PDA

View Full Version : Hey, what's for breakfast?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

SugarBaker
Wed, Dec-22-04, 21:13
:) Hello all, I introduced myself on the "Newbie Board", but I wanted to ask the seasoned veterens over here what you all have for breakfast. This is a major plauge for me when low carb dieting. Like so many others after about a week I cannot bear to look at another egg! :lol: In the past eggs deffinately induced nausea. I have decided to try and stick to the "old fashioned way of eating" this time instead of so much of the bars, candy ect. With my willpower-or lack of there of- I continuously sabotaged myself. I also will try and eat more fish and seafood, even though it's expensive. I work in a grocery store so can watch for the sales. Thank you for any breakfast ideas and I look forward to talking with you all.

SugarBaker
Wed, Dec-22-04, 21:33
Bump, bump. forgive me you guys! I am finding my way around this board or trying to. Grrrr!

astrocreep
Wed, Dec-22-04, 23:40
Hey there! Have you tried eggs in all different ways?? I honestly haven't gotten sick of them yet. Well I'm sick of scrambled eggs, LoL. I just make a simple 2 egg cheese omlette.

But there's no reason why you gotta eat traditional breakfast foods for breakfast. Some people eat left overs, salads, etc. Have you tried having 3-4 strips of bacon? Or a sausage or two? Might give you some time away from the eggs so you can start reintroducing them 2-3x a week and hopefully won't get sick of them.

There's alot of people on here who have dessert for breakfast. Some eat a pumpkin bake. I believe that's canned pureed pumpkin with spices, splenda, alil cream, and an egg or so (just like pumpkin pie filling) and then they bake it and scoop it into a bowl like some kinda pudding. Others eat a chocolate cake made with almond flour. You could have a slice of LC cheesecake.

Well I hope I've helped you!

Lobstergal
Wed, Dec-22-04, 23:41
I sometimes have eggs. I like them. Other times I have sausages I make myself from scratch or I will pop open a can of tuna or salmon and sometimes I just have leftovers from the night before.
Nothing like a cold pork chop. :)

Dylan
Wed, Dec-22-04, 23:43
I would check out the Kitchen forum for some amazing breakfast idea. Sorry- i cannot help you- personally I love eggs! Remember that you don't have to limit yourself to the typical "breakfast" either. Chicken, tuna salads are quick and tasty too. Many people are not breakfast people but soon believe that it IS so important to curb your appetite if you are more of a night time eater and starts that metabolism workin'.
Good Luck,

pad
Thu, Dec-23-04, 03:16
I notice you all mention eating sausages ??. All the sausages I have seen are between 6 - 10 g of carbs per sausauge. Is there a special type of sausage you are all eating ?

Jiggerz
Thu, Dec-23-04, 08:47
I'm not sure on the sausages, I try to stay away... but I do indulge in sugar-free bacon.

Typically for me, my breakfast is either a few deviled eggs, or 2 scrambled eggs with a little cheese on top. Some days bacon, some days not. Mock Danish is amazing... its in the Recipe section under breakfasts' suitable for Induction. Plus.. leftovers from dinner the night before comes in handy sometimes.

Lobstergal
Thu, Dec-23-04, 10:19
I notice you all mention eating sausages ??. All the sausages I have seen are between 6 - 10 g of carbs per sausauge. Is there a special type of sausage you are all eating ?

I make my own sausage patties from a recipe I have.

nets33
Thu, Dec-23-04, 10:37
Why eat traditional breakfast food for breakfast?

I've eaten everything and anything.... steak, chicken, etc. for breakfast. If you like it for lunch why not for breakfast?

I would agree with the others to take a look at the recipe section. There are lots of good ideas there.

lianna
Thu, Dec-23-04, 12:34
I get regular breakfast sausage, like Owens or Jimmy Dean. I just looked at mine and it lists 0 carbs for 2 patties. Just be sure to always check labels in the grocery store. The mock french toast is amazing, even my husband likes that with some lowcarb syrup! Sometimes I will have chicken salad on some pork rinds for breakfast. (canned chunk chicken, real mayo-check label, dill relish-with a packet of Splenda-as sweet relish substitute, and some finely diced celery) :yum: It is super easy and fast to make. Check out the induction recipes here, there are some really great recipes! And good luck!

