PDA

View Full Version : Ugh! I don't feel like I am losing enough weight!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jenn1974
Thu, Nov-11-04, 14:39
I have been on a strict low carb diet (under 20 grams of carbs daily) and I have ONLY lost roughly 9 lbs in 5 weeks. I started off weighing 187 and I weigh 179 now I thought you people lost weight faster than this on a strict low carb diet. Am I wrong with this assumption? Am I not dieting right? HELP! :help:

med234
Thu, Nov-11-04, 15:24
I lost 10 lbs in my first 5 weeks. It is kinda discouraging to read about the huge amounts some people lose, but some of us just do lose slower. Accept that, and keep at it!

Jenn1974
Thu, Nov-11-04, 16:48
Thanks for the encouraging words!

BawdyWench
Thu, Nov-11-04, 17:38
Everyone is different. You'll go crazy if you compare your loss to other people. Except if you choose those people who are losing more slowly than you are! :p

When I did Atkins Induction, I lost 6 pounds in the first 2 weeks, and then not another stinking pound for more than 2 months.

But, a pair of jeans I had that I couldn't even budge up over my thighs slipped up and even zipped after those 2 months of not losing.

Moral of the story? The scale is only one gauge. Measure yourself. And not just in one place. Do your neck, upper arms, lower arms, wrists, above the bust, the bust, right below the bust, halfway between your bust and your waist, your waist, halfway down, your hips, your upper thighs, right about your knees, your calves, your ankles.

You can ignore your earlobes for now! :lol:

Jenn1974
Thu, Nov-11-04, 17:45
Thank you for your encouragment with this. I feel a bit better about this hearing everyone else's stories on this subject. Thank you very much!

bev64
Fri, Nov-12-04, 07:42
Hi - I'm on my 6th week Atkins. Lost 13lb in the first 3 weeks then zilch for 2 - weigh day tommorrow - we'll see. 9lb is really good anyway - don't be dispirited :wave:

jagbender
Fri, Nov-12-04, 09:21
Weight loss and recompostion are two different things.
Make sure to take yout measurements. Sometinmes the scale doesn't move and you are still losing fat.
Also check out this thread.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=186291&highlight=hypothesis

Jag

Liv2Big
Sat, Nov-13-04, 10:11
Hey CONGRATS on getting in the 170's!! No more 180's for you. THATS HUGE!!!
I know it can be so frustrating when you are not losing as fast as you want to. But just think about it this way..... You are averaging about 2lbs a week. Keep going at that rate and you will be at your goal around JUNE!! WOO HOOO! Just in time for the bikini! :D And from what I have heard losing it slower does make it easier to keep it off.
When I started in Jan this year I was like I am so going to be at goal by October, losing 10lbs a month. Well the first 3 months I did lose 10 lbs a month. Since April I have lost 10. Now Im not saying I have been completely faithful either. But my mother n law made me feel better when she brought up the point that I have maintained my weight for about 8 months! Thats pretty important, I think. So it made me feel great. Im back on a losing streak and Im way more focused and motivated. Sometimes trying to block those darn negatives out and focusing on the positives helps immensely!
Good Luck! Sounds like you are doing great!

cutscarbs
Sun, Nov-14-04, 23:12
I had amazing success with low carb and love it! You should be very proud of your nine pounds, just put nine pounds of butter on the table and check out how much you've lost so far, it puts it into perspective somehow! I found I did better when I added more fat to my diet, a handful of macadamia nuts, or flax oil on my salad or in my protein drink, it's amazing what a little extra fat will do!! Never give up and always be proud of what you've done!

Debi

Genevieve7
Mon, Nov-22-04, 21:01
I have been doing low carb for about 16 days, im pretty sure ive stayed under 20 carbs a day this whole time... and i've lost about 10 lbs so far... i think lol. it seems that im a slightly different weight every time i step on the scale...

also, i am on lexapro and have been for about a year now, and im worried about it affecting my ability to loose weight on atkins... anyone have any experiences with that?

BTW my fiance has lost over 100lbs doing atkins... so after seeing him loose so much i feel like it isnt working for me seeing no more that 10 lbs in 2 weeks :(

toopoles
Mon, Nov-22-04, 22:45
Genevieve7,

Ten pounds in two weeks is good. Don't compare yourself to other people on the boards or with your fiance. Pick up a ten pound bag of sugar and go, hey, I lost this much. Ten pounds isn't a little, ten pounds is a lot. If you don't think so, go pick up that ten pound bag of sugar again. :lol:

At that rate of weight loss the Lexapro probably isn't interfering with your weight loss. (Start a journal)

And Jenn1974, nine pounds in five weeks is a great weight loss overall. I don't lose weight faster unless I am exercising. And often I lose inches before I lose pounds.

