PDA

View Full Version : how long..

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sunkist786
Wed, Dec-01-04, 13:39
how long did it take for everyone to notice their first drop in pounds, and when did you first notice your change in clothing size.. just a fun little question, thanks :) :sunny:

LukeA
Wed, Dec-01-04, 13:58
I could tell i was slimming down after about 8 or 9 pounds especially from a side view. Took about 20 to go down in clothing sizes. :)

lady_tasha
Wed, Dec-01-04, 15:03
Its only been about 48 hours since i ahve started the LC thing but I've noticed that my energy level has gone up. At this point in the day I'd be dragging my feet but I actually have energy to burn and Iactually want to go and do something physical. Something very rare for the old me. My three year old thinks its great that Mommy can play outside now. Hang in there. Stick with it and you'll notice changes real soon.

sanfar
Wed, Dec-01-04, 15:26
mmm, I re-started induction 9 days ago and lost 6 pounds by day 5! Scales have not moved since. I haven't got around to measuring yet, but I have noticed my clothes are fitting better. Scales gave me evil thoughts on day 7, but I really want to stay with it this time and I can't wait to be able to go down a size!

PlaneCrazy
Wed, Dec-01-04, 15:40
It differs for everyone. I started last February and the first two weeks were absolutely crazy for me. I felt like crap, then felt like I was drinking 16 double cappaccinos in a row (while having no caffine) for a couple of days... But it eventually all smoothed out and I think I noticed my first results by my third week. It went quickly after that for a while, then I started the normal cycle of losing, stalling, loosing with longer stalls and shorter loosing as I get closer to my goal weight.

You'll also get wierdnesses like the scale won't move but your pants will all at once get baggier. Then wait a week and the scale will drop but you won't lose any inches. Go figure.

I still wear t-shirts from the "old days" and they're so wide on me that I call them my "flying squirrel" shirts. (I can pull them out to the side and make 'wings' for flying from tree to tree) I also still have some pants like that as well. :)

Good luck everyone!!

Plane crazy

astrocreep
Wed, Dec-01-04, 18:45
I noticed my weightloss when I could button one of my favorite shirts and not see the buttons holding on for dear life, LOL.

ZoesMom
Wed, Dec-01-04, 22:59
I'm just now beginning to see a little bit of a difference in my clothing and the way it fits...especially in my upper rib area, below my breasts. Now, I have an awful lot of weight to lose...so 14 or 15 lbs. lost on me won't show much as opposed to someone of your size. But, the best part, regardless of noticing changes in my outer appearance, is how great I feel.

jamian
Wed, Dec-01-04, 23:05
I first started Atkins in March 2003 at a weight on the high side of normal, not overweight. I actually only did it to support my then BF who was overweight, and I figured if I lost a few lbs, great. Well I was actually shocked to see on the scale that I had lost 6 lb my first week of induction 'cause I really couldn't see it or feel different in the way my clothes fit. It was two weeks and about 10lb before my jeans started sagging. I went from a size 12 pants to a size 6 in about 3 months, about one size every 5 lb after the first few. I think the first week I lost from my upper body and stomach so I didn't notice so much, as my lower body was my trouble area.

BTW the BF lost 70lb on Atkins and has kept it all off; I lost 20 but gained it back slowly due to carb creep. Working on getting back into my size 6 in a couple months.

DiannaH
Thu, Dec-02-04, 13:10
A low-carbing friend of mine said this...

No-one notices the first 10 pounds,
You notice the next 10 pounds,
EVERYONE notices the next 10 pounds!

That really seems to be true. I have lost 50 pounds since DD was born in July, and everyone is really starting to notice. It is such a motivation!

Steve175
Thu, Dec-02-04, 13:19
A low-carbing friend of mine said this...

No-one notices the first 10 pounds,
You notice the next 10 pounds,
EVERYONE notices the next 10 pounds!

That really seems to be true. I have lost 50 pounds since DD was born in July, and everyone is really starting to notice. It is such a motivation!

That's about how it went for me, too. And now, at 58 pounds down since April, when I run into people that I haven't seen for at least a few months, I'm starting to get the "Wow, look at you!" gasps :eek: . All I can say is "You ain't seen nothin' yet!"

AFwife
Thu, Dec-02-04, 13:22
SometimesI look at myself and feel like there is no change. Other days I look at myself and go, wow I look good.

The mind plays tricks on us I tell ya.

But I did notice a change at around 20 pounds, especially when the clothing started to get bigger.

LOWCARBR
Thu, Dec-02-04, 13:23
i belive after the first week of induction i could see a difference - a little in my face a little in the clothes. but the changes just sneak up on you. in a few short weeks you try on a shirt or pants and wonder how did i fit into these this quickly lol. i try to work out a lot-it's my new hobby and stick to the plan!!

ZoesMom
Thu, Dec-02-04, 15:28
I'm pretty hell bent on seeing results...I'm an every day weigher, and I bought a jacket and a pair of pants that fit me perfectly (not loose) right when I started LCing to see the progress. I'm an immediate results kinda person, to a fault. I know I need to chill out and watch the changes happen, and just be grateful that I'm finally losing weight at all....but I must say, this WOE hasn't let me down yet! The jacket gets a little bit looser every time I put it on! YAAAAAAY!!

PlaneCrazy
Thu, Dec-02-04, 15:56
I'm pretty hell bent on seeing results...I'm an every day weigher, and I bought a jacket and a pair of pants that fit me perfectly (not loose) right when I started LCing to see the progress. I'm an immediate results kinda person, to a fault. I know I need to chill out and watch the changes happen, and just be grateful that I'm finally losing weight at all....but I must say, this WOE hasn't let me down yet! The jacket gets a little bit looser every time I put it on! YAAAAAAY!!

Fantastic! Just weight (pun intended) until you have your first stall, and it will seem like you'll never get out of it. Most people try tweaking this, or stopping that, and what I've found is that if I just keep going as I was going, my body will eventually catch up and I'll get a woosh and lose again. Consistancy is important and it helps me keep on track. If I start messing with what's working and comfortable for me, that's when I leave myself open for trouble. Slow and steady is winning the race for me. It gets harder when results stop coming, but then patience is what is needed and you'll see results again soon.

Plane Crazy

Sapphire2
Thu, Dec-02-04, 19:05
After three weeks i noticed a big difference. I was able to fit into (comfortably) and button a pair of jeans that I always had to use the "rubberband trick" to hold them up. In fact I was able have dinner wearing those jeans without having to unbutton after the meal, because they were too tight, as was ALWAYS the case (my pants being too tight after eating in them) The rubberband trick is used when your stomach is so big you cannot bring the button on your pants with 4 inches of the hole so you thread a rubber band through the hole and hook it over the button to hold you pant up :agree: Did I mention how my stomach would protude out the zipper opening of the pants/jeans when I used the rubberband trick :lol:.

patsangel
Thu, Dec-02-04, 19:19
I saw a difference after 6lbs. When I was eating lots of carbs I had a big, swollen stomach, I looked 4 months pregnant... And in one week I lost all the water etc. that I was retaining from eating carbs, and finally my pants were fitting well and not cutting into my tummy. My BF noticed one morning in the bathroom - 'Hey, your stomach is flat!' :) Just having well-fitting pants rather than pants that cut into me made me feel a whole lot better. Can't wait to drop a size though.
- Anne

nowonder
Thu, Dec-02-04, 20:14
I got my first complement at around 7lbs down... From an uncle who was also losing weight so I think he was fishing for a complement. :) But still, it was enough to get me through the rest of induction. My next complement didn't come till the 25lb mark, but it was winter with all the bulky clothes.

I didn't notice things fitting better until 15-20lbs. And to be honest, I still can't see it when I look in the mirror... It's just such a gradual change. Photos are a much better indicator.

--nw