PDA

View Full Version : Oct. - Let's Talk About Vegetables

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sharon
Mon, Oct-01-01, 05:18
During October let's make a great collection of our favourite recipes using "Vegetables".

Remember some cooks aren't as experienced as others so instructions are important as well as nutritional breakdown, i.e. carb count, fibre.

Recipes that are your original creation will be posted in the "Members (Readers) Low Carb Recipe Section.

Sharon
Wed, Oct-03-01, 05:12
Well, if you don't want to talk about Vegetables this month, what would be your choice?? I can't believe lowcarbers don't eat lots of vegetables lots of ways. Your recipes don't have to be extravagant, simple ideas are often really appreciated by busy cooks.

I'm working on a couple new things, but I haven't got them quite perfected...but hoped I would before the end of the month.

Let me know if you'd rather do a different topic as the month is still so very new.

Karen
Wed, Oct-03-01, 12:02
I think the lack of recipes indicates that we need vegetable recipes!

I'm going to cheat and post a recent recipe from my section that is perfect for the chilliy season.

Karen

Karen
Wed, Oct-03-01, 12:02
Daik-tato Cakes

These are pretty tasty on their own or with a dab of sour cream or mayonnaise. They are also good cold.

Daikon contains a lot of water and 1 1/2 pounds only makes 6 cakes. Because of it’s water content, it is important to get the grated daikon as dry as you can or the cakes will fall apart when you fry them.

Daik-tato Cakes
Makes 6 cakes

1 1/2 lbs. daikon radish
1 tsp. sea salt
1 egg
5 Tbsp. finely ground pork rinds
2 Tbsp. finely minced green onion
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. olive or vegetable oil

Peel, and grate the daikon into a bowl. Combine with the salt and let sit for 1/2 hour.

Squeeze the water out of the daikon with your hands. The more water you squeeze, the better the cakes will be. Mix the daikon with the egg, pork rinds, green onion and sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Let sit for 10 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350° F. Heat a heavy frying pan – a cast iron pan is ideal - that can go into the oven over medium-low heat. Swirl the oil around the pan. Fill a 1/4-cup dry measuring cup with some of the mixture, packing it slightly. Turn out into the frying pan. You should have a nicely shaped cake that stands a bit more than an inch high. Continue with the remaining mixture. Fry the cakes on one side without disturbing them too much until browned on the bottom, 5-6 minutes. Very carefully turn the cakes over and fry for 2-3 minutes longer. Place the whole pan in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.

Total Calories: 378
Fat: 22 grams = 200 cals = 58%
Carbs: 30 grams = 74 cals =22%
Fiber: 11 grams = 0 cals =0%
Protein: 17 grams = 69 cals =20%

Total Carbs per Cake: 6
Carbs – Fiber: 3.16

Sharon
Wed, Oct-03-01, 15:14
I agree with you Karen. Thanks for getting the ball rolling.

doreen T
Thu, Oct-04-01, 17:56
Well, I had to sit down and turn this into an official recipe, with amounts and nutrient counts etc. I normally just throw this together .. yes, I weigh the veggies, so I know the carb count du jour, but it usually varies from batch to batch. So, here goes nothin' .. :)

Roasted Eggplant, Red Peppers & Olives

1 medium eggplant, about 1 lb/ 500g, peeled & cubed
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into chunks
1 small onion (or ½ cup) sliced
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup Greek olives (kalamata)
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
½ tsp oregano
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt & pepper to taste
½ cup x.virgin olive oil
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

place vegetable chunks and olives in a large bowl.
sprinkle herbs, salt & pepper, balsamic vinegar and olive oil over all, and toss to combine. spread vegetables in a greased, shallow baking pan.
400°F for 35 to 40 minutes, stir halfway through.
serve with freshly grated romano or parmesan cheese if desired.
makes 6 servings
per recipe - calories: 1310
Fat: 128g
Carbs: 44g / Fiber: 16g / 28g ECC
Protein: 10g

per serving - calories: 218
Fat: 21.3g
Carbs: 7.3g / Fiber: 2.7g / 4.6g ECC
Protein: 1.7g

Enjoy! :)

Doreen

debbiedobson
Thu, Oct-04-01, 17:58
looks yummy doreen!
sharon, i haven't posted any because i just don't seem to have the time to put recipes thru fitday. my computer time is quite limited these days! sorry!

Sharon
Thu, Oct-04-01, 20:06
Hey Debbie....I'm the one who should be feeling guilty. I have a couple of new ideas I've been working on...and I just haven't gotten them totally together.

Hey, good things take time to happen!!

Like Doreen says, often we just put things together and we have no real recipe, so when we want to sit down and give qualities and nutritional values to others, that's more work than making the dish.

fiona
Fri, Oct-05-01, 00:54
I am too lazy to work out exact numbers and methods but I'll tell you what I did the other day when I came home after a long day feeling very tired and VERY COLD - was a very blustery day.

Didn't feel like meat or chicken and fish seemed to be too much trouble.

A peek in the fridge revealed bits of veg and stock from chicken. I cook the chicken these days, separate the stock and keep.

So into a saucepan went a bowl of chicken stock, cut up some cabbage and in it went; about half of an eggplant and an inch of zuchinni. Had some fresh cilantro so chopped that up, a little bit of salt, pepper, pinch of garam masala.

It was ready in minutes and I could settle down with a piping hot snack to soothe away the day's stresses. Filled me up completely.
Take care.

Karen
Fri, Oct-05-01, 12:59
Good hot or cold.

Spinach "Pancake"
Serves 2-4

4 Tbsp.unsalted butter
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 lb. spinach, washed and stemmed
3 eggs
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
sour cream for serving, if desired

Melt 3 Tbsp. of the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the green onions and parsley and cook until the onion wilts. Add the spinach and cook, stirring until it wilts. Turn the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes. The spinach will become quite soft and smooth.

Beat the eggs and stir in the spinach mixture. Season to taste. Melt the remaining butter in a 10-inch, preferably nonstick frying pan over medium high heat. Spread out the spinach mixture in the pan. Cover, turn the heat to medium low and cook for 10 minutes until set. Serve with sour cream if you like.

For the whole recipe, not including sour cream:

Total Calories: 708
Fat: 61 grams
Protein: 29 grams
Carbs: 20 grams
Fiber: 12 grams

Karen
Sat, Oct-06-01, 01:13
Zucchini, Sour Cream and Jack Cheese Bake
Serves 4

4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb. zucchini, trimmed and sliced 1/8-inch thick
1/2 cup grated Jack cheese – hot pepper is good!
1 egg
1/2 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp. dry white wine
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil or I tsp. dried

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter an 8 by 8-inch baking dish.

Melt 1 Tbsp. of the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent. Scrape into a bowl. Melt the remaining butter over medium high heat in the same frying pan. Add the zucchini and cook, stirring frequently until the moisture has evaporated and the zucchini is tender. Transfer to a food processor and pulse until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse to combine. Add the onions and pulse once. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes until lightly golden.

For the whole dish:

Total Calories: 1008
Fat: 93 grams
Protein: 27 grams
Carbs: 16 grams
Fiber: 3 grams

doreen T
Sat, Oct-06-01, 06:22
I invented these dips during the Group Study project, as a way to get more high-fiber green veggies in. :cool: ... Both are terrific with pork rinds, and for dipping chunks of cold roast meat.

Broccoli Dip

100g broccoli (approx 1 cup chopped)
1 large green onion
4 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp ground cumin
dash salt

- Steam the broccoli -- rinse under cold water, and drain well. Finely chop along with the onion in food processor or blender. Add mayo, dijon, herbs ... then purée to desired smoothness. Chill at least an hour for flavours to blend.

calories: 437
Fat: 45g
Carbs: 9.5g / Fiber: 4g / 5.5g ECC
Protein: 5g

Brussels Sprout Dip

100g brussels sprouts (approx. 6 med-size sprouts)
4 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp finely grated lemon peel
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp dried basil
salt & pepper to taste

- Steam the sprouts, rinse under cold water and drain well. Process sprouts until finely chopped. Add remaining ingredients and purée. Chill for an hour to let flavours develop.

calories: 436
Fat: 44g
Carbs: 10g / Fiber: 4g / 6g ECC
Protein: 4g

Enjoy!

Doreen

JeanetteJ
Tue, Oct-09-01, 20:25
what is Daikon radish. I didn't even see any raddishes at the grocery store I went to, only radish greens.

are green onions labeled as green onions. i tried to look for these throughout the summer for a spinach recipe my aunt gave me, but all I saw was white, yellow and red.

okay, that's just for starters. since this is the vegetable thread, i will confess- I eat romain lettuce, the occational spinach, and the occasional broccoli with cheese. That's it! my salads consist of lettuce and cheese. nothing else. of course, I am allergic to most vegetables no gourds or legumes for me, no celery, no carrots. but i DO need to branch out a bit. I shall vow to try some nice, simple vegetable recipes at some point, that is, if I can find the ingredients.

Jeanette

Karen
Tue, Oct-09-01, 20:52
Green onions are sometimes called scallions. Daikon radishes are available at oriental supermarkets. What about mushrooms? Romaine, boston or Bibb lettuce? Cauliflower, Swiss chard, kale and collard greens?

Where do you live? There may be some people in your area that could suggest stores you can shop at.

Karen

JeanetteJ
Wed, Oct-10-01, 17:59
Thanks Karen.

I live in a large city, so I can find almost anything, if I just know where to look. Will go to the large store where I found flaxmeal awhile back.

Will try some cauliflower. Must get dressing too, as I don't particulary like the taste. (i miss my green beans :()

I have never heard of boston or Bibb lettuce, Swiss chard, kale and collard greens. How embarassing. :q:

Jenanette

doreen T
Wed, Oct-10-01, 20:51
You need The Cook's Thesaurus. :read:
It'a a complete online encyclopedia of food. http://www.foodsubs.com/ ... everything is discussed -- meats, vegetables, creams and cheeses, smoked and deli meats, and there's a picture for everything. It even lists other names that a food may be known as.

A very handy guide.

Doreen

Ka3n
Wed, Oct-10-01, 20:55
JeanetteJ
Healthfood stores carry Diakon since it's popular with people eating macro...they're long, white and larger than the typical round red ones in the grocery store. If you are lucky enough to live in a city with either a Whole Foods or Wild Oats you'll find diakon and a lot of other interesting foods.

>>I have never heard of boston or Bibb lettuce, Swiss chard, kale and collard greens. << Oh my! ARe you in for a treat! :yum:

Good Luck!

Ka3n
Wed, Oct-10-01, 21:01
Chinese Snow Pea Pods

2 TBS vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped fine
1 clove garlic, chopped fine
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 cup sliced water chestnuts
1/2 pound snow pea pods
1 TBS Tamari soy sauce
1/4 cup chicken stock --just something else for you to do with you chicken stock fiona!

Heat oil in heavy skillet. Add onion, garlic, salt, and ater chestnuts. Saute until onion is golden. Add pea pods, soy sauce, and chicken stock. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover and cook for 5 more minutes.

I like mine crispier, so I only cook for 5 minutes total.

Total Carb grams 28.4
Carb Grams per serving 4.7

Ka3n
Wed, Oct-10-01, 21:11
I haven't made these yet, but plan to next week after I go shopping. I was wondering what to put on them...any suggestions? I was thinking maybe cook some bacon first and just brown them in the bacon fat instead of the butter.

Mock Potato Dumplings

1/2 head cauliflower (1 cup mashed)
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon parsley
1 teaspoon nutmeg
4 TBS soy flour
1 TBS salt
4 TBS butter

Boil cauliflower until soft, for about 25 minutes. Mash with fork or potato masher.

Add eggs, parmesan cheese, parsley, nutmeg, and soy flour. Shape into 12 walnut-sized balls.

Bring large pot of water to rolling boil. Add salt. Drop cauliflower balls into water. When they rise, remove with a slotted spoon.
Heat butter in skillet. Fry balls until brown on all sides. Drain on paper towel.

