PDA

View Full Version : hard time getting in ketoses

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

dbosquez
Tue, Dec-21-04, 03:00
I 'am having a hard time getting in the state of ketoses can someone help me please..

Rosebud
Tue, Dec-21-04, 05:19
Hi Big Dog,

How about posting some of your regular menus? We will be more likely to be able to help if we know what you are eating. :)

Rosebud:rose:

dbosquez
Tue, Dec-21-04, 12:45
Hi rosebud, Some of the foods are eggs,lot of salads,all kinds of meats,atkins protein bars and shakes,low carb suaces .Some of this stuff i dont have in the induction phase.Maybe to much protein? thanks Rosebud..

jagbender
Tue, Dec-21-04, 14:57
Drop the low carb bars syrups and shakes.
Are you working out?
How do you know you are not in ketosis?
Ketones show up in the blood before they show up in the urine.
There are glucose disposal agents that you can take to help get into ketosis. Vanadyl sulphate, ALA, Chromium.
Good old cardio exercise works well.
But reducing carbs below 40-50g a day will do it.
FWIW

Jag

Rosebud
Tue, Dec-21-04, 16:38
Yes, I'm inclined to agree with Jag about dropping the "products" for a bit to see what happens. Quite a large number of members here have found they are stalled by eating products which contain sugar alcohols.

Of course you could well be in ketosis, and just not showing it on the stix. ;) You can find more info about ketosis and the strips if you click here. (http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips011.html)

Personally, I find the strips to be a waste of time and money. Weight/size loss is a much better indication of how well you are doing. If you have had no loss on the scales, have you measured yourself? maybe you are losing fat while gaining a little muscle.

Cheers, mate.

Roz

Lunasphere
Tue, Dec-21-04, 16:56
I wish I never ate those Atkins bars when I started induction. They definitely slowed my progress in the beginning. After I got rid of them I started to lose more. There are too many sugar alcohols in those bars to ingore. Get rid of the bars and see what happens. Occasionally I will have a shake that has like 5 carbs (this includes the sugar alcohols). I use the kind that you mix yourself. But since you are starting out you may want to wait on the shakes until later so you can fit in more solid food.

I wish you the best! And you CAN do this!!!

lianna
Tue, Dec-21-04, 19:18
I actually like the strips because when I think/know that I am in ketosis they confirm it. You have already done great on the weight loss and you must be doing something right! I would also suggest(as the previous posts have) cutting out anything that isnt 'real food' for a while. Just meats, salads, veggies, etc... All that so called low-carb convience stuff is the death of many. Good luck, you'll be back on track in no time.

dbosquez
Tue, Dec-21-04, 22:56
Thanks on replys, I'am working out 3 to 4 times a week,i do cardio and take a class called bodypump at golds gym.I need to drop the low carb snacking.. thanks to you all..

lianna
Wed, Dec-22-04, 09:58
Out of curiosity, what part of Texas are you in? I am about 20 miles from the border here in south texas, and I tell you it has been very hard to change my favorite foods. Really missing my bean and egg tacos, and charro or refried beans in general. But guessing they contributed a large part to the weight! Again, keep up the great progress!

jagbender
Wed, Dec-22-04, 11:42
Hey big dog, If you are lifting you may want to consider a Cyclical ketogenic diet.

Jag

dbosquez
Wed, Dec-22-04, 12:07
HI lianna, I LIVE IN GOOD OLD SAN ANTONIO.YES!! I AM ALSO MISSING TORTILLAS,BEANS ,MEXICAN FOOD, THE HARD PART OF IT ALL IS SAN ANTONIO HAS THE BEST OF IT.BUT THATS A BIG PART OF MY LOVE HANDLES AND BELLY! IF I'M IN THE MOOD FOR MEXICAN FOOD I GO TO A PLACE CALLED JALISCO DE GUADALAJARA.THEY A LOT VARIETY FOR LOW CARBING. THANKS LIANNA...

jagbender
Wed, Dec-22-04, 12:22
I have been to SA. Had a great time on the riverwalk!

I have a favorite place in Houston called La Casona.
Great margaritas and food

Jag

dbosquez
Wed, Dec-22-04, 12:27
What's Up Jag. If You can Please Give Some Info On Cyclical Ketogentic Diet.. Thanks

jagbender
Wed, Dec-22-04, 13:04
There are several types of CKD's out there.
I have tried a few. I have to run right now but you can look here for a start
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=186661

I will try to drop you a PM when you get 25 posts.
Got to run. Will chat later

See ya

Jag

ZoesMom
Thu, Dec-23-04, 22:01
Yay!! Fellow Texans!! I sure miss my breakfast tacos...but I must say I feel much better not having them than when I did. If all else fails, and I can't get them off my mind...I satisfy the need with a low carb tortilla and some legal ingredients (eggs, turkey bacon, etc.) and it always does the trick.

dbosquez
Thu, Dec-23-04, 22:50
Howdy Zoesmom, Your just a skip and hop away from me.I love 6th street.. Big bog

laurelx1
Fri, Dec-24-04, 08:59
Hey big dog, If you are lifting you may want to consider a Cyclical ketogenic diet.

Jag
Jag
I'm curious about the suppliments. I'm female obviously, but I wonder if I would benefit with their help of staying in/ getting into ketosis.

Any thoughts?

jagbender
Tue, Dec-28-04, 12:05
There are a few supplements that will help you get into Ketosis.
BUT the best way is cardio and keeping carbs below 40g a day.
Jag

bajangrl32
Tue, Dec-28-04, 14:44
Hey Big Dog,

Just wanted to drop in and say hello to my fellow neighbor here in san antone. Check those ratios and try to keep the fat ratio at least above 60%. It took me 3 weeks to show on the stix and that was at induction levels. I also eliminated my decaf coffee and increased the fat to 60% and it showed positive the next day.

So keep in mine you may be there but not showing or keep playing with the ratios until the stix turns purple :D.

Michelle :wave: