PDA

View Full Version : seem to be gaining weight in ketosis

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

trader1
Sun, Sep-30-01, 10:04
have been doing great for the first 6 weeks. Lost 30 lbs. Then stalled about 2 weeks ago. Did the fat fast for 2 days. Lost 5 lbs, then back to the induction phase & am creeping back up at 1-1.5 lbs per day!!!???? Have maintained a dark purple (40-80) with the keto-stix the entire time. What is wrong & how do I fix it?

trader1
Sun, Sep-30-01, 10:19
get used to being fat :D

r.mines
Sun, Sep-30-01, 10:36
Now now, Tim, you be nice to Tim! :D

First, are you drinking enough water? Dark purple on the sticks might indicate dehydration. You need to drink lots of water to keep the weight loss going.

Second, are you taking measurements? You might be gaining muscle, particularly if you're now eating more protein than you were previously to low-carb. Muscle is denser than fat, so the scale may be going up while inches are going down.

Third, you may be replacing water lost during the Fat Fast.

I'm sure others will chip in with hints and tips; in the meantime, hang in there and be patient! Low carbing DOES work, though not always as quickly as we want!

Rachel

trader1
Sun, Sep-30-01, 10:50
how much water is reccommended???? I thought that as long as the strips were purple it meant that I am burning fat. Is that true??

Karen
Sun, Sep-30-01, 12:10
It's true, but any reading is good. Purple may mean dehydration. Don't get into competitions with Ketosticks or scales. They're inanimate objects.

Rule of thumb for water: at least 64 oz. + 8 oz. for every 25 lbs. you want to lose. And that's plain water, not diet drinks, coffee ot tea.

Fat fast causes your body to expel water. When you return to regular LC - I don't know what you're eating so it is hard to comment - whatever you're eating may be causing water retention.

Karen

europoz
Sun, Sep-30-01, 13:48

twirt
Mon, Oct-01-01, 13:05
Boy - if only the whoosh fairy would visit me.....

orsolag
Sat, Oct-06-01, 10:18
:wave: what is the fat fast anyway? does anyone know if I can use pam on induction? Sorry got to go bathroom--THAT WATER! :eek:

trader1
Sat, Oct-06-01, 16:33
THE FAT FAST IS A TECNIQUE DISCUSSED IN ATKINS DIET BOOK, THAT BASICALLY SAYS THAT IF YOU HIT A STALL OR HAVING TROUBLE GOING INTO KETOSIS ON THE INDUCTION PHASE YOU MAY OPT TO RESTRICT YOUR DAILY INTAKE TO 1000 CALORIES OF ANY FOOD THAT IS 80-90% FAT; IE CREAM CHEESE, BUTTER, MACADAMIA NUTS. i TRIED IT & IT WORKED WONDERS. LOST 7-8LBS IN 3 DAYS, BUT i DIDN'T DRINK ENOUGH WATER SO i GAINED IT BACK IN WATER WEIGHT & LOST AGAIN ONCE i STARTED DRINKING 2 LITERES OR MORE A DAY. EXAMPLE I HEAPING TABLESPOON OF CREAM CHEESE FIRST THING IN THE MORINIG, AND ANOTHER 4 MORE TIMES THROUGHOUT THE DAY. THERE IS NO HUNGER AMAZINGLY ENOUGH & IT KEEPS MY METABOLISM RUNNING ALL DAY PROCESSING FAT. AMAZING!!!! KETONE STRIPS WERE DARK PURPLE RIGHT AWAY. WHEN HUNGRY, TRY A BIG SPOON OF CREAM CHEESE- THE HUNGER DISAPPEARS FOR HOURS DUE TO THE RISE IN BLOOD SUGAR OR WHATEVER. THE STOMACH NEVER FEELS EMPTY.