PDA

View Full Version : in ketosis but not losing weight

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lmc92
Thu, Dec-09-04, 09:06
Hi everyone. I started the LC WOL on November 10, 2004 and I am in ketosis, the sticks say "moderate". However, the scale has not budged. In fact, I lost 5 lbs but it has all come back. I also quit smoking recently and I know that causes the metabolism to slow down but this is ridiculous. That can't be the reason. I have also been doing cardio almost every day for 30 mins or more and lifting weights every other day. I know the whole muscle weighs more than fat thing, but my clothes aren't fitting any differently either. I can't figure it out. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Would appreciate any help, my wedding is in 1 month!!!

chaih20
Thu, Dec-09-04, 09:37
Those sticks also measure fat being burned in your diet, not just from your body. Your sticks are probably reporting fat burned in your diet. Try eating low fat for a day (and low carb) and see if it still says you are in ketosis; if it does, then you have a paradox that your scale isn't budging, but it it DOESN'T then it just shows you that formerly the ketostix were reporting diet fat not body fat.

If the scale isn't going anywhere, then maybe you need to try to eat less or readjust your carbs.

Good luck!

zedneser
Thu, Dec-09-04, 17:28
http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/data/500/62812welcome.gif I have never used the ketosis stix, but if you post a couple days worth of menus folks will have a better understanding and can give you specific tips/advice. Best of luck to you.

MissScruff
Fri, Dec-10-04, 10:15
http://madmonkeygaming.com/uploads/hello-tag01b.gif

Duparc
Sun, Dec-12-04, 13:20
If this is the first occasion that you have been on a low-carb diet then this result is surprising. Having said that, although your body is in ketosis, it is possible that the amount of carbs you are consuming is redressing the balance of loss. Aitkins recommends 3 days on a no-carb diet, then, thereafter, a very limited amount of carbs consisting mainly of dark green vegetables.

If you have tried the LC more than once, then, yes, getting into a plateau is normal and takes a little ingenuity to find a way out of it. Your meals should consist of fat (saturated only) and plenty of it and protein. The closer you are to this diet the more likely you will lose weight.

Hope this helps.

Jazzylyn
Sun, Dec-12-04, 13:52
I just wanted to say HI and welcome you to the forum!

http://www.image-cafe.net/xmas/Awreath1.gif

kiwigal
Sun, Dec-12-04, 23:14
Welcome!!
The idea to post your menu is a good one..we can have a look and maybe 'tweak' things for you! :wave:

lmc92
Mon, Dec-13-04, 08:26
Thank you all for your encouragement! I have done LC before and what Duparc said makes sense. I guess I just need to eat more fat since I really haven't been. But the good news is, I finally lost 3 lbs.!!! Will keep ya posted.

4beans4me
Mon, Dec-13-04, 09:29
WTG!! Keep it up!!

and Welcome! :wave: