PDA

View Full Version : LC for a Triathlon

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

goingfor60
Sun, Sep-30-01, 21:24
I joined a group of triathletes training for various triathlons throughout their season. I want to be a traithlete as well so I joined this group and am making an effort to do the work to complete my first sprint triathlon in March/April 2002.

All of these people are huge believers in CARBS, Carbs and carbs. My way of eating is just insane if I want to be an athlete, so they say.

Can I really train for this event and still be ok on 21g of carbs per day? My event consists of 400 yds swimming, 11 miles biking and 3.1 miles of running. I still have 30 pounds to lose so for now I think maybe that I'm alright.

Any advice?

Shannon

lisaf
Mon, Oct-01-01, 07:09
I have exactly the same question. I would like to run a 5k in the spring, but I find myself feeling very "weak" during my morning cardio (before eating) runs. I worry that I don't have enough glycogen to allow myself to build distance adequately. On the other hand, I know that endurance is a real issue for me, and maybe I'm just impatient.

Any comments?

Lisa

Atriana
Mon, Oct-01-01, 07:34
I have been told that it is just a matter of getting your body used to using a different metabolic pathway. I cycle and found in the beginning of this low carb journey, I had zero endurance. A cyclist on another board regularly goes 125 miles per week and had just completed a 350 mile tour of Zion Park in 5 days. She said to give it time and you adjust.