PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Muffins

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Pages : 1 [2]

cnmLisa
Sat, Oct-01-05, 13:37
Gotta admit I'm hooked by the idea. Cant wait to try it and with thanksgiving just around the corner...I want an alternative to pumpkin pie. :thup:

Just as an FYI--this won't give you a pumpkin pie type consistency which I think could be described as kinda mousse-like. This gives a more bread-y (is that a word?) type consistency. If you would like a recipe for pumpkin pie filling a-la lo carb I have a few. I just don't want you to be disappointed when you make this and it's not what you're expecting.

Lisa

lonewolf
Sat, Oct-01-05, 15:17
This isn't going to come out like pumpkin pie. Think more like pumpkin bread. There's an easy pumpkin mousse you might be able to make into a pie though. And there are several LC pumpkin pie recipes.

Sue

rodmick
Sun, Oct-02-05, 16:34
:thup: Yummmmmmmmmm :thup: my ideas in here! Thanks!

Nancy LC
Sun, Oct-02-05, 16:47
I actually made Pumpkin Pie Bowl this morning. :D I just mixed egg, pumpkin, a tiny bit of molasses, splenda, pie spices and nuked it. It was good!

cekayak
Mon, Oct-03-05, 10:12
I've had the baking powder in my cupboard for 10 yrs, I almost threw it out cause I never bake. It was half full last month when I started this bowl muffin experience. Now it's empty. Jan

Does anyone have an idea for key lime pie flavored anything? How do yo think the bowl muffing would do with key lime juice? Maybe flavoring would be better?
Jan

Nancy LC
Mon, Oct-03-05, 10:21
Doesn't baking powder lose its poof? I thought you always had to keep your powder fresh. :p (Or am I thinking of muskets?) :lol:

I have some lime Torani and I have tried making a lime bowl muffin. It just tasted weird to me. Lemon is fine, but lime... it just didn't work for me. Don't know why!

zajack
Mon, Oct-03-05, 15:35
Gotta tell you....I tried the pumpkin version with just 1.5 TBSP of pumpkin and the tiniest bit of sweetened cream cheese on top...WOW. At least I have a dessert for turkey day now. :agree:

IslandGirl
Mon, Oct-03-05, 16:08
Doesn't baking powder lose its poof? I thought you always had to keep your powder fresh. :p (Or am I thinking of muskets?) :lol:

I have some lime Torani and I have tried making a lime bowl muffin. It just tasted weird to me. Lemon is fine, but lime... it just didn't work for me. Don't know why!

Absolutely needs some fresh lime juice for that tang and some zest...the DVG Lime would be fine as the sweetener, but for my money, heavy on the fresh lime...

lonewolf
Mon, Oct-03-05, 20:33
What is DVG lime?
I love the idea of key lime pie flavored something! :)

IslandGirl
Tue, Oct-04-05, 00:39
What is DVG lime?
I love the idea of key lime pie flavored something! :)

Ah, sorry, DaVinci Gourmet sugarfree lime flavored syrup (or Torani, just another brand).

lonewolf
Tue, Oct-04-05, 22:35
ah, ok. I know DaVinci's, i shoulda been able to figure that one out. :)
lol

nutsnseeds
Wed, Oct-05-05, 16:43
This is an amazing low carb key lime cheesecake recipe - but don't freeze it! I made an almond flour, butter, SF sweetener and cinnamon crust instead of what they suggest. This was so amazing i could not stop eating it so I froze it to keep myself at bay and when it defrosted it was nasty - so dissapointing.

No-Bake Key Lime Cheesecake
Recipe courtesy George Stella
See this recipe on air Sunday Sep. 11 at 9:00 AM ET/PT.

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 4 hours
Yield: 12 servings
User Rating:

1 tablespoon wheat germ
2 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)
16 ounces real cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup sour cream
1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
3/4 cup Key lime juice (fresh or bottled)
2 tablespoons no sugar added vanilla extract
1/4 cup hot water
2 limes, zested, divided
3 envelopes unflavored gelatin (recommended: Knoxx brand)
3/4 cup boiling water
Special Equipment: 10-inch deep pie plate or cake pan
Sprinkle the wheat germ and 1 tablespoon sugar substitute over the bottom of the pie plate to create a "faux" crust.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the softened cream cheese, sour cream, ricotta cheese, lime juice, 2 cups sugar substitute, vanilla extract, 1/4 cup hot water, and zest of 1 lime on medium speed until well combined.
Using a fork to mix, thoroughly dissolve the 3 envelopes of gelatin in 3/4 cup boiling water. Do not let cool and move onto the next step immediately. (It is important that the water be boiling hot and that you mix the gelatin powder in quickly so it is completely dissolved. If not, you will have gummy bear-type lumps.) With the mixer on high and working very quickly so the gelatin does not set, blend the hot dissolved gelatin thoroughly into cheesecake mixture. Immediately pour mixture into the prepared pie pan and sprinkle with the zest of the other lime. Chill in the refrigerator for about 3 to 4 hours or until firm. Serve.
Hint: If you have any extra cheesecake mixture left over after filling the pie pan (I always do), put it in a pastry bag or heavy-duty plastic bag and put it in your freezer for about 7 to 10 minutes, just to firm it up a bit to the thickness of whipped cream. Then take it out and decorate the top of the Key Lime Cheesecake. (If it is in a plastic bag, snip the corner off.)

Nutrition Information
Nutritional Analysis per serving Calories 238
Fat 19 grams Saturated Fat 13 grams
Carbohydrates 8 grams Fiber 0 grams
Net Carbohydrates 8 grams

saracidal
Wed, Oct-05-05, 23:49
ooohhh deff check out davincigourmet.com
i swear by that site....i order like 4-6 bottles at a time.....

PilotGal
Fri, Oct-07-05, 11:33
Wanted to add my 5 cents;

I keep flax meal cereal around in a plastic container. It has almond meal, hazelnut meal, flax meal, shredded unsweetened coconut, walnut pieces, and lots of splenda. Keep this "cereal on the counter."

Today I took this concoction, added an egg, 2 T of vanilla protein powder, caramel syrup, cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp baking powder.

Cooked it for 2 minutes, as Nancy suggests.

When finished, I smeared FF cream cheese and apple butter all over the muffin.

I think this will be what I reach for when I get my popcorn cravings. :lol: :lol:

I especially liked the apple butter and cream cheese on top. :D

cekayak
Sat, Oct-08-05, 10:22
giggle, i want a sexy picture like PilotGal's. Now I have to find my red hat and go get cute. I'll let you all see it when i figure out to get it up there. lol
what do you suggest for chicken and dumplings? I want it smooth, white and creamy, lol, suffering grumpy spouse and want comfort food, ...soon...arrrgghh
Jan

Totoro
Mon, Oct-10-05, 11:53
I'm really liking this concept. It is such a great idea. I made a "brownie" one similar to the one posted by Val awhile back, but with protein powder and ground flax seeds in place of the almond meal:

1/8c Designer Whey French Vanilla protein powder
1/8c flax seed meal
1 egg
1/8t vanilla
1 heaping tbsp pure cocoa
1/4c cream
sweetener of choice

Cover with plastic wrap, slit top, nuke for 86 seconds.

It reminds me of chocolate cake. It really hits the spot!

Iowagirl
Mon, Oct-10-05, 14:53
Looks good! I will try this!

BlitzedAng
Mon, Oct-10-05, 17:08
Throw in a couple Minicarb choco chips and good to go.

Angel

LadyBelle
Mon, Oct-10-05, 18:45
I'm really liking this concept. It is such a great idea. I made a "brownie" one similar to the one posted by Val awhile back, but with protein powder and ground flax seeds in place of the almond meal:

Take away the egg and this is the basic recpie I would use for warm cereal with maybe some bran added.

Isn't it fun how foods work. Basic water and flour can be paste, a cake, bread or many things with only small alterations.

zajack
Tue, Oct-11-05, 22:24
ok...just thought I'd share this. Tonight I decided to experiment a bit with the muffins.

I mixed:

1 cup of carbsense (sifted)
3 eggs
sf syrup ( I used b52)
and 3 TBSP cocoa

in a bowl- adding water until it was like cake batter (or maybe just a touch thicker....but not much). I had a disposable 6 muffin pan and gave it a quick spray with pam...then split the batter into 2 batches. I added pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg to one batch, and raspberry SF syrup to the other. I poured each batch into the muffin tin(got 3 each). I baked at 350 for about 30 minutes...checking with a toothpick.

Worked out GREAT and they're a bit smaller but very workable as a meal. What I liked best was the figures I came up with...and heck...if one's not enough for you...you can have 2 without a bunch of guilt!!!!

One muffin:
Calories: 105
Carbs: 5
Fiber:3
Protein: 12

Can't tell you how well that works for me...and I've got enough to eat 2 a day without even having to whip them up every day (like that was a chore). :D

I know I've said it before...but thanks Nancy[U]!!!! I'll probably do this [I]all the time from now on...make a batch with 3 almond & 3 lemon/poppy or a batch with 3 chocolate & 3 pumpkin ...well ....you get the drift Gonna have to use one and see how it freezes...might be able to do a double batch and freeze some. :lol:

ddaniels
Wed, Oct-12-05, 03:21
ok...just thought I'd share this. Tonight I decided to experiment a bit with the muffins.

I mixed:

1 cup of carbsense (sifted)
3 eggs
sf syrup ( I used b52)
and 3 TBSP cocoa

What does b52 syrup taste like??

zajack
Wed, Oct-12-05, 08:56
honestly cant describe it...but I guess it tastes as much like a b52 as the kaluah sf syrup tastes like kaluah. :lol: The drink is made with kaluah, amaretto, and baileys...and this syrup is supposed to have those flavorings. It's one of my favorites anyway...put out by davinnci. A new flavor for me is english toffee by Ambiance. I've tried other english toffee sf syrup and didnt care for them....buy Ambiance puts out a great one. Gotta find out if they have a website and post it here. I get mine at cash & carry. Hope that helped.

ddaniels
Wed, Oct-12-05, 10:33
mmmm..English toffee sounds really good! I must say, the SF syrups really do help me stay on track, because they help me to not feel deprived. I need to come up with a way to keep a little portable bottle in my purse so I can use it to flavor coffee. I don't drink coffee very much, but when I am out with others and they are eating dessert, a latte made with a great SF flavor would make me feel like I am also having dessert!

zajack
Wed, Oct-12-05, 13:50
Get yourself a little nip of Captain morgans...pour it into a coke zero(drink :D )...when done with your beverage, remove the label...and fill 'er up with sf syrup for storage in your purse :lol: (might want to put it in a ziplock on the off chance the cap loosens.

ddaniels
Wed, Oct-12-05, 18:03
That's a GREAT idea!!! Actually, now that I think of it, I've got a little bottle of some kind of high quality scotch that someone brought me back from Scotland. I think scotch tastes like cleaning fluid, but I never threw the bottle out. Think I'll dump it down the sink and fill it with SF syrup instead!

joanee
Fri, Oct-14-05, 13:52

Take away the egg and this is the basic recpie I would use for warm cereal with maybe some bran added.

Isn't it fun how foods work. Basic water and flour can be paste, a cake, bread or many things with only small alterations.

....Speaking of which, when you mix flour and water, you get glue. But when you add an egg and some sugar, you get cake. So where does the glue go? Answer: it sticks to your butt! lol.

Seriously, though, I absolutely love this whole bowl muffin thread -- great ideas, a sort of collaboration community, and I make bowl muffins all the time. I miss hot cereal in the morning, so I've been mixing:
1/4 c any bake mix (I make my own)
1/4 c Bob's Red Mill Wheat Bran
1 egg
1/4 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt (I use a scoche less than 1/8 tsp)
DVG Spice Blend syrup (or your choice & to taste, of course)
water till consistency of pancake batter

Then, after nuking it for 2 mins, I chop it up into bits right in the bowl, until it has the consistency of thick oatmeal. A little cream on top, and it's my hot cereal breakfast. It has a lovely flavor, kinda nutty from the Wheat Bran, kinda buttery from the heavy cream. Reminds me of a cross between old fashioned oatmeal (texture), Cream of Wheat, and Maypo (from the Spice Blend syrup). Total comfort food on these fall mornings. (Hope this isn't a repeat recipe, ignore it if it is).

Nancy LC
Fri, Oct-14-05, 14:21
mmmm..English toffee sounds really good! I must say, the SF syrups really do help me stay on track, because they help me to not feel deprived. I need to come up with a way to keep a little portable bottle in my purse so I can use it to flavor coffee. I don't drink coffee very much, but when I am out with others and they are eating dessert, a latte made with a great SF flavor would make me feel like I am also having dessert!

LOL! Get one of those sliver flasks and then you'll pour a little nip into your coffee and everyone at work will think you're a complete lush! :D

Nancy LC
Fri, Oct-14-05, 14:22
Ah, sorry, DaVinci Gourmet sugarfree lime flavored syrup (or Torani, just another brand).

I think I finally figured out why I don't like Lime Bowl Muffins... the Torani Lime syrup just doesn't taste good to me!

joanee
Fri, Oct-14-05, 14:48
Someone posted on this thread, awhile back, that they were out of bake mix, and I wanted to let you know you can make your own very easily. Lots cheaper than paying postage, etc., for getting mixes online, and no need to run out of mix.

1 cup almond meal / any nut meal
1 cup plain or vanilla whey protein isolate
1 cup soy protein isolate
1 cup vital wheat gluten
4 (plus or minus) packets of Splenda, if you want it
2 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 (plus or minus) tsp salt if you want it

You can leave out any of the isolates, or use them in any combination, etc., add flax meal, etc. I usually make double the recipe; I keep mine bland (no added flax or bran) to keep it versatile, and I store it in a mason jar right on my kitchen counter. Works great!

If you want to make a bisquick-type mix, just chop some cold butter into the bake mix until it's fully incorporated, then store the mix in the fridge.

If you often use a particular recipe with your bake mixes, you can always take portions of your homemade mix and pre-spice them. Saves time, and you won't have run out of your favorite spices when it comes time to make the recipe.

zajack
Fri, Oct-14-05, 15:05
Thanks...that was probably me...any idea on carb and calorie counts for that? If not I can probably guestimate.
Thanks again.

rpavich
Sat, Oct-15-05, 04:30
Hi,
I checked the carbs out as well as I can and this is what I came up with:

1 cup almond meal 12 gms
1 cup plain or vanilla whey protein isolate 6 gms
1 cup soy protein isolate 1.5 gms
1 cup vital wheat gluten 24 gms
4 (plus or minus) packets of Splenda, if you want it 4 gms
2 Tbsp baking powder 0 gms
1 tsp baking soda 0 gms
1 (plus or minus) tsp salt if you want it 0 gms

Total: 47.5 gms for the batch

zajack
Sat, Oct-15-05, 09:16
Thank you!!!! You didnt have to figure it out... Heck, I could have done that. I just thought you might have already had the numbers. Thanks again~
Christine

lonewolf
Sat, Oct-15-05, 10:14
OK, Yes, this is making a lot more work than the original bowl muffin Idea, but it's so great you can do SOOOO many things with it!

One of my buddy's on the Low Carb Living Yahoo! Groups came up with this Idea, and she told me i could share it here. Her name is Becky.

Mix up your favorite bowl muffin, and deep fry it by the spoonful in hot oil. They come out like little fritters and they are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good! This is the one i made yesterday to give this idea a try:

1/8 cup bake mix (i use Atkins, as it's what i have right now)
1 scoop Vanilla Praline designer whey
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
liquid sweetener to taste (i used more than i do in a normal bowl muffin, as i wanted dessert-like fritters)

Fried them up in hot oil and voila! FRITTERS! :)

ddaniels
Sat, Oct-15-05, 13:53
Fritters!!!?????? OMG!!!! I LOVE fritters- this is a FANTASTIC idea!!!

zajack
Mon, Oct-17-05, 15:28
Just wanted to note...I've found two things with bowl muffins. They dont stick to my small plastic bowls (tupperware type ) at all...whereas they do stick to my regular dishes...not alot...but enough that I need to scrub the bowls a bit. Also, I've found them to turn out like HUGE muffins if I use only 2 heaping tablespoons of baking mix and 2 eggs with whatever flavor I choose. Just thought someone else might like to try it.

IslandGirl
Mon, Oct-17-05, 17:15
Hmmmmph. A very slightly modified version of something I read somewhere (but darned if I can remember where, sure hope it wasn't this thread :o) that makes an absolutely yummy warm dessert for these colder nights...and super simple:

Bowl Berry Cobbler for 2

1/2 cup mixed frozen unsweetened berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries), divided between 2 small heatproof dishes, about 2 Cup capacity each (need room for the puffing up part, so it doesn't overflow).
1/4 cup Carbquik
1/4 cup DaVinci Gourmet Sugarfree Syrup Vanilla (or pick your fave flavour, I also tried B52 & French Vanilla, 2 Tbsp each, yum!)
pinch salt
whisk the CQ, salt and the syrup together thoroughly and pour over the berries, dividing equally

nuke (my microwave is 1000W) about 2 minutes or until the top is dry to the touch (will puff up and sink).
let cool on a rack til just warm to the touch
serve plain or with a dollop of a good plain yogurt or sour cream (this is way good) on top.

Whoooeeee, this is such fun. :cool:

joanee
Tue, Oct-18-05, 18:54
OOOH, OOOOH, OOOH (...raises her hand wildly, like she's in 4th grade)

Whoever came up with the fritters idea should enter the LC hall of fame, along with Nancy for the bowl muffins, and whoever came up with that classic almond pound cake recipe. (OMG, if you haven't tried it, for shame! It's fabulous.)

The thing is, in my endless search for applesauce, applebutter, etc., I nuked up some spaghetti squash, ate it with marinara sauce, but took some of it and spiced it with apple pie spices, and it tastes just like applesauce. Had it tonight with my pork chops. So -- next Sunday morning, I'm gonna mix my applesauce into my bowl muffin and make apple fritters!. I'll roll them in cinnamon/Splenda, and have a perfect cup of coffee to go with it. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to this. Thanks for this posting!!

joanee
Tue, Oct-18-05, 19:06
Thanks for looking up the carb counts on my homemade mix. The basic recipe make 4 cups (1 lb), and at 47.5 gms for the whole batch, it comes out to just a shade under 3 grams for the typical 1/4 cup used in the bowl muffins. Although there are zero-carb mixes out there, I just can't keep up with shipping costs for lc stuff I can make myself; it's bad enough having to pay shipping for stuff like syrups! Try it: I've had no problems using the homemade bake mix pretty much one-to-one in regular recipes using flour, although I often have to add more splenda, but I think that's just my permanent sweet tooth.

joanee
Tue, Oct-18-05, 19:12
And, btw, the berry cobbler idea is another one I'll be trying before the week is out. For this one, though, I think I'll use the Minicarb Biscuit Mix that I got by the case at a local Big Lots store. I love cobblers and fruit shortcakes, (these, along with fruit pies, are my absolute favorite desserts) but I like the biscuit-type cakes best with them.

And speaking of which, check out your local dollar stores and odd-lot stores for low carb foods. That's where all the grocery stores seem to be dumping their stocks, these days. And what's out there is getting harder and harder to find. I buy as many as I can afford when I come across them. Just bought a couple of cases of pizza dough mix. Not so much to make pizza with, but to make foccacia and sweet breads. (I like chewy breads).

Iowagirl
Wed, Oct-19-05, 06:01
Made the fritters and they were good. I used the raspberry sf syrup to sweeten and then added cream cheese when they were done. Sweetened cream cheese, that is - nuked a tablespoon of it so it was easy to spread. Good with coffee!

vmay
Wed, Oct-19-05, 11:40
Hi,
I don't post too often on this thread but I read it a couple times a week. And I make a bowl muffin of some variety about 4 times a week. I just have to say thanks to all of you for the great ideas! I love the applesauce idea! And I think I will have to try the fritters too! I miss donuts...

I bought the low carb country bread mix at a dollar store. I am mixing it with flax meal because it is a bit dense on its own. I am going to try the 2 egg 2 tbsp idea. It may be ideal for this mix.

BTW, I got Atkins bake mix at Kroger for $5 last week. It was in the reduced section.

Thanks, Valerie

vmay
Thu, Oct-20-05, 11:10
Hey!
Tried the 2 egg version. It was a little too "eggy" for me. But it was really great when I chopped it all up and put 1/2 & 1/2 on it. Just like oatmeal! I think someone here suggested something like that before. Very good.
Valerie

lonewolf
Thu, Oct-20-05, 12:14
It was a buddy of mine on a Yahoo group that came up with teh Fritter Idea. She's not on this forum, but i would happily post it in the hall of fame with giving her the credit, since she isn't here. Where do i go to do that though? LOL.

lonewolf
Thu, Oct-20-05, 12:29
My newest concoction (not really a new idea, i'm sure) is to make "bread" out of these bowl muffins for sandwhiches. I mix up a bowl muffin and make it savory as someone hwere had mentioned early on in the thread. Then once it's done i let it cool enough to handle it and cut it in half and use it for sandwiches. Yesterday i made one and nuked it in the bottom of a small baking dish so it was larger and flatter and made a turkey sandwhich. Today i made it regular in a bowl and used it as a burger bun. It's kind of nice to be able to eat sandwiches once in a while! :)

My savory one is bake mix (or almond flour, and add 1/4 tsp baking powder) and soy protien booster, egg, paprika, garlic powder and oregano

lonewolf
Fri, Oct-21-05, 17:14
I think i prefected the bowl bread idea, at least for myself. The almond flour and a little added cream cheese make it a bit more moist, and putting in a larger glass baking dish makes 4 nice, thin slices, easy for making sandwiches! :)

Here's the recipe i use:
2 tbsp almond flour
2 tbsp soy protien booster (mine is Naturade, but any protein powder would work)
1 tbsp softened cream cheese
1 egg
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp paprika
water to make thick batter

Mix well, spread thinly into a baking dish, and nuke! YUMMY. This makes such great sandwiches for me to take to work! I'm loving it! I LOVE bowl muffins!

I get 4 nice thin slices of very filling bread with this. Each slice made with these ingredients is:
Calories: 63.5
Fat: 4.4
Carb: 1.4
Fiber: .4
Protein: 5.2

joanee
Tue, Oct-25-05, 11:30
Hi,
I don't post too often on this thread but I read it a couple times a week. And I make a bowl muffin of some variety about 4 times a week. I just have to say thanks to all of you for the great ideas! I love the applesauce idea! And I think I will have to try the fritters too! I miss donuts...

I bought the low carb country bread mix at a dollar store.

I'm not bragging, VMay, really I'm not. But I just posted a recipe for yeast raised donuts in the Sweet Treats section that is absolutely fabulous. The original recipe is from Williams Sonoma, and all I did was the low carb substitutions. The thing that makes it perfect for you is that, like you, I bought a couple of cases of low carb bread mix from the dollar store, and the flour is great for donuts. (Not to worry though -- it's dead easy to make your own high-gluten flour for donuts anyway.) But check out the recipe, and try it. At 3.5 carbs apiece, they're guilt-free, and they are honestly delicious.

As for the bowl muffin fritters idea, I made them for my sunday morning breakfast mixed with my spaghettii squash applesauce, had them with breakfast sausages, and a dam-good-if-I-may-say-so-myself cup of coffee, and thought "I'll be dog if I ever need to eat high carbs again!" The fritters were just great.

I went out in August and picked many, many pounds of blueberries, and froze them for the winter. They are just waiting to go into the bowl muffin cobbler idea. This thread is SO cool.

vmay
Wed, Oct-26-05, 11:19
Joanee, thanks for the tip. I'll have to check out the receipe.
My mother-in-law will be visiting us from England from 12/15 to 1/5. She doesn't understand that in order for me to lose weight I have to LC. "Just eat heathly". She never had a weight problem. Anyway, I am trying to find great receipes that are LC so that she won't know the difference and I can stay on plan. Makes things so much easier that way...
Valerie

acadkate
Thu, Oct-27-05, 23:59
OK, I just tried a bowl muffin with what I had in the cupboard: 1/8 c wheat bran
1/8 c carb solutions simple chef bake mix
2 tbs cocoa
vanilla/cream/sf choc syrup to pancake consistancy
nuke 2 min
It all sounded so good, but it turned out yucky. I keept adding cream to get the right consistancy but it turned out to be way too chocolatey and bitter and REALY runny.
What did I do wrong?

ddaniels
Fri, Oct-28-05, 05:38
OK, I just tried a bowl muffin with what I had in the cupboard: 1/8 c wheat bran
2 tbs cocoa
nuke 2 min
It all sounded so good, but it turned out yucky. I keept adding cream to get the right consistancy but it turned out to be way too chocolatey and bitter and REALY runny.
What did I do wrong?

Well, for my tastes, 2tbs of cocoa powder (as well as additional sf choc syrup) is just way too chocolatey! Also, I make mine thicker than pancake consistency and I usually have to nuke them closer to 3 minutes.

acadkate
Fri, Oct-28-05, 08:27
Well, for my tastes, 2tbs of cocoa powder (as well as additional sf choc syrup) is just way too chocolatey! Also, I make mine thicker than pancake consistency and I usually have to nuke them closer to 3 minutes.

I'll keep trying, thanks

zajack
Fri, Oct-28-05, 08:41
I make mine a bit thicker too...try adding an egg as well...I dont always use them but they add a flavor/texture that some like.

Nancy LC
Fri, Oct-28-05, 10:09
2 tbs cocoa
nuke 2 min
What did I do wrong?

Well, too much liquid would explain the runniness. Egg can counteract that a bit. I actually use probably 3T of cocoa, but I don't believe there's any such thing as "too chocolate". :p The wheat bran... hmmmm... maybe it doesn't mix in well enough with the cocoa.

I'm a big fan of bittersweet chocolate, the kind where sugar is not the first ingredient in the list and they measure the chocolate content in %'s. :p So it might be if you're a milk chocolate lover, this might not work so well. But I would try going for less cocoa (horrors!) and more sweetener. If you aren't using egg, pancake batter density might be a little too thin. Also, you might need more leavening (baking powder) since you're using so little baking bix.

Well, experiment with it. Nice part is mistakes are often edible but if they aren't, you haven't wasted much if you have to toss it.

zajack
Fri, Oct-28-05, 10:12
Just tried my first savory bowl muffin yesterday and cut it in half use for a ham sandwich...VERY good!!! I used butter, rosemary, basil, and garlic. Made a very flavorful "bread". These darn things are so versatile! :lol:

acadkate
Fri, Oct-28-05, 12:03
I tried a gain this morning with 1/4 c Atkins bake mix, an egg, 2 slices ham and some cheese with a little cream. Turned out much better, kind of spongy. I'll keep working at it, I think there's a lot of potential.

Gypsumoon
Fri, Nov-04-05, 17:10
[QUOTE=joanee] and whoever came up with that classic almond pound cake recipe. [QUOTE]

Can somebody point me to the almond pound cake recipe?

TIA
Cindy

lonewolf
Fri, Nov-04-05, 21:03
My new favorite thing is the pumpkin loaf i made up, which is basically a large bowl muffin, so i have breafkast for 4 days. LOL.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=271872&highlight=pumpkin+loaf

sassy03
Mon, Nov-07-05, 20:51
Nancy I want to thank you for sharing with us these great recipies. I usually have trouble with night snacking. But after trying one tonight I know it will be a regular snack for me when I'm most vulnerable. tonight I made the blueberry bowl muffin version. Since I only had almond meal I put together.
1/4 cup almond meal
1/4 cup 1% milk
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1tbsp vanilla davinci syrup
Wow it was sooooooooo good and I'm satisfied tonight. It helped me not look around for something sweet and saved me. Thanks again.

LadyBelle
Mon, Nov-07-05, 21:40
1% milk sounds really high carb. Cream, or carb count down milk could save you a ton of carbs

UrbanZero
Tue, Nov-08-05, 11:18
1/4 cup is not much. I think it's fine.

joanee
Tue, Nov-08-05, 12:22
Hello, there, Gypsumoon! I tried to send this via private message, since it really doesn't belong in the bowl-muffin thread, but was bounced out because you haven't authorized PMs.

The actual almond flour pound cake recipe is buried somewhere in the bowels of the Sweet Treats thread, but I'm sending you my copied-from-the-site-and-saved-into-My-Documents version, with my tweaks in bold print. The tweaks will help a lot. (Also, I'm sending you a "kicked up" version that someone posted on another site, which I haven't tried yet) You MUST try this: it is SOOOO good. HTH, and hope you try it in time for Thanksgiving or Christmas. This is definitely a company-worthy cake.