Total carb grams 18.1
Grams per serving 1.5
Total:
protein 44.2
Calories 802.8
Fat 76.28

JeanetteJ
Thu, Oct-11-01, 03:55
wow, dorreen!!
That site is AMAZING! THANIK YOU!
Just what I need- visual aids.
I looked at the picture of the green onion-to my huge surprise it was long and thin, i've been looking for something round!
jeanette

madpiano
Thu, Oct-11-01, 18:19
Thanks for starting this thread Karen ! I am really struggling with veggies. I keep eating Cabbage (white or green), Tomatoes (Ok, I know they are actually a fruit), Cucumbers and Lettuce. That's it. If I don't find anything else to eat soon, I think BF is going to move out of the bedroom :rolleyes:

I don't have any recipes at all at the moment, but I promise I will try and look some up. My Mom makes some really nice Cauliflower, I'll ring her and ask her for the ingredients.

Hmmm, thinking about it, she does something nice with Zucchinis as well

Greetings
Sabine

Karen
Thu, Oct-11-01, 18:35
I can't take any credit for it. Sharon - our fabulous Low-Carb Kitchen Moderator - starts a recipe thread every month on a different subject to collect recipes for the site. This month it was vegetable recipes.

There have been some great contributions so far, but of course there could be more. ;)

Karen

Ka3n
Sat, Oct-13-01, 07:09
Karen,
The spinich pancakes are so yummy! I traded the parsley for a couple of slices of Swiss Cheese that I melted on top.

About the parsley. I forgot to buy it-- :doah: along with a couple of other items...where was my mind? I was distracted with trying to deny the effects of the smells wafting out of the bakery...I think I'll stop shopping in the morning at Albertson's! lol

mucho gracias! :wave:

Karen
Sat, Oct-13-01, 09:50
Thanks Ka3n! That's what sharing recipes is all about - making a recipe your own.

I fooled around with a cabbage "pancake" last week that was kind of interesting. It ended up being more like hash browns. I will continue and probably post both versions. Stay tuned for Spinach and Parmesan Crackers!

Karen

tamarian
Sat, Oct-13-01, 10:15
Originally posted by Karen
Stay tuned for Spinach and Parmesan Crackers!

Folks, I had a sneak preview of those, they're great! :thup:

Wa'il

Karen_Mc
Sat, Oct-13-01, 19:08
This is a great thread. I don't do recipes really. I steam vegies or eat the raw in salad. Of course I stay in the induction phase and mostly eat salads.

thanks for the ideas!! :clap:

Ka3n
Sun, Oct-14-01, 01:32
That's what sharing recipes is all about - making a recipe your own.
Opps, I'm not at all creative in the kitchen so I've been sharing recipies from the new Atkins Cookbook thinking that someone who might not have the book would enjoy them. I hope that this is alright.
Katherine

Sharon
Sun, Oct-14-01, 07:14
All ideas a great... The recipes that are your original creations will be posted in the member's recipe section, but that doesn't mean you can't other share recipes with us that you've tried and enjoyed.

By posting our own recipes in the Low Carb Recipe section we have our very own Low Carb Cookbook, unique to the Lowcarb Forum.

I'm sure we all have something that's our very own creation, it's just a matter of putting it on paper and doing the nutritional breakdown, i.e. carb count, fibre, for the rest of the members. This is the time consuming part of the job!!

Keep those ideas coming!

Ka3n
Sun, Oct-14-01, 19:34
it's just a matter of putting it on paper and doing the nutritional breakdown, i.e. carb count, fibre, for the rest of the members. This is the time consuming part of the job!!

That's the part that I'm familar with! :daze: The Atkins' cookbook only lists carbs! boo hiss!

Sharon
Sun, Oct-14-01, 19:48
Don't let the carb count calculations discourage you..

Sharon
Sun, Oct-14-01, 19:56
Simple and quick to make. I always make a similar dressing when I make cabbage salad, except I add sour cream to this one.

Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad

2.5 cups broccoli florets
2 cups caulfilower florets
1 small red onion or sometimes I use a couple slices from a big one (chopped)
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 tsp. Splenda
1 1/2 tsp. Vinegar

Salt and Pepper

Dash of Worcestershire

Combine broccoli, cauliflower and onion. In a separate bowl, stir together mayo and sour cream. Add Splenda, vinegar, salt and pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over veggies and toss.

Serves 4

Carbs - 34.3
Fibre - 10.8

Total Carbs = 23.5

Ka3n
Sun, Oct-14-01, 20:12
Don't let the carb count calculations discourage you..
thanks, I needed to hear that! :wave:

I'm keeping a food journal and bought a great scale to keep up with the carbs. But, I am the anti-detail person! so trying to do more than that just seems to derail (discourage) me. I'm just keeping it as simple as possible now. I'm keeping very close track of carbs and foods. I bought a pretty little journal to carry with me (it has dolphins on the cover and words of encouragement on each page) I write everything I eat down in it. At home I have it next to my carb counter book and write in the carb count.

Sharon
Mon, Oct-15-01, 05:09
Eventually counting the carb ingredients exactly will come easier. We hope that all the recipes we post in the members recipe section has this information. Usually a member has figured out the carb count for themselves, so they have it available to post along with their recipe.

Karen
Mon, Oct-15-01, 10:15
But, I am the anti-detail person! so trying to do more than that just seems to derail (discourage) me.

As you go deeper and deeper into this WOL you will find that all the work you did in the beginning with learning calorie and fiber counts - and working this website! - has paid off. You will be much healthier, have lost weight and not have to manually count carbs because it will have become second nature to you. Look at the details as tools to building long term success! :D

Karen

madpiano
Mon, Oct-15-01, 10:57
Hi All

I finally got the recipe for Cauliflower from my mum. Now I need some help to make it LC ;)

Here it is in original:

1 Cauliflower head
Lemon juice (about 2tblsp)
1 sugar cube

Breadcrumbs
1 packet of ham
4 hard boiled Eggs
200g Cream
3 tsp Flour
Salt
Nutmeg
Paprika
White Pepper
Cheese
Butter

Cook the whole head of Cauliflower in the water (with lemon juice and sugar) for 10-20mins

Pour water away and divide Cauliflower into florets .
Take a ovenproof dish and butter it. Cover in Breadcrumbs.
Put the cauliflower pieces in the form.
Cut the ham in small squares and put on top (cover about 0.5-1cm high)
Cut the eggs in quarters and put on top.
Mix the cream with the flour and the spices (to taste) and pour over.
Cover with grated cheese. put pieces of butter on top.
Put into the pre-heated oven at 220C for 15-20 mins.

Tastes yummy, but I don't think it is LC (breadcrumbs and flour)

Here is what I worked out with Fitday ( total recipe)

Cal: 1812
Fat: 132
Carb: 65
Prot: 96

Per serving:

Cal: 453
Fat: 33
Carb: 16.25 :(
Prot: 24

I did count the sugar and lemonjuice as per recipe, but some of it will stay in the cooking water, so carb counts could be lower (I usually go by worst scenario). Still, this recipe needs tweaking. Any help appreciated ( preferably without pork rinds, as I hate the stuff)

Greetings
Sabine

Ka3n
Mon, Oct-15-01, 20:37
ohhhh, Thanks Karen. You're the best at saying the most encouraging things. :angel:

Of course you're right.

suzie
Sun, Oct-21-01, 02:24
Here is my wonderful winter soup:
Get out a big dutch oven or large, heavy pot. Cut up one onion, either diced or sliced. Cut a turnip into chunks, chop up a green bell pepper (and a yellow and red too, if you have them), if you eat carrots, peel and slice two or three, get a big bunch of greens, collard, kale, spinach, cabbage or chard, and chop it up, mince or press as many cloves of garlic as you like. Add all this to the pot.
Put in a can of whole tomatoes and 2-3 cups of chicken broth. Salt and pepper to taste. Throw in some Italian or Greek seasoning. The aroma will be fantastic! After it is cooked al dente, I begin to brown some ground beef in the skillet. Then I add it to the soup. Cook until vegetables are just tender. Or if you like it overcooked, that's fine too. Serve it piping hot with grated cheese all over the top. It is just so good you won't believe it.
I know the tomatoes are not for everyone, or the carrots. It can be made with just the broth, but the tomatoes are better. Any veggies you have on hand can be used. Bon Appetit! :wave:

Ka3n
Mon, Oct-22-01, 23:22
I wanted to get this in before Oct. is over. (where has this month gone?) Here's something I created before my LC days. It's good hot or cold.

