PDA

View Full Version : "Sourdough Rye" Rolls

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

doreen T
Fri, Nov-12-04, 22:56
Years ago, I was inspired by Dr. Atkins' original Revolution Rolls .. and I've attempted to make different versions which were less crumbly and also high fiber.• Doreen's Revolution Rolls (http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/bread108.html)
• Doreen's "multi-grain" Revolution Rolls (http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/bread112.html)

Those recipes included soy flour, which I've since chosen to eliminate from my diet. The following recipe is my best experiment so far, for a decent bun shape and texture which slices in half without crumbling, is delicious and not very complicated to make.

I hope you enjoy!!

Doreen's "Sourdough Rye" Rolls

3 eggs + 1 egg white
¼ tsp cream of tartar
2 Tbsp melted butter
1 tsp cider vinegar
2 - 3 Tbsp water
4 Tbsp flaxmeal
3 Tbsp raw wheat bran
1 tsp crushed caraway seeds
½ tsp granulated onion powder
½ tsp salt
1 packet SugarTwin (or 2 tsp bulk Splenda)

- preheat oven to 450°
- separate eggs; sprinkle cream of tartar over whites, set aside.
- blend yolks with melted butter, vinegar and 2 Tbsp water, add flaxmeal, bran, caraway seeds, onion powder, salt and sweetener. Batter may be stiff .. add up to an extra Tbsp water if it seems dry.
- using squeaky clean beaters, beat prepared egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
- fold yolk-flax mixture into whites, taking care not to overmix or break down the fluffy whites
- using a spatula or wooden spoon, make 6 high mounds on a Pam-sprayed baking sheet (I used a "muffin top" pan). Place in center of oven and immediately reduce heat to 300°. Bake for 15 min.
- reduce heat to 250°, bake an additional 15 min or till golden
- cool on rack, store in airtight container
- These flatten somewhat after cooling, but they can still be sliced in half without crumbling if you use a sharp knife.

Makes 6 buns, per bun:

118 calories
ECC: 1.1g
Fat: 9g
Prot: 6g
carb: 4.9
fiber: 3.8

Enjoy!! Here's a pic ..
http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/data/504/3rev_rolls.jpg

Doreen

AlaskaRoy
Wed, Dec-01-04, 17:09
Just a thought here: Has anyone seen RYE bran available for sale? Seems to me that it would be even more "rye" in this recipe. TIA.
Roy

MargaritaL
Fri, Jun-03-05, 14:10
Doreen:
I tried the rolls in this way:
6 eggs, separated whites and yolks
1/2 tspoon cremor tartar
3 pack splenda or equiv. liquid splenda
6 tbspoons of vital wheat gluten

Just the same way to do them.
Beat whites with tartar tiill stiff.
Apart beat yolks with sweetener till stiff, them mix both carefully, then, mix the gluten one spoon at the time, then put in the oven as you do with yours.
I think you are going to like them this way.
They crumb when fresh, but I put them in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and, after cool, the slice very well with a serrated knife.
Margarita

doreen T
Sat, Jun-04-05, 12:36
hi MargaritaL,

Those sound really great; thanks for posting the recipe! :thup:

Does it make 6 buns or ??? The whole recipe comes out to 12.6g carbs, so I guess you'd divide by the number of buns you make.

Doreen

MargaritaL
Mon, Jun-06-05, 14:47
Hi Doreen:
It is for 12 buns, sorry for not telling. I get 12 buns of good size. I use individual tart tins, they come in a hamburguer size.
Margarita