PDA

View Full Version : Help me please!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

surrealme
Mon, Dec-06-04, 09:08
I've had a really rough week. I'm not going to waste your time whining but my family doctor had me quit Paxil last week so all week I have had nasty withdrawl symptoms plus a re-surge of the mood swings that got me on the drug on the first place!
My dilemma...I weighed myself this morning and I have gained weight. I have been a good girl staying around 20-25 carbs daily but I am starting to think this WOE won't work for me.
I started this not expecting miracles, I allready lost 48 lbs with Dr. Bernstein's clinic and doing 500-600cals/day I suspect has damaged my matabolism. I have been patient, this is week 6 and I know it doesn't happen for everyone but how can I be in ketosis and not only not lose but gain? TOM is soming quite soon too so mamybe I shouldn't make a decision right now given my mind set but I'm thinking of going back on Bernstein. Sure I was starving and sick feeling all the time but I never gained weight! I weighed in at 165 today.
Comments and advice please...and please I have no time for fitday I have two children and two businesses to run but beleive me I have counted my carbs carefully.
thank you
me

Dewi
Mon, Dec-06-04, 09:31
Hang in there, there is a good chance your not losing weight but losing inches. Make sure you are getting enough water in so that your body doesnt retain water. Not sure what your menus are but try and keep it clean and if you eat Franken foods sway away from them and see if you weight changes.

Good Luck,
Dewi

MyJourney
Mon, Dec-06-04, 10:08
I always went up and down. Fluctuated as much as 5 lbs on any given day. At first it used to bug me, but then I got over it. Also, I lost inches more than weight. Often my weight wouldnt move in weeks and sometimes months but I was always losing inches. TOM will also cause you to retain water and gain some. Give it time, you can also examine your diet. I dont know if you use fitday or not, but look for things like SAs etc that can be throwing you off.

Good luck!

bonesigh
Mon, Dec-06-04, 10:18
Hello!

"Starving and sick feeling all the time" is no way to live, regardless of what the scale says! It is very possible that your metabolism has slowed down greatly, due to starvation. I'd give LC'ing some more time. I know that my weight can fluctuate by a number of pounds on a daily basis.

Do you exercise? I'd highly recommend exercise. It may well aid in getting your metabolism working at a proper level once again. Starving yourself will make your body break down not only fat, but muscle for fuel. Muscle keeps your metabolism reved up. Less muscle means a slower metabolism.

Good luck!

-Mike

EXLarge
Mon, Dec-06-04, 10:30
Surrealme,

I feel your pain, I'm in the exact same boat. I've been keeping my carbs around the 20 mark for the past 4 weeks, I even added exercise to the mix. Originally just doing strength training to build the muscles for increased metabolism burn, then last week added cardio. I had been at a stall for 3+ weeks not moving an ounce. Then friday last week I jumped on the scale, pumped that I was going to finally see the change and there it was, I move the scale to three other locations on the floor to see if there was something wrong with it. I had gained 4 lbs overnight. I don't know what did it, I'm just perplexed, pissed off, frustrated, and any other adjectives you can use in mixed company.

Luckily TOM is gender bias and doesn't visit me, so I can't use that as an explanation. I just wanted to let you know, that your not alone on this sinking ship, but we've gotta keep bailing. So many people have used the WOL and been successful, and it makes sense. Otherwise you wouldn't be doing it. Keep up the hard work and pray for the wosh fairy.

Good luck and keep it going. There are others right there with you to help out.

budha
Mon, Dec-06-04, 13:57
A'right, now here's the explanation that I've heard before...Your body is melting fat and at the same time trying to stay on the same weight, 'cause your body is "afraid" of losing weight (it's like a self defence mechanism). How do you loose fat and keep the weight (or gain - as in your case AND MINE :D )? Well, your "dead" fat cells are replaced by water. That's why you don't lose or "gain", as in your case...and mine :D Once, your body "realize" that you're not starving yourself and that you don't need that "additional water" and "dead" fat cells, you'll loose some pounds. For me, it keeps going up and down and up and down. I was 234lb few days ago. Today I was 237. I didn't touch sugar, flour, any carbs, nothing! I ate tuna and chicken and spinach and lettuce and stuff like that and had some water, not too much, though. And we're all pissed but, I'm sure in next few days I'll be 233, not 237 and not even 234. I'll be lighter and better looking. And I'll be proud that I didn't give up! And you'll feel the same in just a few days, trust me! Just say "f~ck you" to your scale and grab some chicken breast and cauliflower instead of cookies (mmmmmmmmm, cookies :p ), and be proud of your will power!

surrealme
Mon, Dec-06-04, 23:11
Thank you everyone for the 'chins-up!'
I'll keep you posted.
me.

nikkil
Tue, Dec-07-04, 01:16
Not only is TOM giving you a hormonal shake up but you've just come off a chemical altering medication! That's just GOT to have an impact on your body, right? I hope he has you going off them gradually and not all at once/cold turkey! That's definitely NOT a good thing.

I'd say to just stick to it and try to be a bit more patient (huh, like I should be giving this advice, Miss Impatience personified :p ). Know that you're body is healing from the beating it got from Bernstein, the paxil and TOM just around the corner....

Nicole