16 oz bag of frozen spinach
1/2 cup cubed firm tofu
2 TBS toasted sesame seeds (toasting your own in a heavy skillet insures that nothing has been added--like sugar)
4 TBS Toasted Sesame Seed Oil
2 TBS. Tamari or Soy Sauce

Cube the tofu into pieces no larger than 1". Heat the oil in a large frying pan to med. high. Brown the tofu cubes on all sides. Add the bag of frozen spinach and Tamari (or soy) Sauce. Mix well. Cook until the spinach is hot. Add the sesame seeds as a garnish.

Makes 6 servings
3.5 carbs per serving
150 calories per serving

doreen T
Mon, Oct-22-01, 23:39
I love fennel, both raw and cooked. I found a recipe in an old diet cookbook .. so I jazzed it up, and added more fat of course! Since it's just me alone ... I only made half on one night, then the next time, I tried different ingredients for a different taste. I think I like #2 best. But they're both yummy. Also, I used Pecorino romano cheese, which is made from sheep's milk ... the extra zing really punches up the anise flavour of the fennel.Baked Fennel with Olives

1 fennel bulb
½ cup chicken broth
1 Tbsp olive oil or melted butter
12 Greek olives (kalamata)
freshly ground black pepper
2 oz romano cheese, grated (parmesan will do)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

trim and slice the fennel, you should have approx. 3 cups slices. Save some of the feathery green herb leaves for garnish.
leave the olives whole, or remove pits and chop if desired
toss the fennel, olives, oil or butter and broth together; put into a buttered 8-inch casserole and season with pepper.
spread grated romano cheese over top, bake uncovered in 350°F oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or till fennel is soft and cheese is bubbly.
sprinkle with reserved fennel herb
serves 2 or 3, so divide the nutrient counts accordingly

for the whole recipe
calories: 455
Carbs: 20g / Fiber: 8g / 12g ECC
Potein: 22g
Fat: 34g

Baked Fennel with Capers

1 fennel bulb
½ cup chicken broth
1 Tbsp olive oil or melted butter
1 tsp dijon mustard
2 Tbsp capers, drained and chopped
2 oz romano cheese, grated
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

trim and slice the fennel, you should have approx. 3 cups. Save some of the feathery green herb for garnish.
toss the fennel, capers, broth, oil or butter, and mustard together. Place in buttered 8" casserole dish.
top with grated romano cheese; bake at 350°F for 30 to 35 min. or till fennel is soft and cheese is bubbly.
garnish with reserved fennel greens
serves 2 or 3; divide the nutrient counts accordingly

for whole recipe
calories: 429
Carbs: 21g / Fiber: 8g / 13g ECC
Protein: 22g
Fat: 30g Enjoy! :)

Doreen

Sharon
Tue, Oct-23-01, 05:03
Great looking recipes ladies....I promise I'll get all your creations posted in the recipe section real soon.

I guess we'll have to put them with Salads. I know Wa'il is planning to add more categories, but for now, that's where you'll find them.

It's never too early to start thinking about your Holiday Menu ideas, which is going to be our topic for the month of November. I'll change the "sticky" around the first of the month and we can start adding those recipes.

Karen
Thu, Oct-25-01, 10:17
Scalloped vegetables are great when the weather turns cold. It goes well with all meats, but especially with pork, ham and sausages. Add a sprinkling of cheese if you like, for the last 30 minutes of baking.

To turn this into a meal, place sausages that you have browned on top of the cabbage for the last 30 minutes of cooking.