Almond Flour Pound Cake (Can Be Chocolate Cake, Too) (another true low-carb classic!) *tweaks by bettyb

1 cup butter *softened
1 cup Splenda *1-1/2 cups
5 eggs *separate yolks & whites

2 cups almond flour *I use my home-made bake mix - the finer the flour, the lighter the cake
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon lemon extract *I double this amount
1 teaspoon vanilla extract * I double this amount

Cream butter and splenda well. *you have to cream them a long time, until they feel very light. Add eggs *yolks one at a time, beating after each. Mix flour with baking powder and add to egg mixture a little at a time while beating. Add lemon & vanilla extracts. *Batter will be very stiff and heavy. Whip egg whites till soft peaks form, then fold as thoroughly as possible into batter without completely breaking down the whites. Pour into greased 9" cake pan and bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes *40-45 minutes in a pound cake (or bundt?) pan; check at 42 minutes! Cake is delicious, but somewhat dry. Poke holes in the top with a chopstick, and pour DaVinci Kahlua syrup over all.

I've got the whole cake as 47 carbs. I can easily get 8 large slices from a 9" cake, which puts it at 5.8 carbs each. If you're careful you can get 12 slices for only 3.9 carbs a slice! (I had a hard time eating a whole slice so I cut it into the 12 slices)

* add some cocoa (*and another 1/4 - 1/2c Splenda) to the recipe & eliminate the lemon extract for chocolate cake

** add banana extract instead of lemon and a few chopped nuts...it made a great banana nut cake.

CARBQUIK POUND CAKE (This is a kicked up version of the Classic Almond Flour Pound Cake)
57.1g carbs for the whole cake
2.4g carbs per serving for 24 servings

1/2 cup butter, softened -0
4 ounces cream cheese, softened-8
1 teaspoon liquid Splenda-0
5 jumbo eggs-4
2 tablespoons vanilla-0.6
2 cups almond flour-21
1-1/2 cup Carbquik-18
1/4 cup Erythritol-0
2 tablespoons DiabetiSweet-0
1 tablespoon SteviaPlus-0
1/3 cup PolyD-4.2
1 teaspoon baking soda-0
1 teaspoon baking powder-1.3

Preheat oven to between 325° and 350°
Place ingredients into food processor in the order listed and process for 30 seconds.
Stop processor and scrape down sides. Process for another 1-1/2 minutes.
Pour batter into greased and floured bunt pan and bake for 40 minutes.

vmay
Tue, Nov-08-05, 14:40
joanee,

I'm glad you couldn't pm! I was looking for this one too! Thanks, Valerie

sassy03
Tue, Nov-08-05, 19:21
ladybelle I am following the southbeach diet now. I used to do the atkins and had great success. in southbeach you are allowed to have fat free or 1% milk, but I do use carbsmart from time to time.

joanee
Thu, Nov-17-05, 12:36
Yesterday, I messed up a bowl muffin by putting in too much salt, and my "fix" turned out to be just delicious. Had it again today (minus any salt at all), and I'm in lc heaven. Here's what I came up with:

1/4 cup wheat bran - 4 grams
1/4 cup golden flax meal - 0 grams (all fiber!)
1/4 tsp baking powder - 0
1/4 tsp baking soda - 0
1 egg - .5 gram
approx 1/4 cup low carb milk (.75 gram) or water (0 grams), mixed into above ingredients, to pancake consistency.

microwave for 2 minutes (until all liquid is absorbed), then chop up the bowl muffin until it has the texture of oatmeal cereal. Add in:

1/2 to 1 cup low carb blueberry yoghurt (3 grams per 1/2 cup)
1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh or thawed blueberries (3.5 grams per 1/4 cup)

microwave for 1 more minute. Enjoy! -- it's sooo wonderful!

ddaniels
Thu, Nov-17-05, 16:49
Hey- that sounds really good! I never thought about chopping it up into a sort of oatmeal! I wonder what would happen if we chopped it up and then let the little pieces dry up. I wonder if we could turn it into a dry ceral sort of concoction?

Nancy LC
Thu, Nov-17-05, 16:59
LOL! Unfortunately it probably wouldn't be good if you let it dry out. Its the starches that give cereal their crunch. It'd probably harden into rock like fragments that would powder if you managed to bite down on them without shattering a tooth. :p

ddaniels
Thu, Nov-17-05, 17:23
Oh- you're right, I hadn't thought of that. I guess that's why it dries like cement on my bowl if I don't wash the bowl right away! Too bad- my head was already overflowing with ideas for incredible bowl muffin cereal. I was thinking of rolling it out really thin to make cereal "flakes"!

kevinpa
Fri, Nov-18-05, 09:56
Serves/Makes: 12 regular(3 net carbs) or 6-8 large(6 net carbs) muffins

Option(flavoring of your choice- my favorite is 8oz minicarb chocolate chips which seem to be difficult if not imposable to find anymore)

Ingredients:
8 ounces Cream Cheese softened
1/2 cup Butter or margarine
1/2 cup Splenda (or equivalent of another sweetner)
2 Eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
1/4 cup Heavy cream
2 cups Flour(1 ¼ c Carbquik ¼ c. glutten ½ c. almond flour)
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda

Directions:
Cream together the cheese, butter and sugar until sugar dissolves and mixture is fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla and milk. Beat well. Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture and blend. Batter will be thick. Fold in chips. Fill greased muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-25 minutes. Let cool.

cekayak
Sat, Nov-19-05, 07:07
Hello, every one,
I have been making cold cereal this week. Cinnamon flax is the best so far but fruit loops was also good.
1/2 cup flourish mix, whey, gluten, flax meal
3T splenda
bit of salt
t. melted butter (optional)
1/4 c. egg stuff
enough carb count milk to moisten to cake batter, stir well,
then add 1/4 t.- 1/2 t baking powder the secret to crumbly cereal and not grape nuts is when you add the leavening agent.
stir gently and quickly, spread on a greased 10 inch dinner plate
microvave 2 1/2 min. on high
cut up into 1/2 inch squares, micro another min. stir, micro again if it's not dry and crumbly.
put in cereal bowl, add carb count milk and more sweetener if you like.
This makes two servings for some people but it made one fullfilling serving for moi.
flavor like regular bowl muffins. I used orange oil for fruit loops
i'd like to try heartland lo carb apple juice for apple jacks. and maple nut would be good.
And isn't it fine that we can make our own stuff rather than rely on the stores to stock it?
maggie, who has a baby chomping on her low carb thumb with his new toofers, there fore typing with only one hand. ain't life great?

vmay
Sat, Nov-19-05, 08:53
Thanks kevinpa. Sounds good. I just printed it out.
I may have to try the cold cereal too!

IslandGirl
Mon, Nov-21-05, 18:11
1/2 cup flourish mix, whey, gluten, flax meal
3T splenda
bit of salt
t. melted butter (optional)
1/4 c. egg stuff
enough carb count milk to moisten to cake batter, stir well,
then add 1/4 t.- 1/2 t baking powder the secret to crumbly cereal and not grape nuts is when you add the leavening agent.
stir gently and quickly, spread on a greased 10 inch dinner plate
microvave 2 1/2 min. on high
cut up into 1/2 inch squares, micro another min. stir, micro again if it's not dry and crumbly.
put in cereal bowl, add carb count milk and more sweetener if you like.

Greetings! What is Flourish Mix? (or what are the proportions of the Whey, Gluten, FlaxMeal)?

Love to know, when you get two hands free ;)

ddaniels
Mon, Nov-21-05, 22:00
Greetings! What is Flourish Mix? (or what are the proportions of the Whey, Gluten, FlaxMeal)?

Love to know, when you get two hands free ;)

Maybe she means a flour-ish mix???? :)

lonewolf
Mon, Nov-21-05, 22:15
I just wanted to say thank you so much Nancy for creating bowl muffins! For one thing, they are so versatile and there are so many combinations and creations taht one can just about never tire of them. They've inspired so many people! I've read about everything from berry cobblers to stuffing in this thread!

It also inspired me to take things a step further into making other things. My Pumpkin loaf and Holiday cranberry bread were both inspired by the bowl muffin idea!

IslandGirl
Tue, Nov-22-05, 02:19
Maybe she means a flour-ish mix???? :)

Oh, right! :lol:

vmay
Wed, Nov-23-05, 11:48
Just made a yummy bowl muffin with Hood LC eggnog, vanilla SF syrup, and cinnamon. MMMMMMMmmmmm.

lonewolf
Fri, Nov-25-05, 22:18
Ooooooh, now THAT sounds GOOOOOOOOD! :)

cekayak
Sun, Nov-27-05, 06:52
Sorry it took so long to get back, relatives, etc. Thanksgiving

Flourish mix is any dry, powdery substance that can be used instead of high carb flour. My current mix is 1 T. whey powder, 1 T. gluten powder, 1 T. golden flax meal, 1 T. adkins baking mix, and 1/2 t. baking powder

Current bowl muffin success Oyster dressing for Thanksgiving

Use 1/2 baking mix of your choice, 1/4 c. egg beaten, 1/2 t. poultry seasoning, optional. save liquid from frying oysters to use for batter
fry a half pint of oysters in butter til edges frizzle. put in bottom of square baking dish, use enough liquid from frying oysters to make semi-thick batter, spread batter over oysters, nuke for five min. or whatever it takes to cook throughly.
have a good day,
maggie, with all fingers still intact but very wet and bruised from Caven's new toofers.

Gypsumoon
Thu, Dec-01-05, 18:31
Hey Joanee, thanks! I haven't been back in to the forum in a couple of weeks so just now saw these - just in time for holiday baking, whew.

I made it through my first Thanksgiving as a LCer with flying colors, and plan to sail through the Yule season the same way :::knocking on wood::: These recipes will definitely help!

And I'll go bravely explore my settings and change things so that PMs are a go.

Thanks again!
Cindy

sassy03
Wed, Dec-14-05, 12:01
Hi everyone,

I've been missing my bowl muffins and I thought I give it a try and experiment to come up with one induction friendly. There might be a few out there but here's what I came up with, if it already has been posted, my apologies.

2tbsp of cocoa powder)allowed on induction Ocarbs
1 egg
some butter
davinci sf syrup any flavor, I added vanilla

I also tried one with flax meal(don't know if it's induction friendly) anyone know?
They both cured my chocolate fix quick. :lol: :yum: :yum:

MissSherry
Fri, Dec-23-05, 13:33
Be aware I made a big one as it was more like a brunch meal.

1/4 cup CQ
1/4 cup Almond meal
1/4 cup Vanilla SF syrup
1/4 cup Mrs Butterworths SF syrup
1 beaten egg
1 T cinnamon
1T heavy cream

Nuked 2 minutes.....

MissSherry
Wed, Dec-28-05, 09:08
Another variation:
1/4 cup ground almonds
1/4 cup CQ
1/4 cup vanilla SF syrup
1/4 heavy cream
1 egg
lemon extract to taste (add a bit more then you would think as some cooks out)

Nuke 2 min
Enjoy...

PML
Mon, Jan-16-06, 12:43
Update: Bowl Muffins (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost.php?p=5484843&postcount=157), recipe and condensed list of variations (as of #331 / 01/16/06)

Whew! Over 140 new posts to condense in this new version!

Good news and bad news: the good news is I have made updates as of post #331... the bad news is that now the document is so large that it won't fit into one post in my journal. At first I thought I would split it into three or more new posts in my journal but decided against that. It takes soooooo much time already to do this that I just can't spend the added, ever growing, time needed to continually split the document (and deal with format issues), in order to post it into my journal, as new additons are made.
So... I am going to attach (or try to attach... I haven't done this before) my original word document to this thread so that anyone who wants to look at or print the document can do so. (It has been scanned with Norton AntiVirus.) If you can't access the file or can't deal with a Word document, let me know and I will try something else as a solution. Any thoughts?

Oops... just tried... file is too large for upload :lol: so I will split the Word document into four files... here we go again... :D

O.K... just split the file into 4 files. If you want to download the files, you can merge them back together and save as one document... if you do this, the bookmarks on the first page will work so that you can quickly jump to the location of the different variations.
If anyone has any problems, please let me know.... maybe I'll get this all set up sooner or later.

Phyllis

P.S. Well, these four files are now using a third of my alloted upload space. That isn't going to work for me. Perhaps I can start another thread of the condensed document and then put in a link to it. Any suggestions?

spiderdust
Mon, Jan-16-06, 15:17
Make a website and post the recipes?

IslandGirl
Tue, Jan-17-06, 02:14
Zip them (where-ever they end up) so they take up a lot less space?

PML
Tue, Jan-17-06, 07:08
Make a website and post the recipes?

A thought for the future... At the moment I don't have a site set up and don't see having the time to do so any time in the near future... but... I've always wanted to set one up so that I can list or link to recipes.

Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Phyllis

PML
Tue, Jan-17-06, 07:14
Zip them (where-ever they end up) so they take up a lot less space?

:lol: Why didn't I think of that!!!??? :lol:

For now I'll leave them as they are since I have the room available at the moment. As they are now, anyone can view them and those that have Word (I guess there are those that don't) can download and utilize the bookmark capability.

Thank you IslandGirl! :lol: I can't believe I didn't think of zip'ing!

Phyllis

potatofree
Sun, Feb-26-06, 20:17
I just made this with the carbquik, but I added a little vanilla, a dash of nutmeg, and dusted the finished "muffin" with some erythritol. Powdered doughnut!

franzie99
Mon, Feb-27-06, 06:22
Hey there! I have noticed that LOTS of LC recipes call for Almond flour, or almonds in some sort, but.. I am allergic to almonds! Oddly enough, the only nuts I am NOT allergic to are peanuts and cashews! Any suggestions on nut substitutions or something like Almond Flour that I could use in place of the flour?
Thanks for the advice!!!
Tracy :help:

LadyBelle
Mon, Feb-27-06, 07:16
I am allergic to almonds! Oddly enough, the only nuts I am NOT allergic to are peanuts and cashews!

That's not odd at all. Peanuts and cashews aren't really nuts, they are legumes like beans.

Can you handle soy? Many recipies use soy flour instead. There are numerous bake mixes on the market, and many recipies can use designer whey or other protien powder as the "flour". Having an allergy shouldn't halt your enjoyment of foods, just requires more creativity and experimentation until you find recipies you like and can work with.

franzie99
Mon, Feb-27-06, 16:13
Well that is fascinating! I can't believe no one pointed that out to me before! Thanks for the advice, I can handle soy flour and Carbquick, so I'll try that! :)

vmay
Mon, Feb-27-06, 21:08
Made a good "french toast".

2 eggs
about 1/2 cup of LC white bread mix.
some SF vanilla syrup
some SF maple syrup
cinnamon to taste
water to thin to cake batter consistancy

Nuke for 2 minutes. Remove from bowl. Cut into 4 thick slices and grill in frypan with pan spray or butter until golden. Top with butter and SF maple syrup.

Sorry I never measure. You just have to eyeball this. Valerie

Christine1
Sat, Apr-01-06, 07:33
Jumping on the Bowl muffin bandwagon here. I ordered Carbquick from Netrition.com because of this thread. Got my order yesterday and immediately made a bowl muffin:

1/4 C CQ
1/4 C SF DaVinci Vanilla
2T Cocoa
1 egg
sprinkled 1 T of SF chocolate chips on top
Nuked for 2 min (I have a lower power microwave)

AWESOME!!!!

Think I'm going to ditch the baking cocoa and use SF Chocolate syrup. Will probably also ditch the SF chocolate chips since they have so many sugar alcohols in them.

Anyway - lovely concept - thank you very much!!!

cekayak
Sun, Apr-02-06, 20:39
Haven't been here for a while.

I wondered if you'd like to know what I discovered while making dog treats. I took the bowl muffin recipe and used ground dog food for the flour mixture.
But I added some oil cause the puppy needs fats. And i didn't use any flavor syrup. Then I dropped small gobs on a pizza stone and microwaved it for three minutes. I turned them over and nuked them two more minutes. They were crispy. Oh my goodness, so I quickly made a batch with bran flour mix and walnut pieces. vanilla flavoring , no syrup. Nuked them like dog treats and voila! cookies. Oh yeah. A whole day supply, really good with coffee and tea.

1/2 cup walnut pieces
1/3 stick butter, melted
4 T. or more splenda
1/2 t. vanilla
1 egg
mix well,
add 3 heaping spoons of flour substitute or enough to make cookie dough texture. It doesn't have to be a pizza stone but what else ya gonna do with that thing you bought at your friend's pampered chef party. And it fits better in the microwave than a cookie sheet.
Maggie, last day in florida.going north tomorrow. :wave:

joanee
Wed, Apr-05-06, 09:13
...and can't wait to try it!

Coupla days ago, I made a straightforward bowl muffin using 1/2 Minicarb biscuit mix and 1/2 Honeyville Grains corn bran (0 carbs!), water instead of syrup, to make cornbread. Toasted it to dry it a little, slathered it with butter, and I gotta say, it turned out great. Next time, I'll put a bit of Splenda in it, just because I'm used to slightly sweetened corn breads (although my father, Georgia-raised in his formative years, thought sugar in corn bread was a sign that the devil had invaded your kitchen!)

Hey all... what do you think of the sweetened / unsweetened cornbread thing? Weigh in (with your opinion, not your scales, lol).

Cekayak, hope you love the north. And Nancy, have I thanked you lately for this concept?

Nancy LC
Wed, Apr-05-06, 11:05
Cekayak, hope you love the north. And Nancy, have I thanked you lately for this concept?
LOL! I never read this thread any longer since I can't eat wheat or grains. But I'm glad everyone else is enjoying it!

franzie99
Thu, Apr-06-06, 12:45
Nancy, why can't you eat wheat or grains anymore?
And, while I'm posting.. has anyone tried coconut flour? I'm allergic to Almonds, so almond flour is out, but I thought I'd give coconut flour a try.. as long as it's good! :)

Nancy LC
Thu, Apr-06-06, 13:24
I found out I'm sensitive to gluten, I don't digest it properly. Corn gives me problems too. I do use coconut flour but it is weird stuff, I'm not sure it would work in this. I'll have to try it! Thanks for reminding me!

I'm having problems digesting nuts too. And they're awfully fattening!

cnmLisa
Fri, Jun-16-06, 19:20
Thought I'd bring this to the forefront again!! Because bowl muffins are so versatile, I made bowl muffin waffles. Used the same bowl muffin mix that I usually do and added in 1 TBS coconut oil into the batter. This made 2 crispy, pumpkiny waffles. I will be using my waffle iron much more these days:wave:

2 TBS vanilla whey protein isolate
2 TBS flax meal
2 TBS almond meal
1-2 pkt Splenda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 egg
2 TBS pumpkin or applesauce
1 TBS melted coconut oil
Big splash of Davinci--you choose the flavor

Mix into batter. Makes 2 waffles.

Ressy
Tue, Jun-20-06, 16:21
Do you think this would work with Bob's Red Mill Low carb baking mix?

Ressy

IslandGirl
Tue, Jun-20-06, 21:56
Do you think this would work with Bob's Red Mill Low carb baking mix?

Ressy

If you get some time, have a rummage around in the early pages of this Bowl Muffin discusssion thread; you'll see that all kinds of bake mixes are used in a wild number of variations.

It's fun! Give it a shot; it's only a microwave size muffin, after all. Perfect for experimenting.

:wave:

patricia1
Sat, Sep-23-06, 08:59
tried the original recipe,
1/8 C Flax Meal
1/8 C Almond meal
1/4 cup Da Vinci Banana Syrup
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
1 TBLS peanut Butter

I fell in love!

Thought I'd share...Thanks Nancy!

~Pat

LattéLover
Sat, Sep-23-06, 14:18
Thanks Nancy, for all these suggestions, and for everyone's responses! I am drooling.......you guys and gals are one creative bunch; this will help me stay motivated isntead of always having my regular stuff.

Latté Lover

yummys_gir
Fri, Sep-29-06, 08:43
Is there a version of this that just makes a quick regular bread that I can slice up and put in the toaster?

I went through all of the pages of this thread and If there is one here I missed it. (I have a feeling its here and I overlooked it.)

Thanks for any help!

IslandGirl
Fri, Sep-29-06, 13:25
Is there a version of this that just makes a quick regular bread that I can slice up and put in the toaster?

I went through all of the pages of this thread and If there is one here I missed it. (I have a feeling its here and I overlooked it.)

Thanks for any help!

Find one "recipe" that has a mix of "flours" that you have access to; add a pinch of salt, delete sweeteners, change out any flavored/sweetened syrups for plain water. Then give it a try. It's a small and low risk experiment.

Enjoy your experiment and post back here!

rightnow
Fri, Sep-29-06, 13:41
A variant of this is on the "flax bread" thread and that's a no-flavoring 'standard' you can slice up for toasting. (I added some caraway seed to mine to mimic some Rye flavor.)

grbnbpb
Sun, Dec-17-06, 20:08
This is my first posting on the Low Carber Forum. Someone mentioned gingerbread in this thread, but when I searched I couldn't find it.

Thanks,
-Bella and Blessing, her wheelchair Service Dog

cekayak
Wed, Dec-20-06, 10:52
I've used the regular bowl muffin for toast. I use carb count milk for the liquid, no flavoring and make it in the micro then I let it cool and saw it into slices with a serrated knife and put in the toaster. It take two or thre cycles to get nice and golden and crispy.

For hamburger buns I make the mix a little thicker and mound it up on the plate, micro 2 min. but usually I'm too lazy and just pretend the bowl muffin is a bun. If you bake it in the oven it gets a lot like a biscuit.

The other thing I've been doing is using davinci maple flavored syrup for the flavoring and making pancakes to make a McGriddle sandwich. The two pancakes make the top and bottom of the sandwich. It's really good. I found that I want the mix a little thicker than pancake batter so I can control the flow. Also it helps to add a bit of oil or butter to the batter.

I tried making donuts but the flourish stuff absorbs too much grease. It tasted all right if you can get paste the grease bomb thing.

Have you tried making mayonaise biscuits with the lo carb baking mix? It gives them a lighter, fluffier mouth feel and a slightly tangy taste close to a yeast roll.

1 tsp. mayonaise
1/4 lo carb mix, which has 1/4 t. of baking powder and a pinch of salt. (I use carb quick which has the bp in it.)
enough milk to moisten to biscuit dough texture.
either mound on plate and nuke for two min. or bake in oven for 20 min. at 350.

Hope this is useful to someone.
Maggie

cnmLisa
Wed, Dec-20-06, 15:03
Maggie--funny that you do that!!!

I just started doing that the past couple of weeks. I make mine the night before when I'm doing dishes and throw it in the frige until morning. Slice it, toast it, butter it--it's like an english muffin.
I also take my bowl mufin mix, add a TBS of melted coconut oil and use the batter for waffles. Always a winner with butter and SF pancake syrup!

LCDancer
Wed, Jan-17-07, 08:42
OMG! This needs to be bumped so everyone can see this and try this marvelous muffin!

I finally tried it :yum: today and all I mixed was some Carbquik and some DaVinci Caramel syrup and it is bombalicious! I have been struggling lately with wanting something sweet in the afternoon and this is going to be perfect. I am keeping my Carbquik here at work--I already keep most of my DaVinci's here.

Thank you so much for this great idea!

yummys_gir
Wed, Jan-17-07, 23:31
Yes these are great! I love them!

frisbena
Mon, Feb-05-07, 12:31
I just made a nice one that tasted like a chocolate macaroon

2 T of Almond meal
1 T of Flax meal
1 T of Unsweetened coconut
1/4 tsp of baking powder (although I am not convinced it did anything)
1 heaping T of cocoa
Vanilla Davincis and Cream to moisten. Cook for 2 minutes and Voila!

cnmLisa
Mon, May-21-07, 22:58
Bumping this!! Someone was looking for it!:wave:

rightnow
Tue, May-22-07, 00:41

2 T of Almond meal
1 T of Flax meal
1 heaping T of cocoa

Sound good. How much Vanilla DaVinci and Cream?? Thanks.

cekayak
Tue, May-22-07, 07:38
It's been almost two years since I saw the bowl muffin info. I dropped down to 192 lbs. because it gave me the freedom to eat like I regularly want, toast for breakfast, sandwich for lunch, a starch type dish for dinner. The bowl muffin and dreamfield's pasta makes my meal plans complete. I can't thank Nancy enough for taking the time to post this recipe. I'm a "tweaker" enjoying the creativeness of messing with a recipe. This muffin is so basic that tweaking it becomes a hobby. Could you guys list some of the variations you've come up with?

This morning I made a one egg muffin (in a pie plate) with sugar free spice blend syrup and added (1/2 c small curd cottage cheese, sweetened and flavored with sugar free maple syrup) to the middle of the uncooked muffin, nuked it for 3 min. and sprinkled cinnamon over the top. That was a yummy, very large coffee cake. I have a can of carb free whipped cream calling my name in the fridge. So I squirted some on the muffin. Shame on me but boy was it worth it, lol. :lol:

grbnbpb
Tue, May-29-07, 14:42
Yesterday, I went to make a snickerdoodle bowl muffin to use for topping on my mostly-rhubarb sauce with some skinny apple slices in it. I forgot to stir the apple pie spice into my bowl muffin, so stopped the MW at 1min & stirred the spice in. I knew it was a mistake as soon as my spoon crashed into all those wonderful little bubbles. Sure enough; the stir took all the lift out of my muffin.

Nancy LC
Tue, May-29-07, 14:47

2 T of Almond meal
1 T of Flax meal
1 heaping T of cocoa
No egg? How did it stick together?

Goanna
Tue, Jun-12-07, 17:12
I saw this thread a while back but for some reason I never tried making one. I was browsing the carbalose site though and saw a couple mentioned on their recipe page. I tried the pumpkin spice one last night and it came out pretty good. Wasnt quite sweet enough so next time I think ill add in some extra splenda. Also comes out kind of wet with a whole extra large egg.

This morning I tried making a chocolate one, and I made a double batch since the 1 extra large egg seemed to be too much. I used a little water and heavy creme to thin it out a bit more instead of a second egg. The texture was perfect, just like a real muffin!

I am running low on carbquik so I am going to try some using just the flax, almond and hazelnut flours that I have, since I see others doing the same. I just ordered a 5lb bag of CQ from netrition though, so I should have plenty in a few days, lol.

One thing I do different is I use a mixing bowl and then I put the batter into a 3" ramekin to microwave. Yes it gives me an extra bowl to wash but I do this for 2 reasons. First, most of my cereal bowls arent microwave safe, and second the ramekin results in what actually looks like a real muffin.

I spray the ramekin quickly with non stick spray, and then after 2 min in the microwave I can pop the muffin right out of the ramekin, and as said it actually is in the shape of a muffin :D.

Goanna
Tue, Jun-12-07, 22:54
Here's one I just did, a Faux Corn Muffin.

I made a double batch and poured them into 2 4" ramekins sprayed with canola baking spray.

1/3 cup carb quick
2.5 tbs almond flour
2.5 tbs hazelnut flour
1.5 tbs splenda granuals
1/2 tsp baking powder (figured the small amount of leavining in the carb quick could use some assistance for this)
pinch of salt
1 extra large egg
1/3 cup heavy creme

Microwave both ramkins at once, 2:00 to 2:20 on high (1000 watt oven).

First time it came out perfect, nice texture, moisture, good rise. Second time it came out a little wet but after cutting it and popping in the toaster it was fine!

I will be getting some corn bran to play around with later on the week (just ordered it today) I plan on replacing one tbs of the hazelnut with it. That should really give it a corn flavor and up the fiber content at the same time.

LadyBelle
Sat, Jun-30-07, 15:04
This is a really flexable recipe. I tried a new combination today.

2 tbsp flax meal
2 tbsp carb quick
2 tbsp whey protien (body fortress, tastes 100 times better then designer whey in shakes)
2 tbsp polyD plus
1 tbsp almond meal
2 tbsp cream
1 tbsp almond DaVinci
1 egg
splash of vanilla extract

After microwaving it I topped with cream cheese and some sugar free jelly. I'm looking for ways of adding flax to my diet, plus a way to use the jellies I bought on a shopping binge.

I don't have the exact nutritional counts exactly for this. Too lazy to enter the custom foods I don't have already in fitday. There are under 350 calories, around 5g net carbs after taking out 3-4g fiber, and the ratios on it are like 69% fat, 27% protien, and 4% carbs, so a really good ratio for atkins.

jddistef
Tue, Sep-11-07, 09:52
I stumbled onto this while looking for a flax recipe. I started with the One Minute muffin and am totally hooked. I can't wait to try some of the variations here!

I don't have bake mix and as of now only have the flax meal, but it sounds like that will do it for starters...

Will the flax really help with constipation? How much flax/day is recommended?

penelope
Tue, Sep-11-07, 12:38
Flax is like a sponge it needs lot of drinking water to move things along.

jddistef
Wed, Sep-12-07, 11:49
Thanks... I'll make sure my water consumption is up.

Another question: I don't have carbquick... but I'm using flax meal. What are the benefits of using almond meal or any of the others listed? Taste? Texture? I like the health benefits attributed to flax, but I just read that some people stall when they use it...

penelope
Wed, Sep-12-07, 12:24
I don’t use Carbquick I think it has Soya in it. I stay away from Soya. I like adding part almond meal and part coconut flour to my ground flax I find that it make a more pleasurable mouth feel.
You have to try different proportions yourself.
I make coconut flour with a coffee grinder and some unsweetened coconut. I do one cup ground flax and 1/3 cup almond meal and 1/3 coconut flour and 1/3 cup wheat bran.
Sorry, that is for a dozen muffins. Just go with tablespoons, eyeball it.

Goanna
Wed, Sep-12-07, 15:22
I don’t use Carbquick I think it has Soya in it. I stay away from Soya. I like adding part almond meal and part coconut flour to my ground flax I find that it make a more pleasurable mouth feel.
You have to try different proportions yourself.
I make coconut flour with a coffee grinder and some unsweetened coconut. I do one cup ground flax and 1/3 cup almond meal and 1/3 coconut flour and 1/3 cup wheat bran.
Sorry, that is for a dozen muffins. Just go with tablespoons, eyeball it.
Penelope, Carbquik is actually one of the few LC baking mixes that is Soy free (I hate the taste of soy flour also). It's wheat based, that's why it has such a good taste when used as a substitute for wheat flours. It does sometimes have an aftertaste but when you are making flavoured bake goods you dont usually notice it.

penelope
Wed, Sep-12-07, 16:48
Thank you I didn't know. I hope it is not too good because I have a great affection for baked goods.

ebp
Wed, Apr-08-09, 12:14
Ok wanted something for my burger when I took out my daughter. Used CQ, goldenflaxseed meal and almond flour. To moisten I used some beer and cream. The beer gave it a yeastie flavor that resmbeled real bread buns. EBP :)

cekayak
Thu, Apr-09-09, 15:09
Wow, I tried mayonaise but it didn't work as well as it does with self-rising flour for a yeasty flavor. I want a good yeasty crust for pizza.

Now if you could just figure out the flavor of that square donut shaped bran cereal. I've tried to replicate it and gotten nowhere near the texture or flavor.
Maggie

ebp
Sun, Apr-12-09, 10:39
can anyone stand another bowl recipe? Maple/Pumkin breakfast muffin/loaf. 1/4c each Carb quick almond flour mixed with 1tablespoon flax mix the dry. in another bowl mix 1egg 2/4 c sugar free maple syrup ( I like maple grove farms) scant 1/4c cream. 1/4 c pumkin 1tea pumkin pie spice or cinnamon if you prefer. SS to taste. (I used about 4 drops sweetzfree snd one packet Truva pour wet into dry mix till well combined. a few lumps are ok add a tablespoon of pecans if desired mic for 2/4 min depending on you oven. I like to eat mine with butter and a cuppa tea. For the whole mix. which is quiet a lot I get around 4net carbs enjoy Elaine ;) Happy Holiday

sherlock
Tue, Jun-02-09, 10:05
Thanks for the great ideas everybody!! I can't wait to give some of 'em a try!

maryb55
Fri, Aug-14-09, 22:52
Well my take on this tonight was:

1/4 C CQ
1 Egg
2 T AS
2 T Cocoa
a mix of water and Davinci toasted Marshmellow SF syrup

very yummy

Marcia Mae
Wed, Aug-19-09, 19:36
Since I came across this thread, I've made three different bowls - I am in LOVE :rheart:

So far I have made chocolate cake with 1/3c CQ, 1/2 packet SF Swiss Miss, a dash of vanilla davincci, 1/2 egg, 1T SF chocolate chips and then topped it with cream cheese and a dab of Coolwhip (to sweeten the cream cheese) nuked for a minute and it's the BEST!!

Then I made an apple pie with 1/3 CQ, 1/2 egg, dash of cinamon, dash of vanilla davincci, 1/8 c chopped SF apple pie filling and topped with cream cheese and coolwhip and nuked. This was even better than the chocolate cake.

Finally I made a pizza - which had a good taste, but a little messy. First in a square tubberware I mixed 1/3c CQ, with 1/2 egg, a dash of vanilla davincci, some italian seasoning and a little water, nuked for 20 sec. Then topped with 1 T pizza sauce, pepperoni and cheese. Nuked for another minute or so. Let out to cool. Once cool, I lifted it out of the bowl and sliced. It was a little hard to handle since it wasn't crispy - I didn't want to over cook the "crust". I bet if you cooked this crust in the microwave first, then topped it and cooked it in the oven, it would be better.

gweny70
Thu, Mar-04-10, 08:13
Made one of these again this week. yummy!

katerina
Sun, Mar-07-10, 10:37
I just tried NancyLC's Bowl Muffins, so I am years late on this thread, BUT! It worked very well! I don't use grains so can't really do the QC thing, but used coconut meal. I had to use more half and half than an equal amount, actually a good bit more as it seemed the coconut simply absorbed whatever I put into it! That said, I added a bit of baking powder, a good dose of stevia and some cinnamon, and it was a great treat. Can I use the stiffer dough to make cookies? My husband who does not like stevia or coconut actually said it did not taste bad. I ordered some chocolate extract and some almond meal today, so I can add that to the ingredients list that I have on hand pretty soon. It's a great way to relieve boredom on a low carb diet.

chermac
Sun, Mar-07-10, 10:44
I LOVE bowl muffins. I haven't tried one using coconut flour yet, but I'm going to try them this week and hope I can get one with a good texture

zajack
Tue, May-18-10, 17:34
:D ha! Had forgotten about these and am back to dabble!!! (may have to play with coconut oil a bit...hmmmm)

chermac
Tue, May-18-10, 17:38
I've been using a blend of:

1/8 c each flaxmeal and almond flour
1 TBSP coconut flour

instead of all flaxmeal for my bowl muffins and love it! Lately I've been topping them with 1 TBSP of cream cheese mixed with 1 tsp of SF orange marmalde - delicious

Nancy LC
Wed, May-19-10, 11:48
I just tried NancyLC's Bowl Muffins, so I am years late on this thread, BUT! It worked very well! I don't use grains so can't really do the QC thing, but used coconut meal. I had to use more half and half than an equal amount, actually a good bit more as it seemed the coconut simply absorbed whatever I put into it! That said, I added a bit of baking powder, a good dose of stevia and some cinnamon, and it was a great treat. Can I use the stiffer dough to make cookies? My husband who does not like stevia or coconut actually said it did not taste bad. I ordered some chocolate extract and some almond meal today, so I can add that to the ingredients list that I have on hand pretty soon. It's a great way to relieve boredom on a low carb diet.
I had chocolate extract once, it was nasty. :( Can you use cocoa powder? It is very low carb.

I'm glad the bowl muffin worked out for you! I have to add a ton of water and make it fairly soupy when I use coconut flour. Even then, I watch it like a hawk in the microwave so it doesn't overcook.

Goanna
Thu, Jul-22-10, 20:40
Well it's been quite some time since I made one of these. Haven't been on a Keto for a couple of years now. But now that I am back on low carb, I am going to give these a whirl again.

First up, I am going to try an Orange Rum cake. I bought Davinci Orange sugar free syrup so I will use that with some rum and I am going to put some ginger and clove in as well. If it is a success, I will let you guys know .

EDIT: Okay, first attempt was pretty successful :D.

1/2 cup of carb quick
1/4 cup of almond flour
~1/8 tsp of dry ginger (I use whole dry ginger and grate it on a microplane for best falvor)
~1/8 tsp of ground clove (I grind it right before use for best flavor)
1 egg
1/4 cup of DaVinci Sugar Free Orange Syrup
1 TBS Bacardi Rum
Enough Heavy Creme to bring it to a Pancake Batter consistency (Maybe 1/4 cup at most)

Mix all dry ingredients, add the wet stuff and mix it together well with a whisk. Split it up into 2 4" Oiled Ramekins and Microwave on high for 2 minutes.

The result was a very light/fluffy muffin that was moist and perfectly sweet for my tastes. It was almost like an angel food cake.

What I may try different next time is to use a little bit more ginger and clove and I may use Canola Oil or Hemp Milk to finish the batter instead of heavy creme. I am hoping the higher fat content will produce a denser cake more like pound cake instead of angel food cake.

cekayak
Fri, Jul-23-10, 04:17
I thought the denseness has to do with how much liquid. I haven't been able to get a pound cake texture yet. What makes brownies cake like or fudge like? Maybe that would make the difference?

Goanna
Fri, Jul-23-10, 07:20
I thought the denseness has to do with how much liquid. I haven't been able to get a pound cake texture yet. What makes brownies cake like or fudge like? Maybe that would make the difference?
Yeah, that is true. I could cut back on the liquids a bit, but by using a fat instead of a water based liquid to sufficiently wet the batter, that will result in less steam forming while in the microwave. Less steam means less bubbles forming in the batter which should result in a more dense cake.

Goanna
Wed, Jul-28-10, 22:48
Okay so the Lemon Poppyseed experiment was a mixed success.

I did 1/2 cup CarbQuick, 1/3 Almond Flour, 1.4 Tbs Splenda Granular, 2 Tbs Poppy Seeds, 1/8th tsp Lemon Zest (dry zest that I re-hydrated in a tsp of Rum) 1 tbs Lemon Juice, 1 Egg and I used maybe a Tbs of Mayonnaise to wet the batter just a bit. It was a pretty thick batter. Microwaved for 1 Minute 45 Seconds in a 1100 Watt microwave.

Result was nice and moist and much denser then my previous Orange Rum muffins. There was much less water based liquid in this one and the mayonaisse definitly helped maintain moisture.

The sweetness and the lemon flavor could definitly have used a boost though. Also a subtle mayonnaise aftertaste was present that I was not too fond of.

Next time I will try sour creme instead of mayo to moisten the batter, and I will up the splenda content a bit. I will also go buy some Absolut Limon vodka or Bacardi Limon rum (both have 0 carbs per serving) and use that instead of plain rum and I will up the amount of lemon zest. Will report back on how that works.

My next variation planned is German Chocolate Cake using the Davinci GCC Syrup, a mix of Natural and Dutch Processed Cocoa, and some chopped bakers chocolate. Perhaps I will moisten it with unsweetened chocolate almond milk for even more chocolaty goodness, lol.

Fri, Aug-27-10, 00:11
Wow and wow again! All this time and I'm just now finding this thread. Oh well, it was worth the wait.

Just made my first muffin bowl this morning & it was fantastic. In fact I felt absolutely guilty as I was eating it. Okay I'm checking my weight tomorrow and if I'm up even one ounce this wonderful treat is going on the backburner. So we'll see.

I used what I had on hand:

Part CQ & part Dixie LC bake mix total 1/4 cup
1/2 tsp of pumpkin spice & a couple drops of pure vanilla extract
1 tsp of philly cream cheese
1 tsp butter
2 tbsl of davinchi pancake maple flavor
3 tbls of heavy cream

I baked this in my convection oven instead of my microwave...just 'cause...and it was heaven. :yum:

gweny70
Fri, Aug-27-10, 08:15
Wow and wow again! All this time and I'm just now finding this thread. Oh well, it was worth the wait.

Just made my first muffin bowl this morning & it was fantastic. In fact I felt absolutely guilty as I was eating it. Okay I'm checking my weight tomorrow and if I'm up even one ounce this wonderful treat is going on the backburner. So we'll see.

I used what I had on hand:

Part CQ & part Dixie LC bake mix total 1/4 cup
1/2 tsp of pumpkin spice & a couple drops of pure vanilla extract
1 tsp of philly cream cheese
1 tsp butter
2 tbsl of davinchi pancake maple flavor
3 tbls of heavy cream

I baked this in my convection oven instead of my microwave...just 'cause...and it was heaven. :yum:

Your version sounds really yummy! I always try a chocolate version which I luv but yours sounds so yummy think I"m going to give it a try!

Hope you don't see any negative reaction to the muffin on the scales. Funny how some folks can't eat this stuff at all because it stalls them and others can eat it daily & still loose weight. Guess that's why it's so important to be our own experiment. :)

Happy muffin eating! :)

Fri, Aug-27-10, 11:49
Just checked my weight and I'm actually down 2 lbs so that good.

I'm glad u like my version. It did taste heavenly. Thank you. :p

gweny70
Fri, Aug-27-10, 12:22
Just checked my weight and I'm actually down 2 lbs so that good.

AWESOME!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

Fri, Aug-27-10, 18:29
I modified it today because I like to keep my heavy cream daily limit to 2 to 3 tablespoons and I already know 2 of those are going to my coffee.

So today I just used 1 tbls of HC, 1 tbls of davinci, and added an egg. This was very good too and came out as a muffin instead of a bread pudding consistency using just HC. Again I used my convection oven. Both versions are very tasty.

jeanyyy
Wed, Sep-29-10, 13:39
Just tried my first bowl muffin - nothin fancy, but since I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the variations, I just picked a simple sounding one.

First Try Bowl Muffin

1/4 C CQ
1/4 C SF DaVinci Vanilla + DV English Toffee (not enough left in the Vanilla bottle)
2T Cocoa
1 egg

Nuked for 2 minutes on High.

Result Pretty good, a bit strong on the AS flavour and a bit eggy. I think these are XL eggs, so perhaps that's why. I will keep playing.

Do you all nuke them in the same bowl you mixed them in? I transferred mine to a butter-greased custard bowl and it popped right out onto a plate.

I must search to see if there is a cheddar-ham scone type one somewhere.. Mmmm, that would be a great brekky!

Nancy LC
Wed, Sep-29-10, 14:57
Do you all nuke them in the same bowl you mixed them in? I transferred mine to a butter-greased custard bowl and it popped right out onto a plate.
I always did, because I'm very lazy.

2 minutes is a long time to nuke. Make sure you aren't overcooking it.

GlendaRC
Wed, Sep-29-10, 18:52
I hadn't made one for a long time, so I reviewed the recipe and followed the suggestion for 2 mins nuking! Big Mistake!! So dry it was actually inedible ... 1 min. next time, and test! I have a feeling that even if it's not quite cooked, the residual heat would finish it!

jeanyyy
Wed, Sep-29-10, 23:13
Oh mine wasn't dry at all... however, it *was* eggy and quite a strong "AS" flavour. I think I would use a combo of Splenda and Da Vinci next time.

Nancy LC
Thu, Sep-30-10, 10:13
Hmmm, I guess it was my recommendation to go 2 minutes. Maybe that's appropriate, I don't really use this recipe any more. Usually these days I start at 1 minute and add a bit more if it isn't cooked.

You could use less than an egg, of course, add more water to make up for the less liquid.

GlendaRC
Thu, Sep-30-10, 12:06
My old micro is only 800 watt but 2 mins was definitely too long in it ... also, I was having it with eggs so didn't want it sweet, just moistened with an egg and some cream, no sweetener. Maybe it just needed more liquid. I don't have CQ - I just use a mix of almond & flax meals & whey protein powder for all my baking. Next time, I'll make a sweet version using vanilla syrup and some cocoa for a brownie type. Maybe drizzle a square of melted 85% Lindt on it!

Fri, Feb-04-11, 23:45
I'm back on the bowl muffins this week.

Today I did a vanilla and pumpkin pie seasonings bowl muffin which is what I've been eating for breakfast pretty much the whole week with a sausage patty on the side.

Tomorrow I'm going to try this one out. With these ingredients I know it's gonna be super yummy already: :yum:

4 Tbls of Bob's Golden Ground Flax Seed
1 tsp of LC Crunchy Peanut Butter
1 tsp of Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 pkg of Splenda (optional)
1 Egg
1 Tbls of Butter
1 Tbls of Davinci SF Peanut Butter (use 2 Tbls if foregoing the splenda pkg)
1 Tbls of chopped Pecans
1 capful of Vanilla Extract
2 Tbls of water

I mix all the dry ingredients together first, then the wet ones, then break up the butter in several pieces and stuff it inside the bowl mix and bake in oven for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. You can use the microwave method to make, but I just have "a thing" for the oven; I like the outcome much better so to each his own. :p

Is it breakfast time yet? :lol:

cekayak
Sat, Feb-05-11, 08:42
I remember the first time I found this thread. It was wonderful. I used it everyday. I had a bowl muffin this morning. chocolate, yum

one thing I have noticed, I can only have one muffin per day or my weight goes up instead of down. same with dreamfields pasta. cream is also a problem for me.

how are you doing with your low carb plan? :wave:

Sat, Feb-05-11, 17:45
I remember the first time I found this thread. It was wonderful. I used it everyday. I had a bowl muffin this morning. chocolate, yum

one thing I have noticed, I can only have one muffin per day or my weight goes up instead of down. same with dreamfields pasta. cream is also a problem for me.

how are you doing with your low carb plan? :wave:

My LC plan rocks! :dazzle:

With using 4 tbls of flax, I don't think I could handle eating more than one muffin a day, that would be way too much fiber for my system.

The peanut butter & spice muffin turned out good. I topped it with some whipped cream cheese. :yum:

Tomorrow I'm going to do the same one, but I'm going to swirl some chocolate in the mix. Guess it will be a Reeses Muffin topped with cream cheese. :yum: Oh goodness! I hope I don't hurt myself with all this LC goodness. :lol:

spiderdust
Sun, Feb-13-11, 23:17
I am so thankful for this thread!! I made a lemony muffin tonight with golden flax meal, DaVinci SF French Vanilla syrup, no sugar added lemon extract, an egg, and baking powder.

katoman
Wed, Apr-06-11, 10:59
OMG! This is really good!

From my "Menu Item Creator" (spreadsheet that I made where I choose ingredients from a drop-down menu, plug in the quantities and get the total macro-nutrient values; quick and easy!)

Gluten-Free Muffin Bowl Recipe

1 Egg;
1 Tbsp Cocoa;
2 Tbsp Flaxseed Meal,
1 Tbsp Corn Meal
1 Tbsp Almond Meal
1 Tbsp Bacon Fat

Mix all ingredients thoroughly, then microwave (mine cooks in 1-1/2 minutes).

Calories 344.22
Total Fat (g) 27.27
Carbs (g) 15.42
Fiber (g) 6.85
Sugars (g) 1.85
Protein (g) 11.25
Net Carbs (g) 8.57

ImOnMyWay
Tue, Jul-31-18, 13:36
Made a savory OMM this morning-- it was very good! I topped it with half a Tbs of butter.

Everything Bagel OMM

1 T milled flax seeds
1 T Bob's Red Mill Low Carb Baking Mix
2 T almond meal
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp Trader Joe's "Everything But The Bagel" seasoning
pinch of salt
1 egg
1 T water
1 tsp flavorful olive oil

except it wasn't "one minute" as I cooked it in the oven. I was hoping to get it to brown - but a toothpick inserted came out clean after 15 minutes, and between "not brown" and "dry", I'll pick "not brown".

Also, the muffin didn't cleanly release from my mini souffle dish, even though I greased it well with olive oil. How can I get the damn things to release from the baking dish? Am I going to have to be fussy and cut a circle of parchment paper? Or is there another trick you all have up your sleeves?

Thanks.

WonderBird
Mon, Feb-11-19, 08:08
The search here is abysmal so I can't find if sausage was mentioned in here already. But I'm going to try this to reproduce a sausage cheese bread that a local bakery here sells. They add solid bits of scrambled eggs to theirs, but I think our way of using an egg mixed in with the batter and cooked that way would still be fine. So a sausage, egg, and cheese bowl muffin for breakfast. Yum!

I have just now found this post but I had already been using a bowl instead of a cup for all the "in a mug" recipes I was trying. So this is right up my alley.