PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

twins3904
Wed, Dec-08-04, 10:44
Hi I am new here to this site. I started atkins 10 days ago and have been doing pretty good. I ate 2 subway wraps in one day so I messed up that day but I am staying on induction another 2 weeks because of that.

My question is whats the "skinny" on diet/caffeine free sodas? I have been drinking them on my induction because I thought they were ok. HELP!

AND, I don't drink the correct amount of water, but I try, will that hurt me?

Thanks in advance!

Thea :help:
195/185/135

taming
Wed, Dec-08-04, 11:59
Drink the water; it helps. Some people give up the sodas, some do not. For some folks it makes a difference, less so (or not at all) for others.

Don't feel you have to "punish" yourself with another two weeks of induction for one not so great day. You can stay on induction for longer if you wish to, and many people do, but that slip doesn't make it a necessity.

jadefox26
Wed, Dec-08-04, 12:05
Hiya, the theory goes that the more you drink, the more weight you get rid of down the loo. You pee out fats in your urine, so the more the better.
However, I have problems with sodas unfortunately as do other people, but try it out, if you lose on them then that's fine.

ZoesMom
Wed, Dec-08-04, 15:15
Drink, drink, drink your water....I know it's hard at first, but you'll get accustomed to it soon, and 64 oz. will seem like nothing. It helps tremendously...at least for me it did. Like the other posters stated, some people can drink soda, no problem...others it stalls. I just didn't drink them just in case it affected my weight loss. Good luck...you're doing great so far!!

Mia-Chloe
Wed, Dec-08-04, 15:46
the thing about diet sodas is that the artificial sweetners have a tendency to raise your insulin, which makes it harder for you to lose weight. High insulin also causes sugar cravings. Some people don't have a problem with diet sodas and others do. You just have to watch and see what your own personal limit is.

taming
Wed, Dec-08-04, 15:58
As a group, artificial sweeteners are classed as "non-nutritive". Thus, they provide a sweet sensation to the tastebuds, without raising blood sugar levels or insulin, and are useful for weight-loss because they are calorie- and carbohydrate-free.

This is from the Tips and Tricks part of the board. See:
http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips006.html

VickySail
Thu, Dec-09-04, 10:27
Unfortunately, some of the published pros also think that the artificial sweeteners STILL release insulin, because the body is "tricked" into thinking there's real sugar there.

I generally avoid sodas, iced teas, et al., but that doesn't mean everyone has this issue.

There's also Atkins' issue with citric acid. He claims THAT is also a staller, and is found in most soda, diet included.

But then again, he hated caffeine, too, and I drink that.

The thyroid thing sounds like it may hamper efforts. But it's not impossible.