PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Muffins

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Pages : [1] 2

Nancy LC
Sun, Dec-12-04, 17:44
This isn't a recipe so much as a concept. The basic idea is you mix flour-ish things with a SF syrup, like Da Vinci and Torani and add in possible other things like coconut, berries or peanut butter and then you microwave for 2 minutes and get something that resembles a muffin in texture... or it might resemble a cobbler or a bread pudding, depending on what you do. But whatever, this has become my favorite breakfast and dessert. The fun thing is, you mix it, cook it and eat it out of the same bowl. Thus the name, "bowl muffin". It's a single serving unless you're altruistic.

Basically a "bowl muffin" is my quick and easy invention based on MammaC's berry cobbler recipe. It's about 1/4-1/3 cup of some kind of flour-ish thing mixed with about the same amount of liquid and, depending on what the flour-ish thing is, you want to add some baking powder to make it poof a bit. And depending on what you use it can taste like a cobbler, a muffin, a hot bread pudding or a brownie or coconut bread pudding or whatever you can concoct! It's so easy and versatile.

Ok, so for the flourish things I use either:
Carbquik
Almond meal
flax meal
1/4-1/2 tsp baking powder

Or a combination of the above. I tend to go for the meals when my plumbing is being balky.

If you use carbquik you can omit the baking powder because it already has leavening.

Carbquik gives you a more bready, doughy texture whereas the courser meals give you a more crumbly texture, more like a bran muffin. And of course they give you TONS of fiber.

So some of my favorites so far are:

1/8 cup CQ + 1/8 Cup Flax in a bowl you can microwave, like a cereal bowl -- Mix with a little less than 1/4 cup of some tasty fruit flavored sugar free syrup (I've been using black cherry). Add enough other liquid so that the batter is about the consistency of waffle batter, the more liquid you use, the more like bread pudding it'll be. Then add in a couple of tablespoons worth of some sort of frozen berry, like raspberries or blackberries. Microwave for 2 minutes. Instant berry cobbler!

You can turn it into a brownie by using just CQ and cocoa powder (about 2T of cocoa), use vanilla or some flavor of SF syrup that complements chocolate. If you want, you can chunk up some unsweetened or alcohol sugar based chocolate to make "chips" and mix them in. Nuke for 2 minutes and eat right out of your bowl! I've used vanilla and peppermint in this one. Mocha or coffee syrup would be great too.

My other favorite is coconut bread pudding. The basic recipe but using a little more liquid and put in 1/4 cup of coconut too. Use coconut syrup for this one! This one is divine! Its my new comfort food. Don't do what I did and put it in a bowl that is too small, because it bubbled over into the microwave.

For gingerbread I used my basic recipe and added a lot of cinnamon and ginger and then just a teaspoon of dark or blackstrap molasses and I happen to have some "gingerbread" flavored syrup from Da Vinci. The molasses is a very strong flavor so you don't need much and it only adds about 4 carbs.

Another variation I've toyed with just a bit is adding an egg. This makes it raise higher. I'd love to be able to perfect something that tasted a bit like bread, eggs, bacon and cheese. I've gotten close, but it still needs work.

Peanut butter is another one I've toyed with. PB syrup and a little PB stirred into the mix. I've got a large and growing collection of these syrups now.

Let me know if you improve on the recipe!

mammac-5
Sun, Dec-12-04, 19:35
Where can you find all those yummy syrups? The only flavors of SF Davinci's in my local stores are vanilla and hazelnut...

carlyray
Sun, Dec-12-04, 21:11
I use sf torani...it seems to be cheaper and I can find more of a variety around here. I get mine in a warehouse? sp type store where they sell bulk foods

Nancy LC
Sun, Dec-12-04, 22:15
I get my Torani at an import store and I've ordered some for Netrition (Da Vinci actually). Lots cheaper though if you can find them locally. I think they're about 5.99 at Cost Plus versus 7+ online. I got some of the more exotic flavors like gingerbread and peanut butter online.

kiwigal
Mon, Dec-13-04, 00:08
I'm drooling..logic tells me I'm NOT really hungry!!..what little bit of room I'v got is reserved for some parmesan popcorn..just a small bowl.. ;) ..later!
But TOMORROW..this recipe has my name ALL over it..toss, mix, nuke and scoff..ideal!! :p

Nancy LC
Tue, Dec-14-04, 10:36
Today's Breakfast Bowl Muffin was CQ and Flax meal mixed with some sharp cheddar cheese and water. I put a slightly beaten egg right on top along with some bacon bits and a pat of butter.

Wow! This is superb! Only problem is, it doesn't *look* pretty. In fact, it looks quite unappetizing. However, that never stopped me from enjoying my food.

Last night I made a chocolate bowl muffin, using CQ, cocoa, SF syrup and come Minicarb chocolate chips. Those chips are very good and they contain no sugar alcohols! I got them from Netrition.

carlyray
Sat, Dec-18-04, 20:49
can I use the recipe for "Atkins like bake mix" in place of the carbquik?

I tried this recipe w\ almond flour and it reminds me of a good hot cereal :)

Nancy LC
Sun, Dec-19-04, 15:39
Yeah, probably. Carbquik is much, much tastier though. :D

My latest creation is Banana syrup, CQ, coconut shreds and minicarb chocolate chips. Divine!

nutsnseeds
Thu, Dec-23-04, 09:26
WOW - this is a find! Did a bowl muffin (first time) this am with CQ and sf caramel syrup - it was amazing. I can't wait to try it again. I think next time it will be sf rasberry with sf dark chocolate chunks. I now have a reason to go out and buy more syrup flavors and a reason NOT to buy prepared muffin mixes. This is so much easier, faster, tastier and versatile. I bet these would make a good "pancake" breakfast too with syrup on top. Thanks for the great idea. I will be trying some of the savory versions as well - but what do you use for the liquid then if you don't want it sweet?

Nancy LC
Thu, Dec-23-04, 09:40
I just use water or LC milk for liquid. Or egg! Egg gives your muffin puffiness.
1 whole egg is a lot, you really would only want 1/2 an egg for most bowl muffins, unless you're going for an omelet type of bowl muffin. :D

Today I made a mother of a Bowl Muffin Omelet. I took just under 1/3C CQ, 1T of flax meal mixed it with two lightly beaten eggs, 2 strips of bacon cut into small pieces and a good serving of cheese, some pepper. Nuked for about 2.5 minutes and topped with butter. Wow! It's like an egg-mcmuffin or one of those egg-cheese-bacon croissants from fast food restaurants. Super delicious!

Hey, if you can find some frozen raspberries (unsweetened) you should toss a few into that raspberry concoction. That'd be sooooo tasty. Just throw them in frozen.

nutsnseeds
Mon, Dec-27-04, 12:15
Hi Nancy - boy have I been having fun with the bowl muffins! My favorite so far is caramel syrup, CQ and sf choc chunks. Eaten while hot tastes like the best just from the oven choc chip cookie! I also tried a bowl omelet with CQ, one beaten egg some bacon bits (real) and cheese and it was good but a little dry. If I did it again I might add some cream or butter to the mix.

I am going to try adding in the flax meal to future efforts for increased fiber.

BTW in case you have not found it yet - Trader Joes has by far the best sf choc I have tasted and I have not found it anywhere else though I do not think it is a house brand. Carb Safe - in a black wrapper near the check out - though for some reason I don't comprehend they seem to stock different flavors (white, milk and dark) at different registers. Although it does contain malitol I have never had the gastric distress from this product that I have had from others and the dark chocolate tastes like the real deal - just wonderful.

Nancy LC
Tue, Dec-28-04, 10:50
All right, Nuts! :D Aren't they fun? I think I've perfected the Bowl McMuffin finally.

I use two eggs, 1/3C CQ, 2 slices of bacon crumbled, and a handful of sharp cheddar (extra, extra sharp... num) and the new secret ingredient is... gravy!

I actually assemble this at work, I break the eggs and carry them in a small container. Then I put all the ingredients together, except gravy. Mix well, Spread out on a paper plate and nuke for 1.5 min. Then I put the gravy on top and nuke again for 20-30 seconds.

FABULOUS!

Yes! That is a good chocolate (carbsafe). I get the dark chocolate one. Last time I bought about 5 bars, and I'm slowly using it. Pretty nummy, eh? I also found an unsweetened cocoa there that I think is just a delicious as the one I bought at Williams Sonoma for about $15. TJ's was much cheaper, I might ad.

Huskerchic
Wed, Dec-29-04, 15:43
This "creation" sounds wonderful.

Tonite I'm going to try a pizza thingy....maybe mix in some hamburger, a hand full of cheese and some crumbled microwaved pepperoni.

TrinityX
Wed, Dec-29-04, 18:31
I made berry pudding today. One serving of CQ + a bit of water + ~1/4 C raspberry Da Vinci syrup + 2 sliced up strawberries. Mix well, nuke in microwave for 2 minutes. Wow! It was fantastic! :yum: Thanks for all the cool ideas, Nancy :)

~Trinity~

Huskerchic
Tue, Jan-04-05, 12:00
I still need to get around to making a pizza bowl, but I DID make a concoction that had 1/4 cup Atkins bake mix, one JUMBO egg, and some chopped up chicken breast, some sage and rosemary and nuked it for about 2 minutes.....stirred a few times while cooking and it tasted JUST LIKE STUFFING !!!!

I was in heaven, as I REALLY miss the stuffing around the holidays!!

Nancy LC
Tue, Jan-04-05, 12:28
Wow! What a great idea. A stuffing bowl! I found some turkey gravy (frozen) at Trader Joes... I could put it on top!

teddymom1
Fri, Feb-04-05, 12:27
Thank you Nancy, for this great recipe idea!! I made one this morning using the Atkins Bake Mix (which was very close to going in the trash!), flax meal, a scoop of crunchy LC Peanut Butter, SF Torani Chocolate syrup, an egg, and a splash of water. 2 minutes in the microwave and it puffed up beautifully and tasted just like a nutty chocolate muffin! I'm in LC heaven now and can't wait to try other combinations. I've missed my breakfast muffins, but not anymore! Plus, it's almost noon and I'm still not even a bit hungry!!
Thank you again for posting this wonderful recipe!!! :agree: :thup:
Sue

Demi
Sun, Feb-27-05, 15:38
WOW! - what a great idea - sounds wonderful - will definitely be trying out a bowl muffin :)

kiwigal
Sun, Feb-27-05, 15:53
These really are great..dead simple..I meant to report back earlier!
I have a choc chunk and blueberry 'muffin' sitting in the fridge ..calling my name for lunch! [almond/flax/egg/baking powder/stevia!]
:thup: recipe..thanks.

Karen44
Sun, Feb-27-05, 20:39
YUMMMMMM!! I have been playing with this muffin idea for a couple weeks.....I love them and all the great ideas.....thanks so much for sharing! I too finally found a way to use up that nasty atkins bake mix and all that bran and soy flour I bought! Healthy, low carb and good tasting? no way! WAYYYYYYYYY!!!! :lol: :agree: Thanks again for the idea! :wave:

sjkling
Thu, Mar-03-05, 19:53
i just made this. 1/3 cup carbquick, 1 egg, chocolate syrup and coconut...it looks great and i'm getting ready to take the first bite......

very, very good! maybe a little overdone---2 minutes might be a little too much, but it looks great, has great texture and i'm enjoying it!

JBallerina
Wed, Mar-09-05, 01:34
My variation of the bowl muffin:

Atkins PANCAKE mix (1/4 c) - better than A. bake mix, more protein than Carbquick

1 Packet Diet Swiss Miss

Walden Farms SF Chocolate Dip (1 BIG tablespoon)

DaVinci/Atkins SF Syrup (a little more than 1/4 c) - Or I'll use some DIet Coke

missymagoo
Sun, Mar-13-05, 11:06
okay i am going to hjave to try this one. sue

MichelleBe
Tue, Mar-22-05, 17:06
Wow! I made a brownie one with Atkins Bake mix... had a bite - it's yummy! But the rest is in the fridge for tomorrow... cause I also made a stuffing one... and that's all gone. TO DIE FOR!!!!

Great idea!

Hugs,

Mich

What's "carbquick".. and is it available in Canada?

franzie99
Wed, Mar-23-05, 17:43
I'd like to advise people to "know your microwave!". I seem to have a particularly good one I guess, because I always have to shave off at least 30 seconds (will try 45 next time) or I get a hard, dry puff of stuff in my bowl! I just got my CQ in the mail and have experimented with a chocolate cookie-ish bowl muffin and a breakfast one. I made the one with two eggs, cheese, and bacon (I used sausage), and it was all I could do to get 1/2 of it eaten. Will have to half the recipe next time! I only wish it was a little more wet, if that makes sense. Maybe I need to add a dash of cream or shave off a few more seconds.... Keep posting new concoctions...! I'm willing to keep trying. Any good idea for a sort of cinammony bread pudding-ish thing?
:)

tommiec68
Thu, Mar-24-05, 10:35
OMG!!! I want to leave work now, go to the store and buy ingredients, go home and grab a bowl!!! This is right up my alley. I miss "bready" stuff in the mornings. So many variations too. How did you come up with this idea? Me, my tummy, taste buds and bread cravings thank you. If I can make it as good as you others here I will be havin a "concoction" everyday.
Tammie

missymagoo
Sat, Mar-26-05, 18:50
well i tried this bowl muffin recipe and it was totally gross. for my self i could not eat it. sue

UrbanZero
Tue, Mar-29-05, 18:48
Tried this today with a little twist: layered.

1/4 c CQ
1/4 c SF Vanilla

then separately mixed up a dash of CQ and 1 T of SF blueberry and drizzled it on top. Very good!

MichelleBe
Wed, Mar-30-05, 06:42
Yummy - I made a really good one on Monday...

1/4 c Atkins Bake mix
2 tbsp cream cheese (softened)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 packet Sugar Twin
enough water to get it to a pancake batter consistancy
and about 5 small strawberries chopped.

To die for!

My five year old even loved it.

missymagoo
Fri, Apr-01-05, 01:39
okay. i tried this bowl muffin mix. i did not like it at all. can you use almond meal instead of the flax meal with the carb quick ? that might make it taSTE BETTER FOR ME. SUE

Huskerchic
Fri, Apr-01-05, 10:44
Try leaving out the "meal" altogether. I have never used either on, only the bake mix and it always seems to turn out fine.

steph z
Fri, Apr-01-05, 22:52
Made one with Carbquik, strawberry LC syrup, some cream cheese and 2 sliced small strawberries. I count 3 grams carbs for the 1/4 cup Carbquik, zero carbs for the syrup, 1 g carb for the cream cheese and 2 grams for the berries - total 6 grams. Yum and I will continue to experiment.

missymagoo
Sat, Apr-02-05, 20:06
well i will try that! i will post on it. it really sounds so yummy. sue

Nancy LC
Mon, Apr-04-05, 21:24
I've been experimenting with peanut butter. I made one tonight with peanut butter flavored syrup, peanut butter, carbquik and then I dropped a hunk of bittersweet chocolate bar in the middle. Nuked it and wow! Was really good. Like eating a peanut butter cookie.

Juli_G
Mon, Apr-04-05, 21:48
These sound great! I can't wait to experiment. Thanks!! :wave:

nutsnseeds
Tue, Apr-05-05, 13:17
My favorite is carbquick, carmamel divinci's syrup or cookie dough syrup, a touch of brown sugar twin and SF choc chips - like a fresh from the oven, warm choc chip cookie - yum.

Juli_G
Tue, Apr-05-05, 16:07
My favorite is carbquick, carmamel divinci's syrup or cookie dough syrup, a touch of brown sugar twin and SF choc chips - like a fresh from the oven, warm choc chip cookie - yum.

OH BOY!!! I'm seriously making happy squeaking sounds! That sounds like a dream come true! Thanks so much for the idea!!

Can you tell I'm excited?? :lol:

:wave:

Signey
Tue, Apr-05-05, 16:38
So I gotta ask, are any of you stalling out eating this stuff? This would send me into a stall really quick. :)
Signey

steph z
Tue, Apr-05-05, 16:43
I had one last weekend and was still in ketosis.

I am Carbquik's #1 fan, and I have never had a problem with the product - I am a Type 1 diabetic and my blood sugar remains stable (can't say that for Dreamsfields pasta, though).

:thup: I understand CQ is 12 net grams per cup, so by using 1/4 cup, that is 3 net carbs. The SF sucralose syrup is 0 grams and I used 2 small strawberries and a bit of cream cheese (another 1 g each).

VALEWIS
Wed, Apr-06-05, 02:11
Hi from Oz. We don't have carbquick over here. However a chocolate version of the bowl muffins is rising in popularity amongst us LC'ers...it is: 1/4c almond meal, big tbsp dark cocoa,
1/8c xylitol, 1 egg, 1/4 c pure cream and dash vanilla. Nuke. This comes out like a sort of chocolate bread pudding and is really great. I put LC ice cream on it and go to heaven.

Val

MichelleBe
Wed, Apr-06-05, 09:42
I had the most amazing bowl muffin (wanted to shorten it to BM - but that looked soooo not right, lol) I used:

1/4 c bake mix
1/4 c flax seeds ground
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 egg
pinch o' salt
water till pancake consistancy

Nuked it in a personal sized caserole dish, sliced it in half widthwise... and I had the most amazing egg salad sandwich. It made the perfect bread. Yummers!

laurie777
Sat, Apr-09-05, 21:21
I tried this and it was good but tasted almost too "flour-ish" - like I was eating plain flower. I added plenty of davinci syrup and it was sweet enough, but just had that kind of floury taste. Should I add more egg, or maybe some milk? BTW, I used davinci vanilla, 1 egg white, some cinnamon, and an additional packet of splenda - very good (except for the slight floury taste). I think the cinnamon really added something to it.

Laurie

VALEWIS
Sat, Apr-09-05, 21:52
I think it needs a full egg (not egg white), and perhaps add a bit of cream for he liquid.

Val

Nancy LC
Sun, Apr-17-05, 09:44
I had a bout of balky intestines so I started adding flax meal to the CQ every morning. I think it gives it more of a crumbly muffin texture.

Yeah, I'd agree if you don't like bread pudding type of consistency, add more egg, a whole egg. It'll puff up better too.

Dawna
Thu, Apr-21-05, 10:04
These sound great! I have Designer whey protein powder in three flavors as well as the Atkins capuccino PP. I'll play around with mixing various flavors into the bowl with the other things. I'll let you all know how that turns out.

I just love this concept! :thup:

lonewolf
Thu, Apr-21-05, 23:25
Do you have to use carb quick for this? i haven't found that around here. Can i use almond flour instead?

Dawna
Fri, Apr-22-05, 11:34
I used my MiniCarb apple cinnamon pancake mix this morning.

1/4 c mix
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
1 egg
DaVinci SF caramel syrup until consistancy of cake batter

This quantity made two regular size muffins. The pancake mix likes to really fluff up high. I did not add a levening agent as it's already in the mix. I also omitted oil and butter. I've discovered that it's not at all necessary with the MiniCarb pancake mix.

Calories each: 116
Fat grams: 4
Protein grams: 18.5
Net carbs: 1

I'll be making these the next time with the addition of some SF applesauce added into the batter. This will give them a lovely moisture. I'll sprinkle cinnamon and Splenda over them for a topping. Made as muffins, these travel exceptionally well. DH loved his in his lunch today.

lonewolf
Fri, Apr-22-05, 15:08
I ended up trying this last night. I didn't have any of the LC bake mixes, but had flax meal and almond flour. I used those with a little bit of baking powder, some SF maple syrup, and nuked it. I had to nuke it for like 3 minutes though before it even started to get a bready-consistency. It was very dense, but i sprinkled some cinnamon and splenda on it and it tasted good. Maybe I should have added an egg in there....

Julie Huck
Fri, Apr-22-05, 17:23
You know, this sounds really cool. I have question though. I'd like to make this primarily for my husband but I need to alter it so he can have it. My husband can't have wheat gluten, sugar or honey, fruit, lactose or wheat or oats. Even though he weighs 150 and 6ft tall he basically eats low carb. The only exceptions is that he can't have low carb packaged foods because most of them have some sort of oats or wheat gluten in them.

Ok so the thing is he really misses bread or the semblance of breads or brownies. If I used 1/2 cornstarch (he can handle that) and 1/2 almond flour along with baking soda would this work just as well? I'm also not sure of the ingredients in the DaVinci syrups and if they are ok. Any advice would be great!

I do know that gluten will make bread and other things stretchy. If that Carbquik has gluten then it will be hard to duplicate that. Have any of you made this stuff without using atkins bake mix or carbquick?

Making quick single servings would really help us out :help:

Julie Huck

VALEWIS
Fri, Apr-22-05, 19:29
Julie:

for one serve, mix:

1/4c almond meal
1 egg
vanilla
1 heaping tbsp pure cocoa
1/4c cream
sweetener of choice

Cover with plastic wrap, slit top, nuke for 86 seconds.
This will be like a brownie. If he is ok with cream or LC ice cream, top with that.

Val

tigerstar
Fri, Apr-22-05, 20:01
I tweaked the recipe found here: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/recipereview/showproduct.php/product/877/sort/8/cat/5/page/1

instead of the soy flour, I used almond meal, but everything else was the same.

Actually, that's not true because I added walnuts and unsweetened coconut. :yum: But I kept the rest of the basic recipe the same.

I topped it with cream cheese frosting: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/recipereview/showproduct.php/product/1868/sort/8/cat/5/page/3
(btw, I halved the recipe for the frosting, and I still only used less than half of what I made)

Julie Huck
Fri, Apr-22-05, 20:44
Wow! Thanks Tigerstar and Val!
We're unsure how he handles sugar alcohols which I think LC Ice Cream has but He can have whipped cream and so I think I'll top the brownie with that. And for the 3 min chocolate cake... I had forgotten that he can have soy flour so I think I would try half soy and half almond...

I'm going to make both of those versions this weekend and I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you :daizy:

Julie Huck

Dawna
Fri, Apr-22-05, 23:03
Julie, all the grocery stores in my area carry Bob's Red Mill products that can be found in the baking section. My health food store has them also.

There is a Bob's Red Mill Wheat Free Biscuit & Baking Mix that is wheat and gluten free. It is made from stone ground white rice and garbanzo bean flours, xantan gum and aluminum free baking powders.

Two days ago I made DH, who is on Maintenance, muffins that were identical in looks, taste and texture to devils food cake. I added some chocolate whey protein powder, unsweetened cocoa, an egg, Hood's chocolate milk and SF DaVinci chocolate syrup until it mixed into a cake batter consistancy. Just like devils food cake in every way that I remember, only without any sugar and less carbs. It can be used for biscuits, pancakes, waffles, shortcake, etc. The back of the package has a wonderful recipe for Impossible Ham & Swiss Pie.

This stuff could be just what you're looking for to meet DH's dietary needs.

myprogress
Sat, Apr-23-05, 14:38
omg~ thank you so much for this!!! :) I tried it today with just a simple flaxseed meal, baking powder, egg, butter, and a bit of cream. Although it did NOT turn out to be like a muffin, it was a GREAT DINNER ROLL! :) :) :) So happy now because it tasted great with pepper and olive oil!!!! Oh the things I love from my pre-LC day!!! :D :D :D and best of all, less than 5 mins of prep/making time! What more can I ever ask for! Thank you!!!

I'll definitely keep on trying this idea and see what other yummy things I can come up with out of this microwave and flaxseed meal thing! :)

lonewolf
Sun, Apr-24-05, 12:38
I added some egg to my recipe of this and made a "cinnamon toast" bowl muffin. Excellent! I made a single serving

2 Tbsp ground flax seed
2 Tbsp almond flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 an egg
1 Tbsp SF sryup (I use walden farms)
1 packet splenda
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
water to make a batter

Nuked it for 3 minutes and had a nice warm, sweet treat for a bedtime snack after the concert last night!

YUM! Thanks for this idea!

cre8tivgrl
Tue, Apr-26-05, 10:43
I tried this last night with the minicarb bake mix, flaxseed meal, SF hazelnut syrup, splenda and an egg. And it was pretty good. It will be better with some lc chocolate chunks in the future.

The portion for me was too big. I'll have to half it next time. My tummy felt like it was going to explode the rest of the night (apparently it's an excellent appetite suppressant too :lol: )

I am going to try a cheese variety today to possibly use as 'bread' for my tuna.

Thanks for sharing!

cre8tivgrl
Wed, Apr-27-05, 10:48
I tried the cheese variety. Actually I used 1/3 c minicarb bake mix, 1 T flaxseed meal, 1/4 t baking powder, 1/8 c colby cheese, 1 egg, spices (salt, garlic salt, italian herb mix). I nuked it in a casserole dish to make it flat - more bread like.

I ate half yesterday with tuna on it and this morning I cut the other half in half, put more cheese in the middle and nuked for 30 seconds to melt the cheese. It was soooo good!

superaunt
Fri, Apr-29-05, 14:31
Am excited to try this out! Has anyone tried the pizza version of it? How'd it turn out?

Also, Terri's links for the 3 min cake is right on!! I love that thing -- so easy and these sound like it, too!! And thanks for the link to the cream cheese frosting. I might double the recipe (for the cake) and make it for Mother's Day (and not tell anyone that it's all sf!! :D )

Nancy LC
Sat, Apr-30-05, 09:55
Corn starch is definitely not low carb and doesn't replace gluten, I don't think. Try using a mixture of almond meal (or almond flour) and flax meals. You might try a little soy flour too, if you can tolerate the taste. Flax has stuff in it that becomes gluey when it touches water. Carbquik is made from wheat, so you should avoid that. You'll have to add baking soda because CQ has baking soda in it. Probably 1/4 tsp is plenty. Experiment! You can always throw away the failures. :D

Oh another thought, whey protein would work too, its a finer flour than flax or almond too. I'd probably mix all three.

Ok so the thing is he really misses bread or the semblance of breads or brownies. If I used 1/2 cornstarch (he can handle that) and 1/2 almond flour along with baking soda would this work just as well? I'm also not sure of the ingredients in the DaVinci syrups and if they are ok. Any advice would be great!

Julie Huck
Mon, May-02-05, 09:13
So far we've tried three versions. They were all yummy but I think it still has potential for even more improvement. We did the brownie/cake version with almond flour, and we did the brownie/cake version with soy flour. (I liked the almond one better and my husband liked the soy flour version better LOL) And I made a microwave mini cheesecake version which was dangerously good! :yum: I think I still have a lot of experimenting left to do.

Hey Nancy, I know cornstarch isn't low carb but that's ok because my husband is 6ft tall and 150 lbs so if he can handle it and if it provides a smooth texture without an aftertaste and doesn't have the wheat gluten in it that will tear up his intestine then it's a good choice for him. Also, we have a large jar of xanthan gum (probably only need 1/2 tsp in bowl muffins). I plan to see how that helps with the texture of it. You're right though. Nothing really behaves the same way as wheat gluten. I'm staying away from the flax for him because he's not supposed to have a lot of fiber right now. He'll be able to try it after a while.

Hey Dawna :) I have actually heard of the gluten free mixes. However, my husband can't use them because he has a problem with rice flour which is what most of them use. (rice flour apparently has a more sticky, gummy like property than other gluten-free flours) But Ted can use potato flour and corn starch and corn flour and soy flour so I'll work with these and do what i can. Whey protein powder...I'm unsure about that because he can't handle any lactose (even the little bit in microwave popcorn for crying out loud!) Do you know if Whey protein has any lactose in it?

Thanks For all your help! I'll let you know if I come up with any thing Low Carb that's amazing!

Julie Huck

superaunt
Mon, May-02-05, 09:16
OMG. I tried a pancake version this morning and I swear it is THE BEST thing I've had in a long, long time! :)

1/4 cup atkin bake mix
1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 cup mixture of sf vanilla syrup, heavy cream, water, sf maple syrup

Nuked for 2 minutes and as promised by Nancy, I had one happy tummy!!!

Heavenly! :)

spiderdust
Tue, May-03-05, 01:55
Oh, I am SO glad I stumbled across this thread tonight! I'm trying this in the morning!!!

grammiedee
Thu, May-05-05, 14:46
Tried a version of the brownie bowl and I know that I'm going to be in love. Of course I read so many of the versions last night when I found the thread and didn't write any of them down that it was just hit and miss this morning but yummy none the less.

1/4 c CQ
1 egg
2 tsp cocoa powder
2 tsp Splenda
water to blend and 2 minutes in nuker

I took a LC Russel Stovers Chocolate (looks like the treasure chest) candy and melted it and used it for a frosting. YUM YUM YUM!!!

Thanks ever so much for posting this idea as I have decided that the day I weigh in I am going to allow myself to go for it!!!

Will post back with any interesting combinations and check back for any new ideas.

Nancy LC
Thu, May-05-05, 15:00
The pancake idea is great! I love all the variations people are coming up with. Yeah! I put some SF chocolate in my brownie bowls sometimes! I wonder if there are SF caramels out there?

lonewolf
Thu, May-05-05, 15:48
And I made a microwave mini cheesecake version which was dangerously good!

Did you say cheese cake???? OMG! How did you make it?! :) hehehe

Dawna
Thu, May-05-05, 17:16
OK, I have MiniCarb stuff (bought for 50 cents ~ box) up the yazoo. That being said, I used the zero carb baking mix for muffins that DH can take to work. I also eat the muffins I've been experimenting with. For DH though, they have to travel well and these most certainly do. They were moist and good. These would also lend themselves to Potatofree's wonderful cream cheese frosting.

1/4 cup MiniCarb Zero Carb Baking Mix
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
2 Tbs[ ground flaxsee meal
1 egg
1/2 mashed banana
Small handful of chopped walnut meats
Brown Sugar Twin to sweeten
Cream added until batter consistancy

Nuked in heart shaped molds for 2.5 min. Made 4 hearts. These would freeze really well.

Dawna
Thu, May-05-05, 17:19
Julie, I just read the ingredients listed on my Designer whey protein powder. There is absolutely no mention of lactose anywhere. :)

Nancy101
Thu, May-05-05, 18:27
I wonder if there are SF caramels out there?

A few weeks ago I found sugar free vanilla caramels in my local dollar store - They were made by a company called Asher's (located in Pennsylvania apparently and a "fine chocolate company"). They were EXTREMELY good. Maybe they can be found on the internet? I had never heard of the brand before and really haven't looked into it any further.

Julie Huck
Thu, May-05-05, 21:32
Hi lonewolf :) I kind of just winged this. But I did like it a bunch.

Microwave Low Carb Bowl Cheesecake

Cream Cheese 4 oz
heavy whipping cream 1/4 cup
splenda 1/4 cup
egg 1 each
vanilla extract 1/2 tsp
lemon juice 1/2 tsp

I warmed the cheese a bit and then mixed everything together until it was smooth and then put it in the microwave for 2 to 4 min. You can see the center just starting to firm up. Now here's the hard part. Refrigerate until it's cooled off. I admit I couldn't make it that far. I ate it before it had a chance to cool. Loved it though. Best thing was that there wasn't the rest of the cheese cake calling my name sitting in the refrigerator afterward. Ideally this would be 2 servings. 1 serving being 361 cal, Carbs 5g, fat 33.5g, protein 7g.

And! Thanks Dawna:) I'll have to pick up some whey protein powder :thup:

Julie Huck

spiderdust
Fri, May-06-05, 03:28
Just made one of those "breakfast bowl omelets"!

1/3 cup almond meal
1 egg
a little over 1/8 tsp. baking powder
a little bit of shredded cheese
a small handful of cooked bacon pieces

Put a little bit of butter on top after it was done. That really hit the spot! :yum:

lonewolf
Sun, May-08-05, 17:00
Thanks so much for letting me know how you made the cheesecake bowl! I'll have to try that one for dessert!

On those Ascher's candies, my local LC/vitamin store carries them. The guy says they are the best LC chocolates out there, though he carries several different brands. They have too much sugar alcohols in them for me though.

ddaniels
Tue, May-10-05, 09:39
I finally succumed to all the hype and joined the cult of the bowl muffin. Wow- I had to keep going back and reading the carb count on the ingredients because I couldn't believe something so full of tasty bready goodness could be legal! I made superaunt's pancake version, and I finally used my Atkins bake mix that I've had laying around forever. I think I'll decrease the cream next time. I liked it, but I used 1/4 cup of cream and the other 1/2 cup liquid was water and the other syrups. Since I gobbled it up by myself, I'm thinking I should probably go easier next time on all the calories from the cream.

So, I have a question. Has anyone tried baking this in an actual oven, rather than the microwave? I know that starts to become a whole lot more like cooking, and less like microwave magic, but I'm curious. Also, I've never used flax meal before- this was my first time. It seems like a too-good-to-be-true ingredient. All it's carbs come from fiber- so it's like, free? Can you eat too much of this stuff? Will it make you get tummy upset or some other bad thing? If it's a free carb, why aren't we putting it in everything?!!

superaunt
Tue, May-10-05, 10:01
Also, I've never used flax meal before- this was my first time. It seems like a too-good-to-be-true ingredient. All it's carbs come from fiber- so it's like, free? Can you eat too much of this stuff? Will it make you get tummy upset or some other bad thing? If it's a free carb, why aren't we putting it in everything?!!

Hehe

Well, I don't know about everyone else and I could be wrong on this one, but I practically do use flax with everything. It's such a great ingredient!! I've even turned my 85-year-old grandmother on to it!! It's such a great, great source of fiber which may be lacking in some of our lc diets. Just be sure to freeze it after you use it so it stays fresh longer.

ddaniels
Tue, May-10-05, 11:23
Hehe

Well, I don't know about everyone else and I could be wrong on this one, but I practically do use flax with everything. It's such a great ingredient!! I've even turned my 85-year-old grandmother on to it!! It's such a great, great source of fiber which may be lacking in some of our lc diets. Just be sure to freeze it after you use it so it stays fresh longer.

Thanks for the hint on freezing it- I didn't know that. I'm getting pretty excitied about this flax thing. I just read the thread on flax bread. I can't get it out of my head that this is too good to be true!

PML
Wed, May-11-05, 05:44
Thanks for the hint on freezing it- I didn't know that. I'm getting pretty excitied about this flax thing. I just read the thread on flax bread. I can't get it out of my head that this is too good to be true!

It's even better if you grind it yourself. I use the golden flax (just because I prefer the taste). I keep the flax seeds in the freezer. Then I grind enough, in a coffee grinder, to fill a small ziploc disposable container (which I also keep in the freezer). This will last me a few days unless I am using a lot for a recipe.

The already ground flax is very handy, especially if you are using a lot, but I, personally, think that the taste of freshly ground is superior.

Phyllis

Julie Huck
Wed, May-11-05, 06:08
ooohh! you can grind flax seeds in the coffee grinder??? Why didn't I think of that? I'm going to try that!

Thanks

Julie Huck (feeling kind of dim witted now LOL)

PML
Wed, May-11-05, 06:40
[QUOTE=Julie Huck]ooohh! you can grind flax seeds in the coffee grinder??? Why didn't I think of that? I'm going to try that!
QUOTE]

If you actually use your coffee grinder for coffee, it is best to get a new one that you can dedicate to flax (and other things).

Although I have been meaning to buy another coffee grinder for coffee, I rarely make coffee (only when we have guests that drink it). So, when I need to use my grinder for coffee, I grind some rice in the grinder and clean it out with a brush. The rice soaks up the oils and smells so that I can use the same grinder. However, if I were a coffee drinker and used my grinder a lot for coffee, I would go out immediately and buy another grinder because it is a bit of a hassle.

Just a tip in case you want to use the same grinder until you can get an additional one for your flax and herbs.

Phyllis

Nancy LC
Wed, May-11-05, 09:32
So, I have a question. Has anyone tried baking this in an actual oven, rather than the microwave? I know that starts to become a whole lot more like cooking, and less like microwave magic, but I'm curious. Also, I've never used flax meal before- this was my first time. It seems like a too-good-to-be-true ingredient. All it's carbs come from fiber- so it's like, free? Can you eat too much of this stuff? Will it make you get tummy upset or some other bad thing? If it's a free carb, why aren't we putting it in everything?!!

I've actually been making coffee cakes using carbquik and almond meal lately and those get baked in the oven. This last one I made was fabulous!

Flax meal is very, very caloric. It's like 60 calories per tablespoon. I suspect it has a high oil content. I try to limit it to about 1-2 tablespoons. It also has a little bit of a bitter taste to it, kind of halfway nutty, halfway bitter. So if you use to much you might find it intrudes into the flavors too much.

But I do like the crumbly texture it gives to bowl muffins. It makes it more like a muffin and less like bread pudding. :D

Glad you enjoyed the Bowl Muffin technique!

VALEWIS
Wed, May-11-05, 16:04
Nancy, have you tried throwing in an egg and leaving out the baking powder? If you make it with one egg, 1/4 c almond meal,1-2 tablesp cocoa, vanilla DaVinci, Splenda to taste, and
then nuke for about 86 sec. It makes a wonderful chocolate brownie-like dessert.

I find the golden flax seeds to be a lot less bitter than the dark brown ones. Also it is important to grind them just before using them to get the benefit (high omega 3 source), but I wonder if that isn't lost by cooking anyway as we are told to NEVER use flax seed oil for cooking- just to take it straight. So it seems to me the benefit is then more in adding fiber, and as Nancy says, it makes for a fluffier end product if used with almond meal. BTW, the recipe done with egg also makes a good basis for a pancake..just add a bit of melted butter or cream to the batter.

Another consideration is to use ground hazelnuts rather than almonds, which I think has a better carb count?? (could be wrong here.)

Val

PML
Thu, May-12-05, 05:49
I try to limit it to about 1-2 tablespoons. It also has a little bit of a bitter taste to it, kind of halfway nutty, halfway bitter. So if you use to much you might find it intrudes into the flavors too much.

Golden Flax has a much better taste than the black. I make a protien drink every morning using a heeping tablespoon of the ground golden flax (on only 8 oz of liquid) and I never have any hint of bitterness just a wonderfully nutty flavor.

If you are using pre-ground flax (which is probably the black flax), then the bitterness may be coming not only from the black seeds but also from the fact that the ground seeds may be going rancid. Once ground, they go rancid very quickly. This is the reason I choose to grind my own. If you do choose to use pre-ground flax, try to find a source that keeps it frozen or, at the very least, refrigerated. (Of course, who knows how long it has been from the time it was ground to the time it arrived at your vendor who put it in a freezer or refrigerator... it's always a "crap shoot" when you buy it pre-ground.)

Hope this helps,

Phyllis

mammac-5
Fri, May-13-05, 19:18
Bob's Red Mill sells an excellent Ground Golden Flax Seed. I think you can even order it from their website if your stores don't carry it.

Reminds me...I'm out and need to pick some up!

spiderdust
Sat, May-14-05, 01:53
I wish there were a cake batter flavored DaVinci syrup... I'd love to make something that tastes like a pineapple upsidedown cake. Any ideas, anyone?

Signey
Sat, May-14-05, 13:57
I wish there were a cake batter flavored DaVinci syrup... I'd love to make something that tastes like a pineapple upsidedown cake. Any ideas, anyone?

Wouldn't caramel flavored syrup work?

Dawna
Sat, May-14-05, 21:37
DaVinci also has SF Cookie Dough and Maple Pancake syrup that might work well. In a pineapple cake, the pineapple syrup would be great too for flavor and sweetener.

spiderdust
Sun, May-15-05, 00:08
Maybe if I mixed the pineapple and caramel syrups together... that might be closer to what I'm looking for.

cre8tivgrl
Sun, May-15-05, 10:01
I've tried these and like the taste. But the texture is almost like a flavored omelet. Is that what you all are getting? From your descriptions it doesn't sound like it. Help me perfect this, please. :)

ddaniels
Sun, May-15-05, 10:37
I've tried these and like the taste. But the texture is almost like a flavored omelet. Is that what you all are getting? From your descriptions it doesn't sound like it. Help me perfect this, please. :)

Which bowl muffin version have you been trying? I've only made superaunt's pancake bowl muffin version:

1/4 cup atkin bake mix
1/4 cup flax meal

...and it doesn't seem at all like an omelet texture to me . I've made it using Atkins bake mix and I also just made it using Carbquick (which I finally ordered and it came last night!) I make up half of my liquid mixture with heavy cream and the remainder with water and a just a little bit of the vanilla syrup and sf maple syrup.

lonewolf
Sun, May-15-05, 15:30
I make one that ends up like cinnamon bread, and is great served warm with some SF whipped cream.

I use:
1/2-1 egg
2 tbsp flax meal
2 tbsp almond meal
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp heavy cream
add water to make a batter if it needs it (i don't if i use a whole egg)
2 packets splenda

Nuke it for 2 minutes

spiderdust
Mon, May-16-05, 02:19

If you add the egg, it ends up closer to an omelet texture. What mixture are you using?

Nancy LC
Mon, May-16-05, 08:29

What ingredients did you use?

cre8tivgrl
Mon, May-16-05, 09:30
I used
1/4 minicarb bake mix
1/4 flax meal
1 egg
1T Splenda, 1T sf syrup, 2T heavy cream and 1-2T water

cre8tivgrl
Mon, May-16-05, 09:32
I did want to add that I used this exact recipe yesterday except that I added water until the batter was pancake consistency and cooked them just like pancakes. Still a little eggy, but tasty. I melted some butter and added sf DaVinci chocolate syrup to make a syrup for the pancakes. It turned out very good. I was pleased over all.

superaunt
Mon, May-16-05, 10:30
I don't use eggs at all and it tastes just like a pancake!! I hate eggs and because of the flax, you don't NEED to use an egg.

Dawna
Mon, May-16-05, 16:24
Today I visited my health food store and came home with loads of golden flax. Thanks for that one. I didn't even know it was out there. Also stocked up on the almond meal. I would assume that it's best kept in the freezer as well, right? I can't wait to start trying out all the great suggestions. :)

CindyG
Tue, May-17-05, 15:29
I made a cinnamon roll bowl last night! It was so good :)

1/4C Atkins bake mix
SF vanilla syrup

mixed these together until it looked like "dough" consistnecy
Flatened it out to look like a roll, sprinkled with cinnamon and splenda and cut up a pat of butter on top. rolled it up, threw it back in the bowl... and there you go! Cinnamon roll! I'm going to try it with cream cheese frosting soon! Cinnabon... forget about it!

I love these things!

cre8tivgrl
Wed, May-18-05, 10:19
I tried the pancakes without egg at first. They looked like pancakes but I couldn't get them to stay together to flip them. I think double batter or 1/2 egg would have been perfect.

Maybe I need to try the bowl muffin without egg. Hmmm....

Nancy LC
Wed, May-18-05, 10:23
I tried the pancakes without egg at first. They looked like pancakes but I couldn't get them to stay together to flip them. I think double batter or 1/2 egg would have been perfect.

Maybe I need to try the bowl muffin without egg. Hmmm....

Well, the whole idea with bowl muffins is... they stay in the bowl! You probably didn't use enough syrup either.

superaunt
Wed, May-18-05, 10:25
cre8tivgrl, here is my Pancake Bowl Muffin:

1/4 cup atkin bake mix
1/4 cup flax meal

mix it all up, nuke for 2 minutes big mug and voila!!! :yum:

cre8tivgrl
Wed, May-18-05, 12:35
Oh no, I get the bowl muffin idea. I was just seeing if the recipe would make nice pancakes on the griddle.

