PDA

View Full Version : Blood test results

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

msk
Mon, Nov-29-04, 18:24
I just got the results of my hemoglobin a1c and it is a little over 6, which is the high on the normal range.

My doctor now says to cut back on my carbs to 15 grams 5 times a day. Does anyone have any comments? I am hypothyroid, cfs, fm, low cortisol, and extremely fatigued.

Thanks

quietone
Tue, Nov-30-04, 11:36
So you're diabetic?

15 grams of carbs 5 times a day sounds good. Even though it isn't what some of the low carb diets recommend and there is a disagreement about how low you have to go to get into ketosis, it seems like it will keep you blood sugar stable. But i don't understand why he didn't give you a carb to protein ratio also.

I would suggest going to a dietician if you are diabetic. If you're not diabetic then what is this about?

msk
Tue, Nov-30-04, 12:06
This is the first test that anything has showm up on. I had a 3 hour fasting glucose tolerence test done with insulin levels and the lab screwed up the processing. They did the insulin draws but did not process them. When I talked to the nurse she said they would do it again for free but I told her it was so hard I was not willing to do it agian right now.

I am on SPII and I know that I need to eat protein and what amount. So you think the 15 grams of carb is a good way to go. I did it the morning and am not hungry although it is time to eat again.

Thanks for the post.

quietone
Tue, Nov-30-04, 12:19
I can only say if it works for you go for it.

It wouldn't work for me. I wouldn't lose weight, and I would be hungry as crap! I have to keep my carbs below 30 to lose and below 50 to stay in ketosis and not be hungry. Plus I have trouble remembering to eat that often. :lol: I never have had trouble with eating a lot of times during the day, just eating a lot at one time. :lol:

I did read though that the results can change lab to lab for your test. That depending on how they do the tests at your lab, the number may be normal. For the A1C test I mean. I have also read that if a blood test comes up positive, then another one should be done.

SO, how's the weather there in Arizona? My DH talks all the time about us moving there.