PDA

View Full Version : How long *can* you stay on induction?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

BiT
Fri, Dec-10-04, 13:26
Hello all,

Since I've starded low-carbing I've pretty much stayed in the induction guideline with the exception of a few cheats ( max 4 times ). I've seend really good results for just one month and I would like to continue this for as long as possible. I enjoy what I eat and think I could probably sustain this indefinetly.

My question is, is it safe to stay on induction for say 6 months if required? Induction seems the quickest way to lose the fat, and as I've been having really good results with it, I want to stay on it as long as I can safely do it.

Are there really any negative long term side effects from long term induction? (Besides gastro-intestinal ones) :blush:

Dewi
Fri, Dec-10-04, 13:28
Hello,

Welcome to the forum. Many folks here stay on inducton, especially those that have lots to loose. It shouldnt be a problem.

Good Luck,
Dewi

nowonder
Fri, Dec-10-04, 13:45
Is it safe? I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Is is a great idea? No, not really.

Three things to consider...

1) Not everyone loses best at induction level carbs. Many here lose better at higher carb counts... I'm doing well in the 40 - 50 range myself.

2) Everybody stalls when losing weight... they hit a point where they stop losing for 4 - 6 weeks or even longer. Everyone wants to do something when this happens. If you are at a higher carb count, you can go back to induction levels and maybe break the stall early... But for those alread there, they start looking at very extreme versions of low carb such as egg-fasts and the like.

3) With a greater variety in the diet, I am less likely to cheat.

--nw

kidnj
Fri, Dec-10-04, 15:59
I know it's tempting, but I wouldn't recommend it. You've really got to keep up with vitamin and mineral supplements to continue on induction -- because the limited foods you're allowed will cut your body short on nutrients like magnesium and the like.

Also, if you've felt the need to 'cheat' at all on induction, it isn't really working for you -- the idea behind induction is to stick to it exactly because of the states it puts your body in, namely ketosis and lipolysis. Even a little 'slip' means you should start over. It's a rough two weeks, but if you can manage and then get past it, you'll be allowed those carbs and they won't be cheating.

Good luck to you!
d.

nikkil
Fri, Dec-10-04, 16:11
I've done Induction for pretty much most of my LC life and it's worked pretty well for me EXCEPT I think I'm more likely to cheat. I've learned that I can do Induction levels 99% of the time but I have to allow myself to go up to 30-35g of carbs per day every once in awhile. When I do that, it's either go totally off plan and cheat and it will most likely lead to a binge or going off for 1, 2, 5+ days OR I can decide to go up in carbs for that day and have something I don't normally have like LC treats, nuts, extra carby stuff, whatever. I like this way much better and I'm glad I learned this 'trick' because I feel better and more in control and don't blow the whole plan. I hope that makes sense??

In short, it's fine to stay at Induction levels but allow yourself to up your carbs periodically to avoid a carb blowout :)

jessica020
Fri, Dec-10-04, 19:00
I see no problem with it, just make sure to spend your carbs wisely, like on dark leafy veggies :)

astrocreep
Fri, Dec-10-04, 20:21
You can stay on induction as long as you want really. I've been on it for 4 months. I do include things periodically that are not listed as ok during induction like LC bread, LC pasta, soy milk, LC juice, nuts, etc. Seeing that you dont have very much weight to loose your prob better offer proceeding into stage 2. Good luck.

astrocreep
Fri, Dec-10-04, 20:24
Oh forgot, for the past two months I've been including 3-4 days of "atkins holiday" where I pretty much eat what I want (still make better carb choices than I used to though). I find this jumps my weightloss and gives me the time to enjoy things I sometimes miss like oatmeal, apples, pbj, jam, etc.

RCFletcher
Sat, Dec-11-04, 09:14
In my opinion it's a very bad idea to stay on induction for longer than the initial two weeks. You need to move into OWL, not just to expand your food choices but also to discover your CCLL. (Critical carb level for losing ie how many carbs you can eat before weight loss stops.) This gives you a valuable tool when you hit a plateau - you can just go back to induction. What will you do if you stall on induction? You can hardly go back to induction! OWL also prepares you better for maintanance when the time comes.

You could find that if you stay on induction too long you are stuck there for life - never being able to go above 20g of carbs a day without starting to put weight back on.

This isn't just about losing fat, it's about a way of eating you can live with for the rest of your life.

Dr Atkins designed this way of eating with 4 stages in mind, not 1.

orchidday
Mon, Dec-13-04, 00:11
I think induction is physically safe for long periods of time. But psychologically, I think it is a mistake. Once you hit maintenence, you really won't have the experience and wisdom you gain from staying on OWL for periods of time. The longterm goal has to be to lose weight and KEEP IT OFF. Staying on induction just teaches you to eat on induction. Really, any diet works to drop weight if you stick to it. But keeping it off forever is the real battle. I know we get impatient, I sure do, but I never want to be this heavy again so it is important to slow down and bit and learn along the way. Best of luck to you :).

Orchid

kidnj
Tue, Dec-14-04, 08:12
Here's the science of it:

"Ketosis occurs when the amount of carbohydrate fuel- the fuel that is needed to run the body - drops below a critical level, forcing the body to turn first to protein and then to fat reserves to do the work carbohydrates normally do. When protein is deflected in this manner, it releases nitrogen into the blood stream, placing a burden on the kidneys as they try to excrete excessive urinary water due to sodium loss. When fat is likewise deflected, the breakup releases fatty acids, or ketones, into the bloodstream, further burdening the kidneys. If ketosis continues for long periods of time, serious damage to the liver and kidneys can occur, which is why most low-carbohydrate, or ketogenic diets recommend only short-term use, typically 14 days."
d.