pieces of candy do you eat before you get the laxative/gas problems?

Lisa N
Sun, Dec-26-04, 15:17
Lisa/Steve how many pieces of candy do you eat before you get the laxative/gas problems?

For me, it wasn't intentional. I had simply forgotten that I had already eaten a Pure DeLite candy bar already that day and had another before I remembered...too late. :p
From personal experience, that 20 grams of sugar alcohol suggestion on the Atkins website is a good one; anything more than that in a day (and it doesn't have to be all at one time, either) produces discomfort for me.
So...to answer your question, it depends on how much sugar alcohol is in each piece, but I now pay careful attention to the amount on the rare occasions I do have a piece of sugar-free candy.

ScottT
Sun, Dec-26-04, 15:55
For me it is Russell Stovar low carb candies. Only .02 carbs per piece and they come in a variety of flavors.

astrocreep
Sun, Dec-26-04, 19:54
Oh ok Lisa, LoL. Cause when I occasionally have a piece of LC candy its one mini peanut butter cup, maybe 2, but that's it. I think like 4 pieces is the serving.

I like russel stover candies the best as well. Peanut butter cups are excellent, in fact they're even better than the reeses' ones.

FYI SCOTT: Target has a 50% off sale so you can get the gift box of RS LC candies for 3.99, reduced from 7.99. Good deal!