SugarBaker
Thu, Dec-23-04, 15:20
Thanks everyone. I will also check out the recipe board. I am anxious to get on with this but know that Christmas must come and go first. I don't have that kind of will power! lol. Merry Christmas everyone.

nutsnseeds
Thu, Dec-23-04, 17:00
This morning I had my first bowl muffin - fast, easy versatile - it will be a staple. Check the recipe section for instructions.

astrocreep
Thu, Dec-23-04, 17:01
Yeah all my sausages are pretty low carb too, max 1g carbs per serving. Sausages like italian sausages, southern, country-style, brats, etc are all the lowest in carbs.

I guess if you wanted to you COULD make your own. Ground pork, alil extra ground pork fat (usually fat back), sage, garlic powder, etc.

Lobstergal
Thu, Dec-23-04, 17:17
I guess if you wanted to you COULD make your own. Ground pork, alil extra ground pork fat (usually fat back), sage, garlic powder, etc.

I make mine with just ground pork and spices.

black57
Thu, Dec-23-04, 22:13
Eggs do not equal low carb or Atkins. Many who begin this way of eating mistakenly believe that eggs are the number 1 weightloss food. It isn't...it is just one of many foods that you can eat. I like eggs and had no problem eating them at all, but if I did have a problem with them I wouldn't eat them. Eat only foods that you like but do taste other foods to add a wider variety. I love having fish for breakfast even as a little girl. If I didn't like typical American breakfast foods I would have a piece of fish and buttered vegetables and a couple of avocado slices.I also love steak so I would make a similar meal with steak and mushrooms. I love chicken salad. I would like to add that a sliced hard boiled egg with a little Kens Creamy Ceasar dressing is also quite tasty. You can buy bulk ground pork and add your favorite seasonings. You can also have a pork chops cubed and cooked with diced veggies and a little cheese and cream and you have a breakfast casserole. :yum:

Your choices are limited only by your imagination. ;)

Enjoy your journey,
Black57

cakesgalor
Thu, Dec-30-04, 11:30
Hi SugarBaker! I can totally relate! I felt just sick with the amount of eggs I had to look at in the morning (and I live on a hobby farm!!!) so when Induction was over (thank goodness!) I had oatmeal! Just 1/2 cup dry (I use old-fashioned flakes) with 1/2 tsp Splenda, then pour water (from the tap) till it covers the oatmeal, plastic wrap over bowl top, then into the microwave at '2-2-2'. The hot bowl would come out, sometimes I'd add frozen strawberries, I'd then pour over some Vanilla Soy milk (the silk kind?) and it would be filling, warm and actually okay tasting!
I am really a big bagel/toast fan and missed that with the diet. Since I've lost a lot of weight with Atkins, I knew I didn't want to screw it up so the oatmeal really helped!
Hope this helps you!
Now, after getting a wonderful egg poaching pan at Christmas, I'll do the Eggs Benny thing for a total treat (on the weekends) and my family thinks they are soooooo lucky! But, we sure aren't going to do that everyday! It's a nicer change to the old scrambled/fried/omelet thing!
Good luck! Debbie

PML
Mon, Jan-03-05, 08:17
Cakesgalor,

Eggs Benedict was always one of my favorites. (This was always my requested Birthday breakfast, growing up.) If you weren't aware, Thomas makes a lower carb english muffin that is not bad. The carbs are still a bit high for the whole muffin but, if you are making eggs benedict, half a muffin wouldn't be bad at all.

MaryToU
Mon, Jan-03-05, 08:29
Today I have 1/2 ricotta cheese with 1 pk splenda, and a few strawberries mixed in. Now we all know strawberries are not on induction. Normally I would add instead of strawberries, 1 tsp cinnamon or 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa with 1/2 vanilla extract. Good zapped for about 30 seconds.

RCFletcher
Mon, Jan-03-05, 09:56
You can make a very nice low carb 'porridge' with ground or cracked flax seed, some wheat bran and some soy isolate powder. Pour on boiling water, stir and leave to sit for several minutes. Delicious with splenda and cream.