PDA

View Full Version : Kick the Caffeine?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jennao10
Mon, Nov-29-04, 20:45
I was debating on wether I should stop drinking caffienated coffee? What has everyone else done when starting induction?
I have tried to quit caffienated coffee before but had horrible withdrawls. I would not look forward to quiting cold turkey! :help:

LukeA
Mon, Nov-29-04, 20:57
Everybody reacts differently to caffiene, some find it stalls them, others it even seems to help them along because of its thermogenic properties. Its mostly up to you, and what works for your body. Though its probably best to cut your caffiene consumption down somewhat, though it doesnt mean it has to be completley cut out.

black57
Mon, Nov-29-04, 21:22
I have continued drinking hi test for the entire 2 years that I have been Atkinsing.

astrocreep
Mon, Nov-29-04, 21:54
Jenna have you thought about making your coffee 1/2 reg and 1/2 decaff. That would prob help eliminate withdrawls while still enjoying a caffeine reduced cup of coffee =)

kiwigal
Tue, Nov-30-04, 00:07
I have always kept up my tea and coffee drinking with no probs!

MammaC
Tue, Nov-30-04, 07:03
I have cut out caffeine altogether, but my daughter who is also doing Atkins still drinks diet pop a few times a week with caffeine and we have both done well. I do know that caffeine can effect your blood sugar levels, but everyone is different. If you are losing weight and feel well that is what is important. If you want to be caffeine free, you could either tough out the withdrawals for a few days, or cut back gradually to lessen the effects. I personally feel much better without the caffeine. I sometimes had palpitations after drinking caffeine, and that was enough to let me know that it was not good for me. Dr. Atkins recommended stopping caffeine, so I guess if you really want to do Atkins by the book, you would have to give it up. Whatever you decide, I hope you do well. Looks like you are off to a good start already with 4 pounds gone.

MaryToU
Tue, Nov-30-04, 07:08
I stopped drinking coffee all together. I have done this once before years ago so I know what to expect. Funny thing is I thought I was going through caffeine withdrawals, never heard of carb withdrawals before. :lol:

The advantages of giving up coffee, I no longer need it to wake up anymore. I get out of bed full of energy, where as before I use to drink 3 big cups to wake up and get moving.

mammac-5
Tue, Nov-30-04, 07:53
Although I didn't intend to give up my beloved coffee, I've now done without coffee for the past 3 weeks.

The first couple of months I was LC-ing I was able to enjoy my coffee just fine...but then I suddenly started to have problems with palpitations, nervousness, etc. I've been a dedicated coffee lover for YEARS without these problems, so I can only assume it has something to do with my lessened size.

So I started drinking tea instead. I used to think of tea as a wussy drink, but I really enjoy it now. And I had no caffeine withdrawal symptoms since tea still has caffeine, just not so much.

Neither coffee nor tea seem to affect my weight loss.

Jennao10
Tue, Nov-30-04, 11:09
I think I will move toward the 1/2 caf for now. Without carbs in my body the caffeine brings my blood sugar down too low.
I think my problem is it is a security blanket for me right now. This is my first honest full blown attempt at LC'ing. I have always gone with LF to lose weight but could never get past losing 30lbs and had to exercise like a fiend to get that far. I love to exercise but I don't have that kind of time in my life.
Thanks for sharing your experiences! It really helps keep me going!
Jenna

LOWCARBR
Tue, Nov-30-04, 14:06
I Have Stopped Drinking Reg Coffee For The Decaf Stuff..tastes Good To Me With A Splash Of Cinnamon And Cream Or Half And Half. It's My Morning Treat On The Way To Work. Diet Pepsis Are Still On The Menus But Only A Couple Or Less A Day. Still Drink My Ration Of Water!!

Frogbreath
Tue, Nov-30-04, 14:38
I've been gradually switching from Diet Cokes all day to Green Tea which has a little less caffeine. I feel like the cokes have a few extra nasty ingredients - phosphoric acid for one. I'm postmenopausal now and I don't think it's doing my bones any good.

I don't think I could handle life without something other than water to drink - and a little caffeine.

Any of you hard core caffeine drinkers have trouble sleeping?

astrocreep
Wed, Dec-01-04, 00:24
Hey Jenna, I don't really see a prob with the coffee, unless your body reacts negatively to the caffeine. For me I MUST have soda. But I've noticed over the past few weeks i've been able to live without drinking a 2L per day. And I don't really have soda withdrawals like I used to before when I drank it in big quantities. If I didn't have soda in a day or two I'd litterally get really depressed and irritable until my first gulp or two of soda and then everything would be ok. Now THAT'S an addiction, LoL.

astrocreep
Wed, Dec-01-04, 00:25
FrogBreath, when I used to drink huge quantities of reg soda I wouldn't have any probs sleeping at all.

Frogbreath
Thu, Dec-02-04, 07:17
My inability to sleep may have been a lack of progesterone because it's much better now - with or without caffeine.