PDA

View Full Version : Out of Ketosis and I Don't Know Why!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bigblonde1
Thu, Nov-11-04, 06:25
I've done something to get myself out of keto and I don't know what I did.I'm out of induction and for the last few days my keto stix haven't been changing and I haven't lost anything this week.( I weigh once every week on Wednesday) Anyway here's an example of what I've been eating: ham & cheese omelette, decaf (or half-caf) coffee with splenda and 1tbsp coffee-mate (not the reduced carb kind, but it's supposed to have only 5g per tbsp), grilled shrimp kebobs (not battered, just seasoned with spices and brushed on butter) chicken salad (made with mayo, sugar-free sweet relish, and a dash of minced onions) wrapped in a LC tortilla (which is supposed to have 9g net carbs) hot & spicy pork rinds dipped in sour cream, peanuts ( about a half cup) , Russell Stover Net-Carb candy (about 2 pieces a day, which is supposed to have only 0.1g per piece) about 80-90 oz of water, 1 can of diet soda ( but only about once a month- I had one 2 days ago for the first time in months) That is the typical amount of food/ carbs I consume each day. Any ideas what I should change to get back into keto?

potatofree
Thu, Nov-11-04, 09:10
First, I'd ditch the coffee mate (yes, I know it has 5 grams per... but a packet of SUGAR only has 4...:D ) Also the sf candy (some people just can't handle the sugar alcohols, their body treats it very much like sugar). The half-cup of peanuts may have to go for a while too.

There is the possibility the strips have gone bad, but I would eliminate the carbier things I mentioned first and see what happens. :)

sunspine17
Thu, Nov-11-04, 09:15
I'd also reconsider the LC tortilla. I assume you have been in OWL for a while and have added each of these non-induction foods gradually? If so, I'd cut back on the last thing you added and work your way backwards like that to see if one certain food is the culprit. If you didn't add these OWL foods gradually, I'd go back to induction level carbs until you reach ketosis and then add one thing at a time according to the carb ladder.

BawdyWench
Thu, Nov-11-04, 17:41
My advice? Thow those flippin' sticks away! I've lost almost 40 pounds and never once registered on those dang sticks.

Don't obsess.

jagbender
Fri, Nov-12-04, 09:35
The ketostix are for urininary ketones. Some people don't show ketones in urine. Ketones show up in the blood forst but that testing is expensive.
I agree about all the franken foods tortillias and candy especially.
Also, some people have a problem with the citric acid in
diet soda's
Calories do count also
Here is an post
I believe that on Atkins you can get away with more calories for a while. I post a lot about BMR Basal Metobolic Rate.
Your BMR is what your body needs (resting) to maintain itself. You add calories to compensate for exercise and activity level.
Here is a link about BMR and how to calculate your level.
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Once you calculate your BMR then adjust for activity level.
To lose fat and not muscle you cut the adjusted rate 10-15%
Example:
BMR 2200 x adjuster (1.4) = 3080 (adjusted BMR)
3080 - 15% = 2618 calories a day
2618 would be the optimal calories intake a day to maintain muscle mass and lose fat.
Remember the difference between losing "weight" (fat and muscle) and losing FAT only. You want to keep your muscle to burn the fat. You want to lose fat for long term results.
A lot of "diets" out there you can lose "weight" but low carb and exercise helps you lose FAT and KEEP the muscle!

Jag