PDA

View Full Version : Low Carb US. Tour 2005 :)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Larz
Mon, Nov-29-04, 22:21
Hi gang!

I am currently on the low-carb diet to lose enough weight for my band's US Tour starting February 20th. I have been on it for 3 weeks and have not cheated once and have gone from 305 to 282lbs. This place is a godsend of support and I hope that I can loose at least a total of 75lbs by Feb. 20th and then another 35lbs while we are on the road. Do you all think this is too

black57
Mon, Nov-29-04, 22:58
Way, cool. I am a musician. I am a flutist. I play classical, jazz, rock etc. Is your band coming to Southern CA by chance?

Men have been very successful on low carb. It has been nicknamed the man's diet. Make sure that you make healthy choices. What instrument do you play, Larz? I assume that your band is a rock band. Is it heavy metal? I will be featured in a faculty recital where it is imperative that all forms of music is showcased. I am doing Jethro Tull's "Bouree" and Jimi Hendrix's " Manic Depression" . I hope to be ten lbs thinner by then.

I am going to visit your site.

Jazzylyn
Tue, Nov-30-04, 04:42
A big welcome to the forums! You have come to the right place for motivation, support and friendship. I'm sure you can do this on the road as well. Very nice having a musician on board with us. Best of luck to you and Congrats on your excellent success so far! :wave:

Jazz

4beans4me
Tue, Nov-30-04, 10:06
Welcome and best of luck! :wave:

Petrina31
Tue, Nov-30-04, 11:38
Welcome Larz!

You've definitely come to the right place for support, advice and encouragement. I think your set goal is possible. You should start a journal - they're a great place to vent, make new friends and track your eating/moods etc.

bob2112
Tue, Nov-30-04, 11:44
Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your loss so far.

Larz
Tue, Nov-30-04, 17:16
Way, cool. I am a musician. I am a flutist. I play classical, jazz, rock etc. Is your band coming to Southern CA by chance?

Men have been very successful on low carb. It has been nicknamed the man's diet. Make sure that you make healthy choices. What instrument do you play, Larz? I assume that your band is a rock band. Is it heavy metal? I will be featured in a faculty recital where it is imperative that all forms of music is showcased. I am doing Jethro Tull's "Bouree" and Jimi Hendrix's " Manic Depression" . I hope to be ten lbs thinner by then.

I am going to visit your site.

I am actually in a Modern-Rock/Pop band called pointZEROone. I play bass in this band but I have been playing guitar all my life. ;) I wonder why they call it the man's diet? lol! I bet it's because we can eat alot of meat? lol! :)

I am a HUGE classical fan because my guitar hero Randy Rhoads (http://www.randyrhoads.tk) was a classical guitarist by nature but played Hard Rock. I mess around alot with Classical but I am not that good at it. I love it when Rock meets classical! :) Good luck with that. Can you record it? It would be cool to hear it. :) Good luck with your weight loss goals too.

PS. My bands website is currently under construction, we may be coming to So. Cal. in the fall...I'll keep ya posted. ;)

Do you guys think that I will be able to get the exercise while living on a bus?

Any tips?

Also how many of you work out on a regualr basis?

angeljandy
Tue, Nov-30-04, 18:24
Welcome and good luck with your program! Here's wishing you much success!

black57
Tue, Nov-30-04, 21:32
I am actually in a Modern-Rock/Pop band called pointZEROone. I play bass in this band but I have been playing guitar all my life. ;) I wonder why they call it the man's diet? lol! I bet it's because we can eat alot of meat? lol! :)

I am a HUGE classical fan because my guitar hero Randy Rhoads (http://www.randyrhoads.tk) was a classical guitarist by nature but played Hard Rock. I mess around alot with Classical but I am not that good at it. I love it when Rock meets classical! :) Good luck with that. Can you record it? It would be cool to hear it. :) Good luck with your weight loss goals too.

PS. My bands website is currently under construction, we may be coming to So. Cal. in the fall...I'll keep ya posted. ;)

Do you guys think that I will be able to get the exercise while living on a bus?

Any tips?

Also how many of you work out on a regualr basis?

Larz, I will try and make a demo. The guy that was gonna make a cd for me moved to Colorado. Speaking of Rock meeting Classical, have you heard the CD of the San Francisco Symphony with Metallica called "S & M " ;) ? They did a big concert in in the Bay area in the late 1999 or 2000. Michael Kamen, composer of the music in Mr Holland's Opus,arranged the music. The music was classic Metallica tunes with a classical flair. In the performance the legit musicians wore their black tuxes and gowns while metallica wore their jeans. This was a great experience for the symphony to play before a crowd of screaming fans. I love this CD. My son misplaced the set but there is an eerie bassoon solo that echoes in my head.

I workout at a place called Curves. It is for women but I do believe that Bally's is beginning to incorporate a similar concept that is co-ed. I think that that sort of think would be ideal for a touring musician because this is a type of circuit that takes about 30 - 40 minutes to complete.

Yeah, this is the man's diet because of the meat ;) AND men tend to lose faster than women.

Welcome to this site sir,
Black57

black57
Wed, Dec-01-04, 22:46
I mainly want to bump this thread. Larz, did you check out any of the recipes on the recipe forum. One of our members has published a low carb cook book and is a professional chef named Karen.

