PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

gcediet
Wed, Nov-10-04, 10:20
I am a new user who just joined today. This forum seems great and I already found alot of answers to questions I have. I'm looking to lose 15-20 pounds which isn't a ton but I'm hoping this will work. I only started this past weekend but have lost 3lbs...I'm assuming after the first 5 or so it will become a little harder.
Any good suggestions for lunch? Breakfast is easy cause I love eggs and dinner is ok too. It seems lunch is my hardest meal when I'm at work.
Also, since I'm in my mid-twenties going out with my friends on the weekend is a pretty regular thing. Any suggestions about what drinks are better or worse?

Thanks...I look forward to becoming healthier with all of you :)

RAVIJESS
Wed, Nov-10-04, 10:32
I am pretty new too. I just started LC today. I am sitting at work with cheese and beef sticks to eat. Have you found any answers to the mid-day eating problems?
You asked about the "weekend drinks"? Are you talking alchohaulic? If you are a beer drinker, the low carb beers are still loaded with carbs. Not good for the diet. But if you drink mixed drinks you can always substitute a diet pop in the mix.

gcediet
Wed, Nov-10-04, 10:59
No, I haven't heard many suggestions about lunch so far. I do eat a salad for lunch once in awhile...but I am not one of those people who can eat salads at lunch everyday.
Yes for "weekend drinks" I did mean alcohol. I normally may have a beer or two when I am out but even low carb beers seem to have alot. I normally prefer diet soda to regular so that seems like my best bet. Good luck!

nanjack200
Wed, Nov-10-04, 14:29
Some lunch ideas:

Roast beef folded over cheese and fried in butter....like a grilled cheese sandwich, with no bread of course

Eggsalad (or any other type salad, tuna, chicken)

I typically rely on leftovers...or in a pinch will stop at taco bell and get taco supremes and scoop the good stuff out of the shell.

As for the liquor....most hard alcohol is low in carbs...rum and diet coke is my favorite. One word of caution though...it seems since I started Atkins, the liquor hits me much harder than it used to..so tread lightly.

gcediet
Wed, Nov-10-04, 14:50
Thanks for the lunch ideas. Really I just need to start thinking ahead the night before and bringing my lunch everyday.
With eating less I'm sure the diet coke and rum will hit alot harder...haha...thanks for the warning. I normally would only have one or two so I should be ok but was just wondering with the holidays coming!

LCanita
Thu, Nov-11-04, 10:08
Lunch ideas: I like lunchmeat and cheese rollups dipped in ranch dressing, celery spread with cream cheese, deviled eggs, homemade soups rich with low carb veggies, and homemade bean-less chili. Hope that helps!

nutsnseeds
Thu, Nov-11-04, 10:16
Today I am having a grilled chicken breast with melted pepper jack cheese on top and a slice of avocado. I can't wait!

astrocreep
Thu, Nov-11-04, 16:57
Ohh nutsnseeds I had that the other day, except I added some hot sauce and some sour cream on top in place of the avocado, it was yummy and a nice change from the norm!!

Anyways, for lunch I eat meat and a salad. I love caesar salad so I eat one EVERYDAY with my lunch LoL. In terms of meat I'll either eat a chicken leg, a chicken breast, a chunk of pork country rib, or a cheeseburger pattie with onion dipped in alil mayo. I've also taken LC chicken parmesan (dreded in LC bake mx). Well that's just me!!

I'm waiting for a good beef sale so I can make some beanless chili, then I'll prob take that to work periodically.

nikkil
Fri, Nov-12-04, 06:52
If you drink alcohol your body will burn the alcohol before it will burn any fat so it will slow you down regardless of carb count, FYI. Something to think about....

Lunch:

lots of good ideas already

tuna salad or egg salad, use cucumber slices or celery sticks to scoop it. Sometimes I put grated cheddar on top and warm it up in the microwave. I recently tried tuna salad and egg salad MIXED together and I thought it would be gross, but it was realllllly good!

leftovers are perfect

salad: loads of romaine and spinach, leftover chicken or steak sliced/chopped, bits of cheese, cucumber celery, peppers with dressing = a great meal

soup: I love creamy vegetable soup that I make at home and it lasts for days, great for a snack anytime and perfect for the chilly winter. Boild 1/2 a head of cauliflower in 4-5 cups of water with Chicken OXO (bouillon) until it's tender. While it's boiling put 1/2 c. of heavy whipping cream, 1/2 cup of cheddar cubes and some black pepper into a blender. When the cauliflower is soft, add the entire potful to the blender (broth and all) and puree it for about 30 seconds. Lots of times I add spinach, broccoli, zucchini to the mix -- it's awesome. You could fiddle around with the recipe until you get it how you like it!

deli platter: celery sticks, cucumber sticks/slices, dill pickle, those little wienies, rolled deli meat, different cheeses, olives, ranch dip, mustard, devilled eggs - "party platter"

coleslaw: buy the preshredded coleslaw mix in the produce section (no dressing) and make your own dressing with 1/2 c. mayo, 1 tbsp each of heavy cream and lemon juice, 1 tsp splenda and some pepper. This makes quite a bit, tho, so don't mix it with the salad all at once. WOW, this is so good with some lemon pepper chicken breasts on the side....

I like doing those preformed burger patties in a frying pan, top them with cheddar and Carb Options BBQ sauce and then have some kind of veggie on the side.

Canned green beans help me out in a pinch - I work 3 jobs, lots of shift work/graveyards, so I have canned gr. beans at all times :)

HTH,