PDA

View Full Version : Coffee And Induction???

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Daisy-Duke
Sat, Nov-20-04, 11:18
Hey Ya'll,

My question is I am on day 10 of induction and I wondered how many of you stopped drinking any type of caffeine for induction and then started up when induction was over? Or maybe you started adding in Caffeine while in induction? Did you give it up at all?

Thanks,

:wave: Daisy

kirst
Sat, Nov-20-04, 11:45
I gave up instant coffee years ago after having the jitter and headaches (ofcourse I was a 10 cup a day person) So I only had to give up tea.

I switched to herbal tea and that worked, until I grew bored of it. Now into week 4 of induction I have the occaisional tea and have cream instead of milk. (Not very tasty though)

I know that giving up caffine totally is very hard, but I can't imagine an occaisional one would hurt.

Good luck on your journey!

Daisy-Duke
Sat, Nov-20-04, 16:51
Thanks Kirst. I guess I will wait until I am off of induction :)

kiwigal
Sun, Nov-21-04, 01:08
I have had normal coffee[black or with cream in] and tea with just a dribble of milk in, right from the beginning..with no problems.
You have to tweak and customize things to make the 'fit' right...if this is going to be a way of life instead of just a short term thing.
There is no way that i could EVER drink a good cup of tea with "cream "in..EEEWWW! :lol:

Daisy-Duke
Sun, Nov-21-04, 11:20
:) Thanks Kiwigal.

I think day 15 I am going to add in a little coffe in the morning just like the good ole days. I really like the wake-up it gives me, as I am a morning workout person. Needless to say during induction very few mornings did I make it tothe gym. I have just been very tired.

I already told my self that I will only add inthe coffee for the third week and stay in induction staying at or near 20 carbs a day. Then I will re assess what it did for that week :agree:

Thanks for you r insight, you were right when you said we have to look at this as long term. I just don't want to mess up the induction at this point. I am already dealing with TOM arriving soon so I have enough goin on :lol:

See ya,

Daisy :wave:

Paleoanth
Sun, Nov-21-04, 11:43
Never gave up coffee. Didn't seem to bother me.

goneriding
Sun, Nov-21-04, 20:54
Same here, never gave it up and has not bothered me either.

Daisy-Duke
Mon, Nov-22-04, 07:11
This is good to know, thanks for the info.....

Lobstergal
Mon, Nov-22-04, 07:16
The one thing I have given up was the diet pepsi with the caffeine in it. I now drink caffeine-free diet pepsi. It tastes just the same as the other so all is good. I still have 1-2 cups of tea a day and am on my 2nd day of Induction.

lettalove
Mon, Nov-22-04, 14:02
I drink half Def and half reg. I am trying to add more Def slowly one spoon a week. I really like getting up in the morning not needing my coffee to wake up but enjoying the flavor insteed. If you do this slowly you will never miss or know the difference.

janey626
Mon, Nov-22-04, 14:57
I gave up caffeine completely and I was drinking 4+cups a day plus up to 4 diet cokes after that....so let's just say the headaches and fatigue after quitting cold turkey were pretty bad. I have allowed myself an occaisional diet coke or iced tea now that I am out of induction but since giving them up I find I feel a whole lot better sticking to decaf and tons of water. But like others have said, you have to find with what works for you.
Good luck!

Daisy-Duke
Tue, Nov-23-04, 07:56
Well I looked at all of the results here and .... well.... It is day 13 of induction and this cup of coffee is wonderfully delicious. We will see how it goes for me and I will update and let you guys know.

Thanks for all of your ideas, thoughts and personal experiences on this issue :thup:

tommiec68
Tue, Nov-23-04, 14:48
I am a hard core coffee drinker! I dont care if its decafe, hot, cold, strong, week.....I dont drink it for a pick up or wake up. I just like the taste. I have found many conflicting answers to this question. I just dont see why you should need to give up coffee completly. I do agree you should go decaf. The same thing with ice tee. I drink decaf with spenda, whats wrong with that even during induction? I guess it just depends on the person.

Jazzylyn
Tue, Nov-23-04, 14:55
I never gave up my one- cup- in- the- morning -coffee. I use cream in it and it hasn't seemed to hurt me either. I put my foot down on giving up my one cuppa joe. I gave up ALL diet sodas though, cold turkey! :)

Jazz

Daisy-Duke
Tue, Nov-23-04, 19:51
Thanks this is all too good. I was feeling very guilty not waiting the full 14 days. It was so good and I did put a tablsp of cream and half a packet of splenda. So it took a chunk of my carbs, but well worth it :agree:

sanfar
Wed, Nov-24-04, 19:08
I haven't given up coffee and am on induction. I generally only have 2 cups a day so I have cut down; and I use cream & water (half and half) instead of the milk. I think the fat helps me to lose from past experience eating this way.

idontno
Thu, Nov-25-04, 05:57
i never stopped drinking coffee i like hot and black. no additives. no problems ( day 357)