Anyway, I tried the bowl muffin recipe without the egg. It was much like the consistency of oatmeal. In fact, that's what it tasted like too so if I never perfect the bowl muffin, at least I've found a fantastic oatmeal alternative. :D

Nancy LC
Wed, May-18-05, 19:31
Ah! I think you would need an egg to hold it together in order to flip 'em. When I use carbquik without eggs, my bowl muffins are almost like bread pudding.

Generally when I'm using Carbquik to make stuff like waffles or pancakes I add an egg or two per cup of floury stuff. I made a shortcake the other night and I used 3 eggs to 2 cups of floury stuff, pancakes might take a bit more since it is more liquid.

spiderdust
Thu, May-19-05, 00:12
I made a cinnamon roll bowl last night! It was so good :)

1/4C Atkins bake mix
SF vanilla syrup

Oooh, I bet they'd be even better with the Davinci's Danish Pastry syrup!

superaunt
Thu, May-19-05, 08:53
DANISH PASTRY syrup!!! Man!!!!!! I gotta get out looking for these Davinci's ... the store I shop at carries Torani and they certainly don't carry a danish one!! :(

cre8tivgrl
Thu, May-19-05, 11:49
Yeah, Nancy... once I added the egg, they stayed together nicely, cooked evenly and flipped without effort and the flavor was that of pancakes (something I didn't find with porkrind powder). Next time I will double the batter but keep it to one egg.

ddaniels
Fri, May-20-05, 06:42
DANISH PASTRY syrup!!! Man!!!!!! I gotta get out looking for these Davinci's ... the store I shop at carries Torani and they certainly don't carry a danish one!! :(

I finally was able to get Davinci stuff by ordering it online from netrition.com.I'd never ordered from them but heard about them from others on this forum. I was pleased with the order. They charge a flat $4.95 for 2 day shipping, no matter how much you order or how much it weighs. I was able to order all sorts of things I was having trouble finding around here, like the Davinci syrups and almond meal. Too bad they didn't have liquid Splenda! I guess I'll have to order that from someone else since I can't find it at my local stores. I ordered the almond, creme de menthe and kahlua syrups. The Kahlua syrup is fantastic! I make a drink with ice, seltzer, heavy creme and the Kahlua. It is pretty yummy! Someone in the forum has mentioned that the Davinci Toasted Marshmallow is especially good. I think I may get that next. Last night I began dreaming up an idea that would make baked merigues using the Toasted Marshmallow syrup- maybe I can make some sort of low carb chewy marshmallow thing!

spiderdust
Fri, May-20-05, 12:40
Too bad they didn't have liquid Splenda! I guess I'll have to order that from someone else since I can't find it at my local stores.

You won't find it at any local stores. Liquid Splenda isn't legally sold in the US, except to food manufacturers. Anyone who is selling you liquid splenda is selling a black market item, and it's with the disapproval of the sucralose manufacturers.

That being said, liquid stevia is something easily found at health food stores, and I've used sugar free DaVinci syrup as my sweetener in lots of recipes to keep the carb count lower.

ddaniels
Fri, May-20-05, 14:01
You won't find it at any local stores. Liquid Splenda isn't legally sold in the US, except to food manufacturers. Anyone who is selling you liquid splenda is selling a black market item, and it's with the disapproval of the sucralose manufacturers.

That being said, liquid stevia is something easily found at health food stores, and I've used sugar free DaVinci syrup as my sweetener in lots of recipes to keep the carb count lower.

Aha!! So that explains why I can't find it! I'll be in Canada this summer so maybe I'll pick some up then. Thanks for he info!

Nancy LC
Fri, May-20-05, 15:51
Liquid Splenda isn't legally sold in the US, except to food manufacturers.

HUH? You're saying it's illegal? Did congress pass a law about liquid Splenda? Can't say as I've heard about that before. It might be the company would prefer to disallow it, but there are a couple of companies selling Splenda Syrup. I bought some from a company called locarber (I think) and another one from Sweetzfree (I think).

What law prevents the sales of liquid splenda?

Nancy101
Fri, May-20-05, 16:49
HUH? You're saying it's illegal? Did congress pass a law about liquid Splenda? What law prevents the sales of liquid splenda?

I think what she is saying it cannot be legally sold in the US - the illegal part would be on the seller's side, not the recipient. I read up on it a while back, has to do with the licensing agreement through the manufacturer - this is where it would be "illegal" to sell in the U.S. as stated in the licensing agreement. I'm guessing that the "splenda syrup" that you've purchased is most likely some sort of fiber supplement sweetened with splenda, thus giving you "liquid splenda," but it's not liquid splenda that is manufactured as that.

Kind of funny if ya think about it... imagine black market liquid splenda - who'd have thought?? :lol:

Signey
Sat, May-21-05, 13:40
I'm on a high protein, moderate carb, lower fat WOE. I've been following the Bowl Muffin thread for some time now. I finally got it together and got some Atkins Baking Mix. They don't carry CarbQuik at Fred Meyer's up here anymore. :( This morning I made a very nummy Bowl Muffin. This does have a higher carb count then many of you can afford on the lower carb WOE's. I'm posting this because there will be some people who might be able to fit it into their plan and also because it's fun to see what can be done with a Bowl Muffin. It might also be good for folk who need a carb boost for one reason or another.

Apple Cinnamon Bowl Muffin

24 g. Atkins Bake Mix
20 g. Old Fashioned Oatmeal (blend in coffee grinder)
1 T Flax Seed (blend in coffee grinder)
1/4 t Cinnamon
2 oz grated apple w/peel
1 egg
1 T Caramel Syrup (sugar free)
1/2 t Vanilla
4 drops Splenda Liquid

Blend with enough water to make a thick batter. Nuke until done.
319 calories, 11 g fat (2 sat, 3 poly, 3 mono), 34 carbs, 12 fiber, 24 g protein

I sprayed this with fake butter spray because I had used all of my calories for this meal in the muffin. I then put sugar free maple syrup on it. It was to die for! :yum: Really good. The only thing that I might do in the future, that would make it out standing, would be to cut up a few raisins and add them to the batter.

Thank you for sharing all of your ideas. This is a great thread! :)

Signey

pecan
Sat, May-21-05, 14:58
thanks for posting this, i'm no longer anywhere near extreme low carb levels, but i still avoid white flour/refined sugar, and i love the idea of using oats like this!

Signey
Sat, May-21-05, 18:31
Hi Pecan,
I love oats too and I seem to put them in everything I bake. They're just so good for you. Such a perfect food. High protein, low glycemic, good quality carb. I hope you enjoy the recipe! :)
Sig

Dawna
Sat, May-21-05, 19:13
Signey, this reads like the perfecect food for heavy workout days. Thanks for sharing.

Signey
Mon, May-23-05, 14:08
Hi Dawna,
This is a good workout food. That's what I was thinking about when I put it together. I made this again with a few chopped up raisins and it was really good. I like it just fine though without the raisins. It reminds me of those soft oatmeal apple cookies. It has that flavor. This has become a comfort food for me and I'm so pleased. It's nice to have something like this that takes the place of the naughty stuff and does it well.
Sig

Nancy LC
Mon, May-23-05, 15:48
I think what she is saying it cannot be legally sold in the US - the illegal part would be on the seller's side, not the recipient. I read up on it a while back, has to do with the licensing agreement through the manufacturer - this is where it would be "illegal" to sell in the U.S. as stated in the licensing agreement. I'm guessing that the "splenda syrup" that you've purchased is most likely some sort of fiber supplement sweetened with splenda, thus giving you "liquid splenda," but it's not liquid splenda that is manufactured as that.

Kind of funny if ya think about it... imagine black market liquid splenda - who'd have thought?? :lol:

Ok, I'm getting overly picky probably but I wouldn't call breach of contract illegal. You aren't breaking a law, you're breaking a contract you make with another party. It doesn't carry any criminal penalties. And lots of times it doesn't even carry any penalities especially if it is unenforceable.

All the liquid splenda I've gotten has been water + splenda and maybe some citric acid as a preservative.

Sweetzfree is a clear liquid syrup base, highly concentrated, and made soley from 100% pure Sucralose in a purified water concentrate. It dissolves fully and instantly in any food or beverage. It is so highly concentrated, that you use very little. Sweetzfree can be used in cooking, baking, desserts, beverages, or anywhere else you use sugar or other sweet flavoring substances. Sweetzfree, no matter how much you use, or how sweet you make things, adds absolutely NO calories, NO carbs, and NO Maltodextrin fillers, or anything else to your sweet creations other than a totally naturally sweet taste!

Actually, it is so concentrated it is very difficult to use.

Signey
Mon, May-23-05, 20:58
I've been experimenting this evening and I've come up with an idea that should be played with. "Bowl Muffin Cookies"

I made up my batter and dropped it by tablespoons onto an ungreased glass pie plate. Nuked it for about two min. until they were dry. Then I put them in a 225 degree oven for a half hour on a perforated pizza pan. I suspect that a dehydrator would also do the trick. You just want to pull that extra moisture out of the cookie. They aren't going to have the "short" quality that a real cookie would have. However; what they will do nicely is be a portable meal that can be stashed in your purse or glove compartment.

My recipe is again a bit higher in carbs for those of you on a lower carb plan. I would encourage playing with this idea in the hopes of coming up with lower carb recipes. I'm thinking that a ginger snap would work really nicely. :)

Cocoa Cookies ala Bowl Muffin

24 grms. Atkins Bake Mix
20 grms. old fashioned oatmeal (grind in coffee grinder)
1 Tbls. flax seed (grind in coffee grinder)
2 Tbls. cocoa powder
1 egg
1 Tbls. sugar free syrup of choice
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbls. water
Splenda to taste

Mix together and proceed as described above.

For the whole batch: 327 cal, 12 grms fat (3 sat, 3 poly, 3 mono), 31 carbs, 13 fiber, 26 pro,

Signey

Nancy LC
Tue, May-24-05, 13:19
Bowl Muffin Cookies! Great idea! I might try it using coconut. :D

Nancy101
Tue, May-24-05, 13:31
Ok, I'm getting overly picky probably but I wouldn't call breach of contract illegal. You aren't breaking a law, you're breaking a contract you make with another party. It doesn't carry any criminal penalties. And lots of times it doesn't even carry any penalities especially if it is unenforceable.

Yeah, you're right - The only penalities would be $$$ spent on litigation - and no doubtedly a hefty sum to settle. Illegal splenda - go figure! :lol:

OzarkMama
Sun, May-29-05, 23:14
I've been doing so well for my first three weeks here and haven't cheated or even been tempted to cheat. Reading this thread has nearly got my tongue lolling onto my keyboard.

I'm curious about why, in all the thousands of posts I have read (no kidding) on this forum in the food section, there is not a lot of discussion about the 'blending' of flour-ish sources, as much as there is about the blending of sweetener sources.

Does blending for example, carbquick and almond meal and vanilla whey protein powder and flax meal together provide some disgusting taste? Because it seems to me that a blend of stuff could save on money, allow a nice mix of cal/carb/texture/nutrients/protein, and you could actually make up a mix once a week of blended stuff and just keep it in the fridge in a plastic bowl... with a scoop... scoop it into your bowl, dump in whatever else and be done. (Come to think of it, if you had a mix of liquids that were common, that could probably be done with them, too.)

If people can eat a little bit of meal'd oats in something, how about the 1-minute superthin oats left as they are (don't they go a lot farther carb-wise in distribution 'cause of their thinness?) with something with chocolate chunks, like one of those nobake cookie flavors? (If I wasn't still in induction and hot for chocolate at the moment I'd try it myself. :-))

oregano, red peppers, chopped pepperoni, and some mozz or pepperjack would be divine in one of these I bet.

A last question, for those of you who've done all this experimenting: Maybe this is a stupid idea... what if you scooped up half the mix, and put an egg (yolk unbroken) there, and then put the rest of the mix on top? Would it cook the egg and you'd cut into it like a molten-lava choc cake except egg? Or does something horrible happen if you put an egg yolk in the microwave?

I love this thread. I'm so grateful to all the people who post their ideas. Even slight diffs and what-didn't-work give new ideas. It's finding edible stuff that is also affordable and fast/easy that is pretty key to keeping people--particularly people new to LC--on the plan.

OM

Signey
Sun, May-29-05, 23:38
Hi Om
As long as you are on induction I would avoid oatmeal and other grains. As you up the amount of carbs you can have oatmeal becomes more do able. It's still pretty spendy though. 20 grms of oatmeal, that's the amount in the Apple Cinnamon Bowl Muffin, has 14 grams carb and two grams of fiber. Be sure that your WOE will support that much carb at one meal.
I've done as you've suggested and made up mixes of food combinations that I use frequently. It works great! I would suggest that if you are going to put flax meal in it that you only make up a supply that will be used in a week or so and keep it in the fridge. Flax seed once it is ground goes rancid quickly and should be refrigerated.
Don't know about mixing the liquid flavors. Those to me tend to be something I like to leave to the end to suit my taste at the moment. They're the ingredient that puts the signature on the finished product. Just me though. I'm sure that you could make up concoctions that could be stored in the fridge for a week or so.
I'm thinking that your egg idea is one that you might want to experiment with. You might just get a hard boiled yolk in the middle. :) I guess it depends on how long you want to cook it.
This is a good thread. :agree: Couldn't agree with you more. I've really enjoyed reading and being a part of it. Thanks again you guys!
Sig :wave:

spiderdust
Mon, May-30-05, 01:25
Hmm... I wonder if a 1/2 tablespoon of rolled oats in a bowl muffin with the Davinci cookie dough flavored syrup and a dash of cinnamon would be like an oatmeal cookie?

Signey
Mon, May-30-05, 02:06
Hmm... I wonder if a 1/2 tablespoon of rolled oats in a bowl muffin with the Davinci cookie dough flavored syrup and a dash of cinnamon would be like an oatmeal cookie?

That's what the Apple Cinnamon Bowl Muffin does for me. It reminds me of those soft apple filled cookies. :yum:
You should play with it. Is there an apple syrup?
Sig

Nancy LC
Mon, May-30-05, 10:37
A last question, for those of you who've done all this experimenting: Maybe this is a stupid idea... what if you scooped up half the mix, and put an egg (yolk unbroken) there, and then put the rest of the mix on top? Would it cook the egg and you'd cut into it like a molten-lava choc cake except egg? Or does something horrible happen if you put an egg yolk in the microwave?

Ok, I think you might be a little disappointed. First, unbroken egg yolks tend to explode in the microwave. Secondly, it'd just end up looking like scrambled eggs in the middle of your chocolate cake. Oh yum... or not!

The way a molten chocolate cake works, I think, is that the outside gets cooked faster than the inside. So the outside, because it is coated in sugar, becomes a bit like a crust and the inside is slightly undercooked. It might be difficult to reproduce in a bowl muffin cooked in a microwave, but it might be possible if you used Polydextrose instead of sugar, I think it can get kind of crusty. But you'd need the browning action of an oven to do it.

Anyway, I've had chocolate bowl muffins vaguely reminiscent of molten chocolate cake when I put some splenda sweetened chocolate chips (from Minicarb) in the middle of it. And then don't use an egg in it.

spiderdust
Mon, May-30-05, 10:55
[QUOTE=SigneyIs there an apple syrup?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, DaVinci's Dutch Apple syrup is full sugar. :( The only sugar free apple syrup of theirs that I've seen is green apple.

Nature's Flavors makes a splenda sweetened apple pie syrup, but I've never tried their products.

OzarkMama
Tue, May-31-05, 13:48
I tried this, this morning, kind of on the fly. It came out a couple more carbs than I intended (but well worth it IMO :-)). I meant to use coconut--that was going to be a primary part of the taste!--but I couldn't find it, darn it!

I only used Caramel davinci because I didn't have a better flavor for this particular combo (which I actually made so I could give some to my kid, who likes the apricot+pina colada scheme). It was really yummy though! And with 25g of protein and under 400 calories, it's a pretty good deal.

(My awesome protein powder is part of that though. Vanilla 100% Whey at usadiamondnutrition.com is the ref. Nobody I know who has tasted this stuff and seen its stats would even dream of going back to another brand, even if the other were half the price.)

Here's the ingredients and nutrition info for those who might want to try their own variants. Gosh this thread has been a great source of ideas. I think tomorrow I will try raspberry cinnamon...

OM

http://www.joshua9.com/omfood/ApricotTropicalBlend.gif

Sorry, I forgot to add the details, so I'm editing this.

I combined all the dry ingredients. Then I nuked the cream cheese for 45 seconds, and then added to that all the wet ingredients. Then I mixed those things together. (Whoops! I used one too many bowls, I see! ;-) I may make a 'dry mix' that I like and put it in the fridge so I can just take a scoop of it in the morning and do whatever for flavors.)

It made a sort of runny pancake batter texture with miniglobs from the 'course' grind flour of the almonds. I nuked for 1 minute. Then I took it out, and added the fruit spreads, and nuked it for another 45 seconds. The spreads were melty-hot so I spread them all over the top. Then I ate it with a fork. The texture was a soft breadlike. If I'd used a rounded plastic bowl, I probably could have slid it out and held it, but it was pretty soft. The course almond flour came through in taste which was wonderful in combo with the apricot. If I'd added another tablespoon of fruit spread it would have been a dessert rather than breakfast. ;-)

I'd told myself if I could get past 21 days on induction, that I would start having something besides meat-eggs-cheese-veggie to eat once a day. So for breakfasts I'm going to be experimenting. Always with protein added tho. I thought I had to wait and get Carbquick, and it turns out I had some in the cupboard!!--never opened. Not exactly new, to understate it. But it worked perfectly well. My Davinci has sat in my fridge unopened for 2 years. Still seemed good to me. ;-)

OM

OzarkMama
Tue, May-31-05, 14:24
Ok, I think you might be a little disappointed. First, unbroken egg yolks tend to explode in the microwave. Secondly, it'd just end up looking like scrambled eggs in the middle of your chocolate cake. Oh yum... or not!
Heh heh! I didn't mean putting egg in chocolate, I meant having a yolky-egg in the middle of something (like sausage/bacon/egg) 'similar to' the way the molten chocolate one works. But since yolks explode that would NOT work well. Ah well. Thanks a ton for the tip!

Although I had a whole egg in the Apricot example I posted above, there was no trace of eggy in the final product. Which is good since that would be kinda gross in combo with pineapple-apricot. :-)

OM

LKPNYC
Tue, May-31-05, 14:38
I could have a muffin again!!! Sort of... thanks for sharing this simple and scrumptious recipe!

flychick
Sun, Jun-05-05, 10:15
cre8tivgrl, here is my Pancake Bowl Muffin:

1/4 cup atkin bake mix
1/4 cup flax meal

mix it all up, nuke for 2 minutes big mug and voila!!! :yum:

I added some rice bran (fiber), and cinnamin to the top, out of the micro i added a bit of cream and some butter that melted over it - pretty good!!!

Thanks for these great ideas!!

Signey
Fri, Jun-10-05, 20:08
Wasn't someone looking for liquid Splenda? I was in the "Products" are of the forum and was doing some shopping. I looked into one of the stores advertised there and found a liquid Splenda product. Hope this works for you. :)

Fiberfit (http://www17.netrition.com/nutragenics_fiberfit_page.html)

Sig

mary1940
Fri, Jul-01-05, 19:17
Where do you but CQ?

ddaniels
Fri, Jul-01-05, 20:08
By CQ do you mean CarbQuick? If so, I got mine at netrition.com.

mary1940
Fri, Jul-01-05, 20:17
Do you know if you can buy it at a retail store?

Signey
Sat, Jul-02-05, 02:52
Hi Mary,
If you go to carbalose.com (http://www.tovaindustries.com/carbalose/page1.html) on the left side of the screen you will see "Where can I find it?". Go there and plug in your zip code and it will give you the location of a store in your area.
Hope this helps. :)
Signey

IslandGirl
Wed, Jul-06-05, 18:41
Unfortunately, DaVinci's Dutch Apple syrup is full sugar. :( The only sugar free apple syrup of theirs that I've seen is green apple.

Nature's Flavors makes a splenda sweetened apple pie syrup, but I've never tried their products.

Hmmmmmmmm, Sipper Sweets (or Alpine, but no Splenda in that one) Hot Apple Drink mix might work nicely here. Use 'em dry or reconstitute.

Also, herb tea of the Apple Cinnamon variety/flavour could be made, strong, for a flavoring boost, 1 teabag in a half-cup of hot water, for example.