Have a great day you two. Marty

CherylAust
Tue, Nov-23-04, 01:29
Since I started this time around I've only lost about 10 pounds too. It's been well over 5 weeks for me. The first time I tried this I think I lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks.

tommiec68
Tue, Nov-23-04, 14:57
My husband and I started Atkins the same day and have eaten almost the exact things and amounts. Well 5 days into it he droped 12 lbs...me none. At 7 days he was at 13 and I was around 7. I went on Atkins a couple of years ago and lost 14 in 14 days but did not stick with it much past that. I too was starting to get frustrated but what the others were saying about measuring is correct. Even though the scale says I haven't lost anymore my clothes are getting looser. I am going to measure both of us tonight. I would rather loose inches than pounds any day. If you would like someone to talk to thats at about the same point as you I would love to hear from you.

sanfar
Wed, Nov-24-04, 19:19
This is some great advice from everyone. Thankyou. I also find weight loss happens more efficiently when I include more fat (cream and flax oil). I will measure and not just rely on the scales too!

neelix
Sat, Nov-27-04, 17:39
alwys remember you HAVE to eat. I sometimes don't eat breackfast and of course my body thinks i am starving and starts saving fat again! so remember even if its just some cheese you have to eat. keep up the good work!

nowonder
Sat, Nov-27-04, 19:01
First, Atkins is NOT the fastest way to lose wight. It is a diet that you can stick to long term, that isn't detrimental to your health, And most importantly one that works. If you are looking for a quick fix diet, you can do better elsewhere. If you want to lose it and keep it off, you are in the right place.

Second, I'm concerned that you are sticking below 20 carbs. Atkins says that there is no benefit to staying below 20. In fact, many here have found they lose better at higher carb counts. I've done best in the 40 - 50 carb range.

Finally, for best results, be sure to exercise. It's not optional. A good regiment of cardio and weight lifting will do wonders when combined with Atkins.

--nw

black57
Sat, Nov-27-04, 22:25
I agree with everything said. Nowonder, however, said something that I want to reiterate. Atkins does not force you lose weight. It gives your body the ability to lose weight on its own terms. Compare to the way your body gained weight on its own terms, it loses pretty much the same way. Men's bodies have the metabolism to lose weight considerable faster to us girls. We have issues that makes it difficult for our bodies to accept the fact tha the fat must go. Measuring is the ideal way to observe loss. My family had not seen me in over a year when I went to Ohio to visit them this summer. They couldn't believe how much weight I lost since last year. The fact of the matter is, according to the scale, I have not lost a single pound this year. But, the measuring tape states that I lost 12 inches. I do eat quite well on this woe.

hapee2lose
Sun, Nov-28-04, 07:09
Jenn1974 I know exactly how you feel, but I don't think the weight could come off fast enough for any of us. Of course, I did cheat once on Thanksgiving :o Just remember that you're 9lbs lighter and thats wonderful :thup: . This forum will help you feel better, just keep up the good work and try to stay off the scales, I know it's hard because I'm struggling with it but in time, we won't be able to wait to go shopping :D

Whammy
Sun, Nov-28-04, 14:04
Jen,
Congratulations on what you HAVE lost. And not to beat a dead horse but, as others have pointed out, the way your clothes fit is really the true indicator.
Great job and keep up the good work.

rae_rae21
Sun, Nov-28-04, 17:35
I have to agree with all the past posters. In the first couple of weeks on any diet, you will lose a pretty good amount of water weight. Once you get into ketosis,usually by day 3 i think, your body will then start to burn fat, which takes longer bc it's not just burning all that extra water you had stored. I dunno about you, but i'd much rather lose fat than water!! :lol: Either one is good though....I lost about 10 pounds or so in the first 2 weeks (again, that was water weight), and started to lose a lot slower thereafter...I was getting frustrated, and posted a message similar to yours...now, 3 months later, I have lost almost 40lbs, and still losing. You just gotta stick with it...don't compare yourself to anyone else..especially not to a man bc they lose much faster than women (not fair, but true!). Good Luck, and don't give up! This isn't a quick fix diet, it's a way of eating for life, so you gotta keep that in mind!!
Ashley
181/144/130