Scalloped Savoy Cabbage
Serves 6

1 lb. Savoy cabbage
1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
2 1/2 cups whipping cream
3/4 tsp. salt
pepper to taste

Remove the outer leaves of the cabbage and cut it into quarters. Core and thinly slice the cabbage. Place in a bowl and toss with the onions. Transfer to a 9-by 13-inch baking dish.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bring the cream, salt and pepper to a boil. Pour over the cabbage and cover tightly with tinfoil. Place on a baking pan that has also been covered with tinfoil. Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for 30 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and let the cabbage sit for 10 minutes before serving.

Total Calories: 2187
Fat: 221 grams
Carbs: 47 grams
Fiber: 14 grams
Protein: 21 grams

Ka3n
Tue, Oct-30-01, 13:43
Doreen,
I've never cooked fennel before, but I know that it's suppose to reduce appetite and helps to eliminate mucus and fat from the intestinal tract.

I'm going to give your recipes a try. :) I'd like to make both of them and freeze the uneaten portions since I don't like to cook everyday. Will this be ok if I freeze them?

When I go shopping tomorrow, how do I pick them? Are the big ones better tasting that the little ones or vica-versa? I noticed that some look more green and others more white...anything to that?

doreen T
Wed, Oct-31-01, 16:13
I've heard of those properties of fennel too, but I think the most benefit in this regard comes from fennel SEED. Nonetheless, the vegetable & green herb is quite yummy in its own right :)

At my grocery, fennel bulbs are fairly uniform in size, give or take ... one bulb, after trimming, will weigh a bit less than ½ lb or 250 grams and measures 3 cups of sliced vegetable. It cooks down quite a bit, so I find one bulb will yield 2, maybe 3 servings at the most. A whole bulb has 17g carbs/7g fiber = 10g ECC

I don't know if the recipes would freeze or not ... but I can tell you for sure that they keep just fine in the fridge for several days, tightly covered ... and reheat quickly.

Here's a pic, just in case someone out there in readerland is curious ;)

Ka3n
Wed, Oct-31-01, 21:25
Thanks Doreen for all of the information and the photo. :wave: I guess the ones we have at the co-op aren't as big or lovely as the one in the photo. Some of them are quite small. I'm going to go to the larger grocery store to buy it. I'm looking forward to my fennel treat. :)

Sharon
Thu, Nov-01-01, 06:09
Thanks everyone for submitting your great vegetable ideas. I have posted all your original creations in the Recipe Section.

OneEye
Sun, Nov-02-03, 22:23
Okay, I realize October is over, but I didn't join this forum until yesterday, so you'll all just have to cope ;-)

I have a favorite veggie recipe that I've made for pot-lucks in the past; it's from a cookbook, but I don't recall which one.

ZUCCHINI AND TOMATO PARMESAN

1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced ¼ inch thick
4 green onions, bias-sliced into 1-inch lengths
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
¼ cup snipped parsley
½ cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese

Preheat wok over high heat; add cooking oil. Stir-fry garlic in hot oil for 15 seconds. Add zucchini; stir-fry for 1½ minutes. Add green onions; stir-fry about 1½ minutes or till vegetables are crisp-tender.
Stir in tomatoes and parsley. Cover and cook about 1 minute or till heated through. Sprinkle with Parmesan or Romano cheese; toss gently. Serve immediately.

(That 'serve immediately' caution is a valid one; this recipe doesn't do quite as well the next day.)

Rachelle
Tue, Nov-04-03, 10:37
I love chinese style foods.. and oriental dishes...

I am not sure the carb count.. I am sorry..
But the foods are on the acceptable list...

I do a bunch of bok choy.. or baby bok choy
a few hand fulls of bean sprouts
a few green onions ( chopped.. only white parts)
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
about 2 T of sesame Seed oil
splash or two of rice wine vinagar
1 packet of splenda... (sometimes i use 2 :) )

I sautee all in a pan... i put in the bok choy first to get alittle bit tender before the rest of the ingredients.. maybe 2-3 minutes.
Then Sautee all remaining ingredients... really hits the spot for me when i am craving chinese... without the temptation for all the rice.

dreamer
Wed, Nov-12-03, 00:35
As usual you all out do yourselves with wonderful ideas and support, so glad I have found this site and you all. Happy LC day!