.....then again, if you don't mind the green colour, nothing wrong with the DaVinci Green Apple, just add some cinnamon for the taste of pie...

~~~~~~~~~~~

IslandGirl
Wed, Jul-06-05, 18:49
... there is not a lot of discussion about the 'blending' of flour-ish sources, as much as there is about the blending of sweetener sources.

Does blending for example, carbquick and almond meal and vanilla whey protein powder and flax meal together provide some disgusting taste? Because it seems to me that a blend of stuff could save on money, allow a nice mix of cal/carb/texture/nutrients/protein, and you could actually make up a mix once a week of blended stuff and just keep it in the fridge in a plastic bowl... with a scoop... scoop it into your bowl, dump in whatever else and be done.

OM

Greetings, OM! I think you'll find that the several dozen variants of 'Bake Mix' and 'Flour' recipes scattered throughout the Kitchen forum and in the original Readers' Recipes section pretty much ARE those kinds of blends. There's soy-based and soy-free and dairy-free and so on and so on. Good place to find these flour-ish "blend" recipes is in any Bread or Baked Goods type section...

IslandGirl
Wed, Jul-06-05, 18:56
Yeah, you're right - The only penalities would be $$$ spent on litigation - and no doubtedly a hefty sum to settle. Illegal splenda - go figure! :lol:

Splenda® (note the Registered Trademark symbol...;) ) Corporation has been known to lean on the distributors and suppliers to those they find in violation (i.e., haven't paid THEM licensing fees or got permission to use the product) and refuse to sell the product to certain companies in the past, literally shutting them down. Even imported products, example being those Australian 'jello' packages sweetened with Splenda/sucralose (Cottee was the brand name) that CarbSmart among others was importing some years back. The 'reason' was the coloring agents didn't match the FDA approved coloring agents, so SOMEBODY complained to the FDA and they became illegal to import. Guess who?

So sad. They won't make the tabletop liquid sweetener in North America themselves, but they won't let anyone else make it either... piggees.

Check out the liquid Splenda thread and poll in the Products forum, if it's still there at the top...and you have a few hours ;)

---

IslandGirl
Wed, Jul-06-05, 19:08
I have been truly inspired by this whole Bowl-Muffin thing, it's TOO much fun and also nicely quick and easy (I'm back in school fulltime and classes START at 7:30 a.m., yuck!).

So I've read every single post and experiment, and I've been playing with this, trying out different stuff inspired by you all, and especially YOU, NancyLC :lol:

The Chicken & Sage was kinda cool, I liked the whole Bacon Egg McBowlMuffin thing, too. One thing I HAVE learned is that most of these (if without egg especially, they get a little dry) taste best while still warm. Preferably BUTTERED. :lol:

I haven't tried the Chocolate, that's next, but I did kind of fancy something with tang and zip today and was awfully hungry after classes, so instead of diving into the fridge, I decided to do the Lemon Thing I've been thinking about.

Here's the results, and let me tell you, it's YUMMY! This would make a pretty fine base for some whipping cream and raspberries or blueberries (some kind of affinity for lemon?)...

* Exported from MasterCook *

CQ Bowl Muffin - Lemon Butter

Recipe By : Judi IslandGirl, 'Carbers' Kitchen Counter™
Serving Size : 4
Preparation Time :0:10
Categories : 00-05G, DaVinci Gourmet SF Syrup, Muffins

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice -- 1 small lemon
1 tablespoon lemon zest -- same lemon
2 tablespoons syrup, sf DaVinci Lemon
1 whole large egg, veggie-fed free-range
75 grams CarbQuick Bake Mix -- 3/4 Cup
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
15 grams butter -- 1 Tbsp
1 tablespoon syrup, sf DaVinci Lemon

Using a small to medium size microwave proof bowl ('tupperware' style works well
and is very "nonstick", just pops out when warm), beat together the lemon, syrup
and egg til well-blended.
Spoon in the CQ and the baking powder, then stir together til smooth and evenly
blended.

Microwave for 2 minutes (1000 watts, turntable) or til firm to the touch on top.

Poke or score the top (still in the bowl and still warm) and lightly spread the
butter so it melts in; tip out onto a small plate and then score the 'new' top
into quarters or eighths (finger food size) and drizzle the final tablespoon of
DaVinci Lemon flavour syrup.

Scarf while still warm!

Serving Ideas : breakfast, snack, dessert....would be great with BERRIES on top!

Source: "INSPIRED absolutely INSPIRED by NancyLC at lowcarb.ca Forums"
Copyright: "© LowCarb FoodExperts Canada ®"
Start to Finish Time: "0:15"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 103 Calories; 8g Fat (53.5% calories from
fat); 5g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 50mg Cholesterol; 78mg
Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other
Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2005-07-06
Whole Recipe (net 13g carb): 413 Calories; 33g Fat (53.5% calories from fat); 19g
Protein; 45g Carbohydrate; 32g Dietary Fiber; 199mg Cholesterol; 311mg Sodium.

Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 5 1/2 Fat; 0 Other
Carbohydrates.

KellyMariB
Fri, Jul-08-05, 08:57
Just made one of those "breakfast bowl omelets"!

1/3 cup almond meal
1 egg
a little over 1/8 tsp. baking powder
a little bit of shredded cheese
a small handful of cooked bacon pieces

Put a little bit of butter on top after it was done. That really hit the spot! :yum:

Could I add flaxmeal to this and also make it with no bacon?

Kelly

KellyMariB
Fri, Jul-08-05, 09:19
OMG. I tried a pancake version this morning and I swear it is THE BEST thing I've had in a long, long time! :)

1/4 cup atkin bake mix
1/4 cup flax meal

Nuked for 2 minutes and as promised by Nancy, I had one happy tummy!!!

Heavenly! :)

Okay, I used

1/4 cup CarbQuik
1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 cup mixture of sf vanilla syrup, heavy cream and water
Nuked for 2 minutes and I will eat this every day! :)

I was trying to find a way to use flax everyday and this is good. thanks for telling me about this site. (a friendly poster from another LC board helped me find this board) :thup:

Kelly

Nancy LC
Fri, Jul-08-05, 11:11
Aw shucks, IslandGirl! :) I am so glad you're having fun with them! I wish I was. My new diet doesn't allow such luxuries. However, I'll probabyl take a maintenance break for a couple of weeks at the end of the month and then... I'm going to enjoy Bowl Muffins again.

I see you're a fanatic for lemon like I am! :D

So sad. They won't make the tabletop liquid sweetener in North America themselves, but they won't let anyone else make it either... piggees.

Clearly they need a little competition in the marketplace to loosen their grip!
Maybe I should order more Sweetzfree before Splenda leans on them. Although, I must say it is a little too concentrated for my preferences.

waterwoman
Fri, Jul-08-05, 15:50
NancyLC, what a terrific concept you've come up with! I was so sceptical, but printed out your ideas and then went in the kitchen to try it out. I was sooooo impressed- whodathunk? Since then, I have mentioned it a few times on another thread and somehow ended up getting posted twice - but I thank you for a terrific idea :thup: I don't use the Carbquik, but tried it with my protein powder, baking powder and a variety of s.f. syrups - tried the omelet one and made one for hubby's breakfast one a.m. hmmm, he didn't rave, but then he isn't given to raving anyway :) Thank you again - really happy about this new idea - and it seems to have no limits-except in our imagination!

BuN*BuN
Fri, Jul-08-05, 20:23
W-O-w...Thank you Nancy, for a great recipe idea! I tried a pumpkin version of this muffin, toasted, buttered... it was so delicious that if I hadn't made it myself, I wouldn't have believed it was microwave food... Loved it.

WyoDiva
Thu, Jul-28-05, 08:54
Hey, Nancy -

Okay, I keep seeing folks bump this recipe, and of course, the link is part of your signature.

So, yesterday, I thought, 'what the heck - let's print it and try it.'

OHMIGAWD...it's so good (not that I'm telling you anything you DON'T know. I made mine with flaxmeal and vanilla whey powder for flourish thingies. First batch was with vanilla syrup and Hood milk and a dash of cinnamon, lightly dotted with butter once cooked. Second batch was flax/whey combo mixed with carmel and chocolate syrup. BOTH WERE FABULOUS!!!!

Thanks for the recipe - I just wish I hadn't waited so long to try it! :lol:

Supermomm4
Thu, Aug-04-05, 12:07
Same here :)
I found a pancake mix version from CarbSmart and decided to use that. I bought their regular mix too.

I made a bowl pancake !

2 tablespoons pancake mix (1 net gram)
2 tablespoons cream cheese
cinnamon
1 packet Splenda
2 eggs

It made one nicely sized pancake and was extremely fluffy !
I just topped it with some sugar free syrup and let it soak in before I ate it. I now eat one just about everyday right before I swim.
Thanks for the recipe ideas .. it literally has given me back hope that I will stay with this way of eating.

Nancy LC
Thu, Aug-04-05, 15:37
LOL! I'm glad folks are enjoying them. I'm a little jealous because my very strict diet I'm on now, I can't eat them. Have one for me, ok?

Voo36
Mon, Aug-08-05, 15:01
omg.. thanks so much for coming up with an idea so that I dont have to throw that $15 can of Atkins vanilla bake mix out ! lmao... my frugal soul was about to have a fit over that, but couldnt find any other earthly use for it ... well.. maybe chunk it in with the mortar that the bricklayer was using on the house ???

Added a tsp of cocoa, an egg, cream and lil bit of vanilla... made a passing fair brownie Ima tell you !

Thanks again, cleverness and inventiveness like yours sure do make this lc world a lot easier to tolerate.

Be well all .

heels
Mon, Aug-08-05, 15:09
Has anybody seen this site with no carb sauces, etc?
http://www.waldenfarms.com/

LadyArya
Thu, Aug-11-05, 00:59
Ok so I wanted to try this, but I couldnt find atkins bake mix or carbquick anywhere...

Instead, I went to my local health food store (since I was out of flax anyway) and found Bob's Red Mill low carb bake mix.

Finally got around to trying it this morning using 1/4c bake mix, 1 tblsp flax meal (also Bob's Red Mill), a little over 1/4c raspberry syrup and an egg. Holy cow! It tasted like pancakes with strawberry syrup (odd since I used raspberry, I know... but hey...) Man the one thing I missed was going to Ihop for pancakes drown in strawberry syrup... this was the best substitute ever!

Made myself a second one after I came back from the gym :)

Nancy LC
Thu, Aug-11-05, 09:52
Ok so I wanted to try this, but I couldnt find atkins bake mix or carbquick anywhere...

www.netrition.com

It isn't stocked in many stores. :)

WyoDiva
Thu, Aug-11-05, 13:39
The Bob's Red Mill Bake Mix, I've found, gives one a 'firmer' product than, for example, the flax and vanilla whey protein powder combination I was using...BUT...the carb count is several points higher. Yummy no matter which way I make it. :)

Nancy, I'm currently doing an M&E fast (too many bowl muffins?? heehee), so I'll have one for you next week when I'm done!

KellyMariB
Fri, Aug-12-05, 06:37
and found Bob's Red Mill low carb bake mix.>>

I had never heard of this and they have it at netrition. I'll have to try it after I go through my atkins bake mixes and carbquik. lol

Kelly

PML
Fri, Aug-12-05, 11:39
I haven't tried the bowl muffins yet. I have read all of the posts and became a bit overwhelmed by all the information and variations. So, I decided to go through and make a condensed version of the thread that includes the original recipe and all of the major variations that you have all tried.

I just wanted to let everyone know and give you a link (Bowl Muffins (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost.php?p=5484843&postcount=157)) in case you would like to see the recipe and variations in a condensed format.

Hope it helps someone else.

Phyllis

Nancy LC
Fri, Aug-12-05, 11:45
Good job!

Its hard for me to come up with actual recipes since I kind of cook without measuring stuff and just grab whatever seems right and throw it in. :)

PML
Fri, Aug-12-05, 14:51
Thanks! :D

waterwoman
Fri, Aug-12-05, 15:21
I mixed some diced green chilie, dried onions, garlic pwdr., grated cheddar cheese, natural protein pwdr, taco seasoning, some water and nuked for 2 mins. Can add a bit of chopped tomatoe. Top with a little sour cream if desired. Sorta like a tamale (yes it is a bit of a stretch :lol: ) These things and the different combinations are addictive - I am going to make a coconut cream cheese pie -chopped spaghetti squash, protein pwdr, coconut flavoring, some cream cheese & some s.f. french vanilla syrup (no coconut syrup)- this should be a nice treat for desert for 2 if it comes out ok-I find so far, all the different combinations are edible :yum:

Nancy, congrats on losing the 13# - sounds like you have found success :D

LadyArya
Sun, Aug-14-05, 03:40
and found Bob's Red Mill low carb bake mix.>>

I had never heard of this and they have it at netrition. I'll have to try it after I go through my atkins bake mixes and carbquik. lol

Kelly

Yeah it's good stuff. I always found the atkins mixes a little hard to choke down... they just seemed... I don't know... drier maybe? There was just something about the consistency of them I didn't like.

And then I couldn't find it anymore so the point was moot anyway :D

But the Bob's Red Mill has a nice flavor to it and whatever it was that bothered me about the Atkins mixes, this doesn't have. I think I've found my brand :thup:

cajuda
Sun, Aug-14-05, 05:12
WOW, PML!!! What a loooot of work you put into this (recipe and variations in 1 place). I'm going to print it out. Thank you SO much!! :rheart:

PML
Sun, Aug-14-05, 07:01
Cajuda, you are welcome! :) Now, I wish I had made a note of the "poster" for each of these variations because it would be nice to know in case anyone wants to address a post directly to them. But if I had done that... I might still be working on it!!! Maybe I can work on that a little at a time in the future.

By the way, I made a couple of updates to the list. I wasn't sure how I was going to do this so that others could easily locate the new additions. I decided to make a note at the top with the date that additions were made and mark the additions with a big red *. We will see how this works out.

Phyllis

PML
Sun, Aug-14-05, 07:25
MichelleBe,

I made your "bread" version. OMG was it wonderful! It had the most amazing flavor! (I used golden flax that I ground myself.) I made one "batch" and I made a half ham and cheese sandwhich and spread the rest with Laughing Cow cheese. I think it would have been wonderful with butter spread on it for a "dinner roll", too.

Can you give me some idea of how much water you added and the dimensions of your "personal casserole" dish and about how long you nuked it?

In your post you said "water till pancake consistancy". Mine never came close to looking like pancake batter because of the flax... gooey glob... and I think that I may have added too much water. After I got it mixed up, it looked like way too much "batter" so I divided it and nuked it in one of the sandwich size ziploc containers. The first one, I nuked for about 2.5 minutes. I made a half ham and cheese sandwich and the flavor was incredible! However, although the edges really had the texture of bread, the center was still moist and "wet". So I nuked the second one for 5 minutes. It did much better and the edges were absolutely "bread"- like but the center was still moist. So, I put it in the oven to dry it out.

Can you give me any guidance on perfecting the technique? Have you ever tried baking it in the oven?

Thank you so much for this variation! It was fabulous and if I can perfect the ingredients and technique... I can use this for all my bread needs. (I even used the old ucky Atkins bake mix that I have had in the freezer forever... there was not even a hint of it's disgusting taste in the end product!)

Thanks again! Everyone should try this... it is delicious!

Phyllis

Iowagirl
Sat, Aug-27-05, 23:10
Ok I have not read all the posts but I want to say thanks for this bowl muffin invention. I had purchased Carbquik but then never used it so I'm grateful to have finally found its purpose. I made the egg and bacon muffin this morning and while the bacon was a bit undercooked it was still tasty. Perhaps next time I will use ham.

Tomorrow I am looking forward to the sweet variety with some frozen blueberries. Thanks again for posting.

jamaicaker
Sat, Aug-27-05, 23:15
how many calories and carbs do bowl muffins have?

Iowagirl
Sat, Aug-27-05, 23:21
Depends on which recipe you are following.

jamaicaker
Sat, Aug-27-05, 23:22
I have carbsense 0 carb baking mix. What would the carbs be if i used this in place of the CQ

Iowagirl
Sat, Aug-27-05, 23:24
Well there are 10 pages of recipes - some with fruit, some with eggs, some with bacon, etc. I guess I would just add up the carb totals of whatever ingredients you plan to use.

jamaicaker
Sat, Aug-27-05, 23:39
I mean, before you put the fillings in.

jamaicaker
Sun, Aug-28-05, 22:33
*bump* :help:

Iowagirl
Mon, Aug-29-05, 05:27
Carbsense- 0
Flax - 1?
Egg -1 ?

I have no idea as to the calories.

Nancy LC
Mon, Aug-29-05, 08:36
Ok I have not read all the posts but I want to say thanks for this bowl muffin invention. I had purchased Carbquik but then never used it so I'm grateful to have finally found its purpose. I made the egg and bacon muffin this morning and while the bacon was a bit undercooked it was still tasty. Perhaps next time I will use ham.

Tomorrow I am looking forward to the sweet variety with some frozen blueberries. Thanks again for posting.

