PDA

View Full Version : stackers

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

spygirl
Sat, Dec-18-04, 11:23
What is the opinion on using stackers to assist weight loss?

I have read about a formula using ephedra, caffeine tabs, and aspirin that is supposed to raise the body temp and give energy (duh, with the ephidrine and caffeine) to assist in weight loss.

I know that Atkins recommends limiting caffeine but the stackers would actually increase caffeine consumption. Does anyone have experience with this..has it helped, hurt, etc?

LukeA
Sat, Dec-18-04, 11:30
I've used several brands in the past. Ended up hospitalized after using one of them. Be very wary, ephedra can be extremelly dangerous with some people. Also know that even ephedra free formulations often contain "bitter orange", which is known to have some of the same type of side effects as ephedra.

But YMMV.

pammiejoe6
Sat, Dec-18-04, 11:32
i dont recommend it at all!

mplayer
Sat, Dec-18-04, 11:33
Isn't ephedra illegal now in the US?

spygirl
Sat, Dec-18-04, 11:37
it is still widely available at convenience stores...

Unholy
Sat, Dec-18-04, 12:18
Pure ephedra is I believe illegal, however what you purchase in the convience stores is called Ephedra Electrolytes (something like that lol) same benefits without the problems (supposedly) I used a combination of Stacker 2's and the convience store Ephedra tablets for a while and was ALLWAYS jittery but was losing weight.

kidnj
Sat, Dec-18-04, 13:09
I would definitely recommend AGAINST it -- permanent weightloss only works when you work for it, and stackers, ephedra and any other quick fix will not give you honest results and you won't end up changing your life the way you need to in order to commit to this for life. Best of luck to you!
d.

taming
Sat, Dec-18-04, 14:16
Whoa kiddo.

Take a moment and think about this. In another thread, you asked about low carb plans that help with insulin resistance, which is, as you know, a metabolic disorder.

Now, without even attempting to follow one of the plans that might repair your damaged metabolism, you are asking about short cuts that are supposed to work by screwing around with metabolic processes.

Let's do first steps first. Choose a plan. Read everything you can about how the plan actually works and what you are supposed to do about both diet and exercise while following the plan. Get through some period of time (weeks or months, not days or minutes) following the plan as perfectly as you can. Then look to see where you are and how this is working for you.

spygirl
Sat, Dec-18-04, 14:25
taming,

I appreciate your replies. That is why I am asking questions.

I didn't say that I am looking for a short cut that will allow me to avoid following a plan. If stackers were something commonly used by successful low carbers on this forum to make their plans more effective, I wanted to know. If they are something bad and discouraged, then I wanted to know that also.

taming
Sat, Dec-18-04, 14:27
They are not commonly used here.

Locomojo30
Sun, Dec-26-04, 04:40
Okay for my 2 cents. Ephedra is the base for a drug called Crystal Meth, and for this reason you have to be very carefull. Ephedra has been found to be dangerous to the heart. I used to use ephedra tablets alot a few years back as a way to get by and when I finally stopped, the weight flew back on and then some. I've also cut back on caffeine and I strongly encourage you to do so too.

One more thing about stackers (Yellow Jackets) they also disturb your sleep rhythms. If you enjoy sleep then this another reason to avoid them.

jeffrey81
Fri, Mar-18-05, 09:57
What about the ef free stackers. does the caffeine amout disrupt low carbs?

ZoesMom
Fri, Mar-18-05, 16:38
Besides the dangerous side effects and the possibility of serious damage to your body, they're just another false sense of energy. They're not real....and as soon as you don't take any, not only do you not have any real energy, but you're so run down you can hardly function.
I prefer and recommend working for some real energy. Do this thing right....exercise, follow a low carb plan....and the outcome will be true,clean,healthy energy. Good luck.

mio1996
Sun, Mar-20-05, 08:33
Most of those formulas use a variety of stimulants along with blood thinners to create their effect. They also generally have warnings on the back that basically TELL you they are harmful and should not be taken by hardly anyone (anyone with a family history of heart disease, hypertention, diabetes, etc. How many people don't?!) IMHO any logical person will conclude they cannot be healthy. Those who choose to use them anyway are seriously gambling with their health. Weightloss for the sake of weightloss isn't necessarily healthy or helpful! At it's core, the lc WOE is about improving health and/or losing weight by MAKING HEALTHIER CHOICES.