I also wanted to mention that the Kronos Quartet is a string quartet who performs and records music composed in the 20th & 21st centuries. Can you picture a string quartet doing Purple Haze? Jimi Hendrix's tune is one of many pieces that they have done. They do classical, rock and jazz that was written in the 20th century and beyond.

Larz
Thu, Dec-02-04, 00:26
I mainly want to bump this thread. Larz, did you check out any of the recipes on the recipe forum. One of our members has published a low carb cook book and is a professional chef named Karen.

I also wanted to mention that the Kronos Quartet is a string quartet who performs and records music composed in the 20th & 21st centuries. Can you picture a string quartet doing Purple Haze? Jimi Hendrix's tune is one of many pieces that they have done. They do classical, rock and jazz that was written in the 20th century and beyond.

I need to check out that thread. I love to cook and well....EAT! :) I feel like I have stalled already so I need to figure our WHY. I think I need a little better education in the LC world. I am going to go to Books-a-million and get a book on LC. Any recommendations?

I would love to hear a string quartet to Purple Haze! :) I love weird stuff like that! It's soooo not normal, it's what makes it interesting! :)

Larz
Thu, Dec-02-04, 00:27
Welcome and good luck with your program! Here's wishing you much success!

Thank you! :)

ThisIsIt
Thu, Dec-02-04, 07:16
Welcome to the forums! Your progress so far is amazing.... keep up the good work!

skippie
Thu, Dec-02-04, 07:20
Welcome to the forum and you are well on your way to your goal.

Crone
Thu, Dec-02-04, 07:41
Welcome and congrats on your weight loss!

I work out on a treadmill almost daily, and do crunches. Should get into the groove of doing my Pilates tape, but haven't done that on a regular basis yet.

I would think on the road you could do Pilates on the bus if there's room or in a hotel room. You could also walk laps around a parking lot when the bus is parked. In the summer months swimming in hotel pools. Hand weights! You have lots of possibilities!

Good luck!

black57
Thu, Dec-02-04, 07:57
I need to check out that thread. I love to cook and well....EAT! :) I feel like I have stalled already so I need to figure our WHY. I think I need a little better education in the LC world. I am going to go to Books-a-million and get a book on LC. Any recommendations?

I would love to hear a string quartet to Purple Haze! :) I love weird stuff like that! It's soooo not normal, it's what makes it interesting! :)

:wave:
I saw them perform Purple Haze on PBS. I had know idea who they were.A few years later, they were a topic of discussion in my music composition class. I asked the prof if this group ever recorded Purple Haze. He didn't know- so I looked for them on the internet and there they were.

http://www.kronosquartet.org If you are under thirty they are looking for kids your age to compose new music for them. I see they did a recording with the Dave Matthews Band.

Before I began my low carb lifestyle I read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution I have also read Protein Power by Drs. Michael and Mary Eades. I use both books but I consider myself on Atkins. Both concept are very similar
but I find the Eades are more informative on a medical level. You might also consider South Beach, but I have not read the book.

Larz
Sat, Dec-04-04, 02:55
Picking up that book tomorrow. Guess what? I was chewing sugarless gum thinking I was OK.... 2 FRIGGIN CARBS in each stick!!!!!!! I was chewing like at least 10 pieces a day! :bash:GAH!!!! :bash:Well now I use wrigley flashstrips and the stall should stop and the fat burn baby burn!!!!!

bluesfan88
Sat, Dec-04-04, 08:45
Hello and welcome . you are going to do great . good luck!

jem2
Sat, Dec-04-04, 09:34
Larz, i am basically a GO-diet WOL. i hear many people who have lc stalled start to lose again. oh, i almost forgot the book has been updated and renamed Four Corners Diet.

PhatPhrogg
Sat, Dec-04-04, 10:18
:wave: I'm brand new, and stumbled across these posts, I just want to say that though I'm not currently playing with anyone or involved in any projects, one of the many reasons I need to get healthy again and no longer be obese is so that I can get back into music. That's not to say it would be impossible to play, perform and create, but I just know that it would up my confidence and put me in a better state of mind to go out and do those things one needs to do to play and perform music. I did play professionally for about fifteen years, and after a divorce I slipped into some pretty intense depression. Heavy drinking and drug abuse soon followed, and after surviving all of that I was challenged with massive weight gain. If I can just make this hurdle I know I can gain my life back. I'm glad I found y'all, and I wish everyone the best of luck. -As far as excercise while your on tour - I imagine you will be doing alot of hotel stays. I found that many hotels had pools and excercise rooms. I am currently too fat to even do a situp if I tried, but when I did tour those hotel beds were perfect for holding my feet down for situps, the pools were great for swimming laps, and once in awhile you might find one with a weight room and a sauna! You might keep your eyes open for that while your on the road, you can get a lot of good excercise that way. If your hotel doesn't have it you can always just take a walk. That's my two cents. Good luck to everyone!! :D

black57
Sat, Dec-04-04, 16:58
Phatphrogg what instrument do you play? Walking is probably the most reliable exercise. Anyone have any holiday gigs? Playing music is good exercise.

MissScruff
Sun, Dec-05-04, 00:16
http://madmonkeygaming.com/uploads/hello-tag01b.gif