Oh good! glad you enjoyed it! I cooked the bacon before I put it in the muffin. I usually cook a whole thing of it up ahead of time then stick it in the fridge or freezer and get what I need!

I'm back to bowl muffins again for myself. I'm on a 2 week diet break from my very strict diet to a higher calorie low-carb diet. So I packed BM (bowl muffin *giggle*) ingredients and took it to work. I assemble it here in a paper bowl and microwave it! Instant yum!

Iowagirl
Mon, Aug-29-05, 08:39
I made the fruit bowl muffin, Sunday, using frozen blueberries. Couldn't help but spread a little cream cheese on top. Very good!

annasophia
Tue, Aug-30-05, 12:35
do these stall anyone/????

KellyMariB
Wed, Aug-31-05, 07:14
It hasn't caused me to stall or gain. I use the pancake type recipe. hth's

Kelly

Nancy LC
Wed, Aug-31-05, 08:42
I found my stalls were directly related to calorie intake, so if you're careful, they shouldn't stall you. However, I can't guarantee that if you eat many every day they won't cause a problem. :p They have around 250 calories if you use 1 egg and 1/3 cup of CQ. Using nut flours will raise the calorie count by a lot. And flax has around 30 calories per Tblspoon.

vmay
Thu, Sep-01-05, 08:34
I'm very excited about this. I just found this thread today. I'm going to get some carbquick today!

Nancy LC
Thu, Sep-01-05, 09:27
I have a new (to me) variation! I wanted lemon but I don't have any lemon SF syrup. So I mixed in lemon juice and enough liquid splenda to make it plenty sweet, along with my egg. Its WONDERFUL! If I had had lemon zest, I would have thrown it in too. Can't have too much lemon, now can you?

cococarby
Fri, Sep-02-05, 23:27
Don't know if anyone's done this one already, but tonight I made a strawberrry shortcake bowl muffin:

I sliced 4 large strawberries, layed them on the bottom of my bowl and sprinkled them w/ splenda.\
(They were frozen strawberries, so I defrosted them first and kept their "juice" in the bowl.)
Then I mixed 1/4 cup Carbquik with 1/4 cup of French Vanilla Davinci syrup and poured this over the strawberries.
Microwave for 2 minutes.

I didnt have any whipped cream, but I did have sour cream (which I looooove on top of fresh strawberries!) I mixtured a little sour cream w/ a splash of the french vanilla davinci and drizzled it over the shortcake.

It was great! The muffin part really soaked up the strawberry juice so it was really moist and decadent! It tasted exactly like real strawberry shortcake. You guys gotta try it!

IslandGirl
Sat, Sep-03-05, 02:32
Aw shucks, IslandGirl! :) I am so glad you're having fun with them! ...
I see you're a fanatic for lemon like I am! :D
Maybe I should order more Sweetzfree before Splenda leans on them. Although, I must say it is a little too concentrated for my preferences.

I just MAY treat myself to a Lime version one of these days....can't have too much Lemon OR Lime...:D

Hey, Nancy, with the SweetzFree (assuming you can still get it or even if you have it on your shelf still), add filtered water in precisely the same volume as you have SweetzFree, i.e., if you have a 1 FL. OZ. container, add 1 FL. OZ./2 Tablespoons of filtered water -- you'll need a new container tho :agree: -- now you can use a double measure instead of "drops"... e.g., where 1/16th Tsp was called for, you can use 1/8th of a teaspoon or "double". If it's still too awkward, do an increase by another double and you can use the tripling method (I'd mark this on tape on the side of the container though).

No need to be irritated everytime you use something, now is there? ;)

Nancy LC
Sat, Sep-03-05, 09:32
I've been thinking of doing that. I've used probably about half my bottle now, I could carefully weigh it in grams and double the water. But I really hate that bottle it came in the little dropper thing doesn't work well. It doesn't close completely and opening it is very hard. It needs some WD40 on the hinge. Perhaps I can find a new bottle for it. Maybe a pharmacy would have something.

Iowagirl
Sat, Sep-03-05, 09:54
This morning I made the muffin with 2 eggs, some leftover meatballs chopped up, mozzarella cheese and then topped it with a little onion and chive flavored cream cheese. Tasty!

Nancy LC
Sat, Sep-03-05, 10:55
Wow! That sounds really good. I bet one could make a pizza muffin bowl, which sounds a bit like what you did!

zajack
Sat, Sep-03-05, 14:48
Just a note for those who have a "cash & carry" aka United Grocers nearby...they sell a HUGE variety of SF syrups (like 3 different brands and they are all $3.40 - 3.89 per bottle (yep, the big ones :agree: ). Everything from SF B-52 to English toffee and Tiramisu (although the tiramisu seems to come and go)

Iowagirl
Sat, Sep-03-05, 15:05
What??? Where do you live, Zajack? I'm in Iowa (obviously), never heard of United Grocers.

zajack
Sat, Sep-03-05, 15:35
Live in Oregon...some people know the store as cash&carry...others as united grocers. I know they're elsewhere because I remember talking to people in the mid west and california about them. It's a restaurant supply house but is open to the public with no membership fees. (gotta love it)

Iowagirl
Sat, Sep-03-05, 18:08
We have a TPC, I think that is also a cash and carry. I'll look into it. Thanks!

waterwoman
Sun, Sep-04-05, 09:10
I haven't used the Carbquik, but the bowl muffins work great with the protein powder I use (Designers Whey-natural) - 90 cal. 2 g. carb-I made a mexican flavor one and it was sort of like a tamale - :yum:

Iowagirl
Sun, Sep-04-05, 09:18
Sounds good! Share the recipe!

IslandGirl
Mon, Sep-05-05, 12:28
Live in Oregon...some people know the store as cash&carry...others as united grocers. I know they're elsewhere because I remember talking to people in the mid west and california about them. It's a restaurant supply house but is open to the public with no membership fees. (gotta love it)

United Grocers
Cash & Carry
also known (in some states) as

Smart & Final
I have one of their old info sheets here, under the name United Grocers/Cash & Carry, they're in Oregon, California, Idaho and Washington, far as I can tell.

IslandGirl
Mon, Sep-05-05, 12:30
I've been thinking of doing that. I've used probably about half my bottle now, I could carefully weigh it in grams and double the water. But I really hate that bottle it came in the little dropper thing doesn't work well. It doesn't close completely and opening it is very hard. It needs some WD40 on the hinge. Perhaps I can find a new bottle for it. Maybe a pharmacy would have something.

Great Idea! I found a bunch of little dropper bottles (that actually work) in either a pharmacy or a dollar store (years ago:lol: can't remember exactly) for my liquid stevia concoctions, Ms. Nancy :wave:

IslandGirl
Mon, Sep-05-05, 12:39
Now, if I remember correctly, somebody referenced the 3-Minute Chocolate Cake at the www.lowcarbfriends.com (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com) recipe collection, SOMEWHERE in this fabulous thread.

So, I started messing around with that one, just because. Made some tweaks and mods, increased the volume, and initiated my brand new silicon bundt cake pan in the microwave! Besides, I really had to produce my brother's chocolate birthday cake in a HURRY and got a late start, so there wasn't time for the oven :lol:;):lol: Ended up using a heatproof measuring 2-cupper, a bowl (ok, 2 bowls:o) and the bundt pan...not bad!

So here's the end result, which I served up with bittersweet chocolate shavings on top, fresh strawberries in the 'hole', and whipped cream on the side.

* Exported from MasterCook *

5-Minute Chocolate Cake

Recipe By : Judi IslandGirl, 'Carbers' Kitchen Counter™
Serving Size : 16
Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :
06-10G -- Cakes, Icings & Pies -- Chocolate -- Muffins
-- Veggie Ovo-Lacto

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup Wheat Protein Isolate, Carbers' Kitchen
1 cup ground almonds
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
4 pinches salt
1/2 cup Cocoa Poweder, Unsweetened, Dark Euro -- sifted
6 tablespoons Erythritol crystals
3 ounces chocolate chips, Bakers' Semi-Sweet -- 6 tbsp
1 1/2 ounces safflower oil
1 1/2 ounces coconut oil -- or Keto Butta
5 whole large eggs, Born 3
4 teaspoons sweetener, liquid Sugar Twin
3 tablespoons Vanilla Extract, Pure Baker's
1/4 cup Half and Half -- 10% MF Cream

Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. Melt butter, oil and chocolate chips together (do not boil), stirring til well-blended. Beat eggs, liquid sweetener, vanilla and half-and-half til completly blended, then beat in (drizzling) melted butter/chocolate mixture. Pour egg mixture into a well in the dry mixture, and beat thoroughly til combined.

4-5 minutes in a 1000w microwave, using a silicon bundt pan (knife or toothpick comes out clean).

cool 5 minutes in the pan, then invert onto a rack or heatproof plate.

Source: "original inspiration, GrandmaLee's famous 3-Minute Chocolate Cake on www.lowcarbfriends.com"
Copyright: "© LowCarb FoodExperts Canada ®"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Serving Ideas : whipping cream, fresh strawberries, chocolate shavings

NOTES : 2005-09-02
Whole Recipe: 2650 Calories; 188g Fat (65.1% calories from fat); 106g Protein; 121g Carbohydrate; 29g Dietary Fiber; 852mg Cholesterol; 2426mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 9 Lean Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 31 1/2 Fat; 4 Other Carbohydrates.
1/2th Serving: 221 Calories; 16g Fat (65.1% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 71mg Cholesterol; 202mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
1/16th Serving: 166 Calories; 12g Fat (65.1% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 53mg Cholesterol; 152mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

ddaniels
Mon, Sep-05-05, 13:29
Wow! This looks incredible! If you haven't already, you might want to post it as its own recipe instead of in the bowl muffin area, so other people can get a look at this!

In the egg part of the recipe, it says 5 whole eggs. Born 3 What's Born 3?

IslandGirl
Mon, Sep-05-05, 14:25
Wow! This looks incredible! If you haven't already, you might want to post it as its own recipe instead of in the bowl muffin area, so other people can get a look at this!

In the egg part of the recipe, it says 5 whole eggs. Born 3 What's Born 3?

Oh those are "omega-3 eggs", veggie fed including flaxseed meal and no antibiotics and all that stuff. Local brand, here in Western Canada.

ddaniels
Mon, Sep-05-05, 15:26
Oh those are "omega-3 eggs", veggie fed including flaxseed meal and no antibiotics and all that stuff. Local brand, here in Western Canada.

Wow...them's healthy chickens!

PML
Tue, Sep-06-05, 08:06
Update: Bowl Muffins (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost.php?p=5484843&postcount=157), recipe and condensed list of variations

Phyllis

Iowagirl
Tue, Sep-06-05, 08:28
Excellent job, PML - thanks!

ddaniels
Tue, Sep-06-05, 10:35
Thanks so much for taking the time to do that. It really is helpful to have it condensed like that! :thup:

zajack
Tue, Sep-06-05, 17:02
Gotta say...I figured..."oh, how could could they be?" Yeah...well I apologize ....with all my heart and soul. These are awesome! :agree: Made one today with carbsense baking mix, one egg, splash of SF syrup and 1tblsp cocoa. It tasted like a chocolate muffing and had 210 calories, 7 total carbs, 5 gr fiber. I'll be having breakfast more often!!!! Thanks again!!!

PML
Wed, Sep-07-05, 06:28
You are welcome!!! :D

Phyllis

Nancy LC
Wed, Sep-07-05, 08:36
I just made a Bowl Pancake. :)

1/3 cup Carbquik
1 T Flaxmeal
1 egg
A few drops maple extract and vanilla extract.
SF Maple syrup
A pat of butter
Some water

I took this to work to mix, so I had to use a separate container to carry the egg. I had put the extracts into the container with the egg and shook it like mad to mix it well and breakup the yolk. Then I mixed the egg, with a little extra water, into the carbquik/flax mixture until it was pretty wet.

Then I nuked it for 2 minutes and also nuked the syrup and butter for 20 seconds to warm it. I poured the syrup and butter over the top of my bowl muffin.

Yum!

Nancy LC
Thu, Sep-08-05, 10:51
I think I'm onto something new: Bowl Biscuit

I tried last night and made a major boo-boo. But I'm going to try again tonight. I'll let you know if I succeed. BTW: My failure was tasty!

zajack
Thu, Sep-08-05, 11:45
Wow...hadnt even thought of using maple flavors....thanks again!!! ROFL ...cant believe how much I like knowing about this recipe. I cant get the 0 carb baking mix around here anymore though and just ordered a bunch at netrition cause now I'll be using it. (I've had the box I have now for almost 8 months.) :lol:

Nancy LC
Fri, Sep-09-05, 08:42
Ok! Perfected the Bowl Biscuit last night. Wow! It was just as good as the REAL biscuit I had had a few weeks back.

1/3 cup Carbquik (or other bakemix)
about 1-2 tsp butter
Pinch of salt
1/2 an egg
a bit of buttermilk

Mix the salt and flour.

I cut the butter into small chunks and used my hands to grind the butter and flour together. The goal is to get a little butter coating all the flour.

Put the egg into a small container and shake it so that it is well beaten. Pour half the egg into the flour/butter mixture.

Now add enough buttermilk so that you get something that is a little thicker than a normal bowl muffin. If you get too much liquid, add some more flour. You don't want it to be biscuit thick, like you were forming it into a biscuit and dropping it on a pan, but you also don't want it to be so thin it is too moist.

Microwave for 2 minutes.

Then... take it out of the microwave, pull it out of the bowl, and toast it for a bit in the toaster oven to give it a nice brown crust on the outside. If you've got a toaster you can just split it in half and toast it that way.

Split in half and enjoy!

Pitclerk
Fri, Sep-09-05, 13:58
Oh Nancy.... thank you SO much for posting the biscuit muffin.... I will try that by tomorrow for sure.... I have been helped tremendously by reading your various posts.... EVERYTHING I have tried has been delicious!!!.... Thanks again dear....

Nancy LC
Fri, Sep-09-05, 15:40
Glad you are enjoying it! I'm using the other half of the egg in a Bowl Biscuit tonight! And have it with a nice big bowl of spicy low carb chili.

Nancy LC
Fri, Sep-09-05, 18:27
Another report from the Kitchen Front.

I just made Lemon Curd. Both low carb and low fat and low calorie. Its still cooling so I don't really know if it came out well. But the plan is to smear it on bowl muffins, and low carb yogurt. I'll post the recipe when I've confirmed it is a good recipe. :p

Ok, confirming it tastes GREAT! I just had it on top of a bowl muffin and my mouth is happy. Lemon Curd (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost.php?p=5558300&postcount=27)

If you add the butter, I didn't, it'd probably be even better. Frankly I don't miss it without the butter and I'm watching my calories so I'm happy.

Nancy LC
Fri, Sep-09-05, 20:37
Just wanted to provide this link. Looks like they have almond flour and I have bought Polydextrose there, which is what I use to make syrups.
http://www.store.honeyvillegrain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=288

I just ordered oat fiber (0 carbs, all fiber), Polydextrose and Hi-Maize resistant starch from them.

Pitclerk
Sat, Sep-10-05, 10:32
Am posting this to all my new online LC friends who were kind enough to post in my journal yesterday.... (and thank you for the welcome).... I send out a "Sunshine Update" usually once a week to my email buddies and family.... I will start (as of this morning) posting it in my journal as well.... if you have the time to visit, it may give you a sense of who I am (many people would like to make sense of who I am).... a bit faster than multiple posts.... you won't know half of what I am talking about, but you WILL understand some of my trials and tribulations living with "Poor Ray"..... hope to reach some of you!!

zajack
Sun, Sep-11-05, 01:09
Wow...just had two incredible ideas. A bisquit bowl-muffin with homemade sausage gravy... :yum: What else? Well...I've never tried this but quite a few people use whipped cream cheese with splenda or sf syrup as a snack. I dont know about that...but it sounds like it would be incredible to have a lemon bowl-muffin with lemon cream cheese frosting...or a chocolate one with sf b52 cream cheese. Dont think I'll be doing it for quite a while...but now that i've thought of it...I know I'll try it at some point! :lol:

BTW...anyone use carbsense zero carb baking mix? That's what I've been using. Just curious.

vmay
Sun, Sep-11-05, 12:53
hi,
I did 1/3 cup flax meal, 1 egg, a lot of cinnamon (maybe 1 tsp), tiny bit of vanilla, and about 1 tbsp 0 carb maple syrup. (Sorry I don't measure. Just eyeball). Spread with butter. It was very much like those harvest grain pancakes at IHOP.

It was very good and not too sweet. You could top with more syrup.
Valerie

cekayak
Thu, Sep-15-05, 11:17
I just found the bowl muffin concept. as opposed to the bowl muffin recipe. lol. I am now your devoted fan, ready to start a Nancy Fan Club. You have saved my life style. Not just my LC lifestyle. Thank you, thank you, thank you for starting this thread.
I did the gingerbread and it was wonderful. I just bought a bottle of sugar free Danish Pastry flavor from DaVinci, Wow did that make a joyful experience for my mouth. Oh yeah.
Maggie

Nancy LC
Thu, Sep-15-05, 11:35
Woo woo! Sounds like you need some Lemon Curd (http://forums.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=265911) for on top of that muffin! Although, maybe I shouldn't get you started, you'll end up buying 3 dozen eggs at a time like I am now. :p

lonewolf
Fri, Sep-16-05, 23:15
Just wanted to chime in how much i LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE bowl muffins! :) I will have to try that bowl biscuit, and i'm REALLY looking forward to trying the "stuffing" bowl muffin that was posted a hwile back. I havne't had a chance yet. However, I'm going to probably mkae turkey tomorrow for dinner with my prarents, and that might be a good time to try it! :)

These make such and excellent breakfast and really keep me going all day thorugh work and the gym before i get home to eat again. I love it. I wish i were as inventive as y'all are. :) I've made a few creations, like the cinnamon toast bowl muffin, but some of these ideas are out of htis world

Iowagirl
Sat, Sep-17-05, 07:07
I have used Carbquik and Carbsense, Zajack. Both seem to work well.

Nancy LC
Sun, Sep-18-05, 20:15
I got a few new baking supplies from Honeyville grains: Resistant starch and oat fiber. Tonight my bowl muffin was especially light and fluffy. I added some oat fiber to it (0 carbs) and I also tossed in some yogurt cheese (yogurt with the whey drained off). Not sure which element gave it that special cake texture, but it was very nice!

Nancy LC
Tue, Sep-20-05, 20:25
I made my bowl muffin tonight from about:

1T of Carbquik
1T of Hi-Maize Resistant Starch (0 calories for 28 g)
2T of Oat Fiber (5 calories per 28 g)
1 Egg
SF Vanilla syrup
========================
100 calories -- 1 carb, 20g of fiber

Tasted pretty good but I think it needed more syrup. I poured some black cherry syrup on top and it perked it right up.

I think this bowl muffin is low enough calorie I can eat it on my new diet.

ddaniels
Wed, Sep-21-05, 08:35
I made my bowl muffin tonight from about:

1T of Carbquik
1T of Hi-Maize Resistant Starch (0 calories for 28 g)
2T of Oat Fiber (5 calories per 28 g)
1 Egg
SF Vanilla syrup
========================
100 calories -- 1 carb, 20g of fiber

Tasted pretty good but I think it needed more syrup. I poured some black cherry syrup on top and it perked it right up.

I think this bowl muffin is low enough calorie I can eat it on my new diet.

Did it fill you up? That's where I get messed up when I try to keep my calories down- I get hungry then. So, I'm always on the look out for low cal and filling!

Nancy LC
Wed, Sep-21-05, 09:27
Well, last night's muffin was after supper, so yeah, it did!

I just had another for breakfast. I'll let you know if it sticks with me. I've always had issues with them not sticking with me for 4 hours straight, so I brought a bit of yogurt just in case. I definitely have a larger budget than 100 calories for breakfast, so there's no need for me not to eat it. Still, I'll see how long I can go on just my ultra-low cal bowl muffin and report back.

I did wake up extra hungry this morning. That might skew the results a bit.

ddaniels
Wed, Sep-21-05, 10:15
Ok- thanks! If it does turn out to be a very filling kind of muffin, you've created something you should patent- a super easy, super quick, super low-cal, super filling and super tasty meal! There ought to be a way to market this so you make some big bucks!

Nancy LC
Wed, Sep-21-05, 10:31
Well, unfortunately I don't think it is any more filling than a normal bowl muffin. I think I've gotten about a 2 hour ride out of it. Still... the calories are so crazy low, I can't complain! I could probably eat almost 3 of them and be at the calorie level a normal bowl muffin would be and its just as filling.

I'm gonna go eat my yogurt now. :D

ddaniels
Wed, Sep-21-05, 11:44
I think you should at least copyright the "bowl muffin' word! I've seen it listed in the recipe section at at least one other site- you've started a whole cooking craze! Here it is at carbquick-

http://www.tovaindustries.com/carbalose/recipe2.php?c=93

Nancy LC
Wed, Sep-21-05, 11:53
Wow! I'm famous. :D Or well... the bowl muffin is. I found it on another forum too. Well, it'd be a shame if people who invent silly things like this all copyrighted them. Then I'd have to charge a penny for every bowl muffin everyone eats! :D Just kidding.

I hearby declare the Bowl Muffin to be Open Source. I just have to figure out how to check it into source forge.

waterwoman
Wed, Sep-21-05, 15:09
NancyLC, I love your concept and the clever ways people have of enlarging on the idea - I posted it on a Somersize forum (gave you the credit of course) and many people were interested - since ssers don't eat too many "muffins", it probably got passed over, so I suppose a name change would be in order for the SSer gang - when I make mine I use the protein powder and make it a pro/fat bowl meal, that way I'm not mixing carbs and fat. Any way I have done it, I've never had to throw one away!

I did one with minced spaghetti squash, protein pwdr (1 scoop), 1tsp. baking pwdr, coconut oil & s.f. syrup, an egg and some cream cheese - just enough to fit a cereal bowl - it was marvelous-probably could have used just the egg white to save calories & fat.

You are to be commended for your inventive mind :thup: :thup:

Nancy LC
Wed, Sep-21-05, 16:43
since ssers don't eat too many "muffins",
Bowl Mooskie? :D
Wow, yours sounds really interesting. I love spagetti squash!

lonewolf
Thu, Sep-22-05, 08:55
I wonder how we all survived before the invention of the bowl muffin. LOL. I've made TONS of htem, and they are a regular breakfast item for me. :) I wish i were as creative to have come up with something like this! :) I have all the recipes I've come up with and all the recipes i've gotten from here in a Word Document on my computer (it's now 15 pages long!) :) LOL.

Here was todays' breakfast: Blueberry pancake bowl muffin
1. 2 Tbsp almond flour
2. 1 scoop Vanilla Praline Designer whey
3. 1 egg
4. ¼ tsp baking powder
5. Cinnamon to taste
6. 3 drops Sweetzfree
7. 1 Tbsp frozen blueberries

Tasted like some yummy blueberry pancakes. :)

waterwoman
Fri, Sep-23-05, 15:03
NancyLC, maybe even "bowl mooshkies" :lol: I have got to start copying all these recipes - I think I'll remember and then of course I don't!

lonewolf, wish my stores would carry that flavor of Designer Whey - is it also 2 carb? Your recipe sounds tasty!

Iowagirl
Fri, Sep-23-05, 15:08
Lonewolf - how long did you nuke this?

BeccaResRN
Sun, Sep-25-05, 10:03
Hello, Anyone have any idea if this would work in some fashion to use up AKins Advantage choclate shake mix I have, it appears to have milk protein concentrate and soy protein isolate as the main ingredients. I have CQ and almond flour, pecan meal and whey powder and flax mel but I have this can of shake mix, which I hate as a shake and would love to find some way to use it up....and ideas all you bowl muffin veterens???

ddaniels
Sun, Sep-25-05, 11:05
I've made various bowl muffins using protein shake powder, so I don't see any reason why the Atkins shake mix wouldn't work. If you mix it with the CQ that will give it some leavening and then add whatever liquid you want to add. I'd probably try equal parts CQ and Shake powder to start with and then whatever liquid you like- water or H and H or egg and water- whatever. Maybe throw in some cinnamon to enhance the chocolate flavor. You could throw in some flax for extra body and fiber. You probably don't need to add any sweetener, since the shake mix is sweet. The nice thing about experimenting with bowl muffins is that you use so little ingredients and it takes so little time to make one, that little is wasted if an experiment doesn't work out! Let us know how it works!!

lonewolf
Sun, Sep-25-05, 17:24
Waterwoman, Yes, the Vanilla Praline is also 2g carb. Maybe you can find it online somewhere?

Iowagirl - i nuked it for 2.5 mintues in my microwave.

BeccaResRN - i am pretty sure you can use the shake mix. The Designer Whey i use is supposed to be a shake hting i think. Atkis shake mix is flavoring, and protien powders, so i would t hink it'd be OK.

Anyone on induction use these bowl mmuffins and have any problems with stalling? a friend of mine is new to LC and wondered if she could have bowl muffins too. I wans't sure, just new on atkins no nuts, so she' dhave to stay away from the almond flour....

lonewolf
Sun, Sep-25-05, 17:32
Netrition carries all the flavors of designer whey i found

http://www.netrition.com/designer_page.html

Gypsumoon
Mon, Sep-26-05, 12:51
Has anyone tried making bowl muffins in the oven, or on the stovetop? I don't have a microwave but would love to start making these.

Thanks!
Cindy

Iowagirl
Mon, Sep-26-05, 12:58
Tried your version, Lonewolf. Did you add water? I did but I'm thinking I needed to add even more.

Nancy LC
Mon, Sep-26-05, 13:16
It would definitely work in the oven. Just use a small oven proof dish. I don't know how long it would take to bake.... start at probably 10 minutes at 325 and check it with a toothpick every 5 minutes or so.

Gypsumoon
Mon, Sep-26-05, 14:21
WOOO HOOO!!! Success in the oven! ROTFL

2 T almond flour, 2 T milled flax seed, 1 egg, 1 pkt Splenda, 1 tsp SF maple syrup at 350 degrees for 12 minutes. So good! Made one for myself and one for spousal unit (who is not LC, but very health conscious) and we both loved 'em.

Next time I'll probably add a tsp or two of water.

Can't wait to experiment with all the varieties now!

Cindy

Gypsumoon
Mon, Sep-26-05, 16:59
[QUOTE=Nancy LC and the new secret ingredient is... gravy![/QUOTE]

:help: Can somebody tell me about LC gravy? I've always been gravy challenged, even before this WOE.

TIA
Cindy

Nancy LC
Mon, Sep-26-05, 17:19
Hmmm.... I found frozen turkey gravy at Trader Joe's once. It was really tasty. I've made it myself when I'm cooking meat. You just add some flavorful liquid to the pan drippings, like wine or broth, and cook it down to thicken it. You can add thinks like xanthum gum to thicken it, or cream.

steph z
Mon, Sep-26-05, 18:04
Here is a great Carbquik recipe (found at www.carbalose.com). It was very very yummy and filling:

Carbquik Recipe: Sausage Gravy

Servings: 4
Net Carbs: 3g

Ingredients:

1 pound breakfast sausage
4 tablespoons Carbquik®
1 1/2 cups half & half
Salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions:

-In large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook and crumble sausage to lightly brown, removing fat from pan as it accumulates.
-Sprinkle Carbquik® over sausage in skillet, stir to blend, add half & half to pan all at once. Cook, stirring constantly over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
-Season to taste with salt and pepper.
-Serve over hot baked Carbquik® biscuits.

This recipe contributed by: Chef Gregory Pryor

noinwi
Tue, Sep-27-05, 15:09
I don't have LC baking mix, but I made a "bowl brownie" of sorts with:
1/2 sq unsweetened bakers chocolate(melted)
2 T peanutbutter
2 pkts Splenda
1/4 tsp Stevia
Dash of vanilla
1 egg
1 T wheat germ

Mixed it all together, nuked it for about 45 seconds, until it puffed up to the top of the bowl. What a chocolate fix!
A little high on net carbs, about 13,but worth it. I might use less PB next time and add some butter or oil.

lonewolf
Tue, Sep-27-05, 19:46
Iowagirl - yes, i added water to mine to make it like pancake batter consistency

Cindy - nice to see you here too! :) I am too lazy to make my own gravy, though i'm sure one can do that.... LOL. I just checked all the brands at the store and took the lowest carb one. I think the turkey gravy i had last weekend was Boston Market brand, in the Jar.

My most recent concoction was a chocolate peanut butter bowl muffin

1 tbsp SF peanut butter
1 tbsp walden farms chocolate dip
1 scoop chocolate designer whey
2 tbsp bake mix
1 egg
3 drops liquid sweetener
water

it was mighty yummy! I nuked it for 2 minutes, which left the center a bit gooey. It was like a molten chocolate peanut butter cake! :)

Nancy LC
Wed, Sep-28-05, 08:40
Well, I think I might have a gluten intolerance so I'm going gluten free for a couple of months and see how I feel. That means no more Carbquik for me. :cry: So now I'm looking for a flour that I can use in place of it. I was using oat fiber, but I found out that I should avoid oats, rye, barley and wheat. I could use almond flour, but it is terribly high in calories for me. Well, I'm sure I'll find something one of these days!

Gypsumoon
Wed, Sep-28-05, 09:14
Nancy - what about soy flour?

Cindy

4beans4me
Wed, Sep-28-05, 09:28
I just made a bowl muffin for the first time... hmmm, had to throw it in the sink. Maybe I did something wrong? 1/4 cup CQ, 2 Tbs davinci, 2 Tbs half and half, cinnamon, nuked and put a pat of butter on top. :help:

Nancy LC
Wed, Sep-28-05, 09:39
Nancy - what about soy flour?
Well, I'm avoiding soy because of thyroid issues and I've never liked the taste of soy flour. :cry:

Nancy LC
Wed, Sep-28-05, 09:41
I just made a bowl muffin for the first time... hmmm, had to throw it in the sink. Maybe I did something wrong? 1/4 cup CQ, 2 Tbs davinci, 2 Tbs half and half, cinnamon, nuked and put a pat of butter on top. :help:

Hmmm... What did the issue seem to be to you? My guess might be you may need more syrup if it wasn't flavorful enough.

Including an egg (or half an egg) will make it puffier, otherwise it'll be more like bread pudding.

4beans4me
Wed, Sep-28-05, 09:49
It was sweet enough, it just was.. I dunno.. nasty. :lol: I was thinking maybe I did something wrong.. maybe it's my CQ. I'll try it with some almond flour next time.

Nancy LC
Wed, Sep-28-05, 16:34
I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Maybe its just not your thing?

lonewolf
Thu, Sep-29-05, 21:57
I made a pumpkin spice bowl muffin today for breakfast, and i think it's my new favorite! :)

2T Atkins bake mix
2T canned pure pumpkin
1 egg
1/4-1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
4 drops liquid sweetener
water to make thick batter

I had to nuke this one for 3 minutes, but boy was it worth it!!!

ellen4621
Fri, Sep-30-05, 09:32
I made a pumpkin spice bowl muffin today for breakfast, and i think it's my new favorite! :)

2T Atkins bake mix
2T canned pure pumpkin
1 egg
1/4-1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
4 drops liquid sweetener
water to make thick batter

I had to nuke this one for 3 minutes, but boy was it worth it!!!

Hi Everyone! I've been following this thread off and on for awhile. :wave:

Oh.My.God! Sue, I just made your pumpkin version this morning and topped it with a bit of leftover cream cheese frosting - it's like eating a HUGE piece of frosted pumpkin bars FOR BREAKFAST and with PORTION CONTROL!!! :p

It really hit that "It's-getting-colder-and-I'm-craving-pumpkin" spot!! :thup:

:wave:

Nancy LC
Fri, Sep-30-05, 10:35
That pumpkin spice does sound really good, although its hotter here right now than it has been all summer! I might just be able to do it and keep it gluten free.

Iowagirl
Fri, Sep-30-05, 11:25
*adds canned pumpkin to grocery list*

cekayak
Sat, Oct-01-05, 08:54
Do you all realize you're my new best friends? And you're good influence on me, lol. I've decided to give up my bedtime snacks because you've inspired me with your goals, etc. I must be saving 500 to a 1000 calories a day. I love my bedtime snacks!!!!! But I dropped three of those stubborn pounds just like that. I've been on a plat-"o" since May. 210 to 207 yo yo-ing my summer away. How do you spell platto? I can't remember, arg.
I made a bowl muffin with oregano for flavoring no syrup. Then I topped it with shrimp salad, like tuna salad, and oh my goodness. It kept me happy til dinner time. The shrimp salad came about because Meijer had buy one bag of salad shrimp, get 2 free. Guess what I'm having for lunch this week six times? Do you think that's obessive? That's what bowl muffins does to me. Except they're so satisfying that I don't crave them more than twice a day.
Oh, the muffin recipe 2 T. golden flax bran, 2T. almond flour, 1/2 t. baking powder, 1/2 t. oregano, 1 egg beaten with enough water to make the batter kind of fluid. Nuke for 3 min.
Shrimp salad, 1/2 bag cocktail shrimp (3 oz.) thawed under cold water, 3 T mayonaise, 3 T. sugar free sweet pickles chopped with juice, 1 T chopped fresh onion.
for a shrimp melt top with grated monterey jack cheese and broil to melt cheese.
Can I share a little about myself so we'll know each better?
I started dieting at 145 lbs. back in 1964. I got serious in 1970 at 206 lbs. I lost 50 lbs with weight watchers and Euell Gibbons, Kept it off for twelve years with a huge amount of exercise. Gradually got back to 230, turned to Atkins again (first time in 1978) lost 35 lbs, gained back 15 and now I'm trying to get down under 200 by Thanksgiving. I'm a very slow loser. 2 lbs. a month. But I gain fast like 5 lbs. a week. I'm a powerlifter, competing once a month with a bunch of guys who lift like 400 lbs. My personal best in deadlift is 210 lbs. Thanks for listening.
Jan

cnmLisa
Sat, Oct-01-05, 11:03
I must confess, I've been lurking on this thread for awhile and have been somewhat skeptical of the idea of the "bowl muffin"--just sounded yuck! Well, this morning I decided to give it a whirl--I figured if it really was that gross I'd never make it again. Boy was I wrong!!! YUUUUUM MEEEEEE! I'm an avid cook and can never make a recipe the way it was printed so here is my pumpkin bowl muffin. Pretty much the same as the original with a couple of tweaks;)

2 TBS Almond flour
2 TBS flax meal
2 TBS Vanilla Whey protein isolate
2 TBS pumpkin
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp liquid sweetener or 1-2 packets of Splenda to taste
pumpkin pie spices to taste
1 egg
1 TBS SF syrup (Vanilla)
Water as needed to make a batter (didn't need it)

Microwave 2 minutes--I must have a nuclear microwave because if I had of nuked it for 3 it would have been crispy:) Poured SF pancake syrup on top.
I'm sold!!!! and will be having many more renditions of bowl muffins to come.

(used flax meal to up the fiber and protein isolate to up the protein)

(Nutrition analysis using MY PLAN)
Calories=308
Total Carbs=11.8
Fiber=7.8
Usable Carbs=4
Protein=29.3

Thanks again!!!!

Lisa

zajack
Sat, Oct-01-05, 13:31
Just went out and bought pumpkin.... :lol:

Gotta admit I'm hooked by the idea. Cant wait to try it and with thanksgiving just around the corner...I want an alternative to pumpkin